Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020)-The Reviews Thread
0%
3.23%
35.48%
9.68%
19.35%
6.45%
12.90%
6.45%
3.23%
0%
0%
What are you high?
3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

Old 02-21-20, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Re: Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by devilshalo
On the left is Jessica De Gouw who was the Arrow-verse Huntress.

But the Arrow-verse does have both Dinah Lance and Dinah Drake as different Black Canary.

Fixed. Thanks for correcting And my point still stands. BOP didn't have the first mixed race Canaray. It shouldn't even be an issue.
Old 02-21-20, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

Changing Black Canary from black to white isn’t a big deal to me. I can see some die hard fans wanting complete comic-accuracy but it gets boring and unrealistic if all the main cast is white. Plus Smollett-Bell has that feisty personality and they gave her blonde hair. Just wish she had a more distinctive outfit. Her comic costume though would look a little iffy on screen.

Anyway, look at the casting for Domino in Deadpool 2. Worked for the best, and their take on her signature look was creative and looked good.
Old 02-23-20, 07:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

did they have any explanation of where Batman was with all the mayhem, especially the blowing up of Ace chemicals?
Old 03-16-20, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts

Comes out next week via digital HD fr purchase:

https://www.ign.com/articles/birds-o...virus-outbreak

Just pre-ordered the UHD version on VUDU (pre-order now and get $3 back upon release). The UHD is $19.99.
Old 03-25-20, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

The first 20 minutes of this were terrible - they made Harley come off less unhinged and more just throughly childish and the timing was off on every gag. But it bounced back decently after that, but the timing on Harleys pratfall remained off the entire time. I wouldn't say it was on Robbie, it just seemed poorly edited or directed in spots.

Ewan McGregor was great in his role.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-25-20 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-25-20, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The first 20 minutes of this were terrible - they made Harley come off less unhinged and more just throughly childish and the timing was off on every gag. But it bounced back decently after that, but the timing on Harleys pratfall remained off the entire time. I wouldn't say it was on Robbie, it just seemed poorly edited or directed in spots.

Ewan McGregor was great in his role.
I thought the whole movie was terrible. McGregor was the only bright spot.
Old 03-25-20, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Yeah, I was kinda being nice. I wasn't bored by the rest of the movie but it wasn't very good.

The animated series is way better.
Old 04-04-20, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

I came in with zero expectations (and never even got around to Suicide Squad). Watched it with the kids tonight. I really enjoyed the hell out of it. Yes it was dumb with little plot, but it was really fun and stylish and had some cool action scenes. Loved Robbie and McGregor (and Rosie Perez and Mary Elizabeth Winstead as well, to a lesser degree). Just a fun movie to watch at home.
Old 04-04-20, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

This movie was by far the worst of the lot. Everything people loved about Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad is seemingly missing here.
Old 04-04-20, 08:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I came in with zero expectations (and never even got around to Suicide Squad). Watched it with the kids tonight. I really enjoyed the hell out of it. Yes it was dumb with little plot, but it was really fun and stylish and had some cool action scenes. Loved Robbie and McGregor (and Rosie Perez and Mary Elizabeth Winstead as well, to a lesser degree). Just a fun movie to watch at home.
older kids doc? As much as I hated, it was pretty graphic and brutal...
Old 04-04-20, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
older kids doc? As much as I hated, it was pretty graphic and brutal...
13 and 18. My 13 year old assures me that he's heard worse language in school every day. I have only recently let him see R rated fare. We have watched all three Matrix, the John Wick trilogy and Terminator 1 & 2. He has loved them all.
He doesn't like scary movies, and he looked away at the Zsasz scene in this film, but mostly he's okay with language and violence.
Old 05-19-20, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn was one of the few highlights of Suicide Squad but once this one was announced, I felt indifferent and the trailers didn't do much to change that to the point I skipped this in theaters. Watching it now, I came away shrugging my shoulders. Some of the action scenes, supervised by Chad Stahelski, were okay but the pacing was all off and the actual BIRDS OF PREY, were sidelined and don't really get any memorable moments. Similarly, Ewan McGregor was alright but a weak villain.

As a fan of the Batman comic book, outside of HQ, none of these resemble their counterparts, most notably Cassandra Cain who was a great character (trained as an assassin as a little girl by her father, David Cain, before being taken in by Bruce Wayne).

IDK, in the end this was a misfire and don't think it was the fault of an inexperienced director (using the same script, not sure anyone else would've made all that much better). Could be a case of being too much of a vanity project for Robbie. **Ύ/*****