Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Christmas Chronicles 2 (2020, D: Columbus) S: Russell, Hawn

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-19, 10:53 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

The movie was called The Christmas Chronicles, after all. So, we should have probably guessed more would be on the way.

Following the Kurt Russell Santa Claus comedy released in 2018, Netflix has set Russell’s return alongside wife Goldie Hawn as Mrs. Claus in The Christmas Chronicles 2. The streaming platform released a first-look image of the happy holiday couple in the sequel, which is being developed for a 2020 holiday release.

Clay Kaytis directed the first movie, but Chris Columbus, who helmed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets, will direct this next installment. Columbus also wrote the script with Matt Lieberman, who penned the screenplay for the first one.

The Christmas Chronicles 2 will return Darby Camp as Kate Pierce, who is unexpectedly reunited with Santa when Belsnickel, a mysterious, magical troublemaker, threatens to destroy Christmas. (Fans of The Office know what a Belsnickel is.) The best part is that Julian Dennison, the 17-year-old star behind trouble-making Ricky Baker in Taika Waititi’s The Hunt for the Wilderpeople and the fire-starting “Firefist” in Deadpool 2, will star as the Belsnickel.

Kimberly Williams Paisley (Claire) and Judah Lewis (Teddy) also return for the sequel, with Atlanta and The Oath actor Jahzir Bruno playing Jack.
https://ew.com/movies/2019/12/06/the...ll-goldie-hawn
Old 12-06-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: The Christmas Chronicles 2 (2020, D: Columbus) S: Russell, Hawn

I loved the first one and was all in for this until I read that the fat New Zealand kid from Deadpool 2 is gonna be in it. That fat shit should never have been allowed to be in a movie. I saw Wilderpeople as well and he was shit in that as well.
Old 12-09-19, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

The first one was a lot of fun. I'm sure we'll check this one out.
Old 12-09-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Bring it!! I thought the first one was great.
Old 09-15-20, 10:22 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Old 09-15-20, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Yay...I was wondering if a sequel was ever going to come out for this film so I now have an excuse to re-watch the first.
Old 09-15-20, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Wow, I was barely aware of the first one (just knew Kurt recently played Santa Claus). I'm interested to check it out now due to the many positive comments posted here.
Old 09-17-20, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Wow, I was barely aware of the first one (just knew Kurt recently played Santa Claus). I'm interested to check it out now due to the many positive comments posted here.
It's Breezy and fun and has little touches to it that make it especially charming. Glad they are making another.
Old 10-19-20, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

It’s been two years since siblings Kate (Darby Camp) and Teddy Pierce (Judah Lewis) saved Christmas, and a lot has changed. Kate, now a cynical teenager, is reluctantly spending Christmas in Cancun with her mom’s new boyfriend and his son Jack (Jahzir Bruno). Unwilling to accept this new version of her family, Kate decides to run away. But when a mysterious, magical troublemaker named Belsnickel threatens to destroy the North Pole and end Christmas for good, Kate and Jack are unexpectedly pulled into a new adventure with Santa Claus (Kurt Russell). Written and directed by Chris Columbus (Home Alone, Harry Potter) and co-starring Goldie Hawn, THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES 2 is an action-packed adventure for the whole family that’s full of heart, humor, and holiday spirit.

Old 10-20-20, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Cant wait, loved the first one
Old 11-25-20, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

This will be up Wednesday morning at 3am ET for those who have time to watch it tomorrow.
Old 11-27-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I loved the first one and was all in for this until I read that the fat New Zealand kid from Deadpool 2 is gonna be in it. That fat shit should never have been allowed to be in a movie. I saw Wilderpeople as well and he was shit in that as well.
Well that's not a very nice thing to say.
Old 11-27-20, 12:30 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

this was a fucking abomination.

it needed way more Kurt Russell and way less CGI elves.

so, so bad.

Old 11-27-20, 01:50 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

I loved the first movie. This was just ok. This one was made for young kids. I think the first one appealed to adults who got a kick out of seeing Jack Burton in the Santa suit.

Originally Posted by james2025a
I really disliked that kid in this movie. That was a bad casting choice. And it didn't help that his character was poorly written. The entire Belsnickel storyline was lame.
Old 11-27-20, 02:22 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I loved the first movie. This was just ok. This one was made for young kids. I think the first one appealed to adults who got a kick out of seeing Jack Burton in the Santa suit.

I really disliked that kid in this movie. That was a bad casting choice. And it didn't help that his character was poorly written. The entire Belsnickel storyline was lame.
that was the entire storyline then.

also Tyrese read his lines like he was in a 3rd grade play.
Old 11-27-20, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I thought the first one was great. This one was definitely sub par. It is what it is for a Netflix movie. If I paid for this as a separate rental, I would have been very disappointed.

The girl who plays the sister is still good though. She still gives a festive performance, so I can appreciate that.

Love Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn together on screen.

So I’m guessing Kurt needed a favor to fill that role, because Tyrese wasn’t the right choice for that character. He doesn’t look like a “child Christmas movies” kind of actor based on his past roles haha I still like him in the F&F series though.
Old 11-29-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I liked it fine, but I liked the first one more. I'd like to see some more installments or maybe at last one more to close out as a trilogy. I think it suffered a little with Judah Lewis having a reduced role. Weird casting with Tyrese, but I still enjoyed it. Just not as much as the original.
Old 11-29-20, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I thought Rudolph would show up in this film. But after some research, I had no idea that the character was still copyrighted and not public domain for use in new Christmas movies. Apparently the copyright expires in 2034.
Old 12-01-20, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

We watched it at the weekend and enjoyed it. Not as good as the first, but still entertaining and would be happy to see another.

The one thing i didnt like is the bad guy. That fat New Zeland kid cannot act to save his life and i have hated him in everything he has appeared. Deadpool 2 would have been so much better with someone else in the role.