DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Woman in the Window (2021, D: Joe Wright) S: Amy Adams (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/649397-woman-window-2021-d-joe-wright-s-amy-adams.html)

dex14 12-19-19 09:13 AM

The Woman in the Window (2021, D: Joe Wright) S: Amy Adams

In “The Woman in the Window,” a psychological suspense thriller directed by Joe Wright, an agoraphobic child psychologist befriends a neighbor across the street from her New York City brownstone, only to see her own life turned upside down when the woman disappears and she suspects foul play. A stellar ensemble cast brings Tracy Letts’ screenplay based on the gripping, best-selling novel to life, where shocking secrets are revealed, and no one—and nothing—is what it seems. Starring Amy Adams, Gary Oldman, Anthony Mackie, Wyatt Russell, Brian Tyree Henry, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Julianne Moore, “The Woman in the Window” is produced by Scott Rudin, Eli Bush and Anthony Katagas.

“The Woman in the Window” opens in U.S. theaters May 15, 2020.
This went through a big round of reshoots and was pushed back after the acquisition by Disney.

bluetoast 12-19-19 01:18 PM

re: The Woman in the Window (2021, D: Joe Wright) S: Amy Adams

I take it this has nothing to do with the Ernest Borgnine movie.

dex14 12-19-19 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 13658077)
I take it this has nothing to do with the Ernest Borgnine movie.

Edward G. Robinson? No.

brainee 12-19-19 01:35 PM

Seems like a good cast and crew. I just read the book a month ago. While an entertaining enough read, the story is every bit the take off Rear Window (with a dash of Vertigo) that it appear to be. There are a couple of solid twists, and I could see a movie improving upon the execution of the ending.

bluetoast 12-19-19 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13658087)
Edward G. Robinson? No.

Damn, I keep getting those two confused, and I’ve seen it a few times.

dex14 03-04-21 11:34 AM

Re: The Woman in the Window (2021, D: Joe Wright) S: Amy Adams

After reshoots, and the Fox acquisition, this was eventually sold to Netflix and will finally be released this May.

jpcamb 03-04-21 11:39 AM

Oh cool! Glad to see this is direct to Netflix, had not seen anything about this before and as I was scrolling thru the thread I was wondering when it would come to a streamer. :) Hopefully this makes up for the awful mess that was Hillbilly Elegy.. my first movie of hers I didn't finish.

DJariya 04-08-21 01:22 PM

New Netflix trailer just posted today

I saw this trailer in the theater a long time ago, but forgot about it and missed the news that it was sold to Netflix.

MysterioMan007 04-08-21 06:42 PM

Looks like a fun little thriller with Rear Window/Disturbia vibes. Always love Amy Adams, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Why So Blu? 04-11-21 07:32 PM

Adams looking frumpy as all hell, too. Ew.

Looks like Rear Window meets Repulsion. I'll watch it. The screenplay is by Tracy Letts, so I'm interested.

dex14 04-11-21 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13919047)
Adams looking frumpy as all hell, too. Ew.

Looks like Rear Window meets Repulsion. I'll watch it. The screenplay is by Tracy Letts, so I'm interested.

She’s playing an agoraphobic. She looks the part.

There were a lot of rewrites and reshoots that Letts had nothing to do with. He thought working on this sucked.

I don’t think people should expect anything good from this. I think it’s pretty telling this is the only film Disney sold after the acquisition. Shit... they even released The Empty Man.

dex14 05-14-21 10:29 AM

This is out today. Unsurprisingly reviews are pretty bad:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the...he_window_2020

MysterioMan007 05-14-21 06:24 PM

This is about as by-the-numbers as a thriller can get. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't anything spectacular. Weird to see both Wyatt Russell and Anthony Mackie here after seeing them both in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. A movie with Amy Adams, Gary Oldman, and Julianne Moore in the cast should be much better. Julianne Moore, in my opinion, does the most with what little screentime she has...

dex14 05-15-21 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 (Post 13933851)
Julianne Moore, in my opinion, does the most with what little screentime she has...

This sucked. But the only thing I got enjoyment out of was having a scene with Moore and Adams, two of my favorite actresses.

Decker 05-15-21 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13934003)
This sucked. But the only thing I got enjoyment out of was having a scene with Moore and Adams, two of my favorite actresses.

You will see them together again later this year (I think there’s a scene with both moms, though I can’t fully recall) in Dear Evan Hanson.

Crocker Jarmen 05-15-21 08:55 PM

I found this enjoyable. I thought the hallucination visuals added a lot. The only thing that significantly diminishes the movie for me is the over-the-top music score, which starts at a 10 and never lets up. Even right at the beginning of the movie, when things are just a little off, already the music is blaring away like it's the score for a rooftop fight sequence.

JeffTheAlpaca 05-16-21 04:21 AM

It was not that bad and better than the Jolie movie I saw yesterday

I assume this won't get a dvd release?

tommyp007 05-16-21 08:43 PM

Just finished it. I liked it ok until the reveal of the villain , then it just went too far into shlock territory for me. Adams is one of my favorite actresses, but her recent film choices are regrettable.

RichC2 05-17-21 07:57 AM

Yeah this was a dud. Not all out boring but totally disposable.

davidh777 05-17-21 12:37 PM

This was ok. Man, all these actresses have gotten old. :(

RichC2 05-17-21 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 13934671)
This was ok. Man, all these actresses have gotten old. :(

Worth noting too that this was shot in 2018.

Troy Stiffler 05-17-21 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13934561)
Yeah this was a dud. Not all out boring but totally disposable.

Ill still watch. But unfortunate. That first trailer was pretty stressful. I was hoping it’d be thrilling.

Runaway 05-18-21 02:03 AM

This looked pretty much like a mediocre 90s thriller. I didn't hate it, but a movie with this cast shouldn't be so by the numbers.

jpcamb 05-18-21 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13934675)
Worth noting too that this was shot in 2018.

That speaks volumes about this movie. It was OK at best and if not for Amy Adams I would likely have turned it off and given up. Can not see myself watching this one again. At least I did not pay good money to watch it in theaters.

Dr. DVD 05-21-21 08:08 AM

Is it just me , or do streaming offerings tend to fall in the "dud" category more often than the opposite when it comes to movies that were at first considered for theatrical release ?