Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Evil Dead Rise (2023, D: Cronin, P: Raimi, Campbell)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Evil Dead Rise (2023, D: Cronin, P: Raimi, Campbell)

Old 01-04-23, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
Re: Evil Dead Rise (2023, D: Cronin, P: Raimi, Campbell)

Hmmm.. not really sure how I feel about that. It doesn’t fit in the tone of the original three films. I haven’t seen the 2013 film for a while but it seems more in line with that from what I remember. I’ll give it a chance but not super excited.
Old 01-04-23, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, not sure what to do with this. If this didn't have Evil Dead written across the screen, I would watch this trailer and dismiss it as another boring, run-of-the-mill, cliched horror film I would probably never watch. I hope there's something in there that gives it a distinct ED tone, because the trailer sure didn't highlight it.
The following users liked this post:
story (01-05-23)
Old 01-04-23, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by freshticles
Yeah, not sure what to do with this. If this didn't have Evil Dead written across the screen, I would watch this trailer and dismiss it as another boring, run-of-the-mill, cliched horror film I would probably never watch.
I felt the same way. Take away any reference to Evil Dead and don't show the Book of the Dead - then the trailer would look like many other horror films.
story (01-05-23)
Old 01-05-23, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Would also have to take away the humor and those Sam Raimi shots.
story (01-05-23)
Old 01-05-23, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Hmmm.. not really sure how I feel about that. It doesn’t fit in the tone of the original three films. I haven’t seen the 2013 film for a while but it seems more in line with that from what I remember. I’ll give it a chance but not super excited.
That’s my take as well. I guess I haven’t been paying close enough attention to this thread but I was assuming it would be more in line with the original trilogy and TV series. That trailer looks like it’s more of the same from the remake.

The trailer looks good but so did the trailer for the 2013 remake and that was mostly forgettable.
Old 01-05-23, 08:41 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Reposting from a few years ago.
Originally Posted by dex14
To briefly recap, the next movie in the Evil Dead franchise is currently titled Evil Dead Rise, it’s being directed by Lee Cronin (The Hole in the Ground), it won’t feature Bruce Campbell as Ash Williams, and it’s not going to be set at a cabin in the woods. Rumored but unconfirmed at this time is that the movie will be set in some kind of high-rise/skyscraper.

Cronin, who just directed the now-streaming “50 States of Fright” episode 13 Steps to Hell for Quibi, sat down for a chat with Bloody Disgusting’s The Boo Crew Podcast this week, and while he’s not allowed to say too much about Evil Dead Rise at this time, hosts Lauren & Trevor Shand and Leone D’Antonio did manage to get some interesting insights into the project.For starters, how did Lee Cronin get the keys to the Evil Dead castle?

I’m a fan and a filmmaker, so I have two jobs to do, really, with making the film. The journey kinda started post-Sundace, early 2019,” Cronin explained to The Boo Crew. “A really important member of Sam’s creative team had seen The Hole in the Ground and said ‘Sam, you’ve gotta watch this.’ So, I had flown into the US for three weeks. My last meeting leaving town was with Sam. And a couple of his development people. He’s exactly how you want him to be as a person; he’s fun and he’s engaging. I remember sitting there and I hadn’t dared raise really much about Evil Dead at all, and then I did towards the end of it. I said, ‘Do you want to do anything else with Evil Dead?’ And he said ‘Absolutely.’ He goes, ‘Do you know any young, eager filmmakers that would be interested?’ And I said ‘Well, I’m flattered that you’re calling me young, Sam.’ And then it just became this very organic process.”

Cronin continued, “I can’t say too much about it, but what I couldn’t do was just go back and try and emulate what’s been done before. I needed to find my own way into the story, which took a little bit of time. And to choose a course and a direction that would deliver absolutely for the fans. In spades. Ya know, what people would want from an Evil Dead movie. But that also has my identity, and offers something of an expansion to the world that we’re used to and hopefully draws in a new audience. So that process of finding what that could be took a number of months.

“I really hope I don’t mess it up. But I’m confident I’m going to do something that’s both familiar and refreshing. I’m gonna deliver a rollercoaster of horror. That’s what the goal is here. Relentless. Not stopping to explain too much. It needs to be extremely visceral, highly entertaining, properly scary. To push boundaries, that’s important as well.”

While Cronin wouldn’t confirm or deny the city/skyscraper setting that has been rumored, he did tease that Evil Dead Rise will most definitely be taking us beyond the iconic cabin.

It takes us to backdrops we haven’t necessarily experienced the Deadites in before, certainly in the film universe,” Cronin promised. “And it’s also brings a set of characters you don’t expect to see interacting with the Deadites. Which I think is gonna put people on edge quite quickly in the story.”
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...ood-franchise/
Old 01-05-23, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I felt the same way. Take away any reference to Evil Dead and don't show the Book of the Dead - then the trailer would look like many other horror films.
Really guys?? How many horror films have looked that nasty in recent memory?

