Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Promising Young Woman (2020, W/D: Fennell) S: Carey Mulligan

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Promising Young Woman (2020, W/D: Fennell) S: Carey Mulligan

Old 05-24-21, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Promising Young Woman (2020, W/D: Fennell) S: Carey Mulligan

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I watched this today and it's a fantastic film. Mulligan shows that she's one of the best actresses working today. I would rank this 4.5/5 I'll spoiler my thoughts.
Spoiler:
I hated to see her killed like that. It was a slow suffocation and she fought it every inch of the way. She was playing a very dangerous game that could have killer consequences and she ended up falling victim to it. I was hoping she would get revenge and be able to heal and move on, but she was too far gone especially after she watched the video. I loved that she already had a contingency plan though and those guys faced a reckoning. It's a great film that I will be thinking about for awhile.

Alright I'm off to watch something lighter before going to bed.
Movie would not have worked as well w/o that ending. I too loved the movie (easily could have lost the McLovin' scene). Could have been a little shorter but Mulligan killed it.
Old 05-24-21, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Movie would not have worked as well w/o that ending. I too loved the movie (easily could have lost the McLovin' scene). Could have been a little shorter but Mulligan killed it.
It was definitely the right ending, but not what I wanted to see happen. It’s not a traditional Hollywood ending. I probably shouldn’t base my ratings on what I want to see happen versus what should happen. I also shouldn’t have watched it so late. I had trouble sleeping last night thinking about the ending.
Old 05-24-21, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

It was definitely the right ending, but not what I wanted to see happen. It’s not a traditional Hollywood ending. I probably shouldn’t base my ratings on what I want to see happen versus what should happen. I also shouldn’t have watched it so late. I had trouble sleeping last night thinking about the ending.
I went it very cold and was pretty shocked by it. It rare a movie can do that in the post M. Night era, and I really enjoyed it.
Old 05-24-21, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

The Juice Newton really turned it into an empowering moment.
Old 05-24-21, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Finally got around to watching this and even though fuckin' Bill Maher ruined a major plot point, thought this was great.

Originally Posted by mwbmis
The Juice Newton really turned it into an empowering moment.
Yeah definitely thought this song worked for the ending (and worked better here than in Deadpool)
Old 05-24-21, 07:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
Finally got around to watching this and even though fuckin' Bill Maher ruined a major plot point, thought this was great.
what did he say?
Old 05-24-21, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
what did he say?
He was complaining about how depressing the Best Pic nominees were and proceeded to spill the endings to all of them, including
Spoiler:
her getting killed by the rapist
Old 05-24-21, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I went it very cold and was pretty shocked by it. It rare a movie can do that in the post M. Night era, and I really enjoyed it.
Spoiler:
I kept thinking she can't be dead, are they really going to kill the lead with this much time left? I was completely shocked and stood up during the last half of that scene. She played a dangerous game and was taken out by it.
Old 05-24-21, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
He was complaining about how depressing the Best Pic nominees were and proceeded to spill the endings to all of them, including
Spoiler:

oh, that sucks! I wouldn’t call this role even close to depressing.
Old 05-24-21, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
I kept thinking she can't be dead, are they really going to kill the lead with this much time left? I was completely shocked and stood up during the last half of that scene. She played a dangerous game and was taken out by it.

Spoiler:
I kept expecting a surprise reveal.

Old 09-26-21, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Just added to HBOMax.
Old 09-26-21, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Was working on grad school work in a hotel room last night and this came on HBO. I was only partially paying attention at first, but was riveted shortly after it began. I will have to give this a full attention watch on HBOMax.

I think it was Decker who speculated about Margot Robbie potentially being cast at one point; I had the same thought when I saw her listed as a producer. I could easily see her in this role ... and just as easily see Mulligan as Harley Quinn. I looked up Mulligan's IMDB credits and don't remember seeing anything that I was familiar with.
Old 09-27-21, 09:51 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the heads up -- I plan to watch this again.
Old 09-27-21, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,197 Likes on 4,224 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I think it was Decker who speculated about Margot Robbie potentially being cast at one point; I had the same thought when I saw her listed as a producer. I could easily see her in this role ... and just as easily see Mulligan as Harley Quinn. I looked up Mulligan's IMDB credits and don't remember seeing anything that I was familiar with.
Yeah it was me. Taking nothing away from Mulligan who was incredible in this and my choice for Best Actress, but I do wonder how Margot would have played the role.

You didn't see Gatsby? I kind of thought everyone did. You need to check out An Education which was an amazing performance she gave at a young age and got her an Oscar nomination. I am very partial to Never Let Me Go with her, Kiera Knightly and Andrew Garfield, but it's gut-wrenching. Also Shame is a really good Steve McQueen-directed movie starring Michael Fassbender that is also a tough watch.
Old 09-27-21, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

For the last 12 years or so, I’ve had a lot of “Michelle Williams is great in this! No wait, that’s Carey Mulligan” moments while watching her movies.
Old 09-27-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah it was me. Taking nothing away from Mulligan who was incredible in this and my choice for Best Actress, but I do wonder how Margot would have played the role.

