Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022, D: Johnson) - S: Daniel Craig

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022, D: Johnson) - S: Daniel Craig

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 07:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
re: Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022, D: Johnson) - S: Daniel Craig

whatever keeps that fuck away from Star Wars.
The following 3 users liked this post by TGM:
johnnysd (06-13-22), Josh-da-man (03-31-21), milo bloom (04-01-21)
Old 03-31-21, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
^ I’m sorry, but you could not be more wrong in the lazy writing stuff. Very wrong. The vomit thing and how it was used were brilliant. Johnson and his screenplay were nominated for Oscar and was very deserving. And if not for Parasite, i believe it would have won.
Nope. Lazy as fuck. When have you ever seen anything remotely like that in real life? It’s something that exists only in movies when they can’t think of any realistic way to move the story along. It’s worse than giving someone a convenient case of amnesia.

I know it’s sacrilege to criticize Knives Out but it’s an ugly stain on an otherwise fun movie.
The following users liked this post:
Crocker Jarmen (03-31-21)
Old 03-31-21, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

^ I’m sorry, but you could not be more wrong in the lazy writing stuff. Very wrong. The vomit thing and how it was used were brilliant. Johnson and his screenplay were nominated for Oscar and was very deserving. And if not for Parasite, i believe it would have won.

"I reject your hypothesis".
Crocker Jarmen (03-31-21)
Old 03-31-21, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

@Decker
Old 04-01-21, 12:46 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

People should use that more often.
Old 04-01-21, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Question, will these be shown on Netflix only or will they play in theaters too to qualify for the Oscars? The first was such a smash and played in theaters for months. Just wasn't expecting the sequel (now sequels) to be streaming only.
Old 04-01-21, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Question, will these be shown on Netflix only or will they play in theaters too to qualify for the Oscars? The first was such a smash and played in theaters for months. Just wasn't expecting the sequel (now sequels) to be streaming only.
If they think the movies are worthy of Oscar consideration, and if that is a requirement for eligibility, then Netflix will show them in NY and LA just like they did with Roma, The Irishman and Marriage Story.
Old 04-01-21, 02:58 PM

Even if they do play in theatres, it wouldn’t be at a major chain. But considering that streaming only films qualified this year, is there going back? Also, we don’t know what the theatrical landscape will look like 3 months from now, let alone 18 months from now.
Old 04-01-21, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
Even if they do play in theatres, it wouldn’t be at a major chain. But considering that streaming only films qualified this year, is there going back? Also, we don’t know what the theatrical landscape will look like 3 months from now, let alone 18 months from now.
The Oscar rules for eligibility in 2020 were intentionally characterized as temporary. We don’t know for sure what the rules will be for 2022 releases, but even in 2020 a movie must have been intended to have a theatrical release in order to qualify. I assume the same rules will exist for at least the 2021 releases.
Old 04-01-21, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I’m down for these. I share some of the others’ opinion about RJ and SW, but the first Knives Out was just awesome. Like the goth older sister of Clue.
Old 04-01-21, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Like many, I was apprehensive before seeing this but really enjoyed Knives Out. Looking forward to sequels.
Old 04-01-21, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Like many, I was apprehensive before seeing this but really enjoyed Knives Out. Looking forward to sequels.
Same. Even though I thought it had a terrific cast, the trailers left me cold. A friend literally hijacked the movie we were going to see that weekend. I insisted on "The Good Liar" (Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen). I'm so glad I was swayed otherwise. I loved it. Saw "Liar" a few months later and was extremely underwhelmed. I also enjoyed watching this movie storm the box-office week after week. Dropping very little each week.
Old 04-01-21, 11:45 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
So... Swords Out? Guns Out wraps up the trilogy, of course.
Why does the noun have to change? Why can't it be the adverb?

Knives In.

Knives Here.

Knives There.

Knives Away.

Knives Abroad.
John Pannozzi (05-17-22)
Old 04-02-21, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story

Knives In.

Knives Here.

Knives There.

Knives Away.

Knives Abroad.

Knives to Know You.
Old 04-02-21, 07:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Nope. Lazy as fuck. When have you ever seen anything remotely like that in real life? It’s something that exists only in movies when they can’t think of any realistic way to move the story along. It’s worse than giving someone a convenient case of amnesia.

I know it’s sacrilege to criticize Knives Out but it’s an ugly stain on an otherwise fun movie.
ooooh, this movie was based on a true story of a real case with whacko family, all eccentric in own way and one very very eccentric detective with a name like Benoit Blanc who knew the killer in minutes, but prolonged case for entertainment value, presumably. Academy totally screwed up by nominating him in ORIGINAL Screenplay category. Totally should have been Adapted, those dorks. Didn’t realize. My bad. Truly.

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-02-21 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-03-21, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story

Knives In.

Knives Here.

Knives There.

Knives Away.

Knives Abroad.
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Knives to Know You.
Y’all are sounding like Bob’s Burgers writers.
story (05-11-21)
Old 04-06-21, 02:10 PM

Just over a year ago, it looked like an open-and-shut case.

In February 2020, Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer said during a quarterly earnings call that the company was officially moving ahead on a sequel to Knives Out, the surprise box office and critical smash whodunnit starring Daniel Craig and written and directed by Rian Johnson.

But on March 31, in a twist worthy of Agatha Christie, came the reveal that Lionsgate would not be releasing the sequel at all. Instead, two sequels would be made by Netflix, which inked a dagger-driving $469 million deal with Johnson and his producing partner at T-Street, Ram Bergman, both of whom are represented by CAA.

