Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020)-The Reviews Thread
0%
3.23%
35.48%
9.68%
19.35%
6.45%
12.90%
6.45%
3.23%
0%
0%
What are you high?
3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

Old 02-12-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 727 Likes on 595 Posts
Re: Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
Also, where the fuck was Batman while all this was going on? Come on man, do your damn job!
That’s one problem I always have with these more villain centric movies. The universe is established and Batman exists. It also seems like it would make sense that Robin, Nightwing, and Batgirl would be in this universe somewhere. Suicide Squad I had the same issue.

Venom got away with it because it’s in Los Angeles and we’re not really sure what it’s supposed to be yet (it’s own thing or tying into something else). Not sure where Morbius is taking place yet (I think New York though).
Old 02-12-20, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 461 Posts
Re: Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Yan, 2020) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
That’s one problem I always have with these more villain centric movies. The universe is established and Batman exists. It also seems like it would make sense that Robin, Nightwing, and Batgirl would be in this universe somewhere. Suicide Squad I had the same issue.
I mean, isn’t that a comic book problem in general?
Old 02-12-20, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I mean, isn’t that a comic book problem in general?
I think it stands out more when focusing on villains though. I get it though that in this movie Harley was more of an antihero and Black Mask was a worse villain. I think it’s just with comic books and films based on them certain things a person comes to accept. Like I can buy that Batman or Superman is taking care of business where they’re at and doesn’t need the reinforcements of other heroes coming in to help.

When it’s just villains though it kind of stands out more that a hero isn’t getting involved, but I guess you can probably say that whichever hero is occupied by someone or something else.
Old 02-14-20, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
The Huntress is Catwoman's daughter anyways.

I only ever watched the old BoP television series, so that confused me. After looking it up it seems the new movie was more accurate to the comics.
Old 02-14-20, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
I only ever watched the old BoP television series, so that confused me. After looking it up it seems the new movie was more accurate to the comics.
Both are semi-accurate.
Originally the Huntress was Batman and Catwoman’s daughter in an alternate universe, Earth 2. DC rebooted their comic universe, so no multiple realities. They rebooted Huntress to the mafia daughter version in the early 90s.
Then they brought back Earth 2 Huntress and she was briefly stuck in the regular DCU.

I just mentioned they could make her costume more like Catwoman as a subtle homage to the OG version.
The following users liked this post:
JTH182 (02-16-20)
Old 02-15-20, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

The definition of mixed bag. It was winning me over about midway through.. but the last act at the abandoned amusement park (which apparently still has all the lights on?) and with Black Mask was a real letdown. Not taking anything away from it being obviously very low budget, but it just wasn't executed well enough. Rosie Perez looked completely out of place...I recall this casting being questioned due to her being 20+yrs older than everyone else and I'm sorry but it showed. And I enjoyed Ewan's chewing the scenery but the character should have just been some club owner...not one of the Batman villains. I enjoyed seeing the different aspects of Gotham City...I wish that was a little more fleshed out.

Last edited by Artman; 02-16-20 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-17-20, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,591 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
They could change the title to "Batman's Harley Quinn" and it wouldn't make a difference at the box office. People felt burned by Suicide Squad and they didn't want to see more.
I guess all those pre-teen girls who dressed up as Harley Quinn for Halloween a few years ago have moved on to something else.
Old 02-17-20, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 699 Likes on 502 Posts

Saw it today. It was fine for what it was. Story wasn't strong enough and as much as I like Robbie and her take on Harley, she isn't strong enough to carry a movie. I will say most of the fight sequences were top notch.
Old 02-18-20, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I guess all those pre-teen girls who dressed up as Harley Quinn for Halloween a few years ago have moved on to something else.
It's why the R rating was a miscalculation. They cut off part of their audience for no real reason since that movie didn't need to be rated R.
Old 02-18-20, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Saw this on friday night and thought it was pretty good. My wife also liked it.
Old 02-18-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
It's why the R rating was a miscalculation. They cut off part of their audience for no real reason since that movie didn't need to be rated R.
Maybe.
I can see why Deadpool was a gamble that paid off. Then Logan came along with an R rating and was successful. Deadpool 2.
DC comes back with Joker. Huge hit.
DC wants a repeat like Fox. Deadpool was a lesser known character that pulled off the R rating. Wolverine was well known and pulled it off.
I can see why they thought they had it in the bag as they were leading with a well known character (Joker) R-rated movie, and they thought that good will would translate to his popular sidekick.
Plus, if they made it PG-13 maybe they assumed moviegoers might think it's watered down?

