Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 92nd Academy Awards --> 2020 Oscar Awards Show Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: How did you like the show overall?
0%
31.58%
26.32%
26.32%
5.26%
0%
What are you high?
10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

The 92nd Academy Awards --> 2020 Oscar Awards Show Discussion

Old 02-13-20, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
Re: The 92nd Academy Awards --> 2020 Oscar Awards Show Discussion

Award shows in general are a thing of the past. With social media, fans can stay up to date with their favorite actors/actresses every day. These used to be a time where the general public could see the stars out of character. That's no longer an event for most people.
Old 02-13-20, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Odd question. Do the ratings of the Academy Awards even matter?

I mean, is it in danger of cancellation or anything?
Ad money from the ratings is still important. The people who work behind the scenes still need to get paid and it also affects the money they put into the overall production.
Old 02-13-20, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

There was a time when the top box office movies were also the Best Picture winners, but with the rise of the "summer blockbuster" those two paths have diverged sharply. We'll never see an Academy Awards broadcast with top ratings again, not if they cut the political speeches, cut the speeches period, bring top comedic talent as hosts, cut out the musical performances, whatever. Not until either the Academy dumbs down or the public smartens up.
All the more reason to try something drastic. Because what they are currently doing is obviously not working.

What if they revealed all of the nominees right before the winners were announced? That would get rid of all the ridiculous campaigning.
Old 02-13-20, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
All the more reason to try something drastic. Because what they are currently doing is obviously not working.

What if they revealed all of the nominees right before the winners were announced? That would get rid of all the ridiculous campaigning.
What's not working? They gave out the awards on Sunday night. Parasite cleaned up.

See, you're missing the basic point I'm making: WHY do they have to boost the ratings? What happens if they don't? OK, ad revenue goes down a little. I mean, worst case scenario ABC pulls the plug, at which point about a half-dozen networks and cable channels would be pounding on the door of the Academy for the chance to air the show.
Old 02-13-20, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

What's not working? They gave out the awards on Sunday night. Parasite cleaned up.

See, you're missing the basic point I'm making: WHY do they have to boost the ratings? What happens if they don't? OK, ad revenue goes down a little. I mean, worst case scenario ABC pulls the plug, at which point about a half-dozen networks and cable channels would be pounding on the door of the Academy for the chance to air the show.
Because the ceremony is a national punching bag? And as the ratings drop year after year, it gets harder to defend it? If I were working on the show (and I produce a live hour and a half tv show every weekday) I would be trying to fix that perception. I'd be asking myself "what would make this show more interesting to watch? How could we keep viewers engaged? What lessons can we learn from the year before to make a better show next time?"

I wouldn't be saying "everything is fine we'll do it the same next year".
Old 02-13-20, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

^ Almost every year, last years was up over 2018 by about 12%.
Old 02-13-20, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It’s not a lifetime contract.
For 46 years it seems like a lifetime to me since it has never aired outside of ABC in my lifetime.
Old 02-13-20, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Too bad ABC has a lifetime contract with the Academy and they won't alter the show.
Originally Posted by dex14
It’s not a lifetime contract.
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
For 46 years it seems like a lifetime to me since it has never aired outside of ABC in my lifetime.
Current ABC contract goes through 2028.
Old 02-16-20, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Is the 1998 Oscars still the highest rated Oscars show when Titanic cleaned up?

Maybe the 2004 show is up there too with LOTR Return of the King winning that year.

That might be the best case of a popular movie like Titanic getting nominated and stacking up wins at the Oscars.
Old 02-16-20, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Yep.

Historically, the telecast's viewership is higher when box-office hits are favored to win the Best Picture award. More than 57.25 million viewers tuned to the telecast for the 70th Academy Awards in 1998, the year of Titanic, which generated a box office haul during its initial 1997–98 run of US$600.8 million in the US, a box office record that would remain unsurpassed for years.[79] The 76th Academy Awards ceremony, in which The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (pre-telecast box office earnings of US$368 million) received 11 Awards including Best Picture, drew 43.56 million viewers.[80] The most watched ceremony based on Nielsen ratings to date, however, was the 42nd Academy Awards (Best Picture Midnight Cowboy) which drew a 43.4% household rating on April 7, 1970.[81]

