DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Borderlands (2024, D: Roth) S: Blanchett, Hart, Black, Greenblatt, Munteanu, Curtis (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/649884-borderlands-2024-d-roth-s-blanchett-hart-black-greenblatt-munteanu-curtis.html)

Deftones 08-28-15 05:37 PM

Borderlands (2024, D: Roth) S: Blanchett, Hart, Black, Greenblatt, Munteanu, Curtis

Lionsgate has begun development of a tentpole movie based on the "Borderlands" role-playing shooter video game series.

"Spider-Man" producers Avi and Ari Arad are behind this film adaptation of the games which are set on Pandora, a dusty planet abandoned by a mega-corporation prior to the game events. There are also reports of an ancient vault full of advanced alien weapons technology being hidden somewhere on the planet.

Launched in 2009, more than 26 million copies of the game have shipped worldwide. Lionsgate Motion Picture Group Co-Chairs Rob Friedman and Patrick Wachsberger say in a statement: "The 'Borderlands' games don't pull any punches, and we'll make the movie with the same in-your-face attitude that has made the series a blockbuster mega-franchise.”
As a fan of the video game, I'm down for this, as long as they keep the same tone/humor of the games. :up:

Solid Snake 08-28-15 06:20 PM

Re: Borderlands: The Movie (201?) (Lionsgate)

One day we'll get the best video game adaptation to top Mortal Kombat.

Drexl 08-28-15 06:21 PM

It would be cool if it were animated, but I know there's no chance of that.

Hopefully Claptrap will be a real robot, not CG.

Solid Snake 08-28-15 07:58 PM

I'd hope he'd be a mix cuz I dunno if a practical robot could do all that shit... but... they can get a Claptrap to roll for reals? Shiiiiite.

MoviePage 08-28-15 09:27 PM

I hope they keep the ending from the first game. I want to see the reactions. :lol:

Decker 08-28-15 11:02 PM

I vote for RDJ as Handsome Jack.

http://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/phot...48._SX540_.jpg http://www.buzzfocus.com/wp-content/...dsome-jack.jpg

OldBoy 08-29-15 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12573641)

oooh, that would be interesting...

mndtrp 08-30-15 11:41 AM

The story for the first game was pretty weak. Especially the ending, like MoviePage said. Borderlands is one of my favorite game series, so I'm down for something set in that world, even if it isn't a retelling of the main plot.

Solid Snake 08-30-15 11:47 AM

There's a thread of a story for BL1. It would be interesting to see an adaptation of it but... I'd rather see something new set in that world more.

Claptrap though... I think they need to keep the same guy's voice that does it.

Osiris3657 08-31-15 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12573517)
One day we'll get the best video game adaptation to top Mortal Kombat.

No, that would be Resident Evil 1 or Silent Hill. And I bet the Fassbender Assassin's Creed movie will top them all.

Deftones 02-20-20 01:17 PM

Borderlands (202?) D: Roth

https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/1230567293324795904

@DuvalMagic: I’m very excited to welcome Eli Roth as Director of the Borderlands movie in development with Lionsgate and Arad Productions. Please welcome @EliRoth to the team and be sure to catch the @GearboxOfficial Main Theater Show at #PAXEast on 2/27 to learn more. #borderlandsmovie https://t.co/Uaxs7jm10i

Deftones 02-20-20 02:05 PM

re: Borderlands (2024, D: Roth) S: Blanchett, Hart, Black, Greenblatt, Munteanu, Curtis

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...nsgate-1280134

Avi Arad, Ari Arad and Erik Feig will produce the latest big screen re-imagining from the gaming world.

Cabin Fever and Hostel director Eli Roth is set to direct the movie adaptation of Borderlands, the action video game franchise, for Lionsgate.

Emmy-winning screenwriter Craig Mazin penned the script for the project, to be produced by producers Avi Arad and Ari Arad through their Arad Productions banner, and Erik Feig, who oversaw development, through Picturestart. The action RPG shooter franchise from developer Gearbox Software and publisher 2K most recently unveiled the Borderlands 3 version in September 2019.

“I’m so excited to dive into the world of Borderlands, and I could not be doing it with a better script, producing team and studio. I have a long, successful history with Lionsgate — I feel like we have grown up together and that everything in my directing career has led to a project of this scale and ambition," Roth said in a statement.

The Borderlands movie is the latest video game adaptation after Mortal Kombat, The Angry Birds Movie, Pokemon: Detective Pikachu and Sonic the Hedgehog made it to the big screen and streaming services from the gaming world. Lionsgate's Borderlands re-imagining will be executive produced by Randy Pitchford and Strauss Zelnick.

"With Eli's vision and Craig's screenplay, we believe we have cracked the code on bringing the anarchic world of Borderlands to the big screen in a big way that will be a fresh, compelling and cinematic event for moviegoers and fans of the game," said Nathan Kahane, president of the Lionsgate Motion Picture Group, in his own statement.

