Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Old 01-10-22, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I watched King Boxer in the new Arrow Shaw Brothers set. I may have seen it as a kid, but I don't recall. I think I may have the old Dragon Dynasty DVD, but just never watched it. Anyways, it was pretty good. Pretty violent revenge. I had to look it up and saw the lead Lieh Lo passed away about 20 years ago. Granted the movie is 50 years old, so a lot of the main cast and crew is likely deceased.
It was a big hit when Warner Brothers released it in the spring of 1973 as FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH, the first kung fu film to get wide release in an English-dubbed version in the U.S. I saw it at a free preview screening in Times Square the night before its official premiere with a packed crowd that went absolutely nuts. No one in the audience had seen anything like this before. A historic evening. It set off a whole wave of kung fu releases that year, including Bruce Lee's Hong Kong films, one of which I saw in a theater before he died that July.

Old 01-10-22, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts
Re: The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Interesting reading up on that Arrow set. Did they remaster what Celestial Pictures already had? Not sure I'd buy this since I have many of the Celestial discs from when they first started putting them out in Region 3.
Old 01-10-22, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 329 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Interesting reading up on that Arrow set. Did they remaster what Celestial Pictures already had? Not sure I'd buy this since I have many of the Celestial discs from when they first started putting them out in Region 3.
7 of the titles (including the long sought after original version of Chinatown Kid) have new restorations that are far superior to the previous Celestial masters. Even the ones that didn't get new masters are far superior to the original r3 dvds, which suffered from bad pal to ntsc conversions, terribly remixed soundtracks and less than stellar subtitle translations.
The following users liked this post:
devilshalo (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the update.. are these only available as sets, or is Arrow also releasing this individually?
Old 01-11-22, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,386 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Thanks for the update.. are these only available as sets, or is Arrow also releasing this individually?
No it's only available in the $130 box set. A volume 2 will be released later.
Old 01-11-22, 09:06 PM

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,401 Posts

$99.99 at DeepDiscount + 15% off promo WINTER15 ends tomorrow.
https://www.deepdiscount.com/shawsco...e/760137712480
Old 01-14-22, 01:54 PM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

A few of my favorite Asian movies:

Space Sweepers
The Farewell
Parasite
Lady Snowblood
The Raid
Oldboy
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Akira
Long Day's Journey Into Night
Zatoichi Challenged
Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance
Kung Fu Hustle
Rashomon
House
Old 01-14-22, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
$99.99 at DeepDiscount + 15% off promo WINTER15 ends tomorrow.
https://www.deepdiscount.com/shawsco...e/760137712480
Thanks! I ended up getting it but missed out on the 15%. Got 10% off. I guess I can live with Mighty Peking Man. I'll consider all the others upgrades. I'm interested in what might be in the next set.. mainly Water Margin and Five Element Ninjas. I know Water Margin (which had an American title of Seven Blows of the Dragon) had deleted scenes not in the American release. And same with Five Element Ninjas.
Old 01-14-22, 02:26 PM

Vol 2 will (so far) have My Young Auntie, Invincible Shaolin, Magnificent Ruffians, Kid with Golden Arm, Ten Tigers of Kwangtung. 36th Chambers is coming. Not sure if in that set or standalone. Come Drink With Me is getting a US release too.

Also check out the 88 Films thread in HD Talk. They started putting out Region A discs this year… most are Shaw releases.
devilshalo (01-14-22)
Old 01-15-22, 07:45 AM

This was released recently via Mondo Publishing. Looks pretty cool. It is on Amazon, but available cheaper at some other places.
Amazon Amazon

Authors Grady Hendrix and Chris Poggiali along with publisher, Mondo Books, bring you These Fists Break Bricks: How Kung Fu Movies Swept America and Changed the World. New York Times bestselling author, Grady Hendrix, is widely known for his Bram Stoker Award-winning Paperbacks from Hell, a history of the horror paperback boom of the Seventies and Eighties and now, with film historian Chris Poggiali, they tell the story of how kung fu movies came to America.

When a Hollywood studio released Five Fingers of Death to thrill-seeking Times Square moviegoers in 1973, only a handful of Black and Asian audience members knew the difference between an Iron Fist and an Eagle’s Claw. That changed overnight as Five Fingers kicked off a kung fu craze that would earn millions at the box office, send TV ratings soaring, influence the birth of hip hop, reshape the style of action we see in movies today, and introduce America to some of the biggest non-white stars to ever hit motion picture screens.

This lavishly illustrated book tells the story of how these high-kicking, brick-breaking movies came to America and raised hell until greed, infomercials, and racist fearmongering shut them down. It’s about CIA agents secretly funding karate movies, The New York Times fabricating a fear campaign about black “karate gangs” out to kill white people, the history of black martial arts in America, the death of Bruce Lee and the onslaught of imitators that followed. Here for the first time is the full uncensored story.

From the Foreword by RZA of Wu Tang Clan: “In the following pages of These Fists Break Bricks, we will travel down that path of yesterday, where grindhouse theaters and the films they displayed inspired the filmmakers of today and the sound of the world’s most popular music. May this book’s history and the culture it revisits inspire future generations to come.”
Old 01-15-22, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 521 Likes on 406 Posts

Rented Donnie Yen's Raging Fire on BD from the local shop. Will watch it this weekend.
Old 01-15-22, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 91 Posts

My Shawscope set arrived and I chose CHINATOWN KID to be my first watch. It's the long (115-minute) international version, previously available legally only on VHS in an English-dubbed version. This set has it in Cantonese with English subs. It was like seeing (and hearing) it for the first time. A masterpiece.

My only complaint about the set is that they chose to include THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN in this historic first volume. Why not THE CHINESE BOXER or ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN instead?

devilshalo (01-18-22)
Old 01-15-22, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
My only complaint about the set is that they chose to include THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN in this historic first volume. Why not THE CHINESE BOXER or ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN instead?
The Chinese Boxer was recently put out by 88 Films:
Amazon Amazon
It is a dual Region A/B release. The image quality is great.

88 also put out One-Armed Swordsman in the UK. Their edition is OOP now, so it is possible Arrow puts it out.