Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
6.09%
13.04%
23.48%
17.39%
16.52%
8.70%
6.09%
3.48%
0%
0.87%
2.61%
What are you high?
1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 12-20-19, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Going tonight as I’m anxious to see how much it undoes of TLJ. My greatest hope is that it works as a Sequel to TFA and I just have to watch Episode 7 & 9. That’s sort of the upside of Disney not having a plan compared to the PT where they all work as 1 story so you have to the whole Trilogy and can see it as EU material.
Old 12-20-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

As someone who loves TLJ, I didn't feel shit on like some are saying. If anything, a lot of the themes were continued in this one, like where all the ships show up at the end (which was a great moment and that had to be the first time the Star Wars theme appeared in the body of the film, right?).

Did I miss what it was that Finn wanted to tell Rey? Was that just dropped?
Old 12-20-19, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, and interestingly The Mandalorian did set up the new force healing power Rey and Kylo displayed.
Old 12-20-19, 07:02 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Who is coincidentally Ewan McGregor’s real life uncle.
I mean... yea... it's 20 year old information...
Old 12-20-19, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I mean... yea... it's 20 year old information...
I mean...to be more condescending...that dude didn’t recognize Wedge at all. So presumably...some people don’t know that...even if you and I do.
Old 12-20-19, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I liked it .. yeah, there was a lot packed in, but I think it was a bit of a no win ... you try to tie up to much or you tied up too little.

I was happy that this was the first movie to really use 3PO well since the OT.

With Palpatine back in the trailers ... I was half expecting to see a dead Jedi versus dead Sith battle ... but what they did was actually pretty cool.

Old 12-20-19, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
As someone who loves TLJ, I didn't feel shit on like some are saying.
I don't know if you're referring to me, but I didn't say I felt shit on personally. It's the Last Jedi that was shit on. I get that's what some wanted, but it was so blatant and unnecessary. I didn't love Last Jedi, but I still can't believe some people were so bent out of shape at Luke throwing a lightsaber to the point that such a silly thing even had to be addressed in the actual movie with Mark Hamill basically looking at the screen and winking at if to say "yeah, I didn't like that movie either!" Thematically speaking, the whole thesis of Last Jedi was about killing the past and that anyone could be a hero and rise up and within like 10 minutes RoS is like "Nope, Rey's actually a Palpatine and by the way, no one showed up to your silly call for help. Fuck you broom kid."

As for the movie being well directed like some are saying, I'm just not seeing it. If anything, this made me appreciate how much better directed Last Jedi was. RoS is like a 2.5 hour sugar rush for the ADD generation. There may have been some memorable shots/visuals, but the movie is so crammed and rushed that none of it lingers for more than 2 seconds.
Old 12-20-19, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by greydttwo
It was inferred Finn is force sensitive, and that’s likely what he wanted to tell her.
I thought they were going to pull some "I'm in love with you" bullshit. I felt that is what they were implying.
Old 12-20-19, 07:46 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overall for me, this movie was like 2 movies mashed together, on fast forward. There some good moments, great moments, and some moments that felt too pandering. Narratively, it’s a bit of a mess where moments are stitched together to close out the story.

Did I miss what it was that Finn wanted to tell Rey? Was that just dropped?
It was inferred Finn is force sensitive, and that’s likely what he wanted to tell her.
Old 12-20-19, 07:54 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought they were going to pull some "I'm in love with you" bullshit. I felt that is what they were implying.
Ha, yeah that’s what I thought too but then they started hammering you with Finn’s force talk at the end.
Old 12-20-19, 08:08 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Star Wars: Fan Service
or
Star Wars: Resurrections

Overall, it was mostly fun and I’ll likely watch it regularly, but it was probably the worst of all the SW films to date.
Old 12-20-19, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Found it amusing that there were so many female voiced First Order troopers after literally having none aside from Phasma in the first two ST movies. It’s kind of jarring. Would have been better if they had that consistent through the movies rather than just inject it in the final movie.
Old 12-20-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Found it amusing that there were so many female voiced First Order troopers after literally having none aside from Phasma in the first two ST movies. It’s kind of jarring. Would have been better if they had that consistent through the movies rather than just inject it in the final movie.
I was constantly distracted by the female presence in the First Order throughout the entire trilogy. That's not me bring sexist or anything, it's just that if growing up Star Wars taught me anything, it was that the good guys are freedom loving Americans of any race or gender, and that the bad guys are white British dudes.
Old 12-20-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I don't know if you're referring to me, but I didn't say I felt shit on personally. It's the Last Jedi that was shit on. I get that's what some wanted, but it was so blatant and unnecessary. I didn't love Last Jedi, but I still can't believe some people were so bent out of shape at Luke throwing a lightsaber to the point that such a silly thing even had to be addressed in the actual movie with Mark Hamill basically looking at the screen and winking at if to say "yeah, I didn't like that movie either!" Thematically speaking, the whole thesis of Last Jedi was about killing the past and that anyone could be a hero and rise up and within like 10 minutes RoS is like "Nope, Rey's actually a Palpatine and by the way, no one showed up to your silly call for help. Fuck you broom kid."