Roth's recent movie credits include The House with a Clock in Its Walls, starring Cate Blanchett and Jack Black for Amblin, and Death Wish, starring Bruce Willis for MGM and Annapurna Pictures. He earlier directed Cabin Fever and Knock Knock for Lionsgate.

Roth is repped by WME

L Everett Scott 02-20-20 02:18 PM

re: Borderlands (2024, D: Roth) S: Blanchett, Hart, Black, Greenblatt, Munteanu, Curtis

I am so not a gamer anymore. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought we were in for a remake of a British horror film that I rather enjoyed.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...23517e340e.jpg

Toddarino 02-20-20 03:00 PM

You’re probably better off. Roth pretty much sucks. He’d just ruin it.

OldBoy 02-20-20 05:49 PM

i don't even know what this could be about. what 4 people with special skills and many guns search for a vault with more guns and stuff? yipfuckingee...

Why So Blu? 02-20-20 07:14 PM

He keeps lining up these "big budget" films but never ends up directing them.

OldBoy 02-20-20 07:26 PM

Good. As a director he’s fucking terrible. He sucks the life out of everything. Only thing I liked was Cabin Fever and that was what, almost 20 years ago. He’s done in my book.

Toddarino 02-20-20 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13690908)
Good. As a director he’s fucking terrible. He sucks the life out of everything. Only thing I liked was Cabin Fever and that was what, almost 20 years ago. His DC movies blow. The only ones that have critically succeeded are the ones not directed by him. He’s done in my book.

DC movies?

The only thing I enjoyed that he did was the fake Thanksgiving trailer. I’ll always wish it was either Madsen or Sandler that would have played his role in Inglourious Basterds. I love that fucking movie, but man is he terrible.

OldBoy 02-21-20 10:01 AM

i was thinking Snyder.

d2cheer 02-21-20 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott (Post 13690729)
I am so not a gamer anymore. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought we were in for a remake of a British horror film that I rather enjoyed.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...23517e340e.jpg

Looks like it can be rented under Final Prayer. Probably check it out this weekend.

mndtrp 02-23-20 11:18 AM

Love the games, have no desire to see a movie based on them. An Animatrix type of thing with small shorts based on the characters or locations could be cool.

dhmac 02-23-20 01:25 PM

I haven't played the main Borderlands line of games, but I did played the Telltale Games (RIP) interactive adventure game "Tales from the Borderlands" which has a good story and good characters and almost seemed like a movie as-is. So if handled right, a "Borderlands" movie could have a nice "Firefly" / "Mandalorian" Western-in-Space vibe to it and be really good.

But, yeah, the main drawback is the name Eli Roth being attached to it - if he ends up making it, the odds are not in its favor of being remotely good.

Deftones 05-05-20 03:37 PM

@GearboxOfficial: We are incredibly excited about this news! Borderlands is shaping up to be an amazing movie!
https://t.co/42VT8YUQkc https://t.co/zJY7M7B5to

It’s game on for Cate Blanchett. Sources tell Variety the Oscar-winning actress is in talks to star as Lilith in Lionsgate’s “Borderlands,” an adaptation of the popular video game. Lionsgate had no comment.

Eli Roth is directing with Avi and Ari Arad producing through Arad Prods along with Erik Feig, who is also producing via his Picturestart banner. Craig Mazin, who won an Emmy for writing “Chernobyl,” has written the latest screenplay draft.

If a deal is completed, it’s another major win for the studio in recent weeks following the news they would team with Francis Lawrence on a prequel in the “Hunger Games” franchise as well as bringing on Eric Warren Singer to pen the next installment in the “Now You See Me” series.

“Borderlands,” launched in 2009, is a role-playing first-person shooter game created and developed by Gearbox Software and published by Take-Two Interactive Software’s 2K label. The game is set on the frontier of a sci-fi universe — the planet of Pandora — which has been abandoned by a mega-corporation prior to the game events. The series has sold more than 57 million units worldwide. The most recent installment, “Borderlands 3,” was released last September.

Lilith is one of the main protagonists in the franchise, and one of the playable characters in the first “Borderlands” game. She is one of only six women in the galaxy that belong to the powerful “siren” class, wielding incredible, superhuman powers.

The film’s executive producers are Randy Pitchford, executive producer of the “Borderlands” video game franchise and founder of Gearbox Software, and Strauss Zelnick, chairman and CEO of Take-Two Interactive.

James Myers and Aaron Edmonds are overseeing the project on behalf of Lionsgate. Emmy Yu is overseeing the film for Arad Productions. Lucy Kitada will oversee the project for Picturestart.

Blanchett can currently be seen in the acclaimed FX miniseries “Mrs. America,” which marks her first cable TV gig. She was also seen in “Where’d You Go Bernadette?,” which earned her a Golden Globe nomination. Most recently, Blanchett was filming the Guillermo del Toro thriller “Nightmare Alley” with Bradley Cooper until production was stalled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

She is repped by CAA and RGM Artists.

Deftones 01-26-21 12:23 PM

E Unit 01-26-21 04:34 PM

Saddest update ever.