Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spenser Confidential (2020, D: Peter Berg), S: Mark Wahlberg, Winston Duke, Alan Arkin -- Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spenser Confidential (2020, D: Peter Berg), S: Mark Wahlberg, Winston Duke, Alan Arkin -- Netflix

Old 06-27-18, 08:53 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts
Wonderland (D: Peter Berg) S: Mark Wahlberg -- Netflix

In another huge win for Netflix and its film chief Scott Stuber, the studio has set up an adaptation of Robert Parker’s “Wonderland,” with Mark Wahlberg set to star and Peter Berg to direct.

Neal H. Moritz is producing via his Original Film banner, alongside Wahlberg, Stephen Levinson and Berg via his Film 44 company.

The film is being adapted from “Robert B. Parker’s Wonderland,” written by Ace Atkins. The book is part of the Spenser series — named after a fictional character in a series of detective novels initially written by the American mystery writer Robert B. Parker and later by Ace Atkins.

The story follows Spenser who, fresh out of prison, is sucked back into Boston’s underbelly as he uncovers the truth about a sensational murder and the twisted conspiracy behind it.

Parker’s Spenser character has been the basis for 48 novels, all New York Times bestsellers.

Sean O’Keefe is adapting the script. Toby Ascher will executive produce alongside Film 44’s John Logan Pierson.

When Stuber was hired as the head of film at Netflix, one of his biggest goals was to use his resources as a mega-producer to attract A-list talent to the streaming service and he has done exactly that.

The announcement comes on the heels of Netflix’s teaming with Skydance on Michael Bay’s $100 million tentpole “Six Underground” with Ryan Reynolds set to star. Though “Wonderland” is not expected to be on the scale of “Six Underground,” the talent attached is sending a message to the industry that Netflix is ready and willing to tackle these major productions with A-list talent.

As for Wahlberg, sources had told Variety that the star was looking for something to fill his fall slot after his Warner Bros. pic “Six Billion Dollar Man” was pushed due to the loss of its director. Wahlberg had been weighing several projects — there was even a rumor Berg may come on to direct “Six Billion Dollar Man.”

In the end, “Wonderland” won the pair’s commitment and will mark the fifth time the two have worked together. Previous pics include “Lone Survivor,” “Patriot’s Day,” “Deepwater Horizon,” and the upcoming “Mile 22,” which opens in August.

The estate of Robert B. Parker was represented in negotiations by Mary Alice Kier and Anna Cottle of Cine/Lit Representation. Wahlberg is represented by WME, Leverage Management and Sloane Offer and Berg is repped by WME and Hirsch Wallerstein.

O’Keefe is repped by ICM Partners, Brian Lutz Management and Bloom Hergott.
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/m...nd-1202857871/
Old 06-27-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Wonderland (D: Peter Berg) S: Mark Wahlberg -- Netflix

So Walhberg as Spenser?
Old 10-02-18, 06:46 PM

Black Panther star Winston Duke has joined Mark Wahlberg in the Netflix movie Wonderland, an adaptation from Robert B. Parker's detective novel series, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

The casting follows Duke, whose scene-stealing work in Black Panther earned him breakout status, closing a deal to also star in Heroine, an action thriller from Paramount Players. Daniel Casey, who penned the recent grounded sci-fi movie Kin, is set to direct the project, which he also wrote.

The story for Wonderland comes from the New York Times best-selling Spenser book series and follows a man fresh out of prison who is sucked back into Boston’s underbelly while he uncovers the truth about a sensational murder. Duke will play Spenser's close friend.

Sean O’Keefe penned the screenplay, and Peter Berg will direct. Neal H. Moritz will produce via his Original Film banner, alongside Wahlberg, Stephen Levinson and Berg under his Film 44 shingle.

Toby Ascher is executive producing alongside Film 44’s John Logan Pierson.

Wonderland will be the fifth feature for Wahlberg and Berg, whose joint credits include Lone Survivor, Deepwater Horizon, Patriots Day and Mile 22.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...cebook_2018102
Old 10-02-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Another shitshow from Berg and Wahlberg? Oh boy...
Old 10-02-18, 09:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

They really need to start spending some time apart. And Berg just needs to take a very long break from directing.
Old 01-20-20, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

When two Boston Police officers are murdered, ex-cop Spenser (Mark Wahlberg) teams up with his no-nonsense roommate, Hawk (Winston Duke), to take down criminals in this action-comedy. Spenser (Mark Wahlberg) — an ex-cop better known for making trouble than solving it — just got out of prison and is leaving Boston for good. But first he gets roped into helping his old boxing coach and mentor, Henry (Alan Arkin), with a promising amateur. That's Hawk (Winston Duke), a brash, no-nonsense MMA fighter convinced he'll be a tougher opponent than Spenser ever was. When two of Spenser’s former colleagues turn up murdered, he recruits Hawk and his foul-mouthed ex-girlfriend, Cissy (Iliza Shlesinger), to help him investigate and bring the culprits to justice. From director Peter Berg, SPENSER CONFIDENTIAL is an action-comedy co-starring Bokeem Woodbine, Marc Maron, and Post Malone. Inspired by Robert B. Parker’s Wonderland, a best-selling novel by Ace Atkins.

