Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gunpowder Milkshake (2021) -- S: Gillan, Bassett, Headey, Gugino, Yeoh, Giamatti

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gunpowder Milkshake (2021) -- S: Gillan, Bassett, Headey, Gugino, Yeoh, Giamatti

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Gunpowder Milkshake (2021) -- S: Gillan, Bassett, Headey, Gugino, Yeoh, Giamatti

There is literally a poster in this thread showing the release date......come the fuck on man. Seriously. Your shit is getting tiresome.

Last edited by Deftones; 07-14-21 at 10:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (07-14-21)
Old 07-14-21, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: Gunpowder Milkshake (2021) -- S: Gillan, Bassett, Headey, Gugino, Yeoh, Giamatti

Why is there a poster for streaming? Where the hell does this poster ever actually appear?

(I thought it was funny.)
Old 07-15-21, 05:48 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

This movie was disappointing. It has all the pieces to become a cult classic. Unfortunately, it doesn't live up to the potential.

It looks fantastic. Some of the sets are amazing. I give it extra points for that alone. However, it's all style and no substance. There was lots of action, but none of it felt authentic. Karen Gillan is charming as hell, but she wasn't a credible assassin. I love the cast, but none of the characters felt realistic. It was like a fake John Wick movie with a fake Tarantino script.

I really wanted to enjoy it. It wasn't awful. Worth watching once. But I doubt I'll ever watch it again.
Old 07-15-21, 07:40 AM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Streaming in how many weeks?
We get it.
Old 07-15-21, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Streaming in how many weeks?
It's on Netflix now. Don't think it would get released as a VOD elsewhere anytime soon if ever...
OldBoy (07-16-21)
Old 07-15-21, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Was solid, entertaining...but also too far on the silly side. I prefer my action movies to be dark, gritty, with no physics-defying bullshit. For example, I prefer Wrath of Man over this. The hospital scene in particular had me rolling my eyes. Also this movie is guilty of trying to be too cute, witty, and funny with its dialogue. Very, very few writers can pull it off without becoming cringey
Old 07-15-21, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

It was ok. I enjoyed the production design, weapon/gunplay, but found the hand to hand combat choreography weak. Not once did I think Karen could hold her own if she didn't have a weapon at her disposal.

The 4K DV and Atmos was great.
Old 07-15-21, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

My wife and I enjoyed it - back half was better than the first (which is rare for these kinds of movies) but overall, pretty good.

Old 07-15-21, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Production was good but tried way, way too fucking hard to be John Wick. I did enjoy seeing Bassett, Gugino and Yeoh kick ass. Karen Gillian is not a great actress at all.
Old 07-16-21, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Guess I'm in the minority here. I loved it all - the over-saturated colors, the logic defying fight scenes, the dialogue, the music, the look. It delivered everything I expected it to.
Style over substance? Who the fuck cares? Not me - that's who.

And man, I love Karen Gillan.
Old 07-16-21, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Guess I'm in the minority here. I loved it all - the over-saturated colors, the logic defying fight scenes, the dialogue, the music, the look. It delivered everything I expected it to.
Style over substance? Who the fuck cares? Not me - that's who.

And man, I love Karen Gillan.
I wouldn't go as far as this, but I enjoyed it. I try not to get so nit-picky as to not have an okay time with anything.

And I'm a fan of Karen, too. She came out here to the local comic-con a few years ago. Of course I had to get her to sign a Nebula photo so I could say hello. She seemed even taller in person.
Pointyskull (07-16-21)
Old 07-16-21, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It’s like Baby Driver meets John Wick. Awful
Old 07-17-21, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Thought it was OK. It picked up some when the girl from Big Little Lies showed up, but it was just too much after they went back to the library. Plus any movie that
Spoiler:
kills off Carla Gugino
is asking a lot of me.
Old 07-17-21, 11:01 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Disposable entertainment, and a waste of talent. Yeah, Baby Driver, John Wick (now in a library!) and with Karen Gillan’s character wearing that jacket from the bowling alley, I was expecting her to carry a hammer and do some moves like Drive. The only semi-funny part was her not being able to use her arms, and the girl had her tape the knife and gun to her. Overall, it’s Netflix and their offers that’s having diminishing returns.

And while I appreciated they were going for the stylistic look, it didn’t work well, and the music was even worse. Whoever picked the music needs to be taken back to the woodshed.
Old 07-17-21, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Parts of this movie are a total blast to sit through. Other parts...not so much. The plot is cobbled together from iconic action movies (John Wick, The Professional, etc.), but given an aggressive female makeover, and the style borrows heavily from Johns Wick and Woo, and features lots of Sergio Leone-esque closeups as Morricone-esque music blares on the soundtrack. But the whole shebang feels a bit more like an affectionate homage than just lazy filmmaking. And when it comes together near perfectly, such as during a violent hospital shootout when our heroine has to face off with a trio of goons while her arms are paralyzed, the results are loads of fun.

