Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Frozen 2 (Buck, Lee 2019) - Review Thread (spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Frozen 2
7.69%
0%
38.46%
30.77%
15.38%
7.69%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you an Olaf puddle?
0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

***SPOILERS***

Please continue pre-release discussion here

Movie: Frozen 2 (Starring: Kristen Bell, Adele Dazeem, Josh Gad, Jonathan Groff, Sterling K. Brown, Evan Rachel Wood, Alfred Molina)

Directors:
Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee

Writers:
Jennifer Lee, Chris Buck, Marc Smith, Kristen Anderson-Lopez, and Robert Lopez

Composer:
Christophe Beck

Release Date:
November 22, 2019

Rating:
PG

Runtime
1h 43 min

Box Office
$130.3 million opening weekend (domestic)
$358.9 million opening weekend (worldwide)

#4th animated opening weekend

Synopsis

Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, Olaf and Sven leave Arendelle to travel to an ancient, autumn-bound forest of an enchanted land. They set out to find the origin of Elsa's powers in order to save their kingdom.

IMDB
IMDB 7.3, 12,758 votes as of 11/26/19

Rotten Tomatoes
Rotten Tomatoes 76% Critics, 93% Audience as of 11/26/19

Metacritic
Metacritic Score 65 as of 11/26/19

Trailer:
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Poster

Last edited by tanman; 11-25-19 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-25-19, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Frozen 2 (Buck, Lee 2019) - Review Thread (spoilers)

I gave it a 4 out of 5. Probably a B+

Overall, a really good follow up IMO to the original movie. I also enjoyed some of the backstory of Anna and Elsa's family and yes there was a spiritual element to it. The songs weren't as memorable as the 1st movie. There wasn't one IMO that had the magical effect like "Let it Go" But, the songs that Idina did perform were good. The sister dynamic between Anna and Elsa was probably the strongest factor. And there was a really cute little fire lizard that was introduced later in the movie.

It was kind of messed up that Anna and Elsa's grandfather was essentially a scumbag who started a war against that innocent tribe, which in turn led to that messed up spiritual dynamic of the forest.

Being that it was a weeknight, my showing wasn't that crowded. It was maybe 1/4 filled. But there were mostly families with their daughters. If Disney animated movies like this is not your thing and you didn't like the 1st movie, it's likely not for you.

But otherwise, I would recommend it for fans of the 1st movie.

Even though this will probably make a shit load of money, I don't think there is anywhere to go for another movie. It ended pretty closed ended. And I didn't realize there was a mid-credit scene. I had to run and use the restroom as soon as the credits rolled.
Old 11-25-19, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was great. Definitely different then any other Disney Princess movie and different than the first. I think they did a good job of expanding on the lore of the first one since they were basically forced by the fans to make a second one. I still applaud Disney for allowing creative choices to override marketing potential in movies. They could have just done the same formula as the first one and call it a day and I think they are getting some criticisms that they didn't just do that. But they allowed them to develop the characters further and take the movie into a whole new direction from the first one. For one the soundtrack is great but not as catchy as the first one, which is perfectly fine with me. They really utilized Idina Menzel's voice and they challenged. Kristen Bell in her own song as well. It was much more emotionally driven as well with Anna's The Next Right Thing being able to serve as a metaphor for depression much like the Elsa's Let it Go did for self empowerment. All of the character's had expanded roles in this sequel and Josh Gad was still hilarious, without being irritating, as Olaf.

8/10 for me.
Old 11-26-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was funny how even Elsa was tired of "Let it Go" during her little memory walk.
Old 11-26-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Better than the original. Not without its flaws, but a more consistent film in terms of storytelling and song quality. The animation was breathtaking. And the Power Ballad was sublime. 8 / 10.
Old 11-27-19, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by badlieut
It was funny how even Elsa was tired of "Let it Go" during her little memory walk.
Yeah I thought that was funny too. That and Hans made a little cameo too.

