Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Train to Busan Presents: Peninsula (2020)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 07:31 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

South Korea’s Contents Panda has sold director Yeon Sang-ho’s upcoming action film Peninsula, a sequel to the 2016 cult zombie action flick Train to Busan, to 15 territories, including North America (Well Go USA) and U.K. (Studio Canal). 

The film, set four years after the ending of the previous disaster flick, is described as a thought-provoking post-apocalyptic film about people fighting to escape the land ruined by disaster.

Yeon built his career as a director of several acclaimed feature animations, including Seoul Station and King of Pigs. In 2016, Train to Busan, the director’s first feature film, debuted at Cannes Film Festival and became one of South Korea's biggest box office hits of the year.

Aside from the U.K. and U.S. markets, Peninsula was also sold to France (ARP SAS), Latin America (BF Distribution), In-flight (Emphasis), Philippines (Pioneer Films), Taiwan (Movie Cloud), Australia and New Zealand (Purple Rain), Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam (Clover Films), Hong Kong (EDKO), Japan (Gaga Corp), Spain (A Contracorriente Films), Germany, Benelux (Splendid Film), Thailand (Sahamongkol Film) and India (Kross Pictures).

The deals were announced at Berlin's European Film Market.

"Train to Busan is timeless," said Well Go. "Four years after its North American release, it's still one of our top performing titles. Our fans can't get enough of it, so when we heard about Peninsula, we knew that not only was this a title that belongs under the Well Go brand, but also a story we wanted to continue to tell."

"We’re very eager to bring Peninsula to Japanese audiences. We expect they will enjoy the much-anticipated sequel to Train to Busan," said an exec from Japan’s Gaga.

A distribution executive at France’s ARP added: "After the very fun ride that was last Train to Busan, we are happy to follow up with the same creative team and director Yeon Sang-ho. We are looking forward to bringing French audiences on this trip to Peninsula."

The film, which began shooting in June, is currently in postproduction and is set to be released in Korean theaters in the summer.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...sequel-1280336
Old 02-22-20, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
re: Peninsula (2020) -- Train to Busan "sequel"

I really hope the sequel leans closer to Train than Seoul Station. The former is a modern classic and easily one of the best zombie films to come out in the past decade. The latter is a really heavy-handed sidequel that had characters who were really hard to get behind and a downbeat vibe throughout.

I’m guessing Yeon had put his focus on the live action film and worked on Seoul Station on the side. I’m hoping the same care and attention that went into Train is what we get for Peninsula.
Old 02-28-20, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Looking forward to this!
Old 02-28-20, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Cool! I finally watch Train to Busan last weekend
Old 02-28-20, 11:54 AM

Although it is already being billed in some places as a “sequel to Train To Busan”, the director says, “Peninsula is not a sequel to Train To Busan because it’s not a continuation of the story, but it happens in the same universe.”

Budgeted at roughly twice Train To Busan’s $8m and starring top actor Gang Dong-won (1987: When The Day Comes) with Lee Jung-hyun (The Battleship Island), Peninsula takes place four years after the outbreak of zombies that were chasing protagonists on a train speeding south to Busan. The Korean peninsula is devastated and Jung-seok, a former soldier who has managed to escape overseas, is given a mission to go back and unexpectedly meets up with survivors.
https://www.screendaily.com/news/tra...147347.article
Old 02-28-20, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Even better!
Old 03-24-20, 07:56 AM

re: Train to Busan Presents: Peninsula (2020)

First Look: ‘Peninsula’, Yeon Sang-ho’s follow-up to ‘Train To Busan’ (exclusive)

Korean director Yeon Sang-ho doesn’t think it’s quite right to call Peninsula “an official sequel” to his zombie thriller Train To Busan, which became an international hit in 2016.

“It takes place four years after Train To Busan, in the same universe, but it doesn’t continue the story and has different characters,” says the filmmaker. “Government authority has been decimated after the zombie outbreak in Korea, and there is nothing left except the geographical traits of the location – which is why the film is called Peninsula.”

The follow-up stars Gang Dong-won, who has featured in local hits such as 1987: When The Day Comes, as Jung-seok, a former soldier who manages to escape from the Korean peninsula – a zombie-infested wasteland turned into a ghetto by other nations trying to stop the spread of the virus.

Sent back with a crew on a mission to retrieve something, he goes in through the port of Incheon to reach Seoul and comes under attack, discovering there are more non-infected survivors left on the peninsula.

Actress Lee Jung-hyun (The Battleship Island) plays one of the survivors, alongside child actress Lee Re – whom Yeon thinks will become “more [popular] than Ma Dong-seok [aka Don Lee] in Train To Busan”.

