Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Promising Young Woman (2020, W/D: Fennell) S: Carey Mulligan

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Promising Young Woman (2020, W/D: Fennell) S: Carey Mulligan

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 05:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: Promising Young Woman (2020, W/D: Fennell) S: Carey Mulligan

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The only huge difference here is the dark comedy angle...
that's a pretty huge fucking difference and probably why the reason it is so popular and keeps building steam. it is a fantastic movie, with twists and turns and frankly, a story that might seem like simple revenge, but in this day and age and how she does it is quite unique and quite incredible and the ending is quite jaw dropping and gripping to be honest. and Mulligan delivers a truly Oscar winning performance. and everyone around her, Cox and others were equally great. but Mulligan was just so devious and torn and simply remarkable this role.
Old 03-26-21, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
that's a pretty huge fucking difference and probably why the reason it is so popular and keeps building steam. it is a fantastic movie, with twists and turns and frankly, a story that might seem like simple revenge, but in this day and age and how she does it is quite unique and quite incredible and the ending is quite jaw dropping and gripping to be honest. and Mulligan delivers a truly Oscar winning performance. and everyone around her, Cox and others were equally great. but Mulligan was just so devious and torn and simply remarkable this role.
Not to mention it was the Director's first film (and screenplay!). And she knocked it out of the park on both. I can't wait to see what she does next.
The following 3 users liked this post by Daytripper:
OldBoy (03-26-21), story (03-26-21), Why So Blu? (03-26-21)
Old 03-26-21, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Not to mention it was the Director's first film (and screenplay!). And she knocked it out of the park on both. I can't wait to see what she does next.
She's writing the Zatanna screenplay. Don't know what she'll be directing, though.
Old 03-26-21, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

She's one of the lead writers on Killing Eve so at the very least she had a strong background going into it. Not that it makes it any less impressive.

That show had a similar sense of dark humor
Old 03-27-21, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
She's one of the lead writers on Killing Eve so at the very least she had a strong background going into it. Not that it makes it any less impressive.

That show had a similar sense of dark humor
Yeah, I knew that. And I love that show. I was just pointing out that this is her first screenplay for movie. She's clearly a talented writer. Her directorial debut is even more impressive.
Old 03-27-21, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

At first I thought she was a serial killer. I did not watch the trailers or read the plot.

I assume this will never be in Brock Turner's netflix que.

I liked it and thought it was entertaining.
Spoiler:
That Monroe dude what a dumbass and killed her.

Old 04-02-21, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Just finished it and really enjoyed it. I do agree that it wasn't the most original film and I did see some of the twists coming, but it was done well. Mulligan definitely killed it. It's hard to imagine another actress pulling it off.

And while I also agree that I found it surprising it got so many nominations, I think it might have less to do with the pandemic and more to do with timing (subject matter hitting the zeitgeist) and partly a reflection of some of the Academy membership changes. There has been more willingness to recognize genre fare in the last few years. It really hit at the right time.
Old 04-04-21, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Just finished it and really enjoyed it. I do agree that it wasn't the most original film and I did see some of the twists coming, but it was done well.
Finally watched this today. Thought it was pretty great. Yeah, I do think it had a lot of familiar elements to it. Anyone who doesn't see the twist with the
Spoiler:
Boyfriend

coming a mile away hasn't seen more than a dozen movies in their entire lifetime.

That said, I was fine with some of the more familiar, formulaic elements, because Fennell does a nice job playing with those expectations. The part where
Spoiler:
Max Greenfield tells his friend Al that "You killed the stripper at your bachelor party? What is this, the 90s?" is one of the greatest self-aware lines of dialog I have heard in years!

Mulligan definitely killed it. It's hard to imagine another actress pulling it off.
Yeah, she's great. Margot Robbie is a producer, so I assume she must have been attached to star in it. That would have been an interesting role for her, but it's hard to imagine she would have been better than Mulligan. There was something so unpredictable about that performance. It's not like she was "nuts", but you never got a full sense of what she could control and what she couldn't. It lead to a very unsettled feeling.

Finally one unanswered question :
What do you think the significance was of the black vs red ink in Cassie's tally book? Guys she let off with a warning vs guys she hurt or injured?
Old 04-04-21, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Finally watched this today. Thought it was pretty great. Yeah, I do think it had a lot of familiar elements to it. Anyone who doesn't see the twist with the
Spoiler:
Boyfriend

coming a mile away hasn't seen more than a dozen movies in their entire lifetime.

