DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/649759-birds-prey-fantabulous-emancipation-one-harley-quinn-yan-2020-%97-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 01-31-20 11:30 AM

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)" (Starring: Margot Robbie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ewan McGregor, Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Rosie Perez, Chris Messina, Ali Wong)

Release Date:
2/7/20

Rating:
R (for strong violence and language, and some sexual and drug material throughout.)

Running Time:
109m. (1h. 49m.)

Budget:
$100 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
A twisted tale told by Harley Quinn herself, when Gotham's most nefariously narcissistic villain, Roman Sionis, and his zealous right-hand, Zsasz, put a target on a young girl named Cass, the city is turned upside down looking for her. Harley, Huntress, Black Canary and Renee Montoya's paths collide, and the unlikely foursome have no choice but to team up to take Roman down.

End credit sequence(s):
?

IMDb Info and Rating:
0.0 (0 votes as of 1/31/19)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:NA Rotten:NA (NA% as of 1/31/19)

Metacritic:
TBD metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 1/31/19)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
https://i.imgur.com/aFijgWO.jpg

VinVega 01-31-20 12:16 PM

Re: Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

Poll typo fixed.

OldBoy 01-31-20 06:28 PM

Re: Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

thanks Vin!

DJariya 02-04-20 03:08 PM

So I'm planning to see this Thursday night. I've been buying my tickets through A-List on Fandango because of the $5 rewards for every 4 movies you see.

For some odd reason, Fandango isn't showing the Dolby Cinema listings for this movie. Or at least in my area. I've been waiting since last week for it to appear. All I see is the IMAX and regular showings.

Then I checked the AMC app and noticed that the seats are filling up, so I had to order the ticket via the AMC app. Don't know if this is isolated or not. Weird that Fandango isn't displaying the listings for Dolby Cinema.

dex14 02-04-20 03:09 PM

I see Dolby screenings on Fandango for my theatres.

OldBoy 02-04-20 06:37 PM

When does reviews ban get lifted? Depending upon, this might be first in 2020 I see...

DJariya 02-04-20 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13682652)
When does reviews ban get lifted? Depending upon, this might be first in 2020 I see...

Social media embargo lifted on January 29th. Plenty of reaction by simply doing a search.

Full reviews looks like tomorrow.

DJariya 02-04-20 07:06 PM

I messaged Fandango and AMC and it looks like that one specific theatre was an isolated incident for the non-listing for Dolby.

Oh well, as I said, I got my ticket through the AMC app for an 8:45pm Dolby Cinema showing.

OldBoy 02-04-20 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13682661)
Social media embargo lifted on January 29th. Plenty of reaction by simply doing a search.

Full reviews looks like tomorrow.

so what’s sum of social reaction?

DJariya 02-04-20 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13682675)
so what’s sum of social reaction?

Mostly positive

https://www.cnet.com/news/birds-of-p...-dc-movie-yet/

https://screenrant.com/birds-prey-mo...tions-reviews/

dex14 02-05-20 11:42 AM

91% currently: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/birds_of_prey_2020

Hokeyboy 02-05-20 02:53 PM

After that disastrous first trailer (and somewhat redemptive second one), I'm actually shocked at the onslaught of positive reviews.

OldBoy 02-05-20 06:00 PM

That sounds good!

OldBoy 02-05-20 09:17 PM

Yup. Most likely go Saturday. Sounds like a female version of Deadpool. Gonna be fun. I need fun. And gory, and crude...

Mike86 02-05-20 09:24 PM

Think I’m going Saturday as well.

stingermck 02-06-20 07:18 AM

Seeing it tonight. Saw TV spots saying Harley Quinn in Birds of Prey. Good to make sure people know the focus is on her.

RichC2 02-06-20 08:13 AM

91% @ 95 reviews is pretty solid.

Osiris3657 02-06-20 11:21 AM

I'm honestly alittle stunned at the RT score, just because of DC's history and the trailer didn't do much for me. I was going to see it one way or another, but it's nice to be going in with high expectations.

Giantrobo 02-06-20 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 13683704)
I'm honestly alittle stunned at the RT score, just because of DC's history and the trailer didn't do much for me. I was going to see it one way or another, but it's nice to be going in with high expectations.

I'm an admitted DC Fanboy :p.. but I'm rotfl at all the DC Fanboys in the DC groups I'm in who are suddenly acting like RT is "awesome" and is their friend based on the early high score. It's like, Dude! Just wait...the RT Hammer is gonna drop any minute now :lol:

dex14 02-06-20 07:27 PM

I'm mixed on it. The direction, production design, and acting are pretty good. Robbie is, of course, great. The script isn't very tight and the pacing is all over the place. I found myself bored at times. It's not a bad movie and I'm sure plenty will like it. I think the RT score is too high, so don't go in expecting to be blown away or anything.

The stunt work is great, but that is to be expected when you have Stahelski and his crew overseeing the action and stunts.

Perkinsun Dzees 02-07-20 12:36 AM

I thought it was mildly entertaining. Robbie was on point as HQ and some of the action scenes were very well done, but the first half of the movie was slow, the plot didn't engage me enough, the tone felt a little all over the place, and the non-linear storytelling moments just seemed like a gimmick that didn't really add much to the narrative. It's certainly better than Suicide Squad, but not on par with Deadpool.

DJariya 02-07-20 03:07 AM

I gave it 3 1/2 stars.

I can't say it was a great movie, but I got some enjoyment out of it and there were a lot of LOL moments. Robbie is great as Harley again. Funny, whacky and super over the top. At times it felt like a looney toons cartoon. But then again Harley is a psychopath murderer, so some may have a problem rooting for her.

Action and fight scenes are also solid. McGregor’s Black Mask is just an asshole who happens to cut faces off and kind of a Whiney bitch too.

Huntress and Canary weren't really developed that well where you cared much about them. But they did look good in the fight scenes & Huntress was pretty funny. . But, overall It's definitely better than Suicide Squad. I appreciated that it had the edge that SS lacked.

and no there are no bonus scenes. (I did a quick google search as the credits rolled before I scrammed. Movie ended at 11pm, so it was late)

stingermck 02-07-20 05:39 AM

Fun flick. Robbie is perfect as Harley and you can see she loves the role and has fun with it. Ewan was great as Black Mask and that's a character that can be a lot of fun in the comics. Huntress was the scene stealer. I definitely want to see more solo Harley, but BOP could not carry a movie without her.

There is a small something after the credits:
Spoiler:
Harley does a voice over, saying you're still here? Well since you waited , I will tell you something. Batman is.. and it's cut off.

Perkinsun Dzees 02-07-20 06:02 AM

One scene I found cringeworthy in the movie was when:

Spoiler:
Roman Sionis forces a terrified woman get up on a table to dance and has her companion cut her dress off. There's no humor to the scene, no real payoff and it didn't really lead to anything. It just felt like a rather nasty and misogynistic sequence that didn't fit the tone of the movie at all. I guess the scene was there to make us hate Ewan's character even more, but at that point we already know that he's a sadistic psychopath so the scene just ended up feeling like overkill.

Shannon Nutt 02-07-20 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 13683704)

A good chunk of the "positive" reviews are 2.5 out of 5 stars ratings. I wish RT would just throw middling scores out instead of having them go to one side or the other. But then again, there's more middling movies than good ones or bad ones. ;)