Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Awards that were the last straw for you

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-20-20, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 106 Likes on 96 Posts

Question for those of you who at one time took the Academy Awards seriously but no longer do: was there a particular award or nomination that made throw up your hands and turn your back on them for good? Example: Best Picture Award going to Driving Miss Daisy instead of Dead Poets Society, Field of Dreams, Born on the 4th of July, or My Left Foot.

And it doesn't have to be the Oscars. If you were once a big fan of the Golden Globes, BAFTAs, or the MTV Movie Awards but aren't any longer, feel free to chime in.
Old 01-20-20, 11:09 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Awards that were the last straw for you

I’ve taken them less and less seriously over the years, but there really isn’t one single moment that did it. Just a slow erosion of interest.

For me personally, I’ve grown into adulthood and gained confidence in my opinions about art. When I was 15 I needed the validation of the academy awards to confirm my good taste. Eventually I grew to realize I had better taste and that many of their anointed films were shit.

Also, one of the first leaks in the dam was when the documentary category was exposed as being fixed.

tldr; Crash
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-20-20)
Old 01-20-20, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 306 Likes on 217 Posts

Yeah, Crash winning seemed to coincide with me not being interested in Oscar nominations anymore.
IBJoel (01-20-20)
Old 01-20-20, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Yeah, Crash over Broke back was very dispiriting. Though I consider that as a win for homophobia rather than bad taste. I felt like the gay theme was too big a hurdle that the Academy wasn't ready to clear yet, just like they weren't ready to anoint a foreign language film from Netflix last year. They got over the gay thing a couple of years ago for Moonlight and might get over the foreign language or Netflix hurdle this year.
The Kings Speech over Social Network was just a bad decision - all awards are subjective but I just don't know how one concludes that a period piece about speech therapy was a better movie than Fincher's modern masterpiece. Certainly Social Network holds up better a decade later. Fincher remains Oscar-less while the Oscar winning director of The King's Speech gave us Cats in 2019.

Last edited by Decker; 01-20-20 at 11:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
bunkaroo (01-20-20), IBJoel (01-20-20)
Old 01-20-20, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Received 697 Likes on 421 Posts

I don't think I've ever completely lost faith in them. An Oscar can really help out someone's career and is still an important marker for many people who are normally underrepresented. And one year might break me and then the next year I think they get it right. I've never taken the Globes seriously and don't follow the BAFTAs. But blowing the Best Picture nominees for 2008 (The Reader, but no The Dark Knight or The Wrestler) and The Hurt Locker (which I actually like) winning 2009 over the much more technically impressive Avatar or more well-rounded Inglourious Basterds were rough. Moonlight winning was a major swing in the right direction for me, but then Green Book winning while If Beale Street Could Talk wasn't nominated for Best Picture (and barely nominated at all) and the discussion of a "Popular Film" category might have done me in for good.
Old 01-20-20, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dead Poets Society is every bit as insufferable as Driving Miss Daisy.

Also, with a different set of films each year and an ever changing membership, there's no guarantee they will make the same mistakes.

I was sincerely angry when The Social Network lost, but does that make The King's Speech a bad movie? Of course not.
Old 01-20-20, 11:37 AM
Banned

I’ve tried so hard to put Green Book out of my mind that I forgot about it. That really should be a deal breaker for a lot of people. That movie is guilty of what I consider the biggest sin of all in Hollywood: Blowing a killer premise. The story of the Green Book itself is an amazing story. They didn’t tell that story.
IBJoel (01-20-20)
Old 01-20-20, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
Dead Poets Society is every bit as insufferable as Driving Miss Daisy.
Amen. That is Peter Weirís single worst film. Robin Williams is completely out of place.
Old 01-20-20, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

They're Academy Awards. Why would I get that emotionally invested in them?
Trevor (01-20-20)
Old 01-20-20, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,331 Posts

Iíd say the Weinsteinís paying for their awards every year in the late 90s had something to do with the Academyís increasing lack of credibility.

The more I learn about studiosí paying for the awards lessens in for me. I wish I didnít know what happens behind the scenes at these award shows. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I do still watch every year and do my best to check out as many films nominated as possible. The awards themselves donít mean as much to me as they used to though.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
IBJoel (01-20-20), JeremyM (01-20-20)
Old 01-20-20, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't know if I ever took the AA's seriously. The first one I ever watched was in 1991, Dances With Wolves winning over Goodfellas. What excited me about the ceremony was being reminded of all the movies I'd seen/heard of over the last year. It was sort of a like a graduation ceremony. Later, I viewed it as wrestling, where it was a lot of fun to root for your favourite, and even when "bad" movies won, booing them was part of the fun.

