Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Invisible Woman -- Director & Star: Elizabeth Banks

Old 11-26-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Invisible Woman -- Director & Star: Elizabeth Banks

https://deadline.com/2019/11/invisible-woman-elizabeth-banks-universal-director-star-1202795573/

BREAKING: Universal Pictures has put in development Invisible Woman, from an original pitch by Elizabeth Banks. Banks will direct and star in the film, and The Girl on the Train‘s Erin Cressida Wilson wrote the current draft.
UniversalBanks and Max Handelman will produce through their Brownstone Productions, which did the Pitch Perfect series and most recently Charlie’s Angels. Banks directed and co-starred in that recent release. Brownstone’s Alison Small will be executive producer.

It becomes the second disappearing act for Universal, based on the studio’s classic monster character. Blumhouse and Leigh Whannell have completed production on an Invisible Man, with Elisabeth Moss playing the widow of an abusive husband and fears he might still be around, only you can’t see him. I’m told Banks will be the one who turns invisible in the other film. These films are the result of a revamped strategy as the studio evolved its original plan to do each iconic franchise after the failure of The Mummy. Now, when they hear a good idea, they respond and they liked the one that Banks pitched. Another they like is Dark Army, a project Paul Feig pitched and will direct.

Banks and Brownstone Productions are represented by UTA, Untitled Entertainment and Ziffren Brittenham; Wilson is represented by Art/Work Entertainment and Schreck Rose.

Old 11-26-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Invisible Woman -- Director & Star: Elizabeth Banks

Let's see how off-putting Banks can be this time and why it's my fault.
Old 11-26-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If this film fails it's because of men.
Old 11-26-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She's a competent director, hope it turns out good.
Old 11-26-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Plot outline: Due to her invisibility superpower the Invisible Woman has the distinction of being the only actress in the world to not be jerked off upon by Harvey Weinstein. Using this to her advantage she sets out on a globe trotting adventure seeking revenge and vindication against patriarchal men. The villain MAN-e-Faces is a human trafficking psychopath who seeks the power of invincibility for himself so he can have unfettered access to women’s locker rooms.
Old 11-26-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Love Elizabeth Banks - really looking forward to this one!
Old 11-26-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel like there is enormous potential here. Comedy, adventure, Cronenberg body-horror, social commentary- this is one of those utilitarian concepts that can easily contain just about anything you want to use it for.
Old 11-26-19, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

As long as Liz Banks has a talented cast, writer and line producer working with her, she is more than capable of tackling this project. I think she got better as a director with Charlie’s Angels.
Old 11-26-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What happened to the days of being put into purgatory for years after creating a massive bomb? Those Seventies and Eighties directors would have to wait for years after creating a Heaven's Gate, One From the Heart, At Long Last Love or Spanglish.
Old 11-26-19, 05:30 PM

Was probably already in the works before CA opened. Gotta have your next job lined up before the current one opens.
Old 11-26-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can’t wait to be blamed for her being a shitty director when she insults half the population.
Old 11-26-19, 06:00 PM

Old 11-26-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope this doesn't take attention away from Leigh Whannell's version. Surprised Universal is doing this as well. Yes, they own it, but I bet it's going to confuse the average person.
Old 11-26-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I can’t wait to be blamed for her being a shitty director when she insults half the population.
She directed that at you personally? Weird.
Old 11-26-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
What happened to the days of being put into purgatory for years after creating a massive bomb? Those Seventies and Eighties directors would have to wait for years after creating a Heaven's Gate, One From the Heart, At Long Last Love or Spanglish.
It's the Colin Trevorrow School of Failing Upward.
Old 11-26-19, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post

Is it? He was drafted by Steven Spielberg, so I don't get the connection with Banks in terms of failing up. Trevorrow has had one great film and it was Safety Not Guaranteed.
Old 11-26-19, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He made a movie that made a ton of money and still got fired from Star Wars.