You didn't see Gatsby? I kind of thought everyone did. You need to check out An Education which was an amazing performance she gave at a young age and got her an Oscar nomination. I am very partial to Never Let Me Go with her, Kiera Knightly and Andrew Garfield, but it's gut-wrenching. Also Shame is a really good Steve McQueen-directed movie starring Michael Fassbender that is also a tough watch.
When I think of Mulligan's body of work, I immediately think of "Never Let me Go". What a devastating film. And she is just heartbreaking in it. She's also really great in "Wildlife" and "Inside Llewyn Davis".
Old 09-27-21, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Spoiler:

that blows! And I didn’t take as depressing at all. Just ultimate…
Spoiler:
revenge!

Old 09-27-21, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,197 Likes on 4,224 Posts

oh, that sucks! I wouldn’t call this role even close to depressing.
that blows!
OB responding to the same post that he already responded to back in May.

The following users liked this post:
Lipid (01-20-22)
Old 09-27-21, 06:34 PM

It happens. I don’t read threads as most know.
Old 12-19-21, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

I just watched this on HBO Max this weekend. I was aware of it from last year's award season, but only had a broad outline of what it was about. So, the third act developments were quite a surprise. I was totally suckered in for the ending. The Oscar makes sense.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (12-20-21)
Old 12-28-21, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Finally one unanswered question :
What do you think the significance was of the black vs red ink in Cassie's tally book? Guys she let off with a warning vs guys she hurt or injured?
Finally got a chance to watch this film last night and I don't think there was any significance of the different colored ink in the tally book. Felt like it was more about visual aesthetics.

Jerry & Neil do equally disgusting things but both of their tally marks are in different color (Jerry in blue & Neil in black).

Thought the film was fantastic. Loved the screenplay from Emerald Fennell, turning the Rape-Revenge sub-genre on its head. Amazing performance from Carey Mulligan as well!

Spoiler:
The ending of the film took me by surprise as well, with a few posters noting that it wasn't a traditional Hollywood ending. The scene was also uncomfortable for me not only because of the length of the scene but because of how much Emerald Fennell developed Cassie as a character up to that point. It was heartbreaking to see and (again as others have mentioned), you immediately start hoping for some sort of cinematic ruse, that what you are witnessing isn't real.

Old 08-10-22, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Very late to the party, but I finally caught up to this and absolutely loved it. Other than seeing the trailer before my last pre-pandemic trip to the theater in 2020 (for 1917, in case you were curious) I knew very little about this so nothing was spoiled for me. Which was good, because I honestly did not know this was a thriller, I had thought it was more of a drama. So that right there was a pleasant surprise. I'll have to give it another viewing (could even see myself buying the Blu), because I wasn't sure about one thing at the ending. Seems odd to use a spoiler tag on a 2 year old movie but I'll do it anyway.

Spoiler:
Who has what phone at the end? Ryan gets the text from "Cassie", but obviously someone else has her phone since she's dead. But even though we see Alfred Molina with the phone in the envelope, is that hers, or is it Madison's old phone with the incriminating video? The phone he receives has a physical keyboard, not very common now but much more common 8-9 years ago (it looks like a Blackberry). If he has the video, even though the statute of limitations has passed, he can certainly ruin everyone's life with making the video public
Old 08-10-22, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Paff
Very late to the party, but I finally caught up to this and absolutely loved it. Other than seeing the trailer before my last pre-pandemic trip to the theater in 2020 (for 1917, in case you were curious) I knew very little about this so nothing was spoiled for me. Which was good, because I honestly did not know this was a thriller, I had thought it was more of a drama. So that right there was a pleasant surprise. I'll have to give it another viewing (could even see myself buying the Blu), because I wasn't sure about one thing at the ending. Seems odd to use a spoiler tag on a 2 year old movie but I'll do it anyway.

Spoiler:
Who has what phone at the end? Ryan gets the text from "Cassie", but obviously someone else has her phone since she's dead. But even though we see Alfred Molina with the phone in the envelope, is that hers, or is it Madison's old phone with the incriminating video? The phone he receives has a physical keyboard, not very common now but much more common 8-9 years ago (it looks like a Blackberry). If he has the video, even though the statute of limitations has passed, he can certainly ruin everyone's life with making the video public
didn't she make the video public by sending it around to everyone, especially at the party? it was like a timed text message that would be sent at a particular time she set up in case. that's what i thought anyway. maybe what Molina got was more proof.
Old 08-10-22, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
The final messages were timed messages.

Old 08-10-22, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Ah, makes sense, just happened to nail the timing, didn't she?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.