Comes out March 6th
Old 01-20-20, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
Re: Spenser Confidential (2020, D: Peter Berg), S: Mark Wahlberg, Winston Duke, Alan Arkin -- Netflix

Looks decent to me , my favorite Berg movie is still Very Bad Things
Old 01-20-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
Re: Spenser Confidential (2020, D: Peter Berg), S: Mark Wahlberg, Winston Duke, Alan Arkin -- Netflix

Screw it, I’ll watch it.

Lone Survivor and Patriots Days we’re both very good. Mile 22 was shit though.

I’ve also got a crush for Iliza Schlesinger so I’ll watch regardless.
Old 01-20-20, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

It doesn't look bad for an action-comedy. Looks like something to watch on a Saturday.
Old 03-04-20, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Comes out this Friday. I am just trying to figure out why they changed Spenser's backstory as a cop to a ex-con. Apparently aside from the same names, none of the character's backstories bear any semblance to the Robert B Parker's novels. Was there legal issues or some reason for this?
Old 03-04-20, 12:19 PM
Banned by request

I saw that Iliza Schlesinger is in this, so i'm all in.

Old 03-04-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Iliza is hot for sure. She does have leaks out there for this inclined to look for them.
Old 03-04-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

I just realized now (it flew totally over my head) that these are the same characters from the old ABC TV show Spenser for Hire.
Old 03-04-20, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Comes out this Friday. I am just trying to figure out why they changed Spenser's backstory as a cop to a ex-con. Apparently aside from the same names, none of the character's backstories bear any semblance to the Robert B Parker's novels. Was there legal issues or some reason for this?
It doesn't even resemble the Robert Urich /Avery Brooks series or the various TV movies, which took their own liberties. I don't know if Ace Atkins, -who took over the series after Parker's death, -did anything different with the characters. Perhaps it started out as a adaptation and various scriptwriters changed things to suit the director or the talent. I'll still give it a shot, but my loyalty to the books, -which I admit I haven't read since the '90s, -will probably have me flinching.
Old 03-04-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

So we take a character who can quote Chaucer from memory, is an expert cook, has a long-term relationship with a brilliant psychologist . . . and make him an idiot ex-con? What I like about the Spenser books is that he's smart.

This looks like Starsky and Hutch.
Old 03-04-20, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DWilson
It doesn't even resemble the Robert Urich /Avery Brooks series or the various TV movies, which took their own liberties. I don't know if Ace Atkins, -who took over the series after Parker's death, -did anything different with the characters. Perhaps it started out as a adaptation and various scriptwriters changed things to suit the director or the talent. I'll still give it a shot, but my loyalty to the books, -which I admit I haven't read since the '90s, -will probably have me flinching.
I have read the Ace Atkins books and aside from updating minor things due to the current time period, the characters remain the same and firmly rooted in Parkers orgiinal characterizations.

This movie is a complete departure of all previous incarnations in the book or tv series/movies. I am at a loss as to why. I mean you take a guy who is extremely intelligent, basically cooks on a pro chef level, was a pretty successful pro boxer who fought for a title at one point, then was a highly respected state trooper to the point where some cops and DAs would contact him for help even after he left the force and reduced him to a criminal? Maybe it is all a swerve and they just left things out of the trailer but I don't think so based on the wikipedia entry.

Who knows. Maybe it will still be fun much like the Reacher movies which bear little resemblance to the book but I enjoyed them as long as I could separate the two in my head.
Old 03-04-20, 08:36 PM
Banned by request

And the Mission Impossible movies. Only connection is the name of the main character at this point.
Old 03-06-20, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Just watched the trailer. Maybe a decent way to kill a few hours.
Old 03-06-20, 10:38 AM

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spenser_confidential
Old 03-06-20, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Horrible reviews from the "top" critics. Is this playing near anyone in this forum? It's nowhere near me...I might have seen it. Is it getting a wide release later this month?
No. It's a straight to Netflix movie.
Old 03-06-20, 04:05 PM
Banned by request

So in a sense, it has opened pretty much near everyone.
Old 03-06-20, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Horrible reviews from the "top" critics. Is this playing near anyone in this forum? It's nowhere near me...I might have seen it. Is it getting a wide release later this month?
Wasn't the trailer a clear sign this was a Netflix movie? Same goes with the thread title?
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-09-20)
Old 03-06-20, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wasn't the trailer a clear sign this was a Netflix movie? Same goes with the thread title?
Missed the thread title, just jumped to the last post. Honestly had no idea this one was direct to Netflix, but thanks everyone!
Old 03-06-20, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
I saw that Iliza Schlesinger is in this, so i'm all in.

She has the looks but she is annoying as F
Old 03-06-20, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

It's okay but the ending is a little too tidy and, of course, opens it up for a sequel.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.