Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Awards that were the last straw for you

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Awards that were the last straw for you

Old 01-20-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts
Re: Awards that were the last straw for you

Originally Posted by Brack
Gladiator getting nominated the winning Best Picture. That was a wtf year.
Was there a huge oversight that year? I mean Gladiator wasn't a traditional BP winner and not my favorite, but it was an extremely successful, well-made, well-acted movie.
The other nominees were
Chocolat
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Erin Brockovich
Traffic

I mean I think Traffic and Crouching Tiger were better, but that was hardly an egregious win given the competition in 2000.
Old 01-20-20, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

It was not the last straw but Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas and Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction was not right,
Old 01-20-20, 07:04 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Was there a huge oversight that year? I mean Gladiator wasn't a traditional BP winner and not my favorite, but it was an extremely successful, well-made, well-acted movie.
The other nominees were
Chocolat
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Erin Brockovich
Traffic

I mean I think Traffic and Crouching Tiger were better, but that was hardly an egregious win given the competition in 2000.
Successful, sure.

I hate the movie. I don’t think it’s well acted. It’s easily the most annoying Joaquin Phoenix role ever. It’s an incredibly dull movie. Never liked it.
Old 01-20-20, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,821 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Yeah, as a kid I was always mad Star Wars and Star Trek didn't win anything, then I got older and realized the awards for "serious" movies so I didn't bother with them, then I got even older and realized scifi stuff should have at least been winning technical or costuming awards, instead they went to period dramas for perfectly recreating 17th century France or something. That's not to disparage the work done in making the outfits, but for me, the creativity shown in costumes, alien designs, ship designs, etc, should count for more since period dramas all start to look alike after a while.

Oh?
To be fair, Star Wars did win 7 academy awards, they were just all technical ones.
Old 01-20-20, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Dead Poets Society is every bit as insufferable as Driving Miss Daisy.
Originally Posted by Mabuse
Amen. That is Peter Weir’s single worst film. Robin Williams is completely out of place.
​​​
Old 01-20-20, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't bother with them anymore. I could name a bunch, but I'll name a couple off the top of my head

Forrest Gump beating Pulp Fiction for best picture
Ron Howard beating David Lynch for best director
Driving Miss Daisy beating Do the Right Thing for best picture

Old 01-20-20, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I don't bother with them anymore. I could name a bunch, but I'll name a couple off the top of my head

Forrest Gump beating Pulp Fiction for best picture
Ron Howard beating David Lynch for best director
Old 01-20-20, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

It is unthinkable that happened

Maybe the golden age of hollywood actors and actress were filling out the ballots then.
Old 01-20-20, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
The fact that Do the Right Thing wasn’t even in the running for the Best Pic Oscar is the very definition of mind-boggling.
Old 01-20-20, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
Question for those of you who at one time took the Academy Awards seriously but no longer do: was there a particular award or nomination that made throw up your hands and turn your back on them for good? Example: Best Picture Award going to Driving Miss Daisy instead of Dead Poets Society, Field of Dreams, Born on the 4th of July, or My Left Foot.

And it doesn't have to be the Oscars. If you were once a big fan of the Golden Globes, BAFTAs, or the MTV Movie Awards but aren't any longer, feel free to chime in.
Gladiator beating out Crouching Tiger and Traffic. Traffic should have won. Gladiator was a typical action movie. The excuse was that Ridley Scott resurrected the Grecco-Roman epic? It just seemed like a very cliched story, and nothing really stood out. As problematic as 300 was, I think that was a superior film in that sub-genre.

Mystic River shouldn't have even been nominated. I thought Unforgiven was pretty lame. Just Eastwood indulging in 90s extreme violence. I didn't that much different from Eastwood's spaghetti westerns.
I think Do the Right Thing is overrated but I think it's a more important film than Field of Dreams. I'm surprised Malcolm X wasn't nominated for best picture. For being a very Hollywood interpretation of Malcolm X I thought it was nearly perfect from start to finish. I just wish Spike Lee didn't put himself in the movie.

