Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
6.09%
13.04%
23.48%
17.39%
16.52%
8.70%
6.09%
3.48%
0%
0.87%
2.61%
What are you high?
1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 03:54 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Wtf is a shipper?
Old 12-31-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
Wtf is a shipper?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Shipper
Old 12-31-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Boyega is done with the bullshit Currently poppin off on Twitter on Rey kylo shippers
This is what started it:
JOHN BOYEGA Pisses Off 'Star Wars' Fans WITH 'LAYING PIPE' JOKE ABOUT REY

Last edited by brayzie; 12-31-19 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-31-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

I really don't understand social media. Why does John Boyega care about that at all?
Old 12-31-19, 04:24 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I’m so confused.

But back to the subject of Rose. I’ve said it before but she doesn’t even have a cool costume. It’s Star Wars. 75% of it is cool costuming. She’s like the one character that wears street clothes while everyone else is in cool future costumes.
Old 12-31-19, 04:25 PM

Probably because he’s a dude in his 20s.
Old 12-31-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
I really don't understand social media. Why does John Boyega care about that at all?
I think these days Hollywood actors are expected to have a strong Twitter presence. If your followers are too low, it's perceived as detracting from your value. You have actors like Ryan Reynolds who have people that manage it for him, which makes it very entertaining, and in turn, people follow him in droves.
Old 12-31-19, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

For those in the audience who need this

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-kyl...m-john-boyega/

John Boyega Throws Shade at Rey & Kylo Ren Relationship | Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Star Wars : Just Jared
Old 12-31-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Wtf is a shipper?
Anyone who thinks Star Wars fandom is toxic probably didn't scan livejournals when Buffy the Vampire Slayer was still on the air and the "Season 8" comics were coming out. I remember hoping that Joss Whedon wore a bullet proof vest out in public because some of those "Spuffies" were completely unhinged.

This was before social media took over the 'net, and most of the madness was mostly contained in their own little ponds (LJs, blogs, and boards) and celebrities weren't as accessible as they are now.
Old 01-01-20, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Just saw it....man, what a mess this trilogy is/was. Trying to write these on the fly with no idea where it is going just leaves an incoherent mess.

TFA was just A New Hope Remix, totally pointless
TLJ at least tried to separate itself from the OT and introduce some new ideas
ROTS, just a spineless movie.

On the surface, these movies look great and may even be entertaining, but scratch at it even a bit and it falls apart.

There just wasnt a story to be told that warranted these to be made. They should have just made a sequel with the original cast, since that is what they use as a crutch throughout, or not make any more movies until they have an actual story to tell.

The only reason these are better than the prequel trilogies is because of the stronger actors and visual spectacle. At least the prequels tried.
Old 01-02-20, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

I wouldn't say the actors are stronger here than the prequels. I mean Liam Neeson, Sam Jackson, Natalie Portman & Ewan McGregor? Their shitty performances fall squarely on the director.

Visually I'd put them on par with each other but the new trilogy has much stronger action sequences.
Old 01-02-20, 08:50 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Not just shitty performances, but the dialogue. My god is it bad. Watching the prequels again on Disney +, and it’s still shocking how bad it is. Palpatine has the only good dialogue in that trilogy.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-02-20)
Old 01-02-20, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

The whole Reylo thing is just bizarre considering that the first thing Kylo does when he meets Rey in TFA is to torture her for information.

There's chemistry there, but it's because they're both struggling with the Force pulling them in opposite directions past each other, but they really don't make a good couple.

Rey saying she wanted to be with Ben and not Kylo is a good compromise for the whole thing.

Also, just wanted to point out that my speculation about Rey taking the name of Skywalker was sorta close. I expected her to take it as a title, but I didn't have a problem with her taking it as her actual name.

Old 01-02-20, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Not just shitty performances, but the dialogue. My god is it bad. Watching the prequels again on Disney +, and it’s still shocking how bad it is. Palpatine has the only good dialogue in that trilogy.
I started my series rewatch with Episode III thinking "It's kiiiiind of the OK one?" Nope! Dialogue and poorly-aged effects made it nearly unwatchable. I understand there are kids who grew up with the prequels (I myself was the ideal target age when each one came out), but man they've got to learn to admit that they aren't well-made films (although I think people in general need to accept that "I like it" =/= "it is therefore good").
The following users liked this post:
Brack (01-03-20)
Old 01-02-20, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I was watching Attack of the Clones the other day - take a shot anytime Anakin calls Kenobi "master" or someone says "m'lady" to Padme. You'll die of alcohol poisoning inside of 20 minutes.
Old 01-02-20, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Old 01-02-20, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The whole Reylo thing is just bizarre considering that the first thing Kylo does when he meets Rey in TFA is to torture her for information.

There's chemistry there, but it's because they're both struggling with the Force pulling them in opposite directions past each other, but they really don't make a good couple.