Aside from the criticisms already listed, I think the story was kind of weak. Title was bad. Weak promotion. And the back up cast wasn't too good.
Deadpool had Colossus, a visually distinctive and maybe even iconic X-Men character. Deadpool 2 had him AND Cable.
With Logan they brought back Professor X.

Birds of Prey had some three random-looking women, and a teenaged kid. Maybe one costumed character wasn't enough to get people interested.
Ditch the Birds of Prey concept, and just call it "Harley Quinn," and feature more colorful looking female characters as her squad.
Old 02-18-20, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 682 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Maybe.
I can see why Deadpool was a gamble that paid off. Then Logan came along with an R rating and was successful. Deadpool 2.
DC comes back with Joker. Huge hit.
DC wants a repeat like Fox. Deadpool was a lesser known character that pulled off the R rating. Wolverine was well known and pulled it off.
I can see why they thought they had it in the bag as they were leading with a well known character (Joker) R-rated movie, and they thought that good will would translate to his popular sidekick.
Plus, if they made it PG-13 maybe they assumed moviegoers might think it's watered down?

Aside from the criticisms already listed, I think the story was kind of weak. Title was bad. Weak promotion. And the back up cast wasn't too good.
Deadpool had Colossus, a visually distinctive and maybe even iconic X-Men character. Deadpool 2 had him AND Cable.
With Logan they brought back Professor X.

Birds of Prey had some three random-looking women, and a teenaged kid. Maybe one costumed character wasn't enough to get people interested.
Ditch the Birds of Prey concept, and just call it "Harley Quinn," and feature more colorful looking female characters as her squad.

I agree with most of the BOP criticisms in your post. It's bad from a marketing standpoint. I think that's what is turning most off. It's an awesome movie, though.
Old 02-19-20, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally I feel like Black Canary, Huntress, Montoya, and Cassandra Cain could have been ditched in favor of Batgirl instead. You could have had Harley and Batgirl reluctantly team up to take on Black Mask. It would have been a good way to establish Batgirl on screen in the DCEU, and segue into a solo film for her later on.

I didn’t mind the film as is, but the characters all looked pretty generic. Batgirl would have added a more interesting element to the casual viewer, and it would have kept the film with a mostly female led cast. I’m sure it was cheaper doing it the way they did though.
Old 02-19-20, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 852 Likes on 574 Posts

Birds of Prey had some three random-looking women, and a teenaged kid.

Oh for fuckssake...I seem to be the only person on earth who knew who these women were. Fandom is so stupid they needed bright costumes to be able to identify and tell them apart apparently. The ads saying who they were and interviews with the actresses telling people who they were weren't enough. Sigh...

Old 02-19-20, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 852 Likes on 574 Posts

Ya'll are wondering why this why that...

Robbie wanted to do a HQ movie and also wanted it to have women work together so,,,,

Margot Robbie wanted to highlight lesser-known characters in Birds of Prey

Margot Robbie, also an executive producer of the film, felt she could use the popularity of Harley Quinn to bring attention to “lesser-known” characters in the DC universe, like Black Canary, Huntress, and Cassandra Cain.
Old 02-19-20, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Oh for fuckssake...I seem to be the only person on earth who knew who these women were. Fandom is so stupid they needed bright costumes to be able to identify and tell them apart apparently. The ads saying who they were and interviews with the actresses telling people who they were weren't enough. Sigh...
I'm an old, old Comics fan and I know most of these characters quite well ...though Cassandra Cain doesn't ring a bell. However, watching the trailer/ads really didn't give me much of a feeling for the characters as I know them and the cast struck me as "Budget-Priced" and kind of a secondary part of the story. Perhaps when I eventually see the film I'll feel differently, but they didn't get me in the door .
Old 02-19-20, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know all the characters. It doesn’t make up for the fact that they all looked generic. Even Harley who’s the most “in costume” looks fairly generic with the more punk/modern Harley look she’s had while portrayed by Robbie. Casual viewers probably didn’t see the appeal from just comic character names. I think that’s at least partially a detractor from this film.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (02-21-20)
Old 02-19-20, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Yeah, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is not just some fucking random looking woman. She's beautiful and has got a fairly extensive resume including Fargo on FX and 10 Cloverfield Lane.

I get that Jurnee Smollett-Bell isn't as well known, but she's not some random person. She's done a lot of stuff including Friday Night Lights and Parenthood.