The more I think about the movie the more I like it. They really did a good job expanding the universe and characters. And especially for a Disney princess movie. I really wouldn't mind seeing more adventures with these characters. But PLEASE not a live remake
Old 11-27-19, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

The one thing I also liked about the movie is that I felt like the characters got older and they were treating the audience as if they were also got older from 2013.
Old 11-27-19, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Definitely walked away from the theater feeling meh. It was ok. The first movie had one truly great moment (the Hans twist), an excellent overall message (true love can come from something other than a man), and extremely catchy soundtrack.

In this one, the only standout song (to me) was "lost in the woods", and even then I don't think they went far enough with that 80s power ballad feel. They've got 2 songs trying to be the next "Let it Go", with one ("Show Yourself") almost a shot-for-shot remake of the scene from the first.

As for the story, I absolutely appreciated the arc for Anna, and especially the lyrics of "The Next Right Thing". I have multiple family members dealing with anxiety/depression, and this song is a very good reflection of that battle.

But I didn't love the overall plot, which often seemed like a quest to nowhere. I liked it better the first time I saw this movie, when it was called "The Fifth Element".

I'm sure I'll watch this many more times with the kids, so maybe it will grow on me more.

Highlight of the entire movie was Olaf recapping the events of the first movie, and the guard's over-the-top reactions.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 11-30-19 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-27-19, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh yeah that whole scene with Olaf recapping the first one and then recapping the second one at the end of the credits was hilarious. It feels like he should be a really irritating annoying character but he's not.
Old 11-27-19, 09:44 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

A few gripes:
I liked it better the first time I saw it... when it was called THE FIFTH ELEMENT!!! Give me a break... Wind, Water, Fire, Earth, Love? As soon as they showed the four stone pillars that represented the "powers" of life, I let out the biggest groan.

During "Lost in the Woods" when Sven started singing, I turned to my wife and commented, "if the reindeer turn into a chorus of singing reindeer, I'm outta here." I was right and she wouldn't let me leave.

Oh, and when they revealed that it was the Grandpa that started it all, I kicked myself. I should have picked up on that earlier. You see, I have a theory about Disney villains: They either die by fire or falling (i.e. Clayton fell to his death in Tarzan, Claud Frollo fell to his death in Hunchback, Scar fell into fire in The Lion King, Gaston fell to his death in Beauty and the Beast, Ratigan fell to his death in the Great Mouse Detective, etc.)... and Grandpa fell of the cliff!
A few things I liked:
As a whole, I enjoyed this movie more so than the first one. The music was better. The story (albeit a rip-off) was better. The character interaction was better.

The "Lost in the Woods" homage to 80s Rock Ballad videos was great (sans the chorus of reindeer).

Olaf (I hate him) redeemed himself with his rapid recaps of past events... ala Luis' recaps in Ant Man.
All in all, it's a 3.5/5 for me... and yes, I would see it again.

But I'm gonna go watch The Fifth Element again first.
Old 11-27-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

That's gotta be a real downer to realize you were trapped somewhere for 35 years and the thing you were ardently defending for the whole time turned out to be the thing that prevented you from leaving. We were the bad guys all along.
Old 11-27-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved it. Seen it twice with my 4 year old. Great story, visuals, color palette and music.
Anybody see Baymax in the beginning when the girls were playing their Enchanted Forest game?

Lost in the Woods is basically Disney's reward to dads who take their daughters to see this movie. I cannot get enough of that song.

I'm surprised they're promoting "Into the Unknown" as the new "Let it Go" when it's clearly "Show Yourself", but I guess it's because the latter is a big spoiler. Such a great song though. When Evan Rachel Wood comes in with "Come, my darling homeward bound..." at the end, I get goosebumps even when I'm just listening to the soundtrack.

My only gripe would be that the Rise of Skywalker trailer they attached--at least to the 2 screenings I've seen in 2 different theaters--is a butchered version of the final trailer.
Old 11-27-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
The one thing I also liked about the movie is that I felt like the characters got older and they were treating the audience as if they were also got older from 2013.
There's even a fourth wall break in "Some Things Never Change" when Olaf sings to the children "and you all look a little bit older"
Old 11-27-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kal-El
There's even a fourth wall break in "Some Things Never Change" when Olaf sings to the children "and you all look a little bit older"
Olaf mentions getting older before the song kicks off and then Anna's like second line in the song is "and we're all getting older."