On the other hand, a running gag involving laughing gas, feels labored and out of place. The movie also has a surplus of bad guys, but aside from an underused Paul Giamatti, who offers a minor dose of character development as a good/bad father figure, they are all simply cartoonish cannon fodder, just waiting for the opportunity to have their throats cut or brains blown out. And the movie's attempts to add dramatic depth to its scenario via the mother-daugther dynamic (between Gillan and Headey, or Gillan and the little girl she's protecting), generally have little impact. But the cast is likable (and seems to be having a great deal of fun), the extended action setpieces -- while not always exciting -- come fast and furious, and the direction has style and energy to burn. Gunpowder Milkshake may not go down as smoothly as one would have hoped, but it has just enough positive ingredients to avoid leaving a bitter aftertaste.
Old 07-18-21, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Parts of this movie are a total blast to sit through. Other parts...not so much. The plot is cobbled together from iconic action movies (John Wick, The Professional, etc.), but given an aggressive female makeover, and the style borrows heavily from Johns Wick and Woo, and features lots of Sergio Leone-esque closeups as Morricone-esque music blares on the soundtrack. But the whole shebang feels a bit more like an affectionate homage than just lazy filmmaking. And when it comes together near perfectly, such as during a violent hospital shootout when our heroine has to face off with a trio of goons while her arms are paralyzed, the results are loads of fun.

On the other hand, a running gag involving laughing gas, feels labored and out of place. The movie also has a surplus of bad guys, but aside from an underused Paul Giamatti, who offers a minor dose of character development as a good/bad father figure, they are all simply cartoonish cannon fodder, just waiting for the opportunity to have their throats cut or brains blown out. And the movie's attempts to add dramatic depth to its scenario via the mother-daugther dynamic (between Gillan and Headey, or Gillan and the little girl she's protecting), generally have little impact. But the cast is likable (and seems to be having a great deal of fun), the extended action setpieces -- while not always exciting -- come fast and furious, and the direction has style and energy to burn. Gunpowder Milkshake may not go down as smoothly as one would have hoped, but it has just enough positive ingredients to avoid leaving a bitter aftertaste.
My thoughts exactly. It was good Friday night entertainment but little else. While I don't know if one could call it influence, stylistically it seemed like the filmmakers were trying to imitate a Zack Snyder movie. It worked at parts, but not overall. Gillan was okay, but was essentially just playing Nebula without the make up.
Old 07-19-21, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's one of the few movies I honestly wish I had given up on. It's such a disappointment given the cast for this one. Just not cohesive and I suppose the best thing I can say is I did not pay good money in theaters to see it.
spainlinx0 (08-10-21)
Old 07-19-21, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

This movie was so bad. Some decently filmed action but I was completely bored throughout. None of the characters mattered, none of the plot mattered; I kept hoping for something in the story to make it worth my time but it never showed up. Just a bunch of terrible people murdering another bunch of terrible people for what amounted to no reason.
spainlinx0 (08-10-21)
Old 07-20-21, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Am I alone in that every time I hear the title I think of this game?

I watched this last night. It was pretty to look at and some of the action was inventive, but the story was cliched and the dialogue was terrible. Plus I didn't buy Gillan as a bad ass professional killer. (It's silly to say that she's more believable in that role when she's a blue cyborg, but here we are.) It gets bonus points for managing to merge my Carla Gugino appreciation with my thing for hot librarians, though.

This movie reminded me of another Netflix original, Polar. That was another flashy John Wick clone, but much more disappointing. I had very high hopes for it because of Mads.
Old 07-20-21, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Interesting movie. I liked it. Reminded me of Kingsman comedic violence.

I don’t understand the title.

I wouldn’t mind a sequel.
Old 07-21-21, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
It's one of the few movies I honestly wish I had given up on. It's such a disappointment given the cast for this one. Just not cohesive and I suppose the best thing I can say is I did not pay good money in theaters to see it.
It was actually one of the very few movies that I have ever given up on. I might try again at some point as it might have been me but I could only take 10 mins of it before watching something else. I absolutely love the cast in it as well but the dialogue was so bad.
Old 07-21-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Interesting movie. I liked it. Reminded me of Kingsman comedic violence.

I don’t understand the title.

I wouldn’t mind a sequel.
I think it's a simple juxtaposition of the fact she liked milkshakes with Mom at the diner and was an assassin and used guns.
Old 07-21-21, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I thought it was ok, but don't have any desire to watch it again. It took a bit to accept how over-stylized it was, as well as how terrible the dialogue generally was. The laughing gas gag went on way too long, and I didn't really feel like there was much to the plot. The action was generally pretty fun though.
Old 07-21-21, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I think it's a simple juxtaposition of the fact she liked milkshakes with Mom at the diner and was an assassin and used guns.
I initially thought that as well, but I thought maybe there was some deeper metaphorical meaning.

If not, then it is a stupid title.

EDIT - I just googled the title meaning and a result from Urban Dictionary came up (NSFW)
Spoiler:
Gunpowder Milkshake
a horrifying sex act involving a lighter, pubic hair, spit and a butt

Old 07-22-21, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Why is there a poster for streaming? Where the hell does this poster ever actually appear?
Bus stops, subway stops, inside subway cars, phone booths....

Also, never underestimate the power of having a "traditional" poster for various online and social media platforms.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.