Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blow The Man Down (2020) -- S: Morgan Saylor, Sophie Lowe, Margo Martindale

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-16-20, 07:54 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Welcome to Easter Cove, a salty fishing village on the far reaches of Maine’s rocky coast. Grieving the loss of their mother and facing an uncertain future, Mary Beth & Priscilla Connolly cover up a gruesome run-in with a dangerous man. To conceal their crime, the sisters must go deeper into Easter Cove’s underbelly and uncover the town matriarchs' darkest secrets.

Written and directed by Bridget Savage Cole and Danielle Krudy, starring Morgan Saylor, Sophie Lowe and Margo Martindale. Blow The Man Down is coming only to Prime Video March 20.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8299768

Currently 100% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blow_the_man_down
Old 03-20-20, 09:06 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts
Re: Blow The Man Down (2020) -- S: Morgan Saylor, Sophie Lowe, Margo Martindale

Now up on Prime.
Old 03-20-20, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Looks very Fargo-esque ... will check it out in the next few days!
Old 03-20-20, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Watched this tonight and it was a big...meh.

The annoying daughter in Homeland is now the annoying sister in this movie. As mentioned above, it started out with a somewhat “New England Fargo” feel to it but it quickly lost that about 10 minutes in. After that, there wasn’t much character or heart to this. The entire plot very straight forward, almost too straight forward, where I was starting to hope for some sort of plot twist or something to keep me engaged. Ultimately it just meanders to an end without any sort of energy and very few interesting characters.

I went into this almost completely blind, only knowing what the two sentence plot synopsis said. I wasn’t sure if this was going to be a dark comedy or a serious thriller. Unfortunately, it wasn’t either, and honestly, I’m not sure it knew what it wanted to be. It played it serious for the most part but every once in a while decided to lighten it up with a singing sailor who breaks the fourth wall. None of that really meshed well.
Old 03-22-20, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Like GoldenJCJ, I am very disappointed it didn't turn out to be Fargo-esque. The story line was there for something on those lines, but I don't think there was an ounce of humor in this movie. Not even ironic humor like in A Serious Man.

Once I figured that out and got past it, I thought it was good enough. My critcism is that it was too straightforward. No real plot twists or surprises.
Old 03-23-20, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Watched this tonight and it was a big...meh.
I went into this almost completely blind, only knowing what the two sentence plot synopsis said. I wasn’t sure if this was going to be a dark comedy or a serious thriller. Unfortunately, it wasn’t either, and honestly, I’m not sure it knew what it wanted to be. It played it serious for the most part but every once in a while decided to lighten it up with a singing sailor who breaks the fourth wall. None of that really meshed well.
Completely agree. I enjoyed the sea shanties, but the rest of the movie was bland. There was no reason to care about any of the characters.
Old 06-28-20, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

Stumbled upon this tonight on Amazon Prime. I had never heard of it before so I checked Rotten Tomatoes before watching (98%), and I loved it. I watched the trailer afterwards and I can see why some would think it would be Fargo-esque. There are some similarities, but that's it. I thought it had a really solid and smart screenplay. And liked all of the performances. I checked IMDB too and saw it was co-directed by two women (Danielle Krudy and Bridget Savage Cole). And it was their first film. Impressive! I look forward to what they do next. This gets a solid 9/10 rating from me.
Old 06-29-20, 12:28 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Old 06-29-20, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Read the title and star and thought it was going to be more like the scene in White Girl. I am disappoint.