Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022, D: Johnson) - S: Daniel Craig

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022, D: Johnson) - S: Daniel Craig

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-22, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
re: Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022, D: Johnson) - S: Daniel Craig

Interesting. I would feel compelled to see it in a theater for fear of spoilers.
Old 05-17-22, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I'll see it in the theatre should it head there. I liked the 1st movie and saw it in the theatre. I feel like the star power alone makes this a worthy theatrical movie and not some "streaming movie" that people will watch and forget in days.
Old 05-17-22, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I’d check this out in the theater as well. Sure is a lot of wasted talent on direct-to-streaming these days. That being said, there’s also a lot of hot garbage.
Old 05-17-22, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

So I am paying you for content, quite a large sum might I add, and you want to make me pay for it again to see in a theater? Fuck right off with that shit.
Old 05-17-22, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
So I am paying you for content, quite a large sum might I add, and you want to make me pay for it again to see in a theater? Fuck right off with that shit.
Basically what HBO Max/Warner does, though The Batman was more popular than Knives Oot.
Old 05-17-22, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Basically what HBO Max/Warner does, though The Batman was more popular than Knives Oot.
Not at all. HBO operates independently from Warner Brothers Studio. Netflix is Netflix.
And let's be clear : The Irishman played in theaters for a month before it came to Netflix, so this isn't unprecedented.
Old 05-17-22, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Not exactly the same though. That same day release shit was supposedly in response to the pandemic. A lot of those filmmakers were blindsided when hbo pulled that shit.
Those were never supposed to be out right away. Netflix rarely does theatrical, so this is like a bonus for people who still think movies should be in a theater.
Old 05-17-22, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Not exactly the same though. That same day release shit was supposedly in response to the pandemic. A lot of those filmmakers were blindsided when hbo pulled that shit.
Those were never supposed to be out right away. Netflix rarely does theatrical, so this is like a bonus for people who still think movies should be in a theater.
They shifted to a 45 day model for 2022. (ie: The Batman, and Fantastic Beasts 3 shows up on May 30th)

Originally Posted by Decker
Not at all. HBO operates independently from Warner Brothers Studio. Netflix is Netflix.
And let's be clear : The Irishman played in theaters for a month before it came to Netflix, so this isn't unprecedented.
Fair I suppose, the previous Netflix theatrical releases have been incredibly limited, hopefully the 45 days gets them into more theaters.

Disney+ may be a better example but is generally a little longer than 45 days.

​​​​​​​
Old 05-17-22, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk God

I saw Army of the Dead and Red Notice a week early in theatres. But they played at 2 small chains (Harkins and Krikorian) in my area. The big chains like AMC and Regal wouldn't play them.

So if this Knives Out sequel does go through with a theatrical release, it needs to get the bigger chains on board.
Old 06-13-22, 12:10 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

In Rian Johnson's Knives Out follow-up, detective Benoit Blanc travels to Greece to peel back the layers of a mystery involving a new cast of suspects.
Old 06-13-22, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022, D: Johnson) - S: Daniel Craig

That font makes it look like it's from the Lemony Snicket's Universe.
Old 06-13-22, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Glad to hear something about this, the first was a bolt out of the blue.
Old 06-13-22, 02:33 PM

I don't know who did it yet, but one thing is certain :
The Walrus was Paul.
Old 06-29-22, 09:11 AM

Old 08-22-22, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

December 23rd release date
Old 08-22-22, 08:24 AM

Who hasn’t spent the last few years dreaming of a glorious beach getaway? In 2020, while in lockdown, Academy Award nominated writer and director Rian Johnson decided to take a fantasy vacation – with a killer twist. The result is Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, which sees detective Benoit Blanc (Golden Globe-nominee Daniel Craig) reprising his role from Knives Out and traveling to the Mediterranean to solve a brand new mystery.

If Knives Out was about the murderous ties of flesh and blood, Glass Onion makes a good case for being just as wary of one’s closest friends. When a tech billionaire Miles Bron (Edward Norton) invites some of his nearest and dearest for a getaway on his private Greek island, it soon becomes clear that all is not perfect in paradise. And when someone turns up dead, well, who better than Blanc to peel back the layers of intrigue?

Johnson describes his casting approach as “throwing a dinner party.” At the table this time around are Edward Norton, Janelle Monáe, Kathryn Hahn (Private Life), Leslie Odom Jr., Jessica Henwick (The Gray Man), Madelyn Cline (Outer Banks), with Kate Hudson, and Dave Bautista (Army of the Dead).

“You try and invite people that you like,” he says. “But the reality is you never know. At the end of the day, just trying to get the best actors in each part, the actors that are most right for each individual part. So, you also just throw the dice and hold your breath. Luckily, we got a great group that really meshed.”

Holding them all together is Craig’s philosophically-minded sleuth, whose mouthful of an accent chomps through bluster and subterfuge to tease out those all-important clues. In fact, Johnson teases that Blanc will be getting a little more of the spotlight this time around.

