DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Old Guard (2020, D: Gina Prince-Bythewood) S: Theron, Ejiofor -- Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/649389-old-guard-2020-d-gina-prince-bythewood-s-theron-ejiofor-netflix.html)

devilshalo 12-18-19 07:05 PM

The Old Guard (2020, D: Gina Prince-Bythewood) S: Theron, Ejiofor -- Netflix

Looked for a thread but didn't find one. Test screening tonight. Had never heard of it. Based on the Image comic.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b195dc3d35.jpg

The story of old soldiers who never die…and yet cannot seem to fade away. Trapped in an immortality without explanation, Andromache of Scythia—“Andy”—and her comrades ply their trade for those who can find—and afford—their services. But in the 21st century, immortality is a hard secret to keep, and when you live long enough, you learn that there are many fates worse than death.
Funny with Theron, makes it sound like Hancock 2. :p

dex14 12-18-19 07:07 PM

re: The Old Guard (2020 D: Gina Prince-Bythewood) S: Theron, Ejiofor -- Netflix

I like this director’s work.

devilshalo 12-18-19 07:09 PM

Charlize Theron is Playing an Immortal Mercenary in Netflix’s Action-Thriller ‘The Old Guard’
By John Squires

Fans of Atomic Blonde will be happy to hear that Charlize Theron is headed back into the action arena for Skydance and Netflix’s Old Guard, playing… an immortal assassin?!

Detailed by THR, Marwan Kenzari (Aladdin‘s Jafar) will star alongside Theron in the film, an adaptation of the comic from author Greg Rucka and artist Leandro Fernandez.

Kiki Layne is also starring.

Old Guard tells of a small group of soldiers, led by a woman named Andy (Theron), who are inexplicably immortal and have been working as mercenaries through the ages.

“The novelty of not dying long gone, the group gets a jolt in their bones when they discover the existence of a new immortal, a black woman serving in the Marines, at the same time as a nefarious organization captures their undying actions on camera.”

Kenzari will play a man who was once a Moor warrior.

Gina Prince-Bythewood is directing Old Guard.

Chiwetel Ejiofor Joins Charlize Theron’s Netflix Movie ‘The Old Guard’
By STEWART CLARKE

Chiwetel Ejiofor will be part of “The Old Guard.” The “12 Years a Slave” star has signed on for the Netflix and Skydance picture, which will also star Charlize Theron who also produces.

Harry Melling (“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”) and Veronica Ngo (“Star Wars: The Last Jedi”) have also been cast in the adaptation of the graphic novel series, which was created by author Greg Rucka and illustrator Leandro Fernández.

The new names join the previously announced KiKi Layne, Marwan Kenzari, Matthias Schoenaerts and Luca Marinelli in the upcoming movie.

The story, published in 2017 by Image, centers on old soldiers who never die, finding themselves trapped in immortality without explanation.

The film will tell the story of a small covert group of immortal mercenaries who must fight to keep their team together when they discover the existence of a new immortal and their extraordinary abilities are exposed. Filming is underway in the U.K.

Partner Content

Gina Prince-Bythewood (“Love & Basketball”) directs. Rucka and Prince-Bythewood have adapted the graphic novel for the screen. Rucka also exec produces, alongside Stan Wlodkowski.

dex14 05-07-20 12:52 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...787935145d.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...4ccfbb5ce5.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...9274298172.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...3ed7eea83d.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...724586cd2f.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...6b8f8e246d.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...cf5513e9e6.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...34c6771e1a.jpg

Her name is Andromache of Scythia. She was born thousands of years ago, and has died hundreds of times—only to resurrect and fight again and again and again. She hides from the world but fearlessly confronts its darker corners, weaving in and out of history and mythology. In 425 B.C., she inspired the hero from one of Euripides’s only surviving plays; in the 1860s she was a soldier for the Union in the Civil War, and she is still picking up the club, the sword, the gun for every good fight she can find. Her name literally means “man-fighter” or “battler of men.”

But she goes by “Andy” now.

Charlize Theron plays the warrior in the upcoming Netflix film The Old Guard, which picks up with Andromache in the present day. She’s still living off the grid and leading a tactical vigilante team of other immortals that takes out human traffickers, terrorists, and anyone else who preys on the vulnerable and the innocent. But she’s tired. Doubtful. Somewhat hopeless. After all these centuries, the world just seems to be becoming more cruel and agonizing, not less so.

