Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bob Iger out as Disney CEO - Bob Chapek in [2022 Update - Chapek out, Iger in]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bob Iger out as Disney CEO - Bob Chapek in [2022 Update - Chapek out, Iger in]

Old 11-21-22, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,582 Posts
re: Bob Iger out as Disney CEO - Bob Chapek in [2022 Update - Chapek out, Iger in]

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I mean Iger had a successful run no doubt but realistically how long is he going to stay around?

I looked it up and he’s 71 so I wouldn’t imagine he’ll want to stay as CEO and take time away from retirement for too long.

Just long enough to get someone else under his wing that’s a more worthy successor and who will be a better fit maybe?

He signed on for two years.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (11-23-22)
Old 11-21-22, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,786 Likes on 2,550 Posts
re: Bob Iger out as Disney CEO - Bob Chapek in [2022 Update - Chapek out, Iger in]

Maybe he’ll make the parks less of a sucky experience? Disneyland has really gone down the tubes, as far as visitor experience goes, under Chapek’s watch.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
John Pannozzi (11-23-22), tanman (11-23-22)
Old 11-21-22, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 142 Posts
Re: Bob Iger out as Disney CEO - Bob Chapek in [2022 Update - Chapek out, Iger in]

When I read the CNN headline, "Bob Iger named Disney CEO," my brain broke, and I couldn't make sense of it. Was this a necro'd article from 20 years ago?

Anyway, this is good news. Hopefully, he can fix up Disneyland before I visit for the first time in 21 years in February.
Old 11-21-22, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Bob Iger out as Disney CEO - Bob Chapek in [2022 Update - Chapek out, Iger in]

Iger doesn’t run the parks. Josh D’Amaro is the CEO of the parks. Iger oversees the Walt Disney corporation as a whole. But he is D’Amaro’s boss.

https://disneyconnect.com/dpep/leaders/josh-damaro/
John Pannozzi (11-23-22)
Old 11-21-22, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 502 Likes on 358 Posts

Chapek just laid off a shit ton of people so... he can be the scapegoat and Iger can be seen as the savior?

Old 11-21-22, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Holy shit. 2 years later. Chapek out, Iger unretires
It's good to see them make this move. Chapek's actions should have consequences, hopefully the other Bob can right the ship. Disney is not in a great spot - both of their animation studios revenues are way down (or gone for D+), Lucasfilm is a mess, Marvel Studios is not the powerhouse it was....and how in the world is Disney+ not making money?!

Last edited by Artman; 11-21-22 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-21-22, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Yeah, MCU Phase Four is running on fumes. I think people are finally figuring out that the individual MCU movies just aren't that good and that the real appeal of it in the first three phases was that it was definitely leading to something. Phase Four, despite the "Multiverse Saga" destination, just feels like a rudderless ship crewed by a bunch of JV and C-list superheroes.

I think they made a huge mistake killing off characters like Tony Stark and Steve Rogers instead of just recasting them when the actors moved on. If you're going to bring in the Fantastic Four and X-Men, I think that people are going to want to see them interacting with Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanov, and Tony Stark, not Sam, Riri, and Yelena.

And I still don't think they know how to make Star Wars work. I think that they're stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place where the hardcore fans want to see them make things like Knights of the Old Republic and expand the mythology, and Joe Sixpack just wants to see them keep going back to the Skywalker/Empire/Rebellion/Jedi/Sith stuff that they saw in Episodes I-VI.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
John Pannozzi (11-23-22), PhantomStranger (11-23-22)
Old 11-22-22, 05:26 PM

Received 3,245 Likes on 2,205 Posts

I can’t imagine this could happen.

Old 11-23-22, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 608 Likes on 430 Posts

I REALLY hope not. I know that rumor was making the rounds a few years ago. I guess people are speculating just because Apple is strapped with so much cash? I mean does Apple even want to buy Disney? I can't really make sense of it in my totally unbusiness savvy brain.

If that really happens then it would seem Disney's returning savior would be it's doom.
John Pannozzi (11-23-22)
Old 11-23-22, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 502 Likes on 358 Posts

So Apple is buying Disney, Sony and who else?
Old 11-23-22, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 551 Likes on 475 Posts

Iger has come back for one reason - he wants a bidding war between Amazon and Apple over Disney. Disney wants to sell now because Phase 4 is not looking like a box office juggernaut anymore and their IPs are waning in popularity. They overpaid for Fox and they've run the Star Wars brand into the ground, which used to be a license to print money in merchandising.

Many of Disney's problems are issues Iger created in the first place. He let Chapek be the fall guy.
Old 11-23-22, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't buy the Apple rumor. I highly highly doubt Apple wants to deal with amusement parks, clothing, toys and cruise ships. They're a tech company.

Remember the disastrous merger between NBC and that Wine company. That literally put that Wine company in bankruptcy.
John Pannozzi (11-23-22)
Old 11-23-22, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I don't buy the Apple rumor. I highly highly doubt Apple wants to deal with amusement parks, clothing, toys and cruise ships. They're a tech company.

Remember the disastrous merger between NBC and that Wine company. That literally put that Wine company in bankruptcy.
That's what I'm wondering. Apple is a pretty smart company. Why would they want to get in to all that? Is it really just because they have so much cash that this rumor keeps coming up? The only thing I can see is if they buy Disney just for their movie studio to create more content for their crappy Apple TV service. Then I can see them spinning off the rest of the business. It would be terrible for Disney and for fans as it would just rip the company apart. Really hope that doesn't happen.
Old 11-23-22, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Iger has come back for one reason - he wants a bidding war between Amazon and Apple over Disney. Disney wants to sell now because Phase 4 is not looking like a box office juggernaut anymore and their IPs are waning in popularity. They overpaid for Fox and they've run the Star Wars brand into the ground, which used to be a license to print money in merchandising.

Many of Disney's problems are issues Iger created in the first place. He let Chapek be the fall guy.
They've been in way worse situations then they're in now. They're still profitable just not enormously so. I don't buy that he's wanting to sell the company.
Old 11-24-22, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 924 Likes on 642 Posts

There is a less than zero chance apple buys Disney. The only way this works is if they keep the entertainment part of Disney but then somehow spin off the entertainment part of the company(theme parks, cruises, etc,).

Last edited by Deftones; 11-25-22 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-25-22, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
There is a less than zero chance apple buys Disney. The only way this works is if Disney somehow spins off the entertainment part of the company, but keeps the theme park stuff.
That's the only thing that worries me. Apple could do that after buying Disney if they just wanted the studio. It wouldn't be good for Disney though.

And that's exactly what the plan was when Disney fought off a hostile takeover attempt in the 80's. The investment firm had plans to chop up the company to bits.

Last edited by tanman; 11-25-22 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-25-22, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,153 Posts

I recently read somewhere that Apple is only interested in buying ABC and ESPN, and not the entire Disney company.