Did they need heavy makeup, lipstick and a push up bra to stand out and not look "random"?
Old 02-19-20, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who’s saying that? But at least give them some sort of costumes that resemble (even a little) their comic outfits versus basically street clothes. Black Canary’s look isn’t much to begin with, but Huntress in particular has a pretty definable look.
Old 02-19-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,294 Posts

The Huntress character to me seemed a little more grounded in reality. I don't think she needed the fancy mask and purple costume to stay true to the comic roots. Not everything that is written or drawn in a comic needs to be translated verbatim to the screen IMO.

The actresses were fine IMO. they did their jobs and played the parts.
Old 02-19-20, 02:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 487 Likes on 430 Posts

Wow. Did this suck. Pure joyless and absolutely no fun. The action scenes were drab and unoriginal. In fact there was absolutely nothing original about this movie whatsoever. I thought I would have some fun, some witty dialogue, some kick ass action. Boy, was this a total mistake. Should have seen The Gentlemen. At least that would have been fun and original considering Ritchie and his past movies. This was so dull and boring. I honestly would have never thought that about this movie, but it was just terrible with not an ounce of fun.

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-19-20 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-19-20, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m not saying they didn’t do a good job, but at least part of the appeal to a comic movie to me is larger than life characters and usually with a unique look. I think that’s especially important when these characters are basically all unknowns to the average viewer. Aside from Harley what was the draw here for many? The women here all looked fairly average from how they dressed. The actresses are good looking I’m not debating that or their acting skills.
Old 02-19-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Yeah, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is not just some fucking random looking woman. She's beautiful and has got a fairly extensive resume including Fargo on FX and 10 Cloverfield Lane.

I get that Jurnee Smollett-Bell isn't as well known, but she's not some random person. She's done a lot of stuff including Friday Night Lights and Parenthood.

Did they need heavy makeup, lipstick and a push up bra to stand out and not look "random"?
MEW and the rest of the cast were pretty much pushed to the back in the promotions I saw.
Old 02-19-20, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 581 Likes on 411 Posts

And in the movie. I enjoyed it, but it was more “One Harley Quinn and the Fantabulous Emancipation of the Birds of Prey From the Movie”.

I liked Robbie’s intent ...but she didn’t feature them at all. They played second fiddle.
Old 02-19-20, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Casual movie goers aren't going to know that these are supposed to be superhero characters. Even if you showed me a picture of Cassandra Cain, Huntress, or Black Canary from the movie, without the names I couldn't have told you who they were, let alone known they were supposed to be superheroes.

And why use these characters if you're not going to have them look like their comic counterparts? I'm not a stickler for these things myself, but maybe it's a contributing reason for the lack of interest. The average joe sees a superhero movie featuring Harley Quinn, that Joker's girlfriend from Suicide Squad and...??? I guess the average person is supposed to be excited to see a movie poster featuring a plainclothes woman with the name "RENEE MONTOYA" or "CASSANDRA CAIN" plastered across the top.

Ya'll are wondering why this why that...

Robbie wanted to do a HQ movie and also wanted it to have women work together so,,,,

Margot Robbie wanted to highlight lesser-known characters in Birds of Prey
I guess the blame is on Robbie then. I wonder if it was her choice to have them look less like comic book characters, and more like average people too.
Cassandra Cain in comics was trained since birth to be an assassin for Ra's Al Ghul, later becomes Batgirl and wears a mask covering her entire face to represent her lack of speech.
In the movie she's just a random pickpocket living in Gotham. Why bother promoting "CASSANDRA CAIN in Birds of Prey" in the first place? Comic fans are going to be disappointed and casuals are gonna be like, "who?"
Black Canary, like Mike said, doesn't have much of a costume as it is, and still they trade it in for regular clothes.

I hate to see another DC movie flop but don't worry. We'll be back with WW1984.

Random-looking in the context of superheroes. No one said Mary Elizabeth Winstead was average looking. But maybe the actresses from FX's Fargo and 2011's Friday Night Lights wasn't enough of a sell like Will Smith as Deadshot. And even he was in costume.

The Huntress character to me seemed a little more grounded in reality. I don't think she needed the fancy mask and purple costume to stay true to the comic roots. Not everything that is written or drawn in a comic needs to be translated verbatim to the screen IMO.
If we were only talking the character of Huntress, yeah. But when you're making a superhero movie and 3 of the 4 super characters aren't in costume and look nothing like their comic counter parts than it might be a problem. If you're doing something serious like Joker, that's fine with me. But doing a follow up to Suicide Squad and continuing the over-the-top comic book style but making the other superheroes so grounded to reality they look like civilians? It's an odd choice.

The actresses were fine IMO. they did their jobs and played the parts.
Yeah but it didn't do good box office-wise so we're just trying to figure out why more people didn't go out to see it.

Last edited by brayzie; 02-20-20 at 02:29 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.