Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Planet of the Apes - new movie in development (D: Wes Ball)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-03-19, 05:01 PM

The apes will live on. Deadline has confirmed that 20th Century Fox under its new parent Disney has tapped Maze Runner filmmaker Wes Ball to develop a new Planet of the Apes movie. Itís very early in the works, and itís not certain if this will pick up where Matt Reevesí War for the Planet of the Apes left off or if itís a complete remake.

Starting in 1968, the movies spawned 5 titles based on Pierre Bouleís French novel along with a í70s series and action figures before there were Star Wars toys. Tim Burton rebooted with one pic starring Mark Wahlberg in 2001. It earned $362.1M worldwide, but didnít spawn a new series. But then in 2011, Rise of the Planet of the Apes gave a more modern spin on the tale with Andy Serkis in the role of Caesar the ape, who morphs from lab study to king of the monkeys. Through three movies including Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and War, the trio grossed $1.68 billion around the globe.
https://deadline.com/2019/12/new-pla...ll-1202799757/
Old 12-03-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Planet of the Apes - new movie in development (D: Wes Ball)

The first movie had a teaser about a spacecraft "lost in space". I wonder if they'll reimagine the original using this plot point or if they'll come up with something else.
Old 12-03-19, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The first movie had a teaser about a spacecraft "lost in space". I wonder if they'll reimagine the original using this plot point or if they'll come up with something else.
I enjoyed the new trilogy quite a bit so I hope they continue that ďcycleĒ. If they decide not to continue on, a side-quel would work as well, I suppose.
Old 12-04-19, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may be in the minority on this but I always wanted a sequel that picked up where Tim Burton’s left off. I really liked that ending. It’s too bad the rest of the movie sucked for the most part.
Old 12-04-19, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want anymore from the recent trilogy. I'd like to see a reboot (potential trilogy) that focuses on George Taylor again. And I'd like to go back to the original "look" of the apes from the 60s/70s (or even Tim Burton's take). I can do without the "realistic" apes this time around.
Old 12-05-19, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I don't want anymore from the recent trilogy. I'd like to see a reboot (potential trilogy) that focuses on George Taylor again. And I'd like to go back to the original "look" of the apes from the 60s/70s (or even Tim Burton's take). I can do without the "realistic" apes this time around.
I'd like a combination. Continue from the modern trilogy, but have the apes change their look due to the virus or whatever so they're more upright and human looking. I don't really see the need to reboot yet again, there's still room for stories to be told.
Old 12-08-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I enjoyed the new trilogy quite a bit so I hope they continue that ďcycleĒ. If they decide not to continue on, a side-quel would work as well, I suppose.
Fear the Planet of the Apes?

Old 12-08-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
I may be in the minority on this but I always wanted a sequel that picked up where Tim Burtonís left off. I really liked that ending. Itís too bad the rest of the movie sucked for the most part.
Now that we have a good modern remake, an over the top sequel to Marky Mark and the Monkey Bunch could be interesting. Let someone like Lord and Miller do it, and keep them from screwing up Star Wars anymore.
Old 12-08-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was that Lord and Miller? Iím not sure you can smack the blame on them when you have an indecisive temperamental studio head who jettisons everything midstream and brings in a bland yes-boy to redo it. Their track record is better than hers.

Anyway, we digress ... definitely up for more Apes! I love that this is series that is willing to take risks and turn the franchise in new directions. I know the Burton version is pretty universally panned, but my only knock against it was that it really didnít bring anything new to the table.
Old 12-08-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really liked the recent trilogy. I could do without any new Apes movies for a while personally, but franchises are what sell now days.
Old 12-08-19, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm with the camp that this needs to "continue" where the most recent trilogy left off, which would essentially make it both a sequel and remake. Since the previous movies were done mostly from the POV of the apes, I think they should keep it that way. The first time we see Taylor could be when he's captured, and then the mystery of piecing together why he's unique can be the story. Basically, start from the end of the original movie and move backward.