Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020)-The Reviews Thread
0%
3.23%
35.48%
9.68%
19.35%
6.45%
12.90%
6.45%
3.23%
0%
0%
What are you high?
3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

Old 02-20-20, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

Oh for fuckssake...I seem to be the only person on earth who knew who these women were. Fandom is so stupid they needed bright costumes to be able to identify and tell them apart apparently. The ads saying who they were and interviews with the actresses telling people who they were weren't enough. Sigh...
It doesn't matter if YOU know who they are, the problem was that the mainstream audiences, casual fans, or people who want to see versions closer to the ones they are familiar with do not recognize who they are, or do not want to see that version of them onscreen. Huntress is an Italian woman with black hair and a purple costume and mask. Here we have Mary Elizbeth Winstead in a motorcycle suit and helmet. Black Canary is a leggy blonde white woman with fishnet stockings and a leather jacket. Here, she is a mixed woman with blonde hair and nothing else to signify her as the BC. Cassandra Cain? A teenaged assassin known for being Batgirl. Here? Shes a teenage pick pocket. If you have casual fans who maybe remember the characters from the comics, the cartoons, Smallvile or the Arrowverse how the heck are they to recognize them from the trailer? We are supposed to be in an era where studios are not afraid to embrace comic style costumes, and instead this movie seemed to indicate they were embarrassed to embrace the comic book side in order to be realistic.

Yeah, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is not just some fucking random looking woman. She's beautiful and has got a fairly extensive resume including Fargo on FX and 10 Cloverfield Lane.
She also is not a box office draw, and is most likely to be unrecognizable to most movie goers, or would illicit a response of "Hey wasn't she in that one thing?"

The Huntress character to me seemed a little more grounded in reality. I don't think she needed the fancy mask and purple costume to stay true to the comic roots. Not everything that is written or drawn in a comic needs to be translated verbatim to the screen IMO.
Honest question. Is there any reason why she could not have worn the purple costume and mask that she wears at the end of the movie for the rest of it? I agree no everything needs to be translated verbatim from the comics, but they also should not hide it to make the characters be unrecognizable. Using that logic, since Batman Begins was more "grounded in reality" why did we need him in the batman costume? He should have just worn his ski mask and cave diving suit the whole film.

Old 02-20-20, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

Totally agree with the lack of costumes. Looked like older comic movies that were afraid of its roots, and that looks silly in a post MCU world.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (02-21-20)
Old 02-20-20, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 690 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
The action scenes were drab and unoriginal.
Harley bounced a baseball bat off the floor, hit someone in the head with it and then caught it in one shot. She took down another group of bad guys and participated in a car chase while wearing roller skates. You can certainly not like a movie, but the action sequences were the best part of these.
Old 02-20-20, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Totally agree with the lack of costumes. Looked like older comic movies that were afraid of its roots, and that looks silly in a post MCU world.
I think it was probably more of a situation of: how do we do this as cheap as possible? A lot cheaper to get some fairly basic wardrobe versus having to do costumes. I’m not sure how much costumes would have helped, but I do think it would have at least made the characters more definable.
Old 02-20-20, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I certainly didn't sit in the theater thinking "this movie would be better if Huntress had a stupid-looking mask on her face".
Old 02-20-20, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the record I liked the film. It doesn’t mean there can’t be some criticism as to what could have made it better/more appealing.
Old 02-20-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
For the record I liked the film. It doesn’t mean there can’t be some criticism as to what could have made it better/more appealing.
Sure, that's what the thread is for. But Huntress's lack of a giant purple mask on her face that only looks good on the pages of a comic book is not a knock against the film, IMHO.
story (02-20-20)
Old 02-20-20, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Sure, that's what the thread is for. But Huntress's lack of a giant purple mask on her face that only looks good on the pages of a comic book is not a knock against the film, IMHO.
The thing is there have been plenty of comic book films now to where costumes are easily adapted. Even if there are adjustments made so they look better for live action. It may have been an excuse at one point to not do them, but anymore it comes off kinda cheap.
story (02-20-20)
Old 02-20-20, 12:56 PM

Received 899 Likes on 521 Posts

Old 02-20-20, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post

Honest question. Is there any reason why she could not have worn the purple costume and mask that she wears at the end of the movie for the rest of it? I agree no everything needs to be translated verbatim from the comics, but they also should not hide it to make the characters be unrecognizable. Using that logic, since Batman Begins was more "grounded in reality" why did we need him in the batman costume? He should have just worn his ski mask and cave diving suit the whole film.
Because he was already established as Batman and built his costume as a bat from the get go partially due to his connection with bats. He wasn't "Ski Mask Man"

and for the record, this is the 1st time we're ever seeing Huntress on screen. Characters can evolve and develop. She didn't need to come out right off the bat wearing her purple costume and mask.
Old 02-20-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by story View Post

"That's not the Huntress's costume! It looks just like Hit Girl!" - Huntress fans, probably.
Old 02-20-20, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
...and for the record, this is the 1st time we're ever seeing Huntress on screen.
Well, on the big screen, but she's been shown on the small screen twice now. And the Arrow-verse version is the closest to a comic book adaptation as far as costume (she has had a few different looks).

