Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite First-Time Viewings of 2019

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-03-20, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

A few people mentioned in another thread that they've only seen a handful of 2019 releases thus far. So my question is, what are your favorite or most memorable films you saw for the first time in 2019?

My list is something like:
  1. If Beale Street Could Talk (2018)
  2. Schindler's List (1993)
  3. The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)
  4. Three Days of the Condor (1975)
  5. Hour of the Gun (1967)
  6. One Cut of the Dead (2017)
  7. 12 Angry Men (1957)
  8. Moana (2016)
  9. Skjelvet/The Quake (2018) (I actually had a drink with my friend in the hotel this was shot at)
  10. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
I also saw Apocalypse Now and The Silence of the Lambs, but those left me a little unimpressed. They were good, but I think the number of films I've seen that they have inspired lessened their impact.
Old 01-03-20, 02:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Favorite First-Time Viewings of 2019

My list:

The Apostle (1997) - Robert Duvall shows a lot of affection for southern preachers in a really non-judgmental story.

Shadow (2018) - Gorgeous wuxia film that goes over the top at times, but it has the feel of a fantasy film so going OTT is pretty appropriate.

The Lavender Hill Mob (1951) - Terrific comedic caper film that will you leave guessing even though the story is told as a flashback.

The Lunchbox (2013) - Great long-distance relationship drama that has me wondering how the thousands of lunch containers manage to get delivered to the right people.

Masked Avengers (1981) - A great Chang Cheh actioner with amazing choreography and a mind-blowing climactic fight.

Triangle (2009) - Part melodrama, part haunted ship movie, part slasher, part sci-fi adding up to a major league mindf#*k.

The Handmaiden (2016) - Another Park Chan Wook-directed feast for the eyes with a multi-layered story about class, patriarchy, deception, and identity.

Scherzo diabolico (2015) - A kidnapping tale with multiple twists and a brilliant use of classical music.

Mulholland Drive (2001) - A noirish mystery thriller that's meant to be enjoyed without being definitively understood.

The Wailing (2016) - Great puzzle box movie that fans have impressively been able to explain by taking everything literally, but whether or not you're supposed to do that is, itself, a mystery.

Leon: The Professional (1994) - Portman, Reno, and Oldman are great in this film from Luc Besson which he has yet to top.

Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018) - Awesome documentary that makes you realize how much we miss Mr. Rogers.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-03-20)
Old 01-03-20, 02:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts

i think i'm on list overload...
IBJoel (01-03-20)
Old 01-03-20, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Some of these are just gonna be 2018 "award season" movies that I didn't get to till '19.

If Beale Street Could Talk
BlacKkKlansman
Shoplifters
Snapshot (1979)
Eaten Alive! (1980)
Anna and the Apocalypse
Terror (1978)
Eighth Grade
Hounds of Love
Papillon (1973)
Bad Times at the El Royale
Threads (1984)*
Goodbye Uncle Tom (1971)*

* - I did not "like" or enjoy either of these two films. They sickened and disgusted me. But they got under my skin and really affected me. I appreciate any movie that can do that.
IBJoel (01-03-20)
Old 01-03-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

This makes me want to keep posting to the "Last Bd you watched..." thread because there are a bunch of films I would have forgotten I'd seen for the first time if I hadn't noted them there.

Man Without A Star- very enjoyable western with Kirk Douglas playing someone who tries to avoid violent confrontation. it was also fun to see William "the Squire Of Gothos" Campbell is a big, early supporting role.

Forever Female - my write up for this notes that I found it very entertaining. It benefited from lowered expectations because despite loving the cast (William Holden, Ginger Rogers, Paul Douglas) I remember looking at the spine night after night for well over a year, and seeing it as an example of something I didn't need to buy and would likely never watch- until I actually did. And that was motivated simply to clear off shelf space for other stuff I'd have a much greater desire to watch sooner.
Nearly a year later, that first negative impression I had is still what I think of. If I hadn't jotted down a brief note, I don't think I would have recalled just how much I did enjoy it at the time. Fun backstage relationship comedy.

Annihilation - Tried to avoid as much info on the plot as I could. I had a vague idea of the general premise, but it was pretty much nothing that I was expecting in terms of tone or plot/resolution. - loved it. Hesitant to revisit it though because of how much that enjoyment was predicated on complete surprise and unawareness of what to expect.

Aquaman - a little overstuffed, but loved it. Looking forward to watching it again soon.

Jet Pilot - super hokey Howard Hughes produced, mid 50's John Wayne (in a role better suited to someone at least a decade younger) jet age actioner about US Air Force dealing with a Russian spy/defector played by a Janet Leigh. The young Leigh is a full on, Tex Avery reaction inspiring, knockout in this. A pretty lame film by most standards. But the visuals- both Leigh and the exemplary in air footage of the jets- along with some inappropriate casting, made it pretty entertaining.

Princess Mononoke - I consider last years viewing of the film my first, because the first time I actually did see it was via a VHS that my friends Japanese girlfriend sent him. We watched it, in a camper on a tiny 12" screen with no subtitles or dubbing- just my friend relating the story of what was going on as he knew it. Love my buddy, but that was a really miserable, excruciating experience that prevented me from revisiting the film for almost twenty years. Seeing it properly for the first time, I was completely entranced. One of the best HT experiences I had all year- and animation s generally among my least favorite genres.

Battle Of The Sexes - I was just about in first grade when this happened, but it was one of those transcendent pop culture events that I definitely remember an omnipresent buzz about at the time. Fascinating to see what was bubbling underneath the surface of all that. I also enjoyed that, while there was conflict in the story, there were no real bad guys. Even the one figure who may have otherwise come off as the clear "villain" in another telling, is shown to be operating from a point of view that isn't malicious as much as simply inflexibly traditional and out of step with the times.
I came for the culture nostalgia but was happily surprised to find an affecting, and refreshing, experience all around.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 01-03-20 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lady Macbeth (2016)
The Young One (1960)
The Hazing (2004) *October Challenge*
The Mask (1961) *October Challenge*
Crimes of Passion (1984)
The Wedding Banquet (1993)
Bamboo House Of Dolls (1973) *Exploitation Challenge*
Otto, or up with Dead People (2008)
78/52 (2017)
Don’t Look Down (2008)
Manila in The Claws Of The Light (1975)
Lady in a Cage (1964)
Becoming Bond (2017)

Old 01-03-20, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Social Network
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Toy Story 3
Breach
Looper
Once
The Lady Eve
Grave of the Fireflies
All the President's Men
The Magnificent Ambersons
Pan's Labyrinth
In Cold Blood
Shaft (1971)
The French Connection

Old 01-04-20, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

36 quai des Orfèvres (2004)
Afflicted (2013)
Creed (2015)
Digging Up The Marrow (2014)
Filmage: The Story of Descendents/All (2013)
Krisha (2015)
Leave No Trace (2018)
Sorry To Bother You (2018)
Tammy and The T-Rex (1994)
Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk (2017)