Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mean Girls (2024) -- musical adaptation

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-23-20, 04:41 PM

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,018 Posts

It’s good to be mean…the “Mean Girls” musical, that is.

Producers of the hit Broadway show announced today that the Tony-nominated production is being adapted for the big screen for Paramount Pictures. The musical is based on the 2004 movie of the same name.

“I’m very excited to bring ‘Mean Girls’ back to the big screen,’ Tina Fey, who wrote the film and stage production, said in a statement. “It’s been incredibly gratifying to see how much the movie and the musical have meant to audiences. I’ve spent sixteen years with these characters now. They are my Marvel Universe and I love them dearly.”

Produced for the stage by Lorne Michaels, Stuart Thompson, Sonia Friedman, and Paramount Pictures, the ‘Mean Girls’ movie musical will reunite Fey, composer Jeff Richmond and lyricist.

Paramount president of production Elizabeth Raposo said, “We’re thrilled to be bringing this iconic property back to the big screen in musical form with our incredible filmmaking team.”

It was also announced that producers are in final talks to bring the stage show, which was directed and choreographed by Casey Nicholaw and recently recouped its capitalization, to London’s West End next year.

“It has been a joy to work on ‘Mean Girls’ and to watch it go from film, to musical, and now to musical film,” Michaels said. “I am very proud that Tina’s story and characters continue to resonate with new generations. We are all excited to continue to work with Sonia Friedman and her team as we prepare for London.”

Upcoming movie adaptations of Broadway musicals include “West Side Story,” “The Prom” and “In the Heights.” “Little Shop of Horrors,” “Come From Away” and “Sunset Boulevard” are also in development. The most recent adaptation, Universal’s $100 million “Cats,” was a complete flop with critics and at the box office.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/t...al-1203477247/
Old 01-23-20, 04:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: Mean Girls (2024) -- musical adaptation

Zero need for this.
Old 01-23-20, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,573 Likes on 982 Posts

Saw it on Broadway and it's one of my favorite shows of the over 100 I've seen in my life. It would be fun to have it offered in a way that's more accessible than paying a lot for a theater ticket
Old 01-23-20, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,912 Likes on 4,035 Posts

Wow, that is a quick turn around. Haven't even gotten the National touring company here yet.
Also did not know that Come From Away or Sunset Boulevard were in the works. I assume Glenn Close will still star in Sunset Blvd?
Old 01-23-20, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Wow, that is a quick turn around. Haven't even gotten the National touring company here yet.
Also did not know that Come From Away or Sunset Boulevard were in the works. I assume Glenn Close will still star in Sunset Blvd?
Come From Away is an incredible story - I'm glad it's getting that treatment.

I was in Sunset Boulevard a few years ago - I played the butler Max. I am not excited about a movie version
Old 01-23-20, 05:41 PM

You just forgot: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...enn-close.html
Old 01-23-20, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
Clearly I did. This was a good line too :
It would have to be a huge gut-punch to be told you're too old to play Norma Desmond.
Old 01-23-20, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 281 Posts

So its just going to be a remake with songs.
Old 01-23-20, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
So its just going to be a remake with songs.
Yeah that is what a Musical usually is.
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (11-05-23)
Old 12-09-22, 04:25 PM

Angourie Rice, Reneé Rapp, Auli’i Cravalho, and Jaquel Spivey join the ensemble cast of Paramount Pictures’ new Mean Girls film based on the Tony-nominated Broadway musical in the roles of Cady, Regina, Janis and Damian, respectively.

Lorne Michaels is producing with Tina Fey. Erin David, Caroline Maroney, and Micah Frank are overseeing for Broadway Video, and Eric Gurian and Jeff Richmond for Little Stranger. Arturo Perez and Samantha Jayne are directing with Fey writing the adaptation.

The film is based on the stage musical Mean Girls written by Fey, with music by Richmond and lyrics by Nell Benjamin. Paramount Pictures is adapting the new film for Paramount+.

Most recently, Rice starred in Paramount+ and Awesomeness films’ dark comedy Honor Society in which Rice played the titular role of Honor. The feature quickly rose to #1 on the streamer following its release. Rice also appeared alongside Rebel Wilson in the Netflix comedy Senior Year. The comedy shot to the top of the Netflix Top 10 list and was watched for almost 56 million hours in its first 3 days on the platform.

Rapp is one of the stars of the HBO Max breakout hit Sex Lives of College Girls, which is currently in its second season. She also has the musical chops having just released her first solo EP, Everything To Everyone. She made her Broadway debut as Regina in Mean Girls (Taylor Louderman originated the role).