Old 02-20-20, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Yes that's what I meant....The Big Screen. I'm aware of the Birds of Prey TV series with her being the offspring of Batman and Catwoman and the Arrow version, which is a little more closer to this one.
Old 02-20-20, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The thing is.. why is it that the Arrow-verse has not shied away from costumed crusaders, but the films, outside of the big named superheroes, have?
Old 02-20-20, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I think it was probably more of a situation of: how do we do this as cheap as possible? A lot cheaper to get some fairly basic wardrobe versus having to do costumes. I’m not sure how much costumes would have helped, but I do think it would have at least made the characters more definable.
i think you’re right. It takes a lot of time and effort, and money, to make superhero characters and their look translate well to the big screen. They probably didn’t have the money or time to do that for three more characters.

That doesn’t explain Cassandra Cain though. Why even name the character that? I guess this is DC’s attempt at Asian representation by taking an Asian superhero and turning her into an ordinary person.

I certainly didn't sit in the theater thinking "this movie would be better if Huntress had a stupid-looking mask on her face".
But Huntress's lack of a giant purple mask on her face that only looks good on the pages of a comic book is not a knock against the film, IMHO.
That’s a weird attitude to have about superhero movies. The majority of them feature characters with “stupid-looking masks” and costumes that only look good on the pages of a comic book (ex Captain America). I thought MEW was fine but again, maybe for the general public, a lack of colorful, super-looking characters in a movie about superheroes kind of dampened their interest.

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
and for the record, this is the 1st time we're ever seeing Huntress on screen. Characters can evolve and develop. She didn't need to come out right off the bat wearing her purple costume and mask.
Good luck with that now, since this movie will be lucky to break even. The studio will be hesitant to use this character again. Maybe we’ll get BOP 2 but I doubt it.

Last edited by brayzie; 02-20-20 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-20-20, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
That was my problem with Kick-Ass. That stupid looking mask. The costumes probably looked okay in a comic book but onscreen they just came across as silly.
Old 02-20-20, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
That was my problem with Kick-Ass. That stupid looking mask. The costumes probably looked okay in a comic book but onscreen they just came across as silly.
Keep in mind that Matthew Vaughn's take on "Kick-Ass" was very tongue-in-cheek.
Old 02-20-20, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched it sometime last week. Must say was underwhelmed by it. Had such high hopes for it too after watching the trailer.
Old 02-20-20, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 300 Likes on 210 Posts

Thought it was okay, but not one I will probably own. The animated series, however... Love it. Might be because she isn't carrying that one so much, or because it's just so out there.
Old 02-20-20, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Thought it was okay, but not one I will probably own. The animated series, however... Love it. Might be because she isn't carrying that one so much, or because it's just so out there.
Could that be part of it though? Are the drawn versions (page and screen) so off-the-wall that a live-action Harley Quinn not capable of being as “zany” as her inked counterpart? (I don’t know enough about the comics or tv show to have any answer. Given the show is exclusively on yet another streaming service, it’s unlikely I ever will.)

I didn’t get the Deadpool character comparisons at first, but I think I am getting it after reading some of the posts here.
Old 02-20-20, 10:48 PM
Premium Member

Received 300 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Could that be part of it though? Are the drawn versions (page and screen) so off-the-wall that a live-action Harley Quinn not capable of being as “zany” as her inked counterpart? (I don’t know enough about the comics or tv show to have any answer. Given the show is exclusively on yet another streaming service, it’s unlikely I ever will.)

I didn’t get the Deadpool character comparisons at first, but I think I am getting it after reading some of the posts here.
For the animated series, yep. It’s pretty bizarre. Even though the show is called Harley, other characters are very prominent, especially Poison Ivy and I think that helps too.
Old 02-21-20, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 810 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Well, on the big screen, but she's been shown on the small screen twice now. And the Arrow-verse version is the closest to a comic book adaptation as far as costume (she has had a few different looks).

BTW, since robin2099 brought up Black Canary's ethnicity. One of Black Canarys in the Arrowverse Juliana Harkavy is also mixed race like Jurnee Smollett-Bell in HQBOP. So let's not act like it's never been done. Maybe Jurnee would have gotten a more fanboy friendly costume by the sequel. Guess we may never know..

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-21-20 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-21-20, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
BTW, since robin2099 brought up Black Canary's ethnicity. the Black Canary on the left Juliana Harkavy is also mixed race like Jurnee Smollett-Bell in HQBOP. So let's not act like it's never been done. Maybe Jurnee would have gotten a more fanboy friendly costume by the sequel. Guess we may never know..
On the left is Jessica De Gouw who was the Arrow-verse Huntress.

But the Arrow-verse does have both Dinah Lance and Dinah Drake as different Black Canary.
Old 02-21-20, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can give the Arrow-verse crap for having bad teen drama writing, but a lot of their costumes are actually quite good for tv show standards.
Old 02-21-20, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can give the Arrow-verse crap for having bad teen drama writing, but a lot of their costumes are actually quite good for tv show standards.
I think all of their costumes, apart from Ray's Atom suit and the Monitor/Anti-Monitor, look good and are pretty spot on even with some slight alterations.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.