DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Film franchises of 4 or more where only one movie is good, or alternatively EVERY movie sucks. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650135-film-franchises-4-more-where-only-one-movie-good-alternatively-every-movie-sucks.html)

Toddarino 03-25-20 08:45 PM

Re: Film franchises of 4 or more where only one movie is good, or alternatively EVERY movie sucks.

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13711971)
If every movie in a franchise sucked, how would you know? I mean, if you didn't like the first one or two you saw, why on earth would you continue watching more in the series??

Glutton for punishment? I watch tons of bad movies.

dex14 03-25-20 08:47 PM

Re: Film franchises of 4 or more where only one movie is good, or alternatively EVERY movie sucks.

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13711971)
If every movie in a franchise sucked, how would you know? I mean, if you didn't like the first one or two you saw, why on earth would you continue watching more in the series??

If you’re going to talk shit about a movie, you should have at least seen it to back up the claims.

DJariya 03-25-20 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13711997)
The second aand third Bourne movies, the Carnahan movies, aren’t that good. Doug Limon’s first outing is simple and slick and clean, almost retro in its approach to the European action thriller.

Huh? Joe Carnahan never directed a Bourne movie.

Bourne Legacy was written and directed by Tony Gilroy.

dex14 03-25-20 08:51 PM

I guess he meant Greengrass.

DJariya 03-25-20 08:53 PM

How the hell do you mix up Joe Carnahan and Paul Greengrass? :lol:

They are nothing alike and Carnahan has hardly worked as a director in the last 10 years other than TV.

Fist of Doom Jr 03-26-20 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Toddarino (Post 13711600)
Resident Evil.

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13711637)
Underworld series...

:eek:

Jaymole 03-26-20 06:48 AM

Alvin and the Chipmunks

majorjoe23 03-26-20 08:15 AM

Resident Evil and Underworld are my picks. For Underworld, only the first movie is good. RE is all terrible.

GoldenJCJ 03-26-20 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jaymole (Post 13712239)
Alvin and the Chipmunks

Shit! There are 4+ Alvin and the Chipmunks movies?!

rocket1312 03-26-20 09:00 AM

I can't believe no one has said Highlander yet, although I do kind of like the second one in a "can't look away from a car crash" sort of way.

And sorry OP, feel free to take my 10 points, because Halloween absolutely qualifies. I'd also say Alien, but then I'd just be trolling.

fujishig 03-26-20 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jaymole (Post 13712239)
Alvin and the Chipmunks

If we're going to go with kids movies, man there's a ton. Like do we count stuff like Land Before Time where (I think) only the first one was a theatrical release and is also the only one anyone actually remembers?

I rewatched the Never Ending Story and while it's not a masterpiece, it's way way better than any of the sequels.

Jaymole 03-26-20 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13712302)
If we're going to go with kids movies, man there's a ton. Like do we count stuff like Land Before Time where (I think) only the first one was a theatrical release and is also the only one anyone actually remembers?

I rewatched the Never Ending Story and while it's not a masterpiece, it's way way better than any of the sequels.

I listed Alvin as there were 4 theatrical films (2007, 2009, 2011, 2015) and they all sucked.

fujishig 03-26-20 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jaymole (Post 13712328)
I listed Alvin as there were 4 theatrical films (2007, 2009, 2011, 2015) and they all sucked.

Oh I know. Kids franchises in general seem to go a little too long, even theatrically.

rexinnih 03-26-20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 13712293)
I can't believe no one has said Highlander yet, although I do kind of like the second one in a "can't look away from a car crash" sort of way.

And sorry OP, feel free to take my 10 points, because Halloween absolutely qualifies. I'd also say Alien, but then I'd just be trolling.

That's because there was only one Highlander movie and the TV Series. (Covers ears and sings loudly so no one else can say otherwise)

PhantomStranger 03-26-20 04:32 PM

Species: The Awakening, otherwise known as Species 4, is actually a decent b-movie and guilty pleasure. If you enjoy the Saw formula, they really don't fall off a cliff until Saw 4.

Ash Ketchum 03-26-20 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 13712293)

Yoshiaki Kawajiri (NINJA SCROLL) directed this anime version and it was great:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...f50ce71c0f.jpg

johnnysd 03-27-20 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by story (Post 13711500)
The only good Harry Potter movie is the third one.

Come at me.

Well it's by far my least favorite one. It also doesnt really feel like Harry Potter which is maybe why so many like it the most.

Josh-da-man 03-27-20 01:16 AM

It is a pattern with nearly all horror franchises that the first movie is the best, and they longer the franchises run, they more returns diminish.

Generally, the first two or three sequels to a classic horror movie will be good, though not up the quality of the first entry, but then they precipitously fall off into b-movie cliche and direct-to-video junk.

See Friday the 13th, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hellraiser, The Howling. I think Scream is the only one that really broke the mold and mostly maintained the quality through an entire series, and that's probably because it kept its talent, both behind the camera and in front of it, for its four-film run.

And speaking of Dimension, they've really turned the "direct-to-video junk" into an artform. Take one really good movie (The Crow, From Dusk Till Dawn, Mimic) or a pre-exsting franchise that they got the rights to (Children of the Corn, Hellraiser, Halloween) and start churning out quickie, low quality garbage that either had a weak theatrical run, or went direct-to-video.

~~ PAL ~~ 03-27-20 02:48 AM

The various Purges.

Technically I never saw the 4th one but I will go on a limb and proclaim that it "sucked" too...

PhantomStranger 03-27-20 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~ (Post 13712964)
The various Purges.

Technically I never saw the 4th one but I will go on a limb and proclaim that it "sucked" too...

The Purge should be mentioned where every movie in the franchise is incredibly weak. The tv show is probably better.

asianxcore 03-27-20 04:58 PM

The Land Before Time

After the initial 1988 film, there have been 13 sequels.