As for the movie being well directed like some are saying, I'm just not seeing it. If anything, this made me appreciate how much better directed Last Jedi was. RoS is like a 2.5 hour sugar rush for the ADD generation. There may have been some memorable shots/visuals, but the movie is so crammed and rushed that none of it lingers for more than 2 seconds.
I should have been more clear, by "some" I meant the critics who were saying that and not anyone here. My mistake. I felt like Finn carried on the "anyone can be a hero" theme, though. (I mean, I could have lived without the granddaughter stuff myself, and I half-expected Finn to tell Rey they were third-cousins and Poe to chime in that he was her uncle by the end of this thing.) And I thought the call to help did pay off nicely at the end.
Old 12-20-19, 08:38 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (PG-13) NON SPOILER REVIEW J.J. and company admirably and amazingly wrap up 42 years of story-telling with grace, dignity, humor, thrills and chills, and give real Star Wars fans the closure they need

Forty-two years is a long time to stick with generally a single-threaded movie saga. However, I have been there since the beginning and feel I have the cred to say, “Well Done!” I saw the first movie when it was just called “Star Wars” way back in 1977 when I was 17 years old. My first review was for Star Wars, published in my high school newspaper, complete with my sketches of X-wings and TIE fighters battling above the Death Star. I stood in line 8 hours in 1980 to see “The Empire Strikes Back”, and witnessed my very first cosplayers - a Darth Vader and a Stormtrooper. In 1983, while other sailors from my ship went to the beach on liberty, I made a beeline to the nearest movie theater to see “Return of the Jedi”. My wife, my son and I were at the opening night of every prequel and the Special Editions. I have cosplayed Obi-Wan at the openings of “The Force Awakens”, “The Last Jedi”, and now “The Rise of Skywalker.” I have seen every episode of “The Clone Wars” (both versions), “Rebels” and most recently “The Mandalorian”. I am still working through the animated series “Resistance”.

So I am a bit befuddled and dismayed at most of the negativity, hate, and scorn being hurled at “The Rise of Skywalker.” Cries of “pandering to the fans” and so forth resonate in the reviews with the most scathing reactions. I knew all this when I walked into my screen, fully prepared for at least some disappointment, much as I was for parts of “The Last Jedi.”

But guess what? Last night, this old Jedi felt like he was 17, and 20, and 23 again. Director J.J. Abrams and his crew took the best parts of what made us fall in love with the Star Wars series in the first place, and made them fun and most importantly, relevant to a story intended to cap a nine-film space opera. I laughed, I teared up, I held my breath, I yelled, I applauded, I sat on the edge of my seat. I was blessed with the gift of an outstanding movie experience with characters - human, non-human, and droid - I have come to love over four decades.

So what if there were a couple of Macguffins, convenient coincidences, some walking-back of specific ideas from “The Last Jedi”, and at least one ex deus machina plot point? Those types of things are scattered throughout the entire Star Wars saga, to be honest. I was not even bothered by the reveal of Rey’s heritage and in fact, expected it. It was not J.J.’s job to introduce new threats nor create yet another cliffhanger for Rey, Finn and Poe to face. The job was to complete the Skywalker saga, and yes, the saga is definitively finished. Could Rey, Finn, Poe and company have other adventures NOT tied to the original saga? Absolutely.

Okay, some non-spoiler specifics. C3PO finally gets to shine and be relevant to the story, and actually has a lot of the best lines. We are introduced to more delightful non-human species, some folks from Poe’s past, and individuals who can relate to Finn’s situation. Leia’s key role in everything, a new type of droid (yay, another Funko Pop for Mrs. Orbi-Wan), visits to familiar locations, an AWESOME lightsaber battle on the wreckage of the Endor Death Star, some ingenious ground-battle strategy (remember, we’re talking SPACE OPERA here), the new crew team actually spending more time together, and so much more. Oh, we must not forget John Williams’ bombastic and essential score, which echoes a LOT of the original trilogy. Yes, I was a happy Jedi all the way throughout, and I would rank “The Rise of Skywalker” as one of my favorites. I think it will only get better with addition viewings.

There is so much to appreciate in “The Rise of Skywalker”. I realize everyone will have their own opinions, and this is mine. I am giving “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers. I have spoken.

NOTES TO PARENTS: NO SPOILERS Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is rated PG-13 for sci-fi action and peril. C3PO is told to move his “golden a$$”. There are a few hell and d**n. There are very dark and tense scenes between some of our heroes and Palpatine. That’s all I think I need to say here.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: There are no mid- or after-credit scenes.

LIKE and SHARE the review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES with family and friends!

ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under CREATIVE COMMONS.