Other cast include Kwon Hae-hyo, who was a voice actor in Yeon’s award-winning 2013 animation The Fake; Kim Min-jae, who appeared in his 2018 live-action film Psychokinesis; indie filmmaker and actor Koo Kyo-hwan (Maggie); and child actress Lee Ye Won.

Several Train To Busan alumni are working on Yeon’s $16m follow-up (almost twice the budget of the $8.5m original), among them cinematographer Lee Hyung-deok, visual effects supervisor Jung Hwang-su and art director Lee Mok-won.

“The scale of Peninsula can’t compare to Train To Busan, it makes it look like an independent film,” says Yeon. “Train To Busan was a high-concept film shot in narrow spaces whereas Peninsula has a much wider scope of movement.”

With award-winning roots in independent animation on titles like 2012 Cannes Directors’ Fortnight entry The King Of Pigs, Yeon’s initial zombie film concept was for the arthouse animation Seoul Station, which takes place the day before Train To Busan’s story kicks off. Although it was conceived first, Seoul Station was released later and marketed as a prequel to Train To Busan – which Kim Woo-taek, CEO of investor/distributor NEW, convinced Yeon to make as a live-action film.

Train To Busan premiered in the midnight section of the 2016 Cannes Film Festival, going on to clock up more than 11.5 million admissions at home, according to the Korean Film Council (KOFIC), on its way to a $140m worldwide gross, according to NEW and its sales arm Contents Panda.

The film became such a phenomenon that other Korean film sales companies reported a “Train To Busan bump” that year around international interest in Korean cinema.

When it came to following up his global hit, Yeon admits he was initially reluctant. “But the idea of being able to build a post-apocalyptic world – which would be sort of savage but also in a way like ancient times, or like ruined modern times, with rules of its own – was interesting to me.

”There could be many stories that could keep coming out of that world. Destroyed, isolated, extreme, but with hope of escape and humanism, and the way world powers would look at this place. There could be a lot of material with a lot of greater significance.”

Peninsula shot for 62 days over three months starting in late June 2019. Yeon referenced post-apocalyptic films such as George Romero’s Land Of The Dead, The Road, Mad Max 2 and Mad Max: Fury Road, as well as post-apocalyptic manga such as Akira and Dragon Head, “for looks as well as world views”.

But he also found that things he imagined prior to the arrival of Covid-19 were showing up in real international news headlines, much to his surprise in post-production.

“Of course I never dreamt of anything like the new coronavirus,” he says. “But recently I have been learning news about the collective selfishness that you do see facets of in Train To Busan and in Peninsula, that brings about tragedy.”

Working on his third zombie film, the director notes he has yet to answer the question of how the mysterious zombie virus got started.

“I’ve thought about dealing with that question in another film, which probably I won’t direct myself,” he says, chuckling with the awareness that he initially said the same about any follow-up to Train To Busan. “There are a lot of interesting questions you could answer, issue by issue, with other films.”

Recently, Yeon has also noticed the effect of fellow Korean filmmaker Bong Joon Ho’s Parasite success at the Oscars. If Train To Busan’s success had an effect of growing interest for Korean films within that year, Parasite’s made “the atmosphere and the way people ask for things from Korean filmmakers change in the space of a few days,” he reports.

“Before, the way a Korean director would ‘go to the US’ would be to go make an American film with American actors in English. Now, with multiple platforms like Netflix burgeoning and the most recent effect of Parasite, everything has changed.

“I think the role of the films that come next will be very important,” he continues. “Just because Parasite was a success doesn’t mean we need another Parasite. We could see more diversified interest for, say, a Korean-style blockbuster or Korean independent films. It’s just breaking through a wall once that is difficult.”

Backed by NEW, sold by Contents Panda and produced by Redpeter Films, just as Yeon’s Train To Busan and Psychokinesis were, Peninsula is set for a summer release in South Korea.

The film has pre-sold to a slew of territories including North America (Well Go USA), France (ARP SAS), Latin America (BF Distribution), Hong Kong (Edko), Taiwan (Movie Cloud) and the UK (Studiocanal).
https://www.screendaily.com/features...148374.article
Old 04-01-20, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
re: Train to Busan Presents: Peninsula (2020)

Wow, that looks crazy awesome. Now we just need theatres to re-open for people to actually see it.
Old 06-16-20, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Train to Busan Presents: Peninsula (2020)

New trailer

Old 06-16-20, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

That looks insane--I can't wait!
Old 06-16-20, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm in.
Old 06-16-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I didn't know Timur Bekmambetov was directing Korean flicks these days.
Old 06-17-20, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I want this NOW.
Old 08-11-20, 04:42 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Spookyastronauts posted her review. The review starts around 4:30.