That said, I was fine with some of the more familiar, formulaic elements, because Fennell does a nice job playing with those expectations. The part where
Spoiler:
Max Greenfield tells his friend Al that "You killed the stripper at your bachelor party? What is this, the 90s?" is one of the greatest self-aware lines of dialog I have heard in years!

Yeah, she's great. Margot Robbie is a producer, so I assume she must have been attached to star in it. That would have been an interesting role for her, but it's hard to imagine she would have been better than Mulligan. There was something so unpredictable about that performance. It's not like she was "nuts", but you never got a full sense of what she could control and what she couldn't. It lead to a very unsettled feeling.

Finally one unanswered question :
What do you think the significance was of the black vs red ink in Cassie's tally book? Guys she let off with a warning vs guys she hurt or injured?
Margot's production company made the movie but per their story Robbie never considered herself as the lead since they felt it wouldn't work as well with someone you expect in these kinds of roles. They wanted a more "prestige" actress to do it as it would be better suited and more surprising.

So not quite Witherspoon being turned down as Amy in Gone Girl by the director she picked, but just smart producing in general.
The following users liked this post:
Decker (04-04-21)
Old 04-04-21, 08:52 PM

She just lost the SAG to Davis. Hope doesn’t lessen big favorite for Best Actress Oscar.
Old 04-04-21, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Wow that is stunning. Like everyone, I love Viola but come on now, there's no comparison in these two roles. Mulligan has way more to do and is way better
OldBoy (04-04-21)
Old 04-05-21, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm fine with Mulligan's nod. But Best Picture? How is this movie any different from a dozen other "revenge" movies we've seen in the past? Is it better than Kill Bill? (No.) Elle? (No.) The Brave One? (yes, but not by a wide margin). There's a LOT of movies as good as this one. It just hit at the right time (the whole #MeToo movement) to get a lot of attention. The only huge difference here is the dark comedy angle...but that actually makes it have less impact for me, not more.
I really liked this movie a lot. I might push back on you a bit a little as I thought it created an atmosphere that felt quite unique, sort of a bit like King of Comedy. I also don't think it was a revenge film really even if that is the ultimate result. Mulligan was magnificent.
Old 05-03-21, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I just finished watching it for the second time and I have to say that I enjoyed it a lot more this time. Like previously mentioned, even in the first viewing, I saw most of the twists coming, but it didn't stop me from enjoying Mulligan's performance. This is her first role where I found her even remotely interesting. Before this, I thought she was as dull as dishwater. But she turned in a great performance. An the movie is very good, too.
Old 05-03-21, 06:53 PM

I can’t wait to watch again too. This might be another should have been Oscar winner for Mulligan that will stick in my craw, always.
Old 05-12-21, 04:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Watched this over the weekend and enjoyed the hell out of it -- entertaining all around. Agree that Mulligan was great in this.
Old 05-12-21, 04:19 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

The Vudu UHD version is on sale for $12.99. I've already rented the blu-ray, so I'll hold out for under $10 to pick up the digital copy. Looks like Fandango has it for the same price. It's a Movies Anywhere title.
Old 05-12-21, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I can’t wait to watch again too. This might be another should have been Oscar winner for Mulligan that will stick in my craw, always.

It really is interesting how the academy has gotten on a kick of trying to see how many Oscars they can give to the "veterans" nowadays.
Old 05-13-21, 07:36 PM

^ ridiculous. her and Hopkins were just not right. it should have been Mulligan and Boseman based on movies and in Boseman's case, Lee's Da 5 Bloods as well. Frances already has fucking 3, she didn't really act in this movie. it's not an actor's movie. and Hopkins, while The Father was great and eerily familiar, Academy just didn't get it right in both cases.
Old 05-14-21, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

^ ridiculous. her and Hopkins were just not right. it should have been Mulligan and Boseman based on movies and in Boseman's case, Lee's Da 5 Bloods as well. Frances already has fucking 3, she didn't really act in this movie. it's not an actor's movie. and Hopkins, while The Father was great and eerily familiar, Academy just didn't get it right in both cases.
I can't agree with that. While I would say the best actress category was more open, Anthony Hopkins wiped the floor with his competition.
Old 05-14-21, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Maybe I should take this to the unpopular opinion thread, but I didn't care for Boseman in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom at all. I thought Glynn Turman was far better from the same movie. Boseman was better in Da 5 Bloods.

