Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Film franchises of 4 or more where only one movie is good, or alternatively EVERY movie sucks.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Film franchises of 4 or more where only one movie is good, or alternatively EVERY movie sucks.

Old 03-24-20, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The Twilight franchise comes to mind immediately. They are all trash.

There's gotta be some horror franchises.

The Howling or Leprechaun or maybe. (I haven't seen them all.)

10 points deducted for anyone who says Halloween.

Go.
Old 03-24-20, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Film franchises of 4 or more where only one movie is good, or alternatively EVERY movie sucks.

I think most of the Saw films are trash. The first two are alright. Pretty much beyond those I think they suck. Iím not really into torture kind of horror like those films are in the first place.
Old 03-24-20, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: Film franchises of 4 or more where only one movie is good, or alternatively EVERY movie sucks.

Species

Only the 1st one was a decent B movie.

Didn't like 2. 3 and 4 was like SyFy straight to video movies.

Old 03-24-20, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I suppose it could be argued that Jaws falls into this category. Although, I don't think Jaws 2 was terrible, so maybe not.
Old 03-24-20, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually found the first Twilight movie to be....Ok (At least it had some elements of horror which, surprisingly, worked) However, Nothing but garbage soon followed that one.

Sonny Chibaís Streetfighter series comes to mind. The sequels never came close to matching the insanity of the first movie (Although I do like both Sister Streetfighter movies)

Old 03-24-20, 08:34 PM

Received 203 Likes on 147 Posts

Transformers
Old 03-24-20, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The third Leprechaun movie in Vegas was the only one I’d say is good. The rest are just funny because they are so bad.
Old 03-24-20, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh, surprised I didn't think of this.

The Transformers series. Only the 1st one was the good one IMO. 2 was trash. 3 was somewhat watchable, but still not good. 4 and 5 sucked as well.

I don't count Bumblebee as it's a standalone reboot and very good.
Old 03-24-20, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Star Trek is the gold standard for alternating good/suck. (Though the '09 reboot flipped that script.)

And Star Wars is about 50/50 in the good:shit ratio -- it doesn't alternate movies, it's more a bell curve.
Old 03-24-20, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Star Trek is the gold standard for alternating good/suck. (Though the '09 reboot flipped that script.)

And Star Wars is about 50/50 in the good:shit ratio -- it doesn't alternate movies, it's more a bell curve.
He's saying only 1 movie was good and the rest was terrible.

I don't think those fit the criteria, Star Trek has more than 1 "good" movie for most and same goes with Star Wars,
Old 03-24-20, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most horror franchises follow the pattern of the first one or two being good, then precipitously dropping off in diminished returns -- Friday the 13th, Halloween, TCM, NOES, Howling, Species, etc.
Old 03-24-20, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
He's saying only 1 movie was good and the rest was terrible.

I don't think those fit the criteria, Star Trek has more than 1 "good" movie for most and same goes with Star Wars,
I misread the thread title "alternating movies suck." Small computer screen, and strained eyes.
Old 03-24-20, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I suppose it could be argued that Jaws falls into this category. Although, I don't think Jaws 2 was terrible, so maybe not.
Iíll throw it out that while itís not great I kind of like Jaws 3-D as a cheese fest. The first is a classic and the second is good in my opinion.

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Transformers
This is a good one. I only like the first one and Bumblebee. Every other sequel was hot garbage.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

I actually disagree with the general consensus with Star Trek that the even numbered ones are the good ones. The Final Frontier is bad and Insurrection felt more like a two part episode of TNG. I like the other odd numbered entries though. Into Darkness is my overall least favorite of any of them.
Old 03-24-20, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Children of the Corn series (I think they all suck, but a lot of people like the first one)

The Puppet Master series (or, really, any series that Charles Band has had a hand in, including the Trancers films [although, again, the first one is pretty good])

Josh noted the Howling films, and I wholeheartedly agree (again, only the first one is worth anyone's time)

Old 03-24-20, 10:51 PM

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

The only good Harry Potter movie is the third one.

Come at me.
Old 03-24-20, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
The only good Harry Potter movie is the third one.

Come at me.
On a similar note, all the Harry Potter movies I’ve liked and enjoyed are the ones that don’t feature Voldemort. That’s not a slam against the character or the actor, it’s just coincidental.
Old 03-25-20, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Resident Evil.
Old 03-25-20, 06:55 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The one that comes to my mind without thinking about it too much is Pumpkinhead. I really like the first one, but subsequent Pumpkinhead movies just seemed like retreads to me. Used to own all of them, sold all but the first one, which I consider to be a classic horror movie.
Old 03-25-20, 08:14 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Underworld series...
Old 03-25-20, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Only the first Jason Bourne film is good.
Old 03-25-20, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Only the first Jason Bourne film is good.
Hmm...I would argue this franchise does not meet the requirements of this thread, as with the exception of the very latest entry in the series (I think the one that was just called Jason Bourne, and even that film was okay, certainly not hot garbage like say the Species sequels of which I have seen them all but agree that only first is a rock solid film, and the 2nd is even worse than the DTV sequels) I think you could argue they actually improved with each film as I felt the third entry in the series was fantastic.
Old 03-25-20, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I also disagree about the Bourne movies. 1-3 were a solid trilogy. Legacy was meh. Jason Bourne after a long layoff was not great, but not hot garbage either. It has a pretty amazing chase sequence in Las Vegas.
Old 03-25-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

It could be argued that everything past the original Jurassic Park was bad.

Personally, I could say the first JP and then Jurassic World are the only two worthwhile JP movies. I see JW as a direct sequel to JP and can completely write off the rest.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-26-20)
Old 03-25-20, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

If every movie in a franchise sucked, how would you know? I mean, if you didn't like the first one or two you saw, why on earth would you continue watching more in the series??
Old 03-25-20, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

The second aand third Bourne movies, the Carnahan movies, aren’t that good. Doug Limon’s first outing is simple and slick and clean, almost retro in its approach to the European action thriller.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.