“It was important to feel the weight of thousands and thousands of years on her,” Theron told Vanity Fair. “The worst part for her is just feeling like she’s not doing anything. So what is the point, you know? She’s lost faith, not just in herself but in humanity. I think a lot of people can relate to that at this moment in time. We go through periods in life where we just look at the world and go, Oh, my God… You just feel like you’re pushing a rock up a mountain.”

The film, which debuts on the streaming service on July 10, is directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood (Love & Basketball) from a screenplay by veteran comic book scribe Greg Rucka, adapted from his own graphic novel series with artist Leandro Fernandez. Theron serves as a producer, and for action fans it’s a return by the actor to Furiosa mode—throwing bone-breaking punches, making daring escapes, and detonating vast swaths of desert. The actor hopes there’s some meaning within the mayhem too.

“From the first moment I read Rucka’s graphic novel, I felt like there was great potential to make this thing feel really very relevant and have it ask some real questions about humanity,” Theron said. “Is what we’re doing enough? Is what we’re doing actually changing anything? Are we making [things] better, or are we making the world worse?”

Prince-Bythewood aimed for a tone that was more authentic than fantastic, drawing inspiration from films like Zero Dark Thirty and Man on Fire rather than superhero comic book epics. “I never wanted any moment to take an audience out of the fact that these could be real people,” the filmmaker said. “This is somebody that can get stabbed and walk away, but it’s going to hurt.… This is a woman alive 6,000 years, and we come to her at the point where she wants it over.”

Andy’s team is comprised of fellow immortals, whom she has united from various conflicts over the ages. None of them know how or why they have this supernatural ability. One is a French soldier who fought alongside Napoleon (Rust and Bone’s Matthias Schoenaerts) and two are former enemies from the Crusades—one who fought for the Italian Christian invaders (Every Blessed Day’s Luca Marinelli) and one who fought for the Muslim forces (Aladdin’s Marwan Kenzari). Those two are not just allies now, but have also forged a centuries-old romance. Immortal life is easier if you can share it with someone.

“This is an elite, small army of people with a great set of abilities. They don’t die easily,” Theron said. While their ranks don’t typically shrink, they also haven’t added any teammates for a long time. Then a new immortal turns up—a U.S. Marine named Nile Freeman, played by KiKi Layne (If Beale Street Could Talk). Nile discovers her bizarre rejuvenation powers after being killed in action on a mission in the Middle East. Her new life hits her even harder than her death.

“I almost feel like she has to go through all the stages of grief, in a way. Mourning herself and mourning her life that she lived,” Layne told Vanity Fair. “I feel like when she starts off, there’s a lot of denial: Why was I chosen to carry this responsibility, of all the people in the world? … Something like this has to be purposeful.”

Nile becomes like a much younger sister to Andy, someone who galvanizes the ancient warrior out of her cynicism. Taking care of this frightened, confused newborn (of sorts) restores her will to keep on living. “I love the thought of taking that veteran–rookie conceit and putting it in this,” said Prince-Bythewood. “The moment that Andy wants it all over and done with is when a new immortal shows up. Their relationship is the emotional core throughout the film.”

After so many years hunting down bad guys, the team has become a target itself. Chiwetel Ejiofor, star of 12 Years a Slave and Doctor Strange, plays a CIA operative and historian who has figured out their identities, and Harry Melling (recently in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs but perhaps best known as Dudley from the Harry Potter films) costars as a pharma executive who aligns with him to capture the team and harvest whatever it is that gives them all their powers. If that doesn’t destroy them, it will turn them into lab rats forever. While recruiting and training their new immortal, the members of the Old Guard are also fighting for their endless lives.

Like actual siblings, Andy and Nile forge their first bond through abject brawling. Nile does not want to go along on this ride, and she pushes back as hard as she can while being taken away by Andy on a cargo plane.

“We kicked off filming with shooting the fight,” said Layne, who’s new to the action genre. “Day one, I did have to get through the nerves of, like, Don’t accidentally hit her! Oh, my God, if you hit her, you’ll never work in Hollywood again.… But then once we got on set, it was really dope working with Charlize. She’s done this. She is a pro at this. Also, it was dope for me to be kicking ass for the first time.”

Theron said she felt the same burst of energy. “I love the line where Andy says to Nile, ‘You came into my life to make me remember what it was like to feel invincible.’ Maybe it’s because I’m hitting my mid-40s, [but] there is a part of that that I really related to. I feel like you need young people to kind of reenergize you.”