The following users liked this post:
Brack (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Don't really know what you are getting at Crocker. If you think I am wrong about why it lost to Crash (which had won almost nothing besides the SAG Award), I am happy to hear your alternative explanation. Most people consider Crash the most undeserving winner of the past quarter-century.
I feel like I've been pretty clear what I'm getting at. You said the academy didn't award Brokeback Mountain because of homophobia. I don't think that makes sense. If they didn't approve of the movie, they wouldn't have nominated it.

So I'm asking why you think it didn't win for that reason. Is it just a gut feeling?
Old 01-21-20, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

The show stopping song "This is Me" is beaten by the forgettable "Remember Me" was the last straw for me. Seriously, was there a time when we could ever take the Oscars seriously? Citizen Kane lost to How Green Was My Valley. Kubrick, Hitchcock and Fellini (among others) never won Best Director. Cher won an Oscar! Fucking Cher! It's hard to get wrapped up in this farce every year.
Brack (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

The winners and losers have never pushed me away from watching. The thing that I imagine will eventually push me away is the outrage culture over diversity and the people who get on their "look at me" soapbox during acceptance speeches.
Old 01-21-20, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I used to love the Oscars for the opening monologues, the appearances of legendary actors and thats about it. The actual winning was never important to me. I knew that at the end of the day the movies i liked over the course of the year probably would not win, and it took nothing away from them for me. In fact, i felt better about it at times as i see all these Award Shows as pretentious (yes that word) back slapping and chances for whiny bores to get up on their soap box and preach to us. Over the years i have lost interest as the legendary actors have dwindled to such an extent that very few turn up who i want to see (Nicholson hasnt been for years for health reasons by the sounds of it) and the presenters and jokes have been incredibly weak. The last time i actually watched i guess the thing that really made me think "Never Again" was Frances McDormand giving that speech where she showed how batshit crazy she is. She can stuff her Inclusion Rider where the sun don't shine. I have always hated her as an actress and cannot believe she has won two Oscars (Both for movies that i loathe).
Old 01-21-20, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

It wasn't a single straw, and it was long time ago. In the mid 1990s, I realized that the best way to win an Oscar was to play someone disabled. It got to be ridiculous.

Geoffrey Rush, Shine
Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump
Al Pacino, Scent of a Woman
Dustin Hoffman, Rain Man
Daniel Day Lewis, My Left Foot
Holly Hunter, The Piano
Marlee Matlin, Children of a Lesser God

That doesn't include dying of an incurable disease: Tom Hanks, Philadelphia.
Old 01-21-20, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I feel like I've been pretty clear what I'm getting at. You said the academy didn't award Brokeback Mountain because of homophobia. I don't think that makes sense. If they didn't approve of the movie, they wouldn't have nominated it.

So I'm asking why you think it didn't win for that reason. Is it just a gut feeling?
You seriously can't be this dense. It takes more support to win that to get nominated, easier to pick a film as one of the five best than to pick it as your favorite. There was a lot of support for Brokeback Mountain, enough to get it eight nominations and three wins, just not enough to win Best Picture.
Every year films have enough support to get nominated but not enough to win. Brokeback had LOTS of support, but as it turned out, not as much as Crash.

If you would like some articles to suggest the homophobia of the old white male voting block, here you go