By contrast, ceremonies honoring films that have not performed well at the box office tend to show weaker ratings, despite how much critically acclaimed those films have been. The 78th Academy Awards which awarded low-budget independent film Crash (with a pre-Oscar gross of US$53.4 million) generated an audience of 38.64 million with a household rating of 22.91%.[82] In 2008, the 80th Academy Awards telecast was watched by 31.76 million viewers on average with an 18.66% household rating, the lowest-rated and least-watched ceremony at the time, in spite of celebrating 80 years of the Academy Awards.[83] The Best Picture winner of that particular ceremony was another independent film (No Country for Old Men).
That needs to be updated as the ratings have sunk lower, especially this year and in 2018.
Old 02-16-20, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Everyone knows the Oscars aren’t going to pull in super bowl type numbers. As long as it beats what’s regularly scheduled, I say leave it alone. As soon as it gets lower ratings a than your average episode of America’s Funniest Home Videos with host Alfonso Roberto, then worry.
Old 02-16-20, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Since the film industry is so balkanized between arthouse and blockbuster, should the Academy consider splitting its awards into genres, like Best Drama, Best Comedy or Musical, and Best Adventure Movie (which would cover most blockbuster movies)? Add two more "best picture" categories, if not actor/actress categories as well. (Which would probably mean it runs until three in the morning.)
Old 02-17-20, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Since the film industry is so balkanized between arthouse and blockbuster, should the Academy consider splitting its awards into genres, like Best Drama, Best Comedy or Musical, and Best Adventure Movie (which would cover most blockbuster movies)? Add two more "best picture" categories, if not actor/actress categories as well. (Which would probably mean it runs until three in the morning.)
I agree but the new category should be "Best film likely to draw the largest ratings"
Old 02-17-20, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Weren't they going to add a "best popular film" or something a couple of years ago and people lost their mind?

Unless the academy starts nominating stuff like Endgame, this year was probably the best it's going to get. Joker was a huge hit and OUATIH, Ford v Ferrari and 1917 were some of the biggest non franchise movies of the year. Marriage story and the Irishman were also probably far more widely seen than your typical best picture nom.
Old 04-30-20, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Yes. But only a small portion of the voting body are involved in sound. The largest voting body of the Academy are actors.

Not saying the most deserving movies don’t win, but rather that one Oscar for both would be fine, they are both part of the same process, like there are many parts of special effects but only one Oscar. Would speed up the awards and I’d rather see some new awards like Stunt Coordinator and for Best First Feature instead.
They listened!

At the request of the Sound Branch itself, the current Sound Mixing and Sound Editing categories are being combined into one, thus reducing the number of Oscar categories to 23. I am told this consolidation was made by the Sound Branch members themselves and is not the result of any perceived attempt by the Academy at large to help reduce the running time of the Oscar broadcast. The past few years have produced the same winner for both categories, and that started discussions on perhaps just combining them — though the 2019 winners did split, with Ford v Ferrari taking Sound Editing and 1917 winning for Sound Mixing.
Old 04-30-20, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm a bit of a movie nerd and I STILL don't know the big difference between sound editing and sound mixing. Yeah, I get that one is the collection of the sounds used in a movie and the other is the actual placing of those sounds in the movie...but come on, it's a distinction that the Academy didn't need (even though different people may be doing the work).
Old 04-30-20, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

I feel like it is a big difference, comparable to having two categories for Best Cinematography and Best Editing. One is for the creation of the shots, and the other is for assembling those shots into a movie.
The following users liked this post:
Mabuse (05-01-20)
Old 04-30-20, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I feel like it is a big difference, comparable to having two categories for Best Cinematography and Best Editing. One is for the creation of the shots, and the other is for assembling those shots into a movie.
How is that different to what happens with special visual effects?

And even if you can recognize the difference in the two fields, walk me through why Ford v Ferrari was better in one aspect while 1917 was better in the other.
Old 05-01-20, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

I don't understand your first question, what did happen with special visual effects?

I didn't see Ford v Ferrari so I can't compare the two movies, but it seems clear to me the members of the sound branch of the academy could be impressed with the sound recording and sound creation of Movie A, yet still find the overall sound mixing of Movie B better.
Old 05-01-20, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I don't understand your first question, what did happen with special visual effects?
I just meant that one group of people design and create special visual effects, and other group inserts those effects into the movie seamlessly. And there is only one Oscar that they share. And everyone is fine with that.
Old 05-02-20, 12:38 PM

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Room for stunts, then?