Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam (2022, D: David O. Russell) -- S: Bale, Robbie, Washington, De Niro, Taylor-Joy, Swift

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Amsterdam (2022, D: David O. Russell) -- S: Bale, Robbie, Washington, De Niro, Taylor-Joy, Swift

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-22, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts
Re: Amsterdam (2022, D: David O. Russell) -- S: Bale, Robbie, Washington, De Niro, Taylor-Joy, Swift

"Ouch" is all I got after reading that review.
Old 10-13-22, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Amsterdam (2022, D: David O. Russell) -- S: Bale, Robbie, Washington, De Niro, Taylor-Joy, Swift

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Ouch! This showed up in my Facebook newsfeed. I couldn't agree more with her comments on John David Washington. I've been saying this about him for the past few years. I will watch this film btw when it's streaming for free.

https://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/...F6v9Ou09jOQSvE
I got into it with some folks on Twitter several weeks ago about this film, and how Washington keeps getting cast in all these big roles with important directors.

I have never thought he was very good as an actor, and sometimes it’s noticeably bad.

He sounds like Denzel. And that’s it. He’s a bad actor, plain and simple
The following users liked this post:
Daytripper (10-26-22)
Old 10-14-22, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Sucks it bombs and now there will be less adult movies in theaters and more comic book and CGI kids movies
Old 10-14-22, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Naw I don't think it will make a difference and has not before.
Old 10-14-22, 09:05 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Sucks it bombs and now there will be less adult movies in theaters and more comic book and CGI kids movies
You don't even go to the theatre.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (10-14-22)
Old 10-14-22, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Dear Hollywood,

Make a movie that’s worth a damn and people will show up to watch it.

Sincerely,
Top Gun: Maverick
Old 10-14-22, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Old 10-26-22, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This should be streaming soon or PVOD I would guess.
Old 10-26-22, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I got into it with some folks on Twitter several weeks ago about this film, and how Washington keeps getting cast in all these big roles with important directors.

I have never thought he was very good as an actor, and sometimes it’s noticeably bad.

He sounds like Denzel. And that’s it. He’s a bad actor, plain and simple
Yes, he's simply awful. I've seen 2x4's less wooden.
Old 11-22-22, 10:49 PM

Will be on HBO Max December 6th.
Old 12-09-22, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I actually rather enjoyed this movie....for about 20 minutes. After a somewhat flat-footed beginning, the movie flashbacks to how Bale, Robbie (who has never looked better) and Washington's characters first meet and later settle down in Amsterdam where they form a kind of Jules and Jim style relationship that managed to really draw me into the narrative. Had the movie stuck to following these three characters and their personal lives it could have made for quite an entertaining film.

Unfortunately, once the story returns to the present, we are stuck with the slow unwinding of a conspiracy plot that is so uninvolving and devoid of any tension or sense of danger that it completely sinks the rest of the movie. Russell tries hard to make the plot relevant to our current political and social climate, but the messaging is so heavy handed and the pacing is so glacial with so many uninteresting supporting characters (though Anya Taylor-Joy is a welcome sight, as always) that I was begging the movie to wrap things up with about half an hour left. At 90 minutes long, Amsterdam might have made for an amusing misfire, but at 2 hours 14 minutes, it's an excruciating endurance test.
Agree with this.

The film wasn't very good, though I don't know if it deserved the complete scorching it got. I do think the story the film eventually revealed was interesting but it was just poorly executed. Bale was great as always. When you're watching it and all these great actors pop up it's just crazy how the film fails.
Old 02-20-23, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

It was long but I liked it.

Taylor Swift was the weak link and not John David Washington.

Maybe would be tempted to buy it on Blu-ray.