Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 03-12-20, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dex14
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news

Old 09-03-20, 07:17 PM

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,118 Posts
Re: COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news

Originally Posted by Decker
That is not helpful.
Old 09-03-20, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Production on 'The Batman" has halted again because Robert Pattinson tested positive for COVID-19:
https://deadline.com/2020/09/batman-...19-1234569959/
With filming on Matt Reeves’ The Batman having resumed only three days ago after pausing 5 1/2 months ago, the UK production at Warner Bros. Leavesden has stopped again after one of the people on the production turned up positive with COVID-19. Deadline has confirmed that star Robert Pattinson is the member of the production team who tested positive for the virus.

Said Warner Bros. this morning about the situation: “A member of The Batman production has tested positive for Covid-19, and is isolating in accordance with established protocols. Filming is temporarily paused.” No further information was provided by the studio in protecting their workers’ privacy.
Old 09-03-20, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,169 Likes on 4,199 Posts

Wow, that certainly throws a wrench in things. Of course he will have been around everyone in production. You have to wonder how he, and only he, became positive.
Old 09-03-20, 09:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

[peaks around corner - decides not to enter room]
Old 09-08-20, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

So just announced today. Orange County, CA has improved enough to move into the Red tier and movie theaters are now permitted to reopen. When exactly, not sure.

It's at 25% capacity. So that's good news that OC and San Diego in So Cal are now good to go. If they are permitted to reopen by Friday, I'll probably attempt to see either New Mutants or Tenet.
Old 09-09-20, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

So OC theaters are officially reopened. Regal has started opening them since yesterday. Bought my 1st ticket. Train to Busan presents: Peninsula. Seeing it tomorrow at the Regal in La Habra, CA, which is considered part of OC.

AMC has not opened yet.
Old 09-09-20, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

All I'll say is that the response is shitty. I've been on hold (in Canada) for the fourth time with no response. Nothing. And the bank has sent threatening letters. The credit cards have sent the same letters. And it doesn't doesn't matter. I try to contact them, and I get put on hold for hours and hours. I guess this is it. Oh well.
Old 09-09-20, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

I'll peace out for a bit I guess.
Old 09-09-20, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So OC theaters are officially reopened. Regal has started opening them since yesterday. Bought my 1st ticket. Train to Busan presents: Peninsula. Seeing it tomorrow at the Regal in La Habra, CA, which is considered part of OC.

AMC has not opened yet.
Cool. I'm curious what the theater experience will be like. I've been to theaters (non covid times) during the day where there's like nobody there, but I wonder what it's like at night time, especially concessions (which always seems like a long line even if there are only like five people in the entire theater).
Old 09-09-20, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Goonies85
All I'll say is that the response is shitty. I've been on hold (in Canada) for the fourth time with no response. Nothing. And the bank has sent threatening letters. The credit cards have sent the same letters. And it doesn't doesn't matter. I try to contact them, and I get put on hold for hours and hours. I guess this is it. Oh well.
Not sure what you're talking about here. Did you post this in the right thread?
Old 09-09-20, 04:03 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Not sure what you're talking about here. Did you post this in the right thread?
Probably not even in the right forum
Old 09-10-20, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk God

So I made it back to the theatre today. I went to an older Regal theatre in La Habra, CA.

Overall, it was a good experience. The theatre was super clean and as soon as I walked into the door, the ticket taker/scanner person was in the middle of wiping things down. I said to her "Welcome Back" and she was very appreciative. If you choose to go back, please be nice to the theatre staff. Many of them were out of work for over 6 months.

I went into the restroom after I got seated and there was a staff member cleaning the sink as I walked in.

Only 2 others were in the movie I went to see "Peninsula" and they were a row ahead of me and were respectful to the rules. They had masks on and every now and then, lowered their mask to eat popcorn and sip their soda. I also did the same every 10-12 minutes.

It was a good experience and almost felt like how theatre going was before the pandemic. I'm not overly paranoid when going out, so I don't have excessive amount of stress like some of you during these times. Just use good judgment and common sense. If you don't feel well, stay home. Don't overreact and think that movie-going is some kind of toxic wasteland. Some of the shit and overreaction I've read is laughable.
Old 09-11-20, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not far from you, DJariya. I haven't stepped foot into an AMC or Pacific Theaters in last August. Honestly, for the time being I don't mind not seeing things when they're in theater because I'm paranoid about getting sick. Which sucks, but I also don't mind paying $30 to stream it for 24 hours if it's available, or an outright "purchase".

I was disappointed Batman got shut down due to a positive case. I don't expect people to willingly endanger their lives, but I was looking forward to it being on time. Whatever that means these days.
Old 09-11-20, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Wall Street Journal is reporting that Wonder Woman 1984 will be delayed. I think they want to hold out a little longer until LA and NY theatres can open. Some people have noticed that there’s been almost marketing in the last month or so.

