Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Sony Spider-Man spinoff (2021)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-11-20, 11:03 AM

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Sony has scheduled an untitled Spider-Man spinoff movie for a Fall 2021 release date. After trying and failing to launch its own Marvel cinematic universe with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in 2014, Sony signed a deal with Marvel Studios to share the rights to the web-slinger. It's been pretty much all good news for the former ever since then, between Tom Holland's Peter Parker becoming a fan-favorite MCU character and the, respective, commercial and critical success of Venom and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

The studio is currently in the process of rapidly building on that foundation, with multiple Spider-Man spinoffs and sequels in some stage of development. First, Sony will release its Jared Leto-led Morbius spinoff - which is now confirmed to be part of the MCU - followed by Venom 2, which is believed to be targeting the October 2020 date the studio's claimed for an untitled Sony-Marvel film. After that comes Spider-Man: Homecoming 3 in July 2021, then Into the Spider-Verse 2 the following spring. Now, it appears Sony is planning to release yet another Marvel movie in-between the latter two.

ERC is reporting the studio has only just scheduled an untitled Sony/Marvel film for an October 8, 2021 release date. For the time being, Sony has yet to reveal any additional details about the project.
https://screenrant.com/spider-man-mo...-release-date/

If this ends up being a movie we already have a thread for I'll merge.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Untitled Sony Spider-Man spinoff (2021)

Theories? Current theories are Black Cat/Sable movie, Kraven the hunter or Nightwatch. Whatever it is, it will probably have to start filming within the next 6 months or so.

Random guess by me: they introduce Spider-Gwen in the next Spider-Man movie in the summer, and she gets her own movie in October.
Old 02-11-20, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Theories? Current theories are Black Cat/Sable movie, Kraven the hunter or Nightwatch. Whatever it is, it will probably have to start filming within the next 6 months or so.

Random guess by me: they introduce Spider-Gwen in the next Spider-Man movie in the summer, and she gets her own movie in October.
Black and Silver is dead I believe. I think they were going to split them up. Kraven was put in development in 2018, that is likely.
Old 02-11-20, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If I hear anything...
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20, 12:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I want a Black Cat movie, but I don't want it sans Peter Parker.
Old 02-11-20, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Something like Spider-Gwen would be cool, although if it was that I would think they’d just announce it up front instead of keeping it a mystery. Probably another unnecessary solo villain film.
Old 02-12-20, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ditto, the lack of announcement now means the character has little draw. So better wait till there is actual footage. Just like they did with Morbius
Old 02-13-20, 02:44 PM

There's some rumors that it will be a Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman film. Michelle McClaren to direct with Alicia Vikander wanted for the role.
https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/...-mcu-director/

This site seems fairly new to the "exclusive" reporting game... but they were right on the news that broke today about Estevez and The Mighty Ducks show,
Old 02-13-20, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
There's some rumors that it will be a Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman film. Michelle McClaren to direct with Alicia Vikander wanted for the role.
https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/...-mcu-director/

This site seems fairly new to the "exclusive" reporting game... but they were right on the news that broke today about Estevez and The Mighty Ducks show,
I thought it was going to be meant for Silk, but...
Old 02-13-20, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't believe we're getting spin-offs for Spider-man. I guess if it's good it's good but I just never thought the public would be interested in Morbius or a Silver Sable movie. Morbius is fine in Spider-man's story. Basically a chance to have Spider-man fighting a vampire. But in a solo movie? Why not just make a regular modern vampire movie? Silver Sable? I'm a big Spider-man fan and I still don't know what her back story is. Maybe we'll get a Paladin movie in the works too?

I wish Sony would just give free reign to Marvel for Homecoming Spider-man, and too profit from that Marvel/Disney licensing, do a Spider-man 2099 film series.
You got teenager Peter Parker in one film franchise, adult Miguel O'Hara in another.