Of course, quality has seldom mattered when it comes to the Oscars. The awards are chosen based on a number of mitigating factors, from industry connections to subject matter to contemporary political issues and much more. Crash, which did have its fair share of critical acclaim, was a blunter and more easy to digest film for some Academy members. Its take on racial tensions in Los Angeles was tailored more towards pleasing white audiences, and the Academy, even today, remains heavily white. It was a film full of notable actors, which probably encouraged a lot of votes from other actors, who make up the largest demographic of the Academy. Moreover, Crash felt “safe” in a way Brokeback Mountain was not. Kenneth Turan of the Los Angeles Times suggested that Crash benefitted from the Academy's ingrained homophobia. Even at its most progressive, they just weren’t ready to celebrate a film like Brokeback Mountain. For many, it felt like a rejection of progress and cemented the Academy’s status as an out-of-date institution, a problem it’s still fighting with today. In the Academy's preferential voting system, that means the amenable Crash won out.
Conventional wisdom at the time said that director Ang Lee’s Western about two men and their tortured, unfulfilled love was destined to win. For proof, watch the YouTube clip of Oscar presenter and unflappable man Jack Nicholson decidedly flap after he reads the name of the upset winner.What’s undeniable is that in early 2006, more people in a nearly 6,000-member voting body thought that Crash was the superior film. And while Brokeback was weaving through the zeitgeist, Crash was not without its own supporters. In October 2005, Oprah Winfrey invited the cast onto her show after she had shared the story of her own “Crash moment,” when an Hermès clerk in Paris reportedly denied her entrance to the store. That December, Roger Ebert named it the best movie of the year. (Brokeback was his No. 5 pick.) Then, after the Screen Actors Guild nominated Crashfor best ensemble, Lionsgate sent consumer DVDs to every SAG member. The strategy worked: Crash won, beating Brokeback. “The one thing I saw was that actors seemed to be on our side,” says Crash producer Cathy Schulman. “SAG had gone well, and it was clear that the acting community was really pushing for us.”

Ossana, who also served as a producer on Brokeback, saw other signs of shifting winds in the race that suggested members just weren’t seeing her movie. Two weeks before the Oscars, Crash director Paul Haggis hosted a party for nominees. When Ossana discovered that Clint Eastwood, the director of Unforgiven — one of her favorite movies — was in attendance, Haggis offered to introduce her. But on the way over to the Western icon, Haggis stopped. There was something Ossana should know: Eastwood hadn’t seen Brokeback. “It was like someone punched me in the stomach,” Ossana says. “You would think being a filmmaker, you would want to see every film. It’s what you do. The fact that he hadn’t seen it, it was kind of like, ‘I see.'” (When asked to confirm Ossana’s story, Eastwood did not respond.)
The conventional wisdom was that Academy members weren't quite ready to bestow their highest honor upon a movie featuring a man-on-man-in-pup-tent love scene. In an attempt to right the wrongs of Oscar history, THR mounted a recount in 2015, polling hundreds of Academy members on a number of disputed decisions. That time, Brokeback won in a landslide.
Did the Hollywood-centric themes of race and isolation in Crash, along with a cast stocked with likable actors and actresses such as Matt Dillon and Sandra Bullock, cause Los Angeles-dwelling Academy members to favor the movie?” SFGate questioned immediately following the win. “Did the almost unending media drumbeat for Brokeback Mountain cause the film to peak in Academy voting-member popularity too early, a scenario exactly opposite that of 2005 winner Million Dollar Baby, which quietly slipped into theaters in December and benefited from a concentrated barrage of last-minute hype? — Or is Hollywood really not as liberal as the right-wingers make it out to be, but instead filled with aging Academy voters who just weren’t ready to support a love story about two gay men?” Said love story famously featured Jake Gyllenhaal as Jack Twist and the late Heath Ledger as Ennis Del Mar. Then still a boundary-pushing movie despite the recent year, Brokeback made headlines for its sex scene and its deep portrayal of an intimate same-sex relationship. “Sometimes you win by losing, and nothing has proved what a powerful, taboo-breaking, necessary film Brokeback Mountain was more than its loss Sunday night to Crash in the Oscar best picture category,” wrote the Los Angeles Times at the time. “Despite all the magazine covers it graced, despite all the red-state theaters it made good money in, despite (or maybe because of) all the jokes late-night talk show hosts made about it, you could not take the pulse of the industry without realizing that this film made a number of people distinctly uncomfortable… In the privacy of the voting booth, as many political candidates who’ve led in polls only to lose elections have found out, people are free to act out the unspoken fears and unconscious prejudices that they would never breathe to another soul, or, likely, acknowledge to themselves. And at least this year, that acting out doomed Brokeback Mountain.”
Seriously, do a Google search of "Brokeback vs Crash". There are dozens of articles over the past dozen years. Every single one mentions homophobia in some capacity as a possible or likely reason.