After 6,000 years, you’re as young as you feel.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...-the-old-guard

Perkinsun Dzees 05-21-20 09:40 AM

Re: The Old Guard (2020, D: Gina Prince-Bythewood) S: Theron, Ejiofor -- Netflix

Looks like a lot of fun. I'll watch anything with Charlize Theron in it.

csant 05-21-20 10:27 AM

Re: The Old Guard (2020, D: Gina Prince-Bythewood) S: Theron, Ejiofor -- Netflix

Shit, looks interesting.

devilshalo 05-21-20 10:57 AM

I liked it.. as I mentioned, when I first posted about this, it sorta felt like an extension of Hancock without the superpowers and the ending (if left in) makes for an immediate sequel.

Superman07 05-21-20 09:47 PM

Not aware of the property or this was getting made. Trailer looks good!! It’s like Highlander mixed with Live, Die, Repeat.

Superman07 07-02-20 10:03 AM

New trailer. Looks a lot of fun. I really hope it’s good!!

Deftones 07-04-20 10:12 PM

Reviews starting to hit: https://www.ign.com/articles/netflix...d-movie-review

Dr. DVD 07-08-20 08:20 PM

The first GN is available on Kindle Unlimited if you have it, and I also have Netflix, so will give it a shot.

csant 07-10-20 01:26 PM

Just finished watching this and I liked it ALOT. Theron is awesome as usual... loved the ending and can't wait for more.

Why So Blu? 07-10-20 09:13 PM

Yup, just finished it and thought it was badass. It's Highlander remixed, and I do hope they keep it going. :thumbsup:

csant 07-11-20 01:54 AM

There were some fight scenes that I had to pause and rewind and see it again. Some cool fucking shit. They have to make another one... that ending was big.

Meathead 07-11-20 05:42 AM

Yeah it was great. The fight scenes and they way they fought together was incredible. More please, now.

Cellar Door 07-11-20 11:56 AM

I thought this was entertaining, if more than a bit silly. The dialogue is clunky and aside from Theron the acting is at best serviceable. The action is well-done and it moves along at a brisk pace--typical of other Netflix action movies like the recent Extraction. I'd watch a sequel if they make one.

Troy Stiffler 07-11-20 12:20 PM

Way better than average Netflix exclusives. They did good with comradery and teamwork from the main characters. I’d watch sequels.

E Unit 07-11-20 01:02 PM

You all have pretty much said everything I had in mind after watching this. Great movie, great cast, good story and not too cliched on any level. I’d love 2-3 sequels of this.

Or maybe perhaps a really well done 2-3 seasons should they go that route.

RichC2 07-11-20 10:21 PM

Nothing great but I'd gladly watch the sequel. The action choreography was fantastic though, and I'm glad they had a
Spoiler:
proper final kill

I think it'd be hard to get a few of the stars for a series but a few months for movie shoots should be do-able.

Perkinsun Dzees 07-12-20 08:15 PM

This movie kicked ass. Netflix needs to greenlight a sequel.

Brack 07-13-20 01:41 AM

Guess I got to be the one who found it utterly unremarkable. The set up was way more interesting than the actual movie. I just didn’t find the characters very engaging or well developed enough for me to care about their plight. Felt more like a pilot for a tv show than a movie. The movie leaves a lot of questions unanswered, but that’s okay because the questions weren't that interesting anyway. The action was fine, and the actors at least try with what they were given. I’d give it a D+/C-.

csant 07-13-20 09:28 AM

Give me a movie you like? I just want to compare and see why you thought, what you thought. Because I think you saw the wrong movie. lol

RichC2 07-13-20 10:03 AM

I understand most of Brack's complaints. To me, the background is more interesting than the story they chose to tell, and the characters are pretty forgettable. Also, for all the talk about the action scenes, as well executed as they are, they were few and far apart.

Still, mostly enjoyed it.

Dan1boy 07-13-20 10:41 AM

We watched both this and "Palm Springs" this weekend. Truly a fantastic time with both films. For different reasons, of course. Both are exemplary.

Unclejosh 07-13-20 10:44 AM

I enjoyed it but I HATED the fact that they made Andy lose her immortality. First never happened in the comics. But that isnt why I hated it. I hated it because it is now a trope in pretty much ALL superhero movies and shows that the writer must somehow depower the hero in order to up the stakes which is bullshit. Yes i know the creater and writer of the comic did this too but I feel it is lazy and a cheap way to artificially add tension that doesnt need to be there in the first place. Be creative. Ugh it bothers me so much no matter which movie or show does it. You can keep your hero powerful and still make their "quest" hard to overcome. I have zero interest in watching powered people have no powers yet still basically doing the same thing yet pretending to be hurt. It takes me out of it EVERY TIME.

I hope if this does continue that she somehow gets it back and no mention is made of it again.