Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
6.09%
13.04%
23.48%
17.39%
16.52%
8.70%
6.09%
3.48%
0%
0.87%
2.61%
What are you high?
1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Since the good guys can have force ghosts who can now interact with the real world (yoda calling lighting and luke lifting ship) I think Palpatine would have worked better as a force ghost who then takes a solid form when he sucks the mojo from rey and ben at the end.
The issue there is that then you'd have to explain that he really is dead this time because he had assumed a corporeal form or something. I mean, you can do it, but it's more mumbo jumbo exposition in a film series that has it's fair share of it.
Old 12-20-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I saw it last night and thought it was a mess. I loved TFA, tolerated TLJ, and thought JJ could finish this off, but I was disappointed. The worst of the new movies. (Including Solo and RO)
Old 12-20-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
The issue there is that then you'd have to explain that he really is dead this time because he had assumed a corporeal form or something. I mean, you can do it, but it's more mumbo jumbo exposition in a film series that has it's fair share of it.
It just seems to me like a ghost form would more easily explain how he made it from the middle of an exploded death star near Endor all the way to the sith homeworld and installed himself in the puppet machine when he was clearly unable to really do anything himself (hence the puppet machine).

I think him actually being dead and using his "darth plaegus/back from the dead" knowledge to save himself through rey and ben would stick better with the end of ROTJ. Now Vader throws him down the well and the emperor just thinks "whatever, I'll try again in 30 years".
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (12-20-19)
Old 12-20-19, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
My only spoiler concession at this time:

At least we know why The Mandalorian made such a big deal about the Force healing power the day before The Rise of Skywalker came out.
I haven't watched Mando, but I thought the Chekov's Gun was really hitting you over the head. Like, healing seems like one of the most obvious and easily-acceptable things you could do with the Force, so I felt that they should have nixed the first example with the Basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets there.
Old 12-20-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

This is pretty much my thoughts...
https://nerdist.com/article/star-war...poiler-review/
Old 12-20-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

In the expanded novels, the jedi could go into "healing trances" to heal themselves. Took a while and lots of concentration though. This new insta-heal stuff I think is almost as game breaking as the "holdo maneuver" that Rise of Skywalker tried to retcon.

Ben brought Rey back from the dead...she wasn't injured, she was dead. If only Anakin knew how to do this, which came to Ben and Rey so easily, he could have just let Padme die like his vision and brought her right back. Maybe instead of killing himself to save her, he could have formed a prayer circle of jedi so they each gave a bit.
Old 12-20-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

As opposed to what we actually got? How was the explanation in the movie any clearer?

Old 12-20-19, 10:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

"Fine, We'll Do It Your Way" The Movie.

Sufficiently entertaining, but lacking in too many ways to be well-regarded as time lets us reflect on the entire trilogy and larger saga.

In short: this ain't it.
IBJoel (12-20-19)
Old 12-20-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

LOL. I just spent several minutes with one of the 20-something teachers I do IT support for, talking about TROS. He gave me a list of things he had problems with during the movie. He did admit that he went into the movie as an "angry young man" as opposed to the child he was when he first started watching the Star Wars films, and even said, "I'm probably just over-analyzing some of this stuff."

As the wise old Jedi, I told him I approach every Star Wars movie with a sense of wonder, realizing hey, this is not my story to tell, I am just here to feel the way I felt when I first saw "Star Wars" in 1977. And I literally did feel that way last night. I did not choose to over-think conveniences, etc., as I mentioned in my review. I went in to enjoy the last Skywalker episode. I find you have to approach every single movie on its own terms, whether animated, sci-fi, action (tried to over-think a Fast and Furious movie? It does not work that way), literally any genre. I have a very broad palate, and that's because I expect to get at least some enjoyment out of everything I see, but on the terms of the film I am watching at the moment.

And yes, I expect to apply that same attitude to "1917" when I watch it next week, and write my review.

I have spoken.
Old 12-20-19, 10:54 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Orbi-Wan’s review pretty much summed up how I felt about the film. Had a great time seeing it morning. I look forward to seeing it at least a couple of more times in theaters.
Old 12-20-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
LOL. I just spent several minutes with one of the 20-something teachers I do IT support for, talking about TROS. He gave me a list of things he had problems with during the movie. He did admit that he went into the movie as an "angry young man" as opposed to the child he was when he first started watching the Star Wars films, and even said, "I'm probably just over-analyzing some of this stuff."