Then during the song even the things they're singing about that will never change are changing (the old stone wall that will never fall basically falls apart). Then near the end of the song they talk about how the flag of Arendelle will always fly.

And then you have all the people who thing "Into the Unknown" is Elsa's coming out party.

Sorry, like the first one we have the soundtrack on all day at home. My youngest is the age my oldest was when the first one came out.

Last edited by fujishig; 11-27-19 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-27-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
Olaf mentions getting older before the song kicks off and then Anna's like second line in the song is "and we're all getting older."
I get what you're saying. I'm talking about the part of the song when they're in the town square and Olaf sings to kids in the movie off screen but it's obviously shot like he's talking to the kids in the theater.
Old 11-27-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I get what you're saying. I'm talking about the part of the song when they're in the town square and Olaf sings to kids in the movie off screen but it's obviously shot like he's talking to the kids in the theater.
Ah. When it happened I thought it was a weird shot but I didn't even think of it as breaking the fourth wall.
Old 11-29-19, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice catch. I'll have to look out for that next time.
Old 11-30-19, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Loved it. Seen it twice with my 4 year old. Great story, visuals, color palette and music.
Anybody see Baymax in the beginning when the girls were playing their Enchanted Forest game?

Lost in the Woods is basically Disney's reward to dads who take their daughters to see this movie. I cannot get enough of that song.

I'm surprised they're promoting "Into the Unknown" as the new "Let it Go" when it's clearly "Show Yourself", but I guess it's because the latter is a big spoiler. Such a great song though. When Evan Rachel Wood comes in with "Come, my darling homeward bound..." at the end, I get goosebumps even when I'm just listening to the soundtrack.

My only gripe would be that the Rise of Skywalker trailer they attached--at least to the 2 screenings I've seen in 2 different theaters--is a butchered version of the final trailer.
Yeah I caught Baymax! It was pretty obviously him. There were a few others in that snow village too.

I agree I think the soundtrack was really great. Not quite as much of an earworm as the first one but a more mature soundtrack. Into the Unknown and Show Yourself are both equally good and could both be the anthem of the movie. It's hard to choose a clear winner but maybe the edge goes to Into the Unknown from a marketing standpoint since it happens earlier in the movie. I really liked the way they did the "pop" versions of their songs too. I'm pretty neutral on Panic at the Disco but I like their version of Into the Unknown, definitely different to have a rock version of the song and it also preserves Idina Menzel's version of the song as the definitive singing version. I also really enjoy Kasey Musgrave's folksy version of the lullaby.
Old 12-01-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tanman
Yeah I caught Baymax! It was pretty obviously him. There were a few others in that snow village too.

I agree I think the soundtrack was really great. Not quite as much of an earworm as the first one but a more mature soundtrack. Into the Unknown and Show Yourself are both equally good and could both be the anthem of the movie. It's hard to choose a clear winner but maybe the edge goes to Into the Unknown from a marketing standpoint since it happens earlier in the movie. I really liked the way they did the "pop" versions of their songs too. I'm pretty neutral on Panic at the Disco but I like their version of Into the Unknown, definitely different to have a rock version of the song and it also preserves Idina Menzel's version of the song as the definitive singing version. I also really enjoy Kasey Musgrave's folksy version of the lullaby.
I think the only missed opportunity--and I only thought of this days after I saw it--is that they should have gotten an actual 80s band to do the pop version of Lost in the Woods. How cool would it have been to have Bon Jovi be the one to sing that?
Old 12-01-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the only missed opportunity--and I only thought of this days after I saw it--is that they should have gotten an actual 80s band to do the pop version of Lost in the Woods. How cool would it have been to have Bon Jovi be the one to sing that?
Eh, Weezer's pretty much as 80s as you'll get for a non-80's band, and their version is pretty good.
Old 12-09-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

It was okay.
Old 12-09-19, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hilarious as always

Old 01-08-20, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I liked the movie