Deal points were noteworthy: The pact gave Johnson immense creative control, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. He doesn’t have to take notes from the streamer. The only contingencies were that Craig must star in the sequels and that each must have at least the budget of the 2019 movie, which was in the $40 million range. Sources say that Johnson, Bergman and Craig stand to walk away with upwards of $100 million each.

The other company that missed out on the sequels was MRC, the Beverly Hills-based production firm that financed the first film. (MRC is also a co-parent of THR through a joint venture with Penske Media titled PMRC.) Sources say that MRC had a one movie deal with Johnson and Bergman, the filmmaker and producer known for critically beloved, modestly-budgeted one-off thrillers Brick and Looper before they made Star Wars: The Last Jedi. An MRC rep said the company was “proud” to have partnered with Johnson and Bergman on the first Knives Out and noted that the duo “have always controlled the rights” to the franchise.

Sources note that Lionsgate had what was considered a solid deal in which the company had first right of negotiation and last rights of refusal, all part of the negotiation safety net with which companies normally shield themselves from losing projects. (Lionsgate and CAA declined to comment.) And Johnson and Bergman were considered big backers of the theatrical experience.

But that was before the pandemic hit, theatrical took a nosedive and backend became nonexistent. In January, with the pandemic in full swing, and a hoped-for summer production start for a sequel, Johnson and Bergman questioned the near-term viability of theatrical releasing. CAA began shopping the deal and streamers like Netflix pounced hard. MRC and Lionsgate, which in normal times may have gotten the project, could not compete. “It became a perfect storm,” says one insider. “This would not have happened a year ago.”

For Netflix, despite the price tag, the deal made sense on several levels. The streamer gets an instant and proven franchise with sequels to a film that grossed $311 million globally. And it cannily weakens a theatrical competitor.

“Yes, it’s overpaying but Netflix is playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers,” says one streaming executive familiar with the deal. “It takes a proven theatrical commodity off the board and puts it in their pocket. And it’s another way they re-educate audiences to think of streaming and their company above a studio.”

For others, the deal shows the leverage sought-after talent is enjoying at this moment, thanks to the competition from streamers. “If you’re talent right now, and you want to bet on yourself, it’s a pretty good time.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ion-power-play
Old 04-06-21, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I don't get the deal. Knives Out had a budget of 40 million and Netflix pays 470 million for two sequels? Why don't they buy 11 movies? I'm sure I'm overseeing something, but I don't know what it is.
Old 04-06-21, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Runaway
I don't get the deal. Knives Out had a budget of 40 million and Netflix pays 470 million for two sequels? Why don't they buy 11 movies? I'm sure I'm overseeing something, but I don't know what it is.
It’s not just the cost of the budget, it is now factoring in hypothetical gross backend deals that those behind it would’ve received if it went theatrical.
Old 04-06-21, 04:17 PM

So Daniel Craig will make $125M for his next three movies? That's a pretty good paycheck for somebody I doubt anyone would list off the top of their head as one of their ten favorite movie stars working today.
Old 05-10-21, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

OldBoy (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

ooooh, this movie was based on a true story of a real case with whacko family, all eccentric in own way and one very very eccentric detective with a name like Benoit Blanc who knew the killer in minutes, but prolonged case for entertainment value, presumably. Academy totally screwed up by nominating him in ORIGINAL Screenplay category. Totally should have been Adapted, those dorks. Didn’t realize. My bad. Truly.
I missed this the first time. Sorry for taking so long to respond. Movies are rooted in reality. It doesn’t need to be a true story to be grounded in a realistic world. That plot point doesn’t exist in reality. It’s no different than the writers making Daniel Craig’s character a psychic who can magically determine when someone is lying. Or Ana De Armas’ character’s nose grow every time she tells a lie. Both of those are just as plausible as someone who vomits the second they tell a lie.

I stand by my original assertion that it’s a good movie with one terrible story gimmick.
Old 05-10-21, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't have a problem with the vomit trick. Lots of people have all kinds of anxiety issues and if she was raised in a home with issues about lying, it's not a stretch to think she would manifest her anxiety like that.
Old 05-10-21, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I hope the sequel has someone who farts when they lie. Maybe when he reveals the killer, he can sneak in the phrase “he who smelt it, dealt it.”
Old 05-10-21, 06:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I missed this the first time. Sorry for taking so long to respond. Movies are rooted in reality. It doesn’t need to be a true story to be grounded in a realistic world. That plot point doesn’t exist in reality. It’s no different than the writers making Daniel Craig’s character a psychic who can magically determine when someone is lying. Or Ana De Armas’ character’s nose grow every time she tells a lie. Both of those are just as plausible as someone who vomits the second they tell a lie.

I stand by my original assertion that it’s a good movie with one terrible story gimmick.
Since when? Sure some. But what the hell you talking about man? I’m high, but “movies are rooted in reality”? The Matrix, Blade Runner, any horror movie with aliens, monsters, ghosts, etc. Who exactly in our world can turn into a big green Hulk that can talk bc he was radiated with enormous amounts of gamma rays? Who exactly was confirmed to see dead people in real life?

And we’ve seen noses grow for lies on other characters that don’t start with P. I don’t remember another movie using regurgitation as a quirky, hilarious, devious way to know when a fictional character was lying before. Perhaps it’s been done, but I’m not aware.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.