As for best actress, it would be difficult to mount much argument against Mulligan, McDormand or Day. I thought all three were very deserving. Honestly, Day probably gave the best performance but was hampered with the weakest film.
Old 05-14-21, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree about Boseman in Ma Rainey. I haven't seen enough of the others to judge the actress leads (of those, I've seen Promising Young Woman and Ma Rainey)
Old 05-14-21, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Runaway
I can't agree with that. While I would say the best actress category was more open, Anthony Hopkins wiped the floor with his competition.
he was undoubtedly good. I’m not questioning that and The Father was fantastic. But, Boseman was great in every role he was in in his very short career. His last 2 earned him raves. He died, suddenly and tragically (though, of course shouldn’t play a factor). Hopkins has 2. Boseman should have got it for both Da 5 Bloods and Ma Rainey, despite what you guys think, he did get outstanding reviews in it. He was simply great in everything, but these 2 were recognized the most even-though he was amazing as Black Panther. He should have, hands down, based on career and last 2 films. But Hopkins wiping floor? No way.
Old 05-15-21, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang
Maybe I should take this to the unpopular opinion thread, but I didn't care for Boseman in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom at all. I thought Glynn Turman was far better from the same movie. Boseman was better in Da 5 Bloods.

As for best actress, it would be difficult to mount much argument against Mulligan, McDormand or Day. I thought all three were very deserving. Honestly, Day probably gave the best performance but was hampered with the weakest film.
Originally Posted by RichC2
I agree about Boseman in Ma Rainey. I haven't seen enough of the others to judge the actress leads (of those, I've seen Promising Young Woman and Ma Rainey)
I didn't care for Boseman either in "Ma Rainey's". In fact, I thought he was borderline terrible. His acting was just way too over the top and show boaty. He's a fine actor in everything else he's done. But he only got a nomination because he suddenly passed. He should have been nominated for "42" and "Get On Up". Anthony Hopkins absolutely deserved the Best Actor award this year. That was masterclass acting and his best work in years. And he absolutely wiped the floor with his competition. Riz Ahmed was the second best performance in that category. Followed by Steven Yeun. IMO.

Last edited by Daytripper; 05-15-21 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-15-21, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

he was undoubtedly good. I’m not questioning that and The Father was fantastic. But, Boseman was great in every role he was in in his very short career. His last 2 earned him raves. He died, suddenly and tragically (though, of course shouldn’t play a factor). Hopkins has 2. Boseman should have got it for both Da 5 Bloods and Ma Rainey, despite what you guys think, he did get outstanding reviews in it. He was simply great in everything, but these 2 were recognized the most even-though he was amazing as Black Panther. He should have, hands down, based on career and last 2 films. But Hopkins wiping floor? No way.
I really liked Boseman's performance in Ma Rainey, but it wasn't his best, Get On Up was more impressive and no one thought about nominating him for that, but this year he wasn't even my #2. Anthony Hopkins gave a lifetime performance. I don't see anyone coming near him. I'm not even sure Boseman would have been nominated, if he hadn't died. Anyway Riz Ahmed's performance was also superior to his. I see the urge to give him a nice send off, but that doen't make im better.

Coming back to the ladies. All 5 performances where equally strong, I wouldn't have complained if anyone else had won the Oscar. Promising Young Woman was the most entertaining movie and Mulligan's performance was the least classical Oscar bait, so I would have given the Oscar to her, but it's not like Frances McDormand didn't deserve it, her acting was the only thing that kept me awake during the boring experience of watching Nomadland.
Daytripper (05-15-21)
Old 05-23-21, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I watched this today and it's a fantastic film. Mulligan shows that she's one of the best actresses working today. I would rank this 4.5/5 I'll spoiler my thoughts.
Spoiler:
I hated to see her killed like that. It was a slow suffocation and she fought it every inch of the way. She was playing a very dangerous game that could have killer consequences and she ended up falling victim to it. I was hoping she would get revenge and be able to heal and move on, but she was too far gone especially after she watched the video. I loved that she already had a contingency plan though and those guys faced a reckoning. It's a great film that I will be thinking about for awhile.

Alright I'm off to watch something lighter before going to bed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.