Last edited by Decker; 01-21-20 at 10:52 AM.
IBJoel (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
The fact that Do the Right Thing wasn’t even in the running for the Best Pic Oscar is the very definition of mind-boggling.
Holy shit, woops! Even worse that DTRT wasn't even nominated for best picture.

Born On the Fourth of July was nominated for Best Picture, that was way better than Driving Miss Daisy.
Why So Blu? (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
It wasn't a single straw, and it was long time ago. In the mid 1990s, I realized that the best way to win an Oscar was to play someone disabled. It got to be ridiculous.

Geoffrey Rush, Shine
Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump
Al Pacino, Scent of a Woman
Dustin Hoffman, Rain Man
Daniel Day Lewis, My Left Foot
Holly Hunter, The Piano
Marlee Matlin, Children of a Lesser God

She is deaf. Would have been much harder for her to play a non-disabled character.
Old 01-21-20, 11:17 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

You seriously can't be this dense. It takes more support to win that to get nominated, easier to pick a film as one of the five best than to pick it as your favorite. There was a lot of support for Brokeback Mountain, enough to get it eight nominations and three wins, just not enough to win Best Picture.
Every year films have enough support to get nominated but not enough to win. Brokeback had LOTS of support, but as it turned out, not as much as Crash.

If you would like some articles to suggest the homophobia of the old white male voting block, here you go

Seriously, do a Google search of "Brokeback vs Crash". There are dozens of articles over the past dozen years. Every single one mentions homophobia in some capacity as a possible or likely reason.
Also, I seem to recall that there were some old timers on the academy that were forthright about not watching Brokeback. Maybe it was Mickey Rooney I cant recall.
Old 01-21-20, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Also, I seem to recall that there were some old timers on the academy that were forthright about not watching Brokeback. Maybe it was Mickey Rooney I cant recall.
Yeah. Ernest Borgnine. It was in one of the articles I had found.
Old 01-21-20, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nick Danger

Dustin Hoffman, Rain Man

Funny thing about those 2 films is that IMO the co-leads Tom Cruise (Rain Man) & Denzel Washington (Philadelphia) should have been the ones nominated.
For me their performances were better.
Old 01-21-20, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

As a teen, Rocky winning Best Picture over Taxi Driver, Network & All The President's Men was the wake-up call to me that the awards were not to be taken seriously. There were awards given since then that were even worst choices but that was the one that opened my eyes.
Old 01-21-20, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You seriously can't be this dense.
Thanks for finally backing up your opinion, even if I don't find articles citing vague "conventional wisdom" and speculation convincing that Brokeback Mountain was done dirty, I appreciate knowing your point of view. Given the amount of adoration the academy bestowed on the film, as well as the largest voting branch of actors demonstrating they were behind Crash, I honestly don't see Brokeback Mountain failing to win Best Picture for reasons any more nefarious than other times a rarefied movie failed to win (such as 2001, Raging Bull, Apocalypse Now, Fargo). If that makes me dense, so be it .
Old 01-21-20, 04:13 PM

I really should have said "obtuse". Dense has a connotation of ignorance that I regret using. Was early in the morning and I wasn't fully "with it" yet.
I regret that phrasing and offer my apologies for the wording, Crocker.
Old 01-21-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks! It's funny you meant "obtuse", because after reading your post I was thinking about the scene in Shawshank Redemption when Andy finally gets fed up with the warden and says, "How can you be so obtuse?"

Yes, I can say now some voter's having a problem with homosexuality "sullying" the macho image of the cowboy is why they didn't vote/refused to watch Brokeback Mountain. I (presumably unfairly?) read your comment as being the sole reason why it didn't win Best Picture.

It's unquestionably a great movie (one thing that strikes me is how it stands outside the time period it was made in, were it not for my familiarity with the actors, if someone told me it was made in 70s, or the 80's, or the 90's, I would believe them). I first saw it when I was living in Regina, Saskatchewan, and as the audience filed out afterwards, I realized I was the only man there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.