Best known for voicing the titular character in the Disney hit movie Moana, Cravalho was most recently seen in Netflix’s feature film All Together Now directed by Brett Haley and as Ariel in ABC’s acclaimed television production of The Little Mermaid Live. She can currently be seen in Hulu’s Darby of the Dead.

Spivey garnered extraordinary accolades as well as Drama Desk, Outer Critics Circle and Theater World Awards for his professional debut in the tour-de-force role of ‘Usher’ in the Broadway production of Michael R. Jackson’s 2020 Pulitzer Prize winning musical, A Strange Loop.

Rice is repped by Catherine Poulton Management, WME, Sloane, Offer, Weber & Dern, Rapp is repped by Immersive Management and WME and Cravalho is repped by Gersh, Stagecoach and Goodman, Genow, Schenkman, Smelkinson & Christopher.
https://deadline.com/2022/12/new-mea...ey-1235194827/
Old 12-09-22, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fun - it's a great show (the set is incredible too - it's basically a giant video screen but there are cut-outs all over it so it can be a field in Africa or the mall or the school, etc. It'll be interesting to see if they keep some of that "magic" in there). Looks like a talented cast too!
Old 01-02-23, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

This might be fun, but I would have preferred to see Fey finally commit to a proper sequel - especially for the twentieth anniversary next year. The original cast is up for it and I'd love to see McAdams playing Regina George today.
Old 02-17-23, 12:30 PM

Fey will once again portray math teacher Ms. Norbury in Paramount+’s upcoming film adaptation of the Broadway musical Mean Girls, which itself was an adaptation of the 2004 Fey-written film in which she first played Ms. Norbury. (Help!)

In other Mean Girls movie-musical news, Tim Meadows will also reprise his role as Principal Duvall.

Fey shared the big news during her Thursday appearance on Late Night With Seth Meyers: “We couldn’t age out [of the roles],” she acknowledged. “Teachers work forever. I do want it to be like when Gilligan from Gilligan’s Island was at a trade show and you’d be like, ‘Oh, he looks so old in his little hat.'”
Old 02-17-23, 01:08 PM

Nice. Delighted that they're both back. Terrific Tim Meadows performance.

I'm seeing the musical for the first time next month, almost exactly three years after my last tickets to the show were cancelled thanks to Covid.
Old 02-17-23, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,004 Likes on 797 Posts

..it's amazing how hot 50-something actresses are these days.
Old 03-22-23, 11:57 PM

At the show tonight. My wife told me about this story that is coming our right now. It's a shitty situation. Wiseman is specifically thanked and cited in the show notes in the program.

The writer who inspired ‘Mean Girls’ says she’s considering legal action against Tina Fey and Paramount

Rosalind Wiseman, who wrote the book that inspired Tina Fey's Mean Girls, "Queen Bees and Wannabes," said she's owed fair compensation and is considering legal action against the film's creators.

Published Mar 21, 2023
The author whose book inspired Tina Fey’s Mean Girls says that when she asked for “unpaid dues,” she was hit with something akin to “

Rosalind Wiseman, who wrote Queen Bees and Wannabes — the book that inspired Mean Girls — has watched the film and its offshoots become a cultural phenomenon over the years. Now, she’s considering legal action against Fey and Paramount Studios, she told the New York Post.

Wiseman signed a $400,000 deal in 2002 for the film rights. She says the contract included “guaranteed net profits” based on the original film’s success. But the author says she’s been stonewalled over the years and told by Paramount that the studio had no net profits.

“I suspect most people would be shocked at how shabbily Rosalind Wiseman has been treated,” Wiseman’s lawyer, Ryan Keech, told the Post. “It is nothing short of shameful for a company with the resources of Paramount to go to the lengths to which it has gone to deny Ms. Wiseman what she is fairly entitled to for having created what has become one of the most iconic entertainment franchises of the last 25 years.”

Since its 2004 debut, Mean Girls has solidified a spot in pop culture history, launching Oscar nominee Amanda Seyfried’s career and catapulting Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, and Lacey Chabert even more into the spotlight. The film had a $17 million budget but became a surprise smash, grossing $130 million globally. By 2018, a musical version of Mean Girls — with the book also written by Fey — opened on Broadway. It was nominated for a dozen Tony Awards. The film also inspired a poorly received direct-to-TV sequel in 2011 that did not involve Fey.

“Yes, I had a terrible contract, but the movie has made so much money, and they keep recycling my work over and over again, so to not even consider me ... I just feel like the hypocrisy is too much,” Wiseman said. “I think it’s fair for me to be able to get compensated in some way for the work that has changed our culture and changed the zeitgeist.”