“You definitely get to know him a little bit better,” he says. “In the first one, because of the way it was structured, Marta, Ana de Armas’ character, was very much the protagonist. In a big way, Blanc was the threat. He was almost the antagonist in terms of just the story structure, because you were worried, even as they got closer, that he was going to catch her and he was going to have to turn her over at the end. So Blanc was always outside of the sphere of our protagonist and was a little bit more of an enigma in the first movie. Whereas, in this one, Blanc gets an invitation to come to this murder mystery on this island. We’re very much meeting these people and getting into this world through his eyes.”

According to Johnson, Blanc’s penchant for bombast is partly to thank for the film’s title, which pays homage to the 1968 Beatles song of the same name. “I'm always fishing for something fun that Blanc can grab onto as an overwrought metaphor that he can beat to death,” he says. “This is all in plain sight from the very start. So, the idea of glass came to me, something that's clear. I'll be very honest. I literally got out my iPhone and searched my music library with the word ‘glass.’ There's got to be some good glass songs. I was like, "Oh, is it a glass fortress? Is it a glass castle? Is it a glass man?" The first thing that came up, because I'm a huge Beatles fan, is ‘Glass Onion.’”

In keeping with its more coastal vacation vibes, the new film trades in Knives Out’s creaky Massachusetts mansion for a billionaire’s compound in Greece. Johnson says he stumbled upon the perfect location – Villa 20 at the Amanzoe in Porto Heli, Greece – and just knew he had to shoot there. The setting also doubled as a hotel for the cast, many of whom brought their families along. “It felt like a summer vacation where we also made a movie,” Johnson says.

Less a traditional sequel than the second installment in a narratively cohesive universe, Glass Onion has its roots in Johnson’s longtime love affair with Agatha Christie, whose most famous character, Detective Hercule Poirot, drops into no less than 33 novels – all with different tones, structures and plots.

“Every single time, she found a way into it that felt unique and fresh, and you could tell it was challenging her creatively,” he tells Tudum.

In other words, if you’re expecting a Knives Out repeat, don’t. Johnson, whose original screenplay for Knives Out was nominated for an Academy Award, wanted everything about this next film to look and feel as different as possible. Along with Christie’s novels, he looked to “tropical getaway murder mystery” films like 1982’s Evil Under the Sun, and in particular, 1973’s The Last of Sheila, for inspiration. Written by Stephen Sondheim and Anthony Perkins, and starring the likes of Raquel Welch, Ian McShane, and Dyan Cannon, Sheila’s sun-soaked tale about a group of glamorous socialites whose pleasure cruise turns sour is one of his “all-time favorites.”

“There are absolutely some very clear inspirations that I took from it,” he says. “First of all, it's structured around a group of friends, or frenemies, who all have a power dynamic with one of their successful friends. It begins with him sending an invitation for them to come and play this murder mystery game at this exotic locale. In The Last of Sheila, it's on his yacht, and everything ends up going horribly wrong. That is essentially how Glass Onion begins.”

In any whodunnit, part of the fun is putting on your own deerstalker hat and trying to guess the ending — and the culprit. But before you spiral into your very own version of the It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia conspiracy meme, Johnson has some advice. "It's a roller coaster and not a crossword puzzle.”

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery will premiere in select theaters on a to be announced date and globally on Netflix December 23. Consider the game officially afoot.
Old 09-08-22, 08:42 AM

You’re invited to put the pieces together. In the follow-up to Rian Johnson's Knives Out, Detective Benoit Blanc travels to Greece to peel back the layers of a mystery involving a new cast of colorful suspects.

Starring Daniel Craig, Edward Norton, Janelle Monáe, Kathryn Hahn, Leslie Odom Jr., Jessica Henwick, Madelyn Cline with Kate Hudson and Dave Bautista.
Old 09-08-22, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

will for sure watch this!
Old 09-08-22, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Definitely gonna watch this. However, since this is on Netflix, does this mean it'll never get a 4K UHD BD release?
Old 09-08-22, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
None of their original movies get physical media releases. And they paid a shit load of money for this and a part 3. Lionsgate who distributed the first movie is no longer involved with distribution.

I think it’s highly unlikely there will be a physical media release.
That's what I was afraid of.
Old 09-08-22, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
None of their original movies get physical media releases. And they paid a shit load of money for this and a part 3. Lionsgate who distributed the first movie is no longer involved with distribution.

I think it’s highly unlikely there will be a physical media release.

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (10-26-22)
Old 09-08-22, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Doh my bad. I totally forgot about those.
Old 09-08-22, 01:26 PM

Unless Johnson requested some sort of stipulation in the contract about a home media release after X amount years (or Netflix is really hurting after the financial investment in this), I severely doubt this will be getting one.
Old 09-08-22, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Whoa! Definitely wanna get my hands on The Irishman.
Old 09-08-22, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Looks fine, except that I get a Murder On the Orient Express/Nile vibe the way all of the actors are situated as Poirot, I mean Colonel Sanders, calls them out. I do have faith that Johnson will make this good. I loved Knives Out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.