Update: Moved to Christmas

https://deadline.com/2020/09/wonder-...ne-1234575379/

Last edited by DJariya; 09-11-20 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-11-20, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

So I made it back to the theatre today. I went to an older Regal theatre in La Habra, CA.

Overall, it was a good experience. The theatre was super clean and as soon as I walked into the door, the ticket taker/scanner person was in the middle of wiping things down. I said to her "Welcome Back" and she was very appreciative. If you choose to go back, please be nice to the theatre staff. Many of them were out of work for over 6 months.

I went into the restroom after I got seated and there was a staff member cleaning the sink as I walked in.

Only 2 others were in the movie I went to see "Peninsula" and they were a row ahead of me and were respectful to the rules. They had masks on and every now and then, lowered their mask to eat popcorn and sip their soda. I also did the same every 10-12 minutes.

It was a good experience and almost felt like how theatre going was before the pandemic. I'm not overly paranoid when going out, so I don't have excessive amount of stress like some of you during these times. Just use good judgment and common sense. If you don't feel well, stay home. Don't overreact and think that movie-going is some kind of toxic wasteland. Some of the shit and overreaction I've read is laughable.
Were the seats assigned (I realize not every theater did this pre covid but I would think at this point they would)? The one thing that worries me about going to the theater is the recycled air, which was brought up in that article where the "experts" said opening theaters was a terrible idea. Concession stand lines you can control yourself, same with seating arrangements and such, but if the recycled air is really a problem that's not something you can really do anything about.
Old 09-11-20, 12:07 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Wall Street Journal is reporting that Wonder Woman 1984 will be delayed. I think they want to hold out a little longer until LA and NY theatres can open. Some people have noticed that there’s been almost marketing in the last month or so.
Christmas now. And apparently they aren’t moving Dune (as of now) because they think there is room for both which is really stupid.
Old 09-11-20, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
Were the seats assigned (I realize not every theater did this pre covid but I would think at this point they would)? The one thing that worries me about going to the theater is the recycled air, which was brought up in that article where the "experts" said opening theaters was a terrible idea. Concession stand lines you can control yourself, same with seating arrangements and such, but if the recycled air is really a problem that's not something you can really do anything about.
From Regal's website:

The Auditorium

• Guests will be required to wear face masks at all times while in the auditoriums. Masks can be removed inside the auditorium only while eating and drinking. Employees monitor auditoriums throughout each performance as standard practice. Where socially unacceptable behavior is observed, including the non-wearing of a mask, this will be addressed with the patron.
  • Where required by state or county mandate, auditorium capacities will be reduced to 50%.
  • We are Increasing our fresh air intake by 50%-100% above normal levels (which will help circulate more fresh air throughout auditoriums).
  • Our reservation system will maintain two empty seats between groups (1 seat at recliner locations) to maintain proper social distancing throughout the movie.
  • At theatres where performances are non-reserved, you will be requested to leave two seats between groups.
  • Group sizes will only be limited where required by a state or county mandate.
Old 09-16-20, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Christopher Nolan was at the Regal Cinemas in Irvine this week. This is at the Irvine Spectrum and was newly renovated,

He was not there to promote Tenet though. He and his wife were there to see the Broken Hearts Club.
Old 09-16-20, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Christopher Nolan was at the Regal Cinemas in Irvine this week...He was not there to promote Tenet though. He and his wife were there to see the Broken Hearts Club.
That Tweet was to promote Tenet. Note the banner at the top of the image.

I'm pretty sure that's a video screen, so they likely either had to wait for Tenet to be showing, or deliberately set the system to show it, to take the photo. He'd look like an ass if he stated he went to see his own movie though, and he's likely interested in other films.
Old 09-22-20, 02:58 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Name a type of film and Ben Affleck has made it. He's won an Oscar for writing a small-scale drama, he's directed a mid-budget heist classic (and a Best Picture winner), and he's been Batman. But, like all of Hollywood, the decorated multi-hyphenate has no idea what the future holds for his industry.

With the uncertainty regarding theaters and the traditional release model, EW recently examined whether COVID will forever kill the Event Movie (please let Tom Cruise go to space first!). Speaking to EW for the 10th anniversary of The Town, his first go-around as star and director, Affleck shared his honest — and slightly grim — thoughts on what comes next for film.

"I don't know what will be the reality post-COVID," he admits. "Who knows what the theatrical business will be like. What I think has happened is that people have grown accustomed during this time to watching from home. It benefited The Way Back, for sure. [Affleck's recent drama made only $14 million in its two weeks in theaters before the pandemic pushed it to VOD.] It had just come out so I think the ability to see a new movie at home enabled us to get many more viewers than would have come out to a theater to pay money to see a sad movie about an alcoholic dealing with the death of his child. People have now been acculturated to streaming and watching movies at home in ways they weren’t before, which probably accelerated a trend that was already taking place."