As the wise old Jedi, I told him I approach every Star Wars movie with a sense of wonder, realizing hey, this is not my story to tell, I am just here to feel the way I felt when I first saw "Star Wars" in 1977. And I literally did feel that way last night. I did not choose to over-think conveniences, etc., as I mentioned in my review. I went in to enjoy the last Skywalker episode. I find you have to approach every single movie on its own terms, whether animated, sci-fi, action (tried to over-think a Fast and Furious movie? It does not work that way), literally any genre. I have a very broad palate, and that's because I expect to get at least some enjoyment out of everything I see, but on the terms of the film I am watching at the moment.

And yes, I expect to apply that same attitude to "1917" when I watch it next week, and write my review.

I have spoken.
That's all well and good, but what if you went into the movie wanting to feel like you did when you saw the original and the movie doesn't deliver? Is it ok to be disappointed? Or are you just wrong?
Old 12-20-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Oh, and interestingly The Mandalorian did set up the new force healing power Rey and Kylo displayed.

Indeed.

Old 12-20-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Didn't love or hate it. Went in with lowered expectations. And it was fairly predictable. It wrapped everything up in a neat little package to undo most of the problems it put itself in. I wouldn't say it ignored TLJ, but it did work better in context with Force Awakens.
Old 12-20-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Indeed.

Fuck - another moment ruined by retconning!
Obi-Wanma (12-21-19)
Old 12-20-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
In the expanded novels, the jedi could go into "healing trances" to heal themselves. Took a while and lots of concentration though. This new insta-heal stuff I think is almost as game breaking as the "holdo maneuver" that Rise of Skywalker tried to retcon.

Ben brought Rey back from the dead...she wasn't injured, she was dead. If only Anakin knew how to do this, which came to Ben and Rey so easily, he could have just let Padme die like his vision and brought her right back. Maybe instead of killing himself to save her, he could have formed a prayer circle of jedi so they each gave a bit.
There was that line in the prequels when Palpatine is turning Anakin and saying that only one Sith had mastered the art of bringing back the dead or something. Didn't they explore that in one of the novels? Was it Plagueis? Seems like there's more people/creatures out there that have that gift.
Old 12-20-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Fuck - another moment ruined by retconning!
But on the other hand, maybe it explains how the hell Darth Maul came back from being split in two. Unless a cartoon explained it somehow.
Old 12-20-19, 11:21 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Great... "I have spoken" is going to be run into the ground now.
Old 12-20-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
But on the other hand, maybe it explains how the hell Darth Maul came back from being split in two. Unless a cartoon explained it somehow.
I think he was cloned or some shit. They did explain what had happened there.
Old 12-20-19, 11:31 AM

I think he was cloned or some shit. They did explain what had happened there.
He wasn't cloned. He survived and was given robotic legs. It is in The Clone Wars cartoon.
Old 12-20-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
He wasn't cloned. He survived and was given robotic legs. It is in The Clone Wars cartoon.

Ah, gotcha. Never watched the show. Wow, so he gets cut in half but is just given new legs? Makes sense...

Old 12-20-19, 11:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Ah, gotcha. Never watched the show. Wow, so he gets cut in half but is just given new legs? Makes sense...

It’s silly, but no sillier than a dozen other things in each and every film. It’s fluffy space opera, leave brain at home.
Old 12-20-19, 11:39 AM

<iframe width="645" height="363" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q7H_Zpigqvg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-20-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this last night with a friend.

On first viewing, I feel in the middle of the road about it, especially having re-watched The Last Jedi a few hours before (which wasn't without faults either).

I enjoyed many of the action sequences but the film seems a bit allergic to any sort of (real) character development. What we are given about Rey feels so slap-dash.

Didn't care for any of the Palpatine twists. Loved Lando. Liked Babu Frik. More Zorii Bliss.

Others have mentioned it already but so much of what this film does erases the films before it, which is confusing as J.J. Abrams was responsible for the first film.

On a random note, I sat next to probably the most disgusting person in the entire theater, so part of me wonders if I was distracted by that. Constantly getting belched, coughed & leaned on, as well as dealing with the scent of cheap alcohol was a bit obnoxious.

I'm seeing this a few more times with a couple different friends in the next week or so. Hopefully, I'll get to dig into the film a bit more.
JTH182 (12-20-19)
Old 12-20-19, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Saw this last night with a friend.

On a random note, I sat next to probably the most disgusting person in the entire theater, so part of me wonders if I was distracted by that. Constantly getting belched, coughed & leaned on, as well as dealing with the scent of cheap alcohol was a bit obnoxious.
Get your friend some help.
Old 12-20-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I liked that 3PO was given some important stuff to do in this film, but I don’t get why R2 has kind of gotten the shaft most of this trilogy. BB-8 can go along and we get D-O introduced but I guess R2 is just too much?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.