Old 12-20-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

This just didn't work for me. This entire sequel trilogy was inconsequential and a failure.
This. I really liked some of the smaller moments (primarily fan service stuff) and thought Billy Dee was great in this (he should have been given even more screen time), but wow, that overall plot/story arc was a big mess, and yeah, the Emperor's back, but this movie doesn't earn that return - it's basically just another round of the cackling, no reason to be here but to represent "evil" Emperor we got in ROTJ, rather than the one George Lucas gave some attention to in his prequel trilogy. His motives/actions in this movie don't make a whole lot of logical sense.

The other issue here (and honestly, it's been an issue in all three of the Disney trilogy films) is there is no big, fun action sequence that blows you away in it's originality. No Death Star trench run, no AT-AT attack, no speeder bike chase, no podrace...even the lightsaber stuff lacks any originality (there's nothing even as good as Rian Johnson's Snoke/Rey/Kylo showdown from the last film). So the action sequences we do get have a been there/done that feel to them. There's nothing that makes you go "wow"! Or gives you a sense of exhilaration.

This isn't the WORST Star Wars movie, but it ranks low on the list for me. In the end, these final three movies really have no need to exist at all - they add pretty much NOTHING to the Skywalker story or what George Lucas did in his six films. Sure, this film is going to make a LOT of money, but it doesn't change the fact that - Mandalorian series aside - Disney and Lucasfilm have a REAL Star Wars problem.

Also, given all the other "fan service" moments in this movie, I was disappointed we didn't get
Spoiler:
a cameo from Hayden Christensen at some point. I thought for sure he might pop up as a force ghost, but no.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 12-20-19 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-20-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Apparently Hayden is one of the voices talking to Rey at the end, but I didn't pick him out during the film. Not sure if he came in and recorded it or if it was archival material.

Old 12-20-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Spoiler:
Apparently Hayden is one of the voices talking to Rey at the end, but I didn't pick him out during the film. Not sure if he came in and recorded it or if it was archival material.

Spoiler:
Yeah, I guess he was, but that character deserves more than to be lumped in with those other Jedi voices. He deserved a bigger moment. Oh well, missed opportunity.
Old 12-20-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Isn’t this a spoiler thread?
Old 12-20-19, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This. I really liked some of the smaller moments (primarily fan service stuff) and thought Billy Dee was great in this (he should have been given even more screen time)
I was surprised by how good he was in the little bit he had. I say that because in the interviews for the press tour he doesn't seem to be all there anymore.
Old 12-20-19, 09:10 AM

These were apparently all the Jedi voices:

Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor / Alec Guinness)
Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson)
Yoda (Frank Oz)
Mace Windu (Samuel L. Jackson)
Ahsoka Tano (Ashley Eckstein)
Kanan Jarrus (Freddie Prinze Jr.)
Aayla Secura (Jennifer Hale)
Adi Gallia (Angelique Perrin)
Luminara Unduli (Olivia d’Abo)
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...oices-spoilers
Old 12-20-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't wait to hear Rian Johnson comment on this. Whether you like TLJ or not, this movie went out of its way to scold TLJ. I thought Rey as Palpatine's granddaughter was a terrible idea but whatever. (If JJ knew what he wanted to do with his mystery box, he could have told Rian to leave it alone. Changing it after the fact is letting an angry fan base write your movie. As I said before, she could have just been someone Palpatine had kept an eye on due to her strong force connection and the story beats could have remained the same). However, there were lots of other wink nods to what fans hated about TLJ.

Rey throws lightsaber into fire, Luke scolds her about a jedi throwing away his weapon.
Meriadoc Brandybuck says they need to "Holdo" those ships and Finn says "no, that was a one in a million"
Rey wants to hide on the island like Luke, he says "that was a mistake" (this one could be argued since it was TFA that put him in hiding in the first place)

I feel like these 3 throwaway scenes gave the appearance of going out of their way to address gripes that didn't need addressing.

What was with Lando and the orphan at the end....they made it seem like they were implying they were related when she asked where he was from. I'd have to watch it again to see if she told Finn she was from the same system Lando mentions at the end.

Since the good guys can have force ghosts who can now interact with the real world (yoda calling lighting and luke lifting ship) I think Palpatine would have worked better as a force ghost who then takes a solid form when he sucks the mojo from rey and ben at the end.
Old 12-20-19, 09:18 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I thought the twist that 4-LOM is Rey’s dad was pretty weak, but the end credit song by Macklemore had my audience dancing in the aisles.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mabuse:
IBJoel (12-20-19), Obi-Wanma (12-21-19), Paul_SD (12-20-19)
Old 12-20-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I definitely wouldn’t say this is the worst Star Wars movie. That just feels like a cliche Comic Book Guy: “worst (insert whatever geeky thing) ever” quote someone says after seeing the latest movie or whatever. It isn’t the best either, but I probably would put it somewhere in the middle upon first viewing. Definitely liked it more than The Last Jedi and Attack of the Clones, which to me are the low points of the saga.
Old 12-20-19, 09:35 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My only spoiler concession at this time:

At least we know why The Mandalorian made such a big deal about the Force healing power the day before The Rise of Skywalker came out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.