The 2013 remake, which I'm not the biggest fan of still pleased the gore hound in me like most films before it (and after) didn't.
Old 01-05-23, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Really guys?? How many horror films have looked that nasty in recent memory?

The 2013 remake, which I'm not the biggest fan of still pleased the gore hound in me like most films before it (and after) didn't.
Gore isn't enough to make movie good. If that's all I need, I'd just watch real life trauma surgery videos.
Old 01-05-23, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Gore isn't enough to make movie good. If that's all I need, I'd just watch real life trauma surgery videos. 
That's not what I'm saying - most horror movies released don't look anywhere near this creepy.
Old 01-05-23, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I got a Rated R Exorcism of Emily Rose vibe, especially with the closing shot of the red band trailer.
Old 01-05-23, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's not what I'm saying - most horror movies released don't look anywhere near this creepy.
You went on about the film looking nasty and how you're a gore hound. Nothing about it looking creepy. That being said, there are some nice bits in this trailer, like when the little girl and the mom talk through peep hole, the Raimi shots, and the bits of humor. Unfortunately, the trailer of the remake also looked really good while the actual film was only just okay.
Old 01-06-23, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

You went on about the film looking nasty and how you're a gore hound. Nothing about it looking creepy. That being said, there are some nice bits in this trailer, like when the little girl and the mom talk through peep hole, the Raimi shots, and the bits of humor. Unfortunately, the trailer of the remake also looked really good while the actual film was only just okay.
Hard disagree. It absolutely rocks! Top 3 horror movie of that decade.
Jason Bovberg (01-06-23)
Old 01-06-23, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gunde
Hard disagree. It absolutely rocks! Top 3 horror movie of that decade.
I won't deny it had its moments and that Jane Levy was great in it, but the overall picture did not wow me.
What the heck else even came out at that time, for that matter?

EDIT: Not much I cared for that year. Although there's one or two I did enjoy.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-06-23 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-07-23, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, then tell me how many recent horror movies have looked this nasty and gory then.
Old 01-07-23, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

People would probably go nuts if Ash or the girl from the remake shows up. Or have the Ash VS Evil Dead climactic events intertwined.

I don’t quite understand why films with fandom don’t take leaps like that. The MCU holds back with the shows too. The Exorcist tv show did it successfully.
Old 01-07-23, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, then tell me how many recent horror movies have looked this nasty and gory then.
Couldn't tell you because buckets of gore don't necessarily make for an effective horror film. So it's not something I actively search for. The original Halloween is mostly bloodless, whereas the original Hellraiser is bloody. Both are great horror films. Why? Because they are both creepy and disturbing.

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
People would probably go nuts if Ash or the girl from the remake shows up. Or have the Ash VS Evil Dead climactic events intertwined.

I don’t quite understand why films with fandom don’t take leaps like that. The MCU holds back with the shows too. The Exorcist tv show did it successfully.
At one point the 2013 remake was going to be followed up with a sequel that revealed the remake was not a remake but in fact an ED4 movie, with Campbell and Levy teaming up in ED5. But then AvED happened instead and Bruce Campbell retired all live action appearances of Ash.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-07-23 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-07-23, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I thought this was supposed to take place in a high rise. Did I miss that in the trailer?
Old 01-11-23, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I noticed the same thing. And I think it was originally a high rise, per an old interview.

Looks like it's actually taking place in a 8 floor apartment building.

And now the "rise" probably refers to the deadites rising.
Old 03-19-23, 07:45 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Reviews from SXSW: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/evil_dead_rise
Old 03-20-23, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Positive IGN review:

Old 03-20-23, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This has potential to actually scare me.
Old 03-22-23, 02:04 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

The “Evil Dead” moniker is meaningless, worthless if Bruce Campbell is in no way involved. Not sure why this is so hard for people to want to acknowledge and accept and admit 30+ years on.

No Ash = No Evil Dead.

It really is that simple.

bchbdaddy (03-22-23)
Old 03-22-23, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by CristonCole
The “Evil Dead” moniker is meaningless, worthless if Bruce Campbell is in no way involved. Not sure why this is so hard for people to want to acknowledge and accept and admit 30+ years on.

No Ash = No Evil Dead.

Sorry, dude, but that's not up to you.
If Raimi and Campbell says there's Evil Dead without Ash, then so it is.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gunde:
Bob_Bobbson (04-23-23), Brian T (03-22-23), gerrythedon (03-22-23)
Old 03-22-23, 05:12 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

I'm seriously OK with the evolution of the Evil Dead without Ash. I really liked the 2013 remake, it was like the Evil Dead on steroids. This new one just looks absolutely batshit fucking crazy and I'll have it in my collection without hesitation.
The following 3 users liked this post by kd5:
Brian T (03-22-23), Kurt D (03-22-23), miller_time22 (03-23-23)
Old 03-22-23, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by CristonCole

No Ash = No Evil Dead.

Campbell is an executive producer, so you can safely consider this an Evil Dead movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.