Old 08-11-20, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Yeah, watched her review yesterday and I was slightly disappointed. But she's never been a big action movie fan.
Old 08-17-20, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A couple of friends and I braved the cinemas to see Peninsula, so I had some thoughts...

Two-second review: Save your money.

A slightly more detailed review: The pre-titles sequence of Peninsula starts in the same time period as its predecessor with army captain Jung-seok (Gang Don-won) fleeing the country with his sister, her son, and her husband. The four of them make it aboard a ship carrying survivors, but unfortunately for them, they're in a zombie movie, so you can probably guess what happens.

Four years later, Jung-seok and brother-in-law Chul-min (Kim Do-yoon) are leading a pretty miserable existence in Hong Kong where the locals treat them as diseased outcasts. (Side note: Train to Busan apparently did boffo numbers at the Hong Kong box office with reports saying the movie was the all-time top earner amongst Asian releases in that territory. Writer/director Yeon Sang-ho must've seen the B.O. reports and said, 'Hey, Hong Kong, thanks so much for supporting that first movie. Because you guys were so good to me, I'm going to set part of the sequel at your place! Oh, and you don’t mind if all the HK characters are either bigots or criminals, right? Just for good measure, the actors who have the most lines in Cantonese won't be able to speak the dialect properly. You're cool with all this, right? Good.')

So a non-Asian gang boss approaches Jung-seok, Chul-min, and a couple of other ex-pat Koreans to help retrieve something that was left behind. Now what could possibly lure four zombie apocalypse survivors back to their country which is overrun by the undead? How about
Spoiler:
$20 million USD which the boss says he'll split with whomever is able to return alive with the cash? Which means the inciting incident in this movie is a treasure hunt. Oh joy.

The gang takes the team of ex-pats to the Port of Incheon where the MacGuffin was last seen and gives them three days to bring it back to the port. The team manages to find their target within hours, running into zombies that they're able to fight off/outrun. On their way back to the port, they're stopped in a rather abrupt and violent manner by survivors…the heavily armed and highly organized kind.

The paramilitary types make off with one of the team members and the MacGuffin while another person on the team gets rescued by a pair of sisters. The girls demonstrate how they've been able to survive for four years in a zombie-infested city by showing off some driving skills worthy of the latest installment of The Fast and the Furious. As well, one of the siblings has a thing for radio-controlled vehicles, which comes in really handy since she knows how to exploit certain weaknesses that the undead have.

Like Train to Busan, Peninsula attempts to juggle multiple plot threads. Some examine the consequences of hard choices as well as survivor's guilt. Others deal with the breakdown of civilization and a civilian authority (which shockingly is only interested in self preservation) trying to keep under control a confined population and a military branch that could attempt to seize power at any time.

The trouble is that most (if not all) of the characters are two-dimensional. Jung-seok is a man whose military background proved to be rather unhelpful when it really mattered. Chul-min holds in a lot of resentment and anger and is none too happy about how the zombie apocalypse affected him personally. Then you have characters who are supposed to elicit your sympathies so that you root for them while others are human monsters that the movie wants you to hate.

Well, guess what? I didn't care about any of them.

I loved Train to Busan because it balanced drama and horror correctly. It also revolved around ordinary people trying to survive against overwhelming odds and earned every one of its emotional moments.

Peninsula tries to get you to invest in particular characters so that you'll care about their fates, but the problem is that there are too many people to follow this time around. The movie also wants to fit in big set pieces so moments of drama are slotted in occasionally, but they don't get much time to resonate because so much is going on with so many people.

Yeon goes for some big emotional beats late in the film, but they feel incredibly manipulative and over-the-top as you see in slow motion people in peril while children wail inaudibly to the sound of an overbearing score. To paraphrase Roger Ebert, I hated hated hated that part of the film...and have to confess there were loads of other parts I wasn't thrilled with, either.

If you're an action junkie, you might enjoy the set pieces involving vehicles if you're OK with physics not being a thing. The fact that there can be Road Warrior-style chases in this apocalyptic wasteland doesn't make sense—you'll know what I mean if you pay attention to how abandoned vehicles are strewn about the roads.

Also, did South Korea go all electric with their cars? And their batteries are good after sitting idyll for four years? That's some serious marketing for the Korean automobile industry.

A lot of the vehicle action looks undercranked, which in this day and age has to be a creative choice rather than a technological limitation. I found that to be fun for the first couple of seconds but really distracting as the undercranking just kept going.