Banks made a movie that made a ton of money and a mid-budget one based on a once popular property and gets to make anotherlow to mid budget movie.

Not much upward trajectory in either.

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Only one of those really applies --
Heaven's Gate had an inflation-modified budget of $144m and made $11m (+inflation), that's put his a kibosh in his career for a good 3 to 4 years.
One from the Heart didn't effect Coppola's career much, he made The Outsiders a year later.
Bogdanovich had three flops in a row with Nickelodeon, Daisy Miller and At Long Last Love
I don't think Spanglish had a heavy effect on Brook's career, he just tends to do some long spans apart - his movie before it (As Good as it Gets) was 7 years before Spanglish and his next (How Do You Know) was 6 years after.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-27-19 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-27-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Is it? He was drafted by Steven Spielberg, so I don't get the connection with Banks in terms of failing up. Trevorrow has had one great film and it was Safety Not Guaranteed.
He directed The Book of Henry, which was so bad it got him fired from Star Wars. Also became quite the douchebag as a result of his success from Jurassic World. You would think he would get Tranked. But no, he gets hired for JWIII. That's failing upwards.
Old 11-28-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He directed The Book of Henry, which was so bad it got him fired from Star Wars. Also became quite the douchebag as a result of his success from Jurassic World. You would think he would get Tranked. But no, he gets hired for JWIII. That's failing upwards.
That's because JW1 and JW2 made a ton of money. Book of Henry was a low cost ($10m) original. Fantastic Four was a $155m movie based on established characters and apparently Trank didn't even finish filming the thing. Those seem like two pretty big differences.

I don't know what douche baggery Trevorrow and company had been throwing around though..

Last edited by RichC2; 11-28-19 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-29-19, 10:05 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
It seems like this is an agenda you are desperate to believe in.

(1) her quote was from before the Charlie’s Angels opened, but was used after the box office numbers
(2) she mentioned the “stereotype” in Hollywood that men don’t watch women led action movies. It was not some sort of definitive. It sounds like something she hears from moron studio suits when green lighting stuff.

Theres probably some dude sitting in an office somewhere at a studio controlling the money who is actually “insulting half of the population” that you should vent your imaginary outrage, but you’ve taken the shortest path imaginable.
Old 11-29-19, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by greydttwo View Post
It seems like this is an agenda you are desperate to believe in.

(1) her quote was from before the Charlie’s Angels opened, but was used after the box office numbers
(2) she mentioned the “stereotype” in Hollywood that men don’t watch women led action movies. It was not some sort of definitive. It sounds like something she hears from moron studio suits when green lighting stuff.

Theres probably some dude sitting in an office somewhere at a studio controlling the money who is actually “insulting half of the population” that you should vent your imaginary outrage, but you’ve taken the shortest path imaginable.
This doesn't really make sense. A studio greenlights a female led action film and then when it fails they say "what can you do? Audiences aren't interested in female led action movies." Why make the film if that's what they believed?

Historically when a film fails, the studio usually blames the director, not the audience. From Michael Cimino to Josh Trank, Hollywood does not hesitate to scapegoat directors for flops, whether right or wrong.
​​​
The bottom line is that Charlie's Angels is a dated property from the 70s, that millennials and Gen Z are not invested in, so it's no surprise that the film failed while something that's still relevant(Joker) is raking in the dough. It really has nothing to do with gender. I'm as liberal as can be but Charlie's Angels is a poor hill to die on in terms of gender equality in Hollywood.

The irony in your argument is that you're taking away Banks' agency by implying that she's just parroting a man's talking point. She's more than capable of coming up with her own theories about the film's success or failure.

In terms of the Invisible Woman, I'm kind of disappointed that it's going to be a comedy because the horror genre could use more female voices. With the recent success of films like Raw and The Babadook I think it's an exciting time for diversity in the genre.
Old 11-30-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I take it this isn't going to be a tie-in with Leigh Whannel's version?