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I consider that as a win for homophobia rather than bad taste. I felt like the gay theme was too big a hurdle that the Academy wasn't ready to clear yet.
If the gay theme was too big a hurdle for the academy, why did they nominate it in nearly every category to begin with (it also won Best Director and Best Screenplay)? Funny that gay theme wasn't too big a hurdle for the academy back in 1969 when Midnight Cowboy won best picture.
Old 01-20-20, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 574 Posts

They're awards that are voted on, there's no real measure to any of it and the best doesn't always win for a lot of reasons. Then again, I'm one of those people that felt Marisa Tomei wholly deserved her Oscar for My Cousin Vinny.
Old 01-20-20, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post

If the gay theme was too big a hurdle for the academy, why did they nominate it in nearly every category to begin with (it also won Best Director and Best Screenplay)? Funny that gay theme wasn't too big a hurdle for the academy back in 1969 when Midnight Cowboy won best picture.
Midnight Cowboy isn't a gay love story though. It's really a friendship story. The main character is a gigolo doing what he has to do to survive, so it's different than a husband living a double life. Not saying one is okay and the other isn't, obviously. Just that the Academy wasn't ready to award the biggest prize to the gay romance movie despite all the other wins (including Best Director) and the general consensus that it really was the best movie that year.
Old 01-20-20, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Never took them seriously or cared but the fact that Julia Roberts has an Oscar is laughable. She won for wearing a pushup bra over the deserving Ellen Burstyn for Requiem For A Dream. I stopped watching the Oscars after that.
Old 01-20-20, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Grammys: Jethro Tull winning the award for Best Heavy Metal group over Metallica.
IBJoel (01-20-20)
Old 01-20-20, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 229 Likes on 179 Posts

I was fine with Crash (I don't think it should have won, but I had no problem with the movie itself). What really annoyed me was when Alan Arkin won for Little Miss Sunshine over Eddie Murphy in Dreamgirls. That was highway robbery.
Old 01-20-20, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts

I dislike the Golden Globes, but not for a movie-related issue. My issue was with the 2002 TV-related awards.

Kiefer Sutherland won best TV drama actor for 24. You would think I would love that, since Iím a huge 24 fan. Problem is, 24 aired less than half of season one when the nominations were announced. Even worse, the whole season wasnít written or filmed at that time, so itís not like they had access to the rest of the season before the general TV audience.

24 itself was nominated for Best TV Drama, but lost. Why was it nominated in the first place? I have no idea.

So the Golden Globes are a joke to me.
Old 01-20-20, 05:30 PM

Well, for consideration for the Globes, the show had to air, at least in part, before the end of the calendar year. It's not the Emmys, and it's not nearly as prestigious. That said, they have given boosts to struggling new shows, so I am fine with early wins for shows like that.

However the Globes ARE a joke because it's a voting body of 90 people, and those 90 can be easily influenced. Case in point :

Old 01-20-20, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Just that the Academy wasn't ready to award the biggest prize to the gay romance movie despite all the other wins (including Best Director) and the general consensus that it really was the best movie that year.
So why do you think the academy picked it as one of the five best films of the year if they were uncomfortable with a gay relationship? Wouldn't they just have ignored it, instead of giving it more nominations than any other movie that year?
Old 01-20-20, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,046 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Iíve taken them less and less seriously over the years, but there really isnít one single moment that did it. Just a slow erosion of interest.

For me personally, Iíve grown into adulthood and gained confidence in my opinions about art. When I was 15 I needed the validation of the academy awards to confirm my good taste. Eventually I grew to realize I had better taste and that many of their anointed films were shit.
Yeah, as a kid I was always mad Star Wars and Star Trek didn't win anything, then I got older and realized the awards for "serious" movies so I didn't bother with them, then I got even older and realized scifi stuff should have at least been winning technical or costuming awards, instead they went to period dramas for perfectly recreating 17th century France or something. That's not to disparage the work done in making the outfits, but for me, the creativity shown in costumes, alien designs, ship designs, etc, should count for more since period dramas all start to look alike after a while.

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

Also, one of the first leaks in the dam was when the documentary category was exposed as being fixed.
Oh?
Old 01-20-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
I dislike the Golden Globes, but not for a movie-related issue. My issue was with the 2002 TV-related awards.

Kiefer Sutherland won best TV drama actor for 24. You would think I would love that, since Iím a huge 24 fan. Problem is, 24 aired less than half of season one when the nominations were announced. Even worse, the whole season wasnít written or filmed at that time, so itís not like they had access to the rest of the season before the general TV audience.

24 itself was nominated for Best TV Drama, but lost. Why was it nominated in the first place? I have no idea.

So the Golden Globes are a joke to me.
Globes are only based on 6 episodes. They don't expect anyone to watch the full 22 - 26 episodes. 24 had 12 produced before the season started if I remember correctly.

Not defending them or judging your distaste, but just as an FYI.
Old 01-20-20, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
So why do you think the academy picked it as one of the five best films of the year if they were uncomfortable with a gay relationship? Wouldn't they just have ignored it, instead of giving it more nominations than any other movie that year?
Why was it nominated? Because it was CLEARLY the most acclaimed movie of the year. It won the Golden Globe, the BAFTA, the PGA Award, the AFI Movie of the Year, the WGA award and the DGA award. It had a LOT of support in the Academy, was nominated for 8 Oscars and won 3.
Don't really know what you are getting at Crocker. If you think I am wrong about why it lost to Crash (which had won almost nothing besides the SAG Award), I am happy to hear your alternative explanation. Most people consider Crash the most undeserving winner of the past quarter-century.
Old 01-20-20, 06:14 PM

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Gladiator getting nominated the winning Best Picture. That was a wtf year. I still care about them if only because of all the good movies getting released and/or nominated for the “Oscar season.” But like others have mentioned, who wins isn’t important anymore.
Old 01-20-20, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Globes are only based on 6 episodes. They don't expect anyone to watch the full 22 - 26 episodes. 24 had 12 produced before the season started if I remember correctly.

Not defending them or judging your distaste, but just as an FYI.
thanks for the info, and now makes more sense why I think itís not a good award.
Old 01-20-20, 06:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

IMO

When The Color Purple was shut out I realized something wasn't right.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.