One last thing: Train to Busan really worked because it had ordinary people in danger, and they were constantly concerned about getting infected. In some of the extended action sequences in Peninsula, the characters not only seem entirely protected from that possibility, but they themselves show no fear, acting cool and bad-ass while they take out zombie hordes.

Filmmaking 101: if your characters aren't afraid of the monsters and proceed to show that the creatures pose no real threat to them, then the audience isn't going to feel fear. The zombies actually look incredibly silly in a number of instances in this movie, so much so that you'll be wondering if those are meant to be sight gags.

The point of the heroes taking down hundreds of the undead is to give audiences an adrenaline rush, and your mileage is going to vary on that count. To me, it was empty spectacle, and I felt as though I were watching someone else play a video game.

Peninsula has a few ideas that may have worked, but the fact is, The Walking Dead already used them and had better execution. This sequel attempts to do the Alien/Aliens transition from horror to action, but all it succeeds in doing is remind you of the movies it's riffing on, like Road Warrior, Aliens, I Am Legend, and some others that I won't name to avoid spoilers. It's entirely possible to take ideas and even whole scenes from other films to produce your own yummy cocktail, but this movie just leaves a seriously nasty taste in your mouth.

The following users liked this post:
Brian T (08-17-20)
Old 08-18-20, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Thanks for the review!

I was contemplating on attending the premiere in Northern California but that particular Drive-In is 70+ minutes away.
Old 08-19-20, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ No worries, asianxcore . I wish I had something better to report, but I just found myself cringing over and over during the movie while feeling annoyed at the parts that weren't making my skin crawl. What I forgot to mention is that I did actually enjoy the pre-title sequence, which was more in line with the first movie. Too bad that lasted less than 10 minutes.

I guess I'm particularly hard on Peninsula because it's from the same creative team that made Train to Busan, which I think most people agree is a pretty awesome film. Having said all this, I'd still watch Peninsula again rather than sit through Seoul Station a second time, which means that the new movie *isn't* the worst zombie flick that Yeon Sang-ho has directed...at least not IMHO.

I've read positive comments from others who've seen Peninsula, so it's very much a case of YMMV. Still, I'd have to be a lot more enthusiastic about a movie to even consider suggesting that you make a 70+ minute trip to see it.

Last edited by L Everett Scott; 08-19-20 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
I've read positive comments from others who've seen Peninsula, so it's very much a case of YMMV. Still, I'd have to be a lot more enthusiastic about a movie to even consider suggesting that you make a 70+ minute trip to see it.
I might be in Sacramento tomorrow, so if that happens, I might check out the film just because I'm in the area at the Drive-In Theater.
Old 08-29-20, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Seeing this tomorrow or Sunday.
Old 09-10-20, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got back from seeing it at a local theatre. Theatres opened up in my area this week.

Not going to write a long analysis of it. All I will say is that I thought it was "Good" and for the most part pretty entertaining. I'd give it a B. There was some fun and entertaining sequences and a few sequences and characters who I thought were pretty dumb.

The sequence that I thought was kind of dumb was:

Spoiler:

The zombie fight club sequence with the prisoners, who included the main hero's captured brother in law. The characters including the Sargent were all very cartoonish and over the top.

and I'm assuming that this takes place in the same universe as the 1st movie. Just from a different perspective. Then it goes off on it's own with the 4 year time jump.

If this is playing near you and you like the Zombie genre and were a fan of the 1st movie, then sure I'd give it a go.

I do agree with L Everett's assessment that the 1st movie felt more grounded because it was real people in present day Seoul who had no idea what the fuck was going and were put into peril. This was a little more over the top.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-10-20 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

I thought the opening sequence was very reminiscent from where we left off in the first film (in terms of the world that was established). Then the damn thing turns into Tokyo Drift + Fury Road + Extraction and completely went overboard.
Old 09-14-20, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
the damn thing turns into Tokyo Drift + Fury Road + Extraction and completely went overboard.
Don't forget Home Alone. I'm sure there's a decent short film to be made about little kids fighting zombies, but I just didn't need to see that sort of thing in this movie.
candyrocket786 (09-14-20)
Old 10-13-20, 04:40 PM

We already knew that Sang-ho Yeon‘s Train to Busan follow-up Peninsula is headed to 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on November 24, but it’s actually coming home even sooner…

Peninsula will first be available on Digital in the United States on October 27th. Yup, that means you’ll be able to experience all the zombie action during the week of Halloween!

For home streaming, Shudder has acquired the film and will debut it in 2021.
Old 11-25-20, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk God

This is free to watch on Hoopla for those who may be interested and have access to it.
TomOpus (11-25-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.