As a filmmaker, Affleck has lived in the middle, making films for adults that cost hundreds of millions less than the blockbusters he's starred in. And he's continuing that trend with his next directorial outing, an adaption of the book The Big Goodbye: Chinatown and the Last Years of Hollywood, which chronicles the behind-the-scenes story of the 1974 noir classic Chinatown. Despite that project being in development at a studio in Paramount, Affleck doesn't see much of a theatrical future for the types of movies he's become known for.

"I think after COVID movies like The Town, movies like Argo, all the movies I made would effectively end up on streamers," he speculates. "There will probably be like 20 to 25 movies a year that are distributed and they’ll all be big IP movies, whether it’s the type of movies that Disney makes like Aladdin or Star Wars or Avengers, something where you can count on the low-end being half a billion dollars worth of business. And I think it’s going to be very, very difficult for dramas and sort of mid-budget movies like [The Town] to get theatrical distribution. You’ll either see massive, massive movies getting huge wide-scale distribution or small movies doing little prestige releases in a few theaters but mostly being shown on streamers. I think that’s for better or worse, and you can draw your own conclusions, but that would be my best guess about the direction of the movie business just based on what I’m seeing now and experiences I’m having trying to get stuff made."

Affleck admits — and hopes — that he may be wrong, but he specifically points to two success stories at Netflix to support his theory. Premiering back in April, Chris Hemsworth's action extravaganza Extraction has already been named Netflix's most-viewed original film of all-time, while also landing in the streamer's top 10 is Affleck's Triple Frontier, which reportedly garnered 63 million views in its first four weeks of release last year.

"Triple Frontier did really well for them," says Affleck. "Would it have been as successful and profitable theatrically? I don't know. But I know it was super successful for them, so the economics may really be shifting so that if you can generate a certain amount of viewership and if they can somehow demonstrate that they get a certain number of subscribers based on that material, then that means value. I think that's the future and it just sort of is what it is. I comfort myself with the idea that you can get a 60-inch TV now for $250, so people are definitely at least seeing it in greater detail, and even a little surround system isn’t that expensive. Now, I don’t particularly love the idea of putting all of the work that you put into a movie and then having somebody watch it on their iPhone; I feel like they’re just going to miss out on a lot. But, you know, sometimes the future makes up its own mind and you just have to go along with it."
https://ew.com/movies/ben-affleck-fu...7LdXmLBSEBRGfk
Old 09-23-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

From EW.com (this expands on the "Black Widow" announcement):

Well, it happened. After the experiment of studios releasing movies like Tenet and The New Mutants in theaters during the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, Disney has officially moved some of its bigger releases, including Black Widow and West Side Story, to 2021.

The Scarlett Johansson-fronted Marvel movie is now set for theaters on May 7, 2021, and West Side Story has been shifted a year to Dec. 10, 2021. This now makes for a rare year without any big Marvel Studios movie release, though Disney+ still has its WandaVision series on the schedule for this year.

Other shifts include Death on the Nile moving to Dec. 18 of this year; The Empty Man moving up from Dec. 4 to Oct. 23; Eternals moving to Nov. 5, 2021; Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings moving to July 9, 2021; Deep Water moving to Aug. 13, 2021; and The King's Man moving up a couple of weeks to Feb. 12, 2021.

Old 09-23-20, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
From EW.com (this expands on the "Black Widow" announcement):

Well, it happened. After the experiment of studios releasing movies like Tenet and The New Mutants in theaters during the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, Disney has officially moved some of its bigger releases, including Black Widow and West Side Story, to 2021.

The Scarlett Johansson-fronted Marvel movie is now set for theaters on May 7, 2021, and West Side Story has been shifted a year to Dec. 10, 2021. This now makes for a rare year without any big Marvel Studios movie release, though Disney+ still has its WandaVision series on the schedule for this year.

Other shifts include Death on the Nile moving to Dec. 18 of this year; The Empty Man moving up from Dec. 4 to Oct. 23; Eternals moving to Nov. 5, 2021; Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings moving to July 9, 2021; Deep Water moving to Aug. 13, 2021; and The King's Man moving up a couple of weeks to Feb. 12, 2021.
Damn, over a year wait for The Eternals. And of course, covid numbers could be even worse next year.
Old 09-23-20, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Bigger moves than anticipated, wow. But, it's not like there's going to be a big difference between Nov and Feb, so they skipped it.
Old 09-23-20, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
Bigger moves than anticipated, wow. But, it's not like there's going to be a big difference between Nov and Feb, so they skipped it.
There's going to be this event in November that may make a big change in how the US government is reacting to the COVID-19 pandemic by February.
Old 09-23-20, 06:04 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
There's going to be this event in November that may make a big change in how the US government is reacting to the COVID-19 pandemic by February.
Go on....

I hear this all the time. What does it mean?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.