Rey saying she wanted to be with Ben and not Kylo is a good compromise for the whole thing.
I think it's funny how Disney positions itself to appear very progressive, and is lauded for stuff like "The Force is Female", and yet, in a culture where so much is "problematic," I'm surprised that ReyLo becoming a thing hasn't garnered more criticism.
Kylo Ren is essentially a school shooter, meets the female protagonist when he captures her and tortures her for information, kills her new father figure...and yet this strong, independent, female role model ends up falling for him? There was some very light criticism of Beauty and the Beast's Stockholm Syndrome, but it's Disney so some how that didn't get much traction.
Disney + Star Wars...not much of peep from the media. I'll have to check Woke Twitter to see if there's a strong reaction.

Also, just wanted to point out that my speculation about Rey taking the name of Skywalker was sorta close. I expected her to take it as a title, but I didn't have a problem with her taking it as her actual name.
It feels like they came up with the title and THEN fit the story around it.
It definitely was a feel good ending, but I think it would have been more appropriate for the exchange to be "Rey who?" "Just Rey." Meaning she's not anyone but herself. She's prover herself beyond being a Skywalker or Palpatine.
Old 01-02-20, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Pretty sure there's a line from Palpatine during the showdown about the power being a rare occurrence in Force users.

Though the idea of Force healers has been in the EU games and novels for years, I think it was written more along the lines of creating a calming aura around the patient that allowed them to heal faster, not an actual physical change like we saw Rey do, so that makes it a new thing.

But I did notice a parallel to that scene where Rey is holding the dying Kylo, looked very similar to that shot above.
Old 01-02-20, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Disney Sabotaged J.J. Abrams and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Not taking this story too seriously, but it is a fun read assuming the source was legit. The tidbits I thought was interesting:

Abrams’ original cut of the film in November was 3 hours and 2 minutes long, and that in January 2019 he had even suggested turning the movie into two films.
This ending reportedly featured Hayden Christensen, Ewan McGregor, Samuel L. Jackson, and other actors as Force ghosts, who surrounded and protected Rey from Emperor Palpatine and the Sith.
Finn wanted to tell Rey when they were falling through the sand, he was apparently supposed to tell her that he was Force sensitive.
However, the Reylo kiss was not Abrams idea, but was “Disney’s attempt to please both sides of the fandom.”

He also details that Abrams attempted to include the FinnPoe ship in the film, but Disney executives overruled him.

Old 01-02-20, 01:23 PM

"Why don’t you just put ‘directed and written by Lucasfilm’ then?"

I don't really buy any of that, but that is funny.
Old 01-02-20, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I am so glad that the internet wasn't around during the time of the OT. The movies were allowed to just exist without being ripped to shreds with "insider" exposes and endless thinkpieces. There is no way those movies would be as highly regarded if they were treated like this new trilogy has been. And this is coming from a lifelong SW fan.
The following 3 users liked this post by Draven:
IBJoel (01-02-20), Jediturtle (01-03-20), kefrank (01-02-20)
Old 01-02-20, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The fact that Disney had to beg JJ to come back to do Ep 9 after TLJ makes it unlikely they wouldn't give him final cut. I can see them pushing some ideas harder than others but at the same time it seems odd that Disney wouldn't want to milk the franchise for another movie and give us Ep 9 and 10. I feel JJ didn't want to deal with having to edit and promote two whole movies so he squeezed everything into one movie to be done with it all.
I haven't seen anything like this from my source, I'll keep an eye on their posts to see if they ever admit anything like this happened.
Old 01-02-20, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Empress Palpatine unleashed would have been phenomenal as opposed to what we got in that "what if" dream sequence.

/random thoughts
Old 01-03-20, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I am so glad that the internet wasn't around during the time of the OT. The movies were allowed to just exist without being ripped to shreds with "insider" exposes and endless thinkpieces. There is no way those movies would be as highly regarded if they were treated like this new trilogy has been. And this is coming from a lifelong SW fan.
I agree, as you could do this 'what if' scenario' with every SW movie after the original came out. ROTJ could have been a totally different movie back in 1983 as Lucas nixed the ST and condensed the whole story into Episode 6. If the Internet existed back in 1983, YouTubers would be whining that Gary Kurtz left, the other was Leia, the recycled Death Star, the Ewoks, etc. What annoys me even more is all of these whiners who want the 'JJ cut' would have ripped it to shreds if it were the movie that came out last month. I firmly believe there are a segment of fans who will never be happy (my best friend was bitching about TROS on the way to the movie so he is just a jaded fan at this point who needs to move on from the franchise.) We honestly haven't even talked much about TROS after seeing it together opening weekend because his complaints are the same old complaints we've heard since 1999. There is nothing wrong with walking away from a franchise as I did it with Terminator after Salvation, as there comes a point where they just aren't going to appeal to you anymore. SW fans need to remember the old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." This is like the 6th time they have been fooled now!
Old 01-03-20, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Empress Palpatine unleashed would have been phenomenal as opposed to what we got in that "what if" dream sequence.

/random thoughts
Had the TLJ gone in that direction and then if this film had Ben Solo trying to stop her..... that would've been pretty damn exciting.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.