Wiseman told the Post that her lawyers are considering legal action against Paramount and Fey “to have things be more equitable.” No documents have been filed.

The author was included as a consultant for the original film and is named in the musical’s playbill. She also worked with Fey on producing an educational program for high schoolers that focused on bullying with the musical’s cast, but claims she was never paid.

“For a lot of reasons I didn’t come forward for a while and one of the reasons for all of these years — because I was so focused on me not whining or trying to trash Tina,” Wiseman said. “But also, I believe really strongly when you’re in a position of power and privilege that you have a responsibility to share that to create equity.”

Fey announced a film adaption of the musical for Paramount+, which began filming this month.

Notably, Wiseman isn’t the only one disappointed in the dollars and cents. Multiple outlets reported that the original movie’s core four: Lohan, McAdams, Seyfried, and Chabert, were open to reprising their roles but turned down the opportunity after receiving “disrespectful offers.” The exact offers were not disclosed.

Wiseman said watching Lohan and co. stick together encouraged her to speak out.

“When I read about the actresses supporting each other, I really thought ‘that’s what this movie is about,” she said. “They knew they were stronger together than apart.”

Fey, who is set to reprise her role as Ms. Norbury in the new movie, has not publicly commented on Wiseman’s claims.
Old 03-23-23, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,051 Likes on 754 Posts

I've seen this story about the writer of the Queen Bees book saying Tina Fey owes her money.

Tina Fey is not a lawyer or an accountant. I doubt very much that Tina Fey has barely more than a cursory knowledge of what deal was made to acquire the rights to this book. Did Fey do anything more than realize that she had a story idea based on what this book was talking about, and then direct "her people" and the studio to handle the business?
Old 03-23-23, 11:33 AM

Here's what it says in the musicals program
Spoiler:

I think it's more than just an idea that Tina Fey used. For there to be a full second cottage industry of a successful musical show, tour and second movie eithout Wiseman getting any further compensation certainly seems wrong and unfair even if it is technically legal based on the original contract. She might have better luck suing her own attorneys than suing Fey though. This story is about public pressure to get Fey to do the right thing rather than announcing a true legal strategy.
Old 03-23-23, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm gonna go ahead and express doubt that most of the creative team behind Mean Girls: The Musical has never read Queen Bees and Wannabees, much less carried a copy around with them.

This book is a non-fiction parenting guide. In my opinion, she's lucky Fey gave her any credit at all, or that she any received financial compensation, for hatching the original and ground-breaking idea that teenage girls form cliques and are mean to each other.
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (11-05-23)
Old 03-23-23, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jenna Fischer was talking on her podcast about filming this right now. I am very excited it's going to be on Paramount+ so I don't have to deal with a theater for it.
Old 03-23-23, 03:14 PM

It was a pretty good musical adaptation. Didn't have many memorable songs, but they did a great job adapting it from the film version, keeping all the memorable bits and bringing it up to date in the age of social media.
Old 03-25-23, 07:23 AM

Jon Hamm is joining the Mean Girls Musical in the role of Coach Carr, the resident gym coach and incompetent sex-ed teacher.

The feature adapts the Broadway musical, which is itself an adaptation of the 2004 teen comedy Mean Girls. Mean Girls Musical hails from Paramount, which is planning a Paramount+ debut.

Hamm joins a previously announced cast of Angourie Rice, Auli’i Cravalho, Jaquel Spivey and Reneé Rapp. Rice will be playing Cady, originally played by Lindsey Lohan, with Rapp playing Regina (played by Rachel McAdams in the film). Cravalho will play Janis and Spivey will be Damien, originally played by Lizzy Caplan and Daniel Franzese, respectively. Coach Carr was played by Dwayne Hill in the original film.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...al-1235325805/
Old 09-22-23, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,464 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Moving from Paramount + to theaters (Jan. 12, 2024)

Old 09-22-23, 08:58 PM

So they couldn't bring back Lohan, McAdams, Seyfried and Chabert in cameo parts they were eager to do because they're a low budget streaming movie, then they move it to a theatrical release? Cool, cool.
Old 09-22-23, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Mean Girls: The Musical

So they couldn't bring back Lohan, McAdams, Seyfried and Chabert in cameo parts they were eager to do because they're a low budget streaming movie, then they move it to a theatrical release? Cool, cool.
If any of them really wanted to do a cameo in a low budget streaming movie, they could have done it for scale.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.