Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hamilton (2021) -- live production with the original Broadway cast

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-03-20, 12:43 PM

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Movie theaters aren’t throwing away their shot to have “Hamilton” on the big screen. Disney is bringing a film of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical sensation with the original Broadway cast to cinemas in North America on Oct. 15, 2021.

The movie version isn’t an adaptation in the vein of Miranda’s upcoming “In the Heights,” but rather a “live capture” of a stage performance. It was shot at the Richard Rogers theater in Manhattan before founding members began to depart the production.

“Lin-Manuel Miranda created an unforgettable theater experience and a true cultural phenomenon, and it was for good reason that ‘Hamilton’ was hailed as an astonishing work of art,” Disney CEO and chairman Robert Iger said in a statement. “All who saw it with the original cast will never forget that singular experience. And we’re thrilled to have the opportunity to share this same Broadway experience with millions of people around the world.”

“Hamilton” debuted on Broadway in 2015 and won numerous accolades, including 11 Tonys and the Pulitzer Prize for drama. The original Broadway cast includes Miranda as Alexander Hamilton, Daveed Diggs as Marquis de Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson, Leslie Odom Jr. as Aaron Burr, Christopher Jackson as George Washington, Jonathan Groff as King George, Renee Elise Goldsberry as Angelica Schuyler, and Phillipa Soo as Eliza Hamilton.

“I fell in love with musical storytelling growing up with the legendary Howard Ashman-Alan Menken Disney collaborations — ‘The Little Mermaid,’ ‘Beauty and The Beast,’ ‘Aladdin,'” Miranda said. “I’m so proud of what Tommy Kail has been able to capture in this filmed version of ‘Hamilton’ — a live theatrical experience that feels just as immediate in your local movie theater. We’re excited to partner with Disney to bring the original Broadway company of ‘Hamilton’ to the largest audience possible.”

Kail added, “We are thrilled for fans of the show, and new audiences across the world, to experience what it was like on stage — and in the audience — when we shot this at the Richard Rodgers Theatre on Broadway in June of 2016. We wanted to give everyone the same seat, which is what this film can provide,” said Thomas Kail.

Miranda teased the project to Variety last week at Sundance Film Festival, saying “Hamilton” would hopefully get the big-screen treatment “sooner rather than later.”

“What I’m most excited about [is] you all have that friend that is like, ‘I saw it with the original cast.’ We’re stealing that brag from everyone because you’re all going to see it with the original cast,” Miranda said. “We’re just trying to find the right time to do it.”
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/h...a-2-1203490645

The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (02-04-20)
Old 02-03-20, 12:53 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Hamilton (2021) -- live production with the original Broadway cast

It was shot at the Richard Rogers theater in Manhattan before founding members began to depart the production.
Sounds like it's the video that was leaked a couple years back.
Old 02-03-20, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I remember watching a cam recording from the audience, but I've never seen a professional multicam recording leak. I've read about this for a couple years, I think they filmed it the final week of the original cast doing the show with no audience. I can't wait for it, the show is amazing (in case you haven't heard).
Old 02-03-20, 01:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm positive I saw a good amount of pro footage awhile back. If you look up Hamilton GIFs on Google, most of those are sourced from the pro video.

I'm looking forward to it, though! I saw the show in Chicago (first public performance in 2016!), and while that cast was excellent, having a legit copy with the original Broadway cast will be nice to have. I just hope they were forward-thinking enough to film it in 4K.
Old 02-03-20, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I’m always glad to see stage casts preserved on film. My first thought was it was going to be Disney+, but I guess there’s plenty of money to be made in theaters and then still throw on D+ if they think it’s appropriate content. I doubt it’d be rated more severely than an MCU movie.
Old 02-03-20, 01:55 PM

Disney paid $75mil to acquire. They aren’t just dropping it on Disney+.

I think there is a huge market for people who want to see the original cast, but didn’t. Or, never saw the show at all.
Old 02-03-20, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

There is no full leak of the professionally shot version (there are about two bootlegs from audience members), but there are snippets of the professional version, combined on YouTube (from publicly released clips), which total about 10 minutes:

Old 02-03-20, 02:00 PM

Yea, there was a PBS documentary a few years back that had clips from this in it.
Old 02-03-20, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If this is unedited, it'll be Rated R for language and brief violence. $75 million is a lot to pay for an R rated filmed stage musical.
Old 02-03-20, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Yea, there was a PBS documentary a few years back that had clips from this in it.
That doc was really good. I watched it a couple times. I’ve seen the show twice but will still be in for this.
Old 02-03-20, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
If this is unedited, it'll be Rated R for language and brief violence. $75 million is a lot to pay for an R rated filmed stage musical.
I bet it will get a PG-13 rating.
It does not warrant an R.
Old 02-03-20, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ll have to watch that, somehow never caught it.
Old 02-03-20, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
I’ll have to watch that, somehow never caught it.
It’s called Hamilton’s America.
Old 02-03-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bet it will get a PG-13 rating.
It does not warrant an R.
I'm sure Disney can push their weight around to get it PG-13, but it definitely breaks the 1 fuck rule.

Breakdown of the cussing in Hamilton
3 Ass
5 Bastard
6 Damn
4 Damned
1 Fuck
1 Fuuuuuu-
1 Who the F is this
3 Goddamn
4 Hell
1 Motherfucker
1 Motherfucking
1 Shat
3 Shit
2 Shits
1 Shitting
4 Whore
Old 02-03-20, 02:29 PM

For sure. That’s basically what I mean.

It’s not just restricted to one though. I’ve heard it in PG13 more than once. And they are more lenient if it isn’t used in a sexual way. There’s a majority voting rule that can allow for it. Doesn’t Million Dollar baby use it like 4 times? That is PG13.

Alternatively, they could’ve used their own censoring technique of Fuuu... One of the motherfuckers they bleep themselves as well. I doubt that though.

Last edited by dex14; 02-03-20 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-03-20, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Plus with them announcing that Disney is the company behind this screams that it'll be PG-13 max, otherwise it would be under 20th Century or Searchlight.
Old 02-03-20, 03:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, they can definitely tweak the recording a bit, if they even have to, to ensure a PG-13 rating if there's any fuss from the MPAA, which seems unlikely. Hell, they can even go the unrated route without much scrutiny since it's a stage show recording and not a "real" movie. The live version recordings of Rent and Cats are both unrated (the subsequent movies are PG-13 and PG, respectively).
Old 02-03-20, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

I wonder what that means to the actual film version adaptation. It was going to be years off anyways, but this might make it meaningless.

Also wonder why they are waiting until 10/2021 to release it. Seems like a long time away for something that was finished years ago.
Old 02-03-20, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I wonder what that means to the actual film version adaptation. It was going to be years off anyways, but this might make it meaningless.

Also wonder why they are waiting until 10/2021 to release it. Seems like a long time away for something that was finished years ago.
I assume it’s money. The North American tour site lists dates through December 2020 with more than a dozen other cities listed ambiguously as “2020-2021 season.”
Old 02-03-20, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah you are probably right about that.

I am very curious to see how this does at the box office. Essentially it's a Fathom Event as a major motion picture release. Never been done before. This is probably the only musical with enough built-in demand and fandom to even think of trying this.
Old 02-03-20, 08:12 PM

I don’t see an actual film adaptation happening. I wouldn’t really see the point with this existing.

Deadline mentions: Studios had to pledge not to release it until at least 2021.

Last edited by dex14; 02-11-20 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-03-20, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the same people who makes animated movies, then live action versions, then Broadway plays of them...

I saw this last year, and while it's a great production, it escapes me why this is so revered. I like Miranda, but I guess the whole Broadway thing to me is just something I'm not meant to fully understand.
Old 02-03-20, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
I'm sure Disney can push their weight around to get it PG-13, but it definitely breaks the 1 fuck rule.

Breakdown of the cussing in Hamilton
3 Ass
5 Bastard
6 Damn
4 Damned
1 Fuck
1 Fuuuuuu-
1 Who the F is this
3 Goddamn
4 Hell
1 Motherfucker
1 Motherfucking
1 Shat
3 Shit
2 Shits
1 Shitting
4 Whore
Quite a few movies gave 2+ fucks and still got a PG-13.

Anyway for fun:

Old 02-03-20, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah you are probably right about that.

I am very curious to see how this does at the box office. Essentially it's a Fathom Event as a major motion picture release. Never been done before. This is probably the only musical with enough built-in demand and fandom to even think of trying this.
Tickets were astronomical to see the original cast (I was in NYC between its transfer from the Public to Broadway - I totally would have seen it if the timing had worked out). That right there ensures a lot of tickets sold to musical theater fans.
Old 02-04-20, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Disney paid $75mil to acquire. They aren’t just dropping it on Disney+.

I think there is a huge market for people who want to see the original cast, but didn’t. Or, never saw the show at all.
So after marketing, Disney will be dropping at least over $100 million on a theatrical release of a recording of the Broadway show. I'm sorry, I know this is a very, very popular musical and everything Disney touches is gold, but I don't see this doing over $100 million theatrically. And I can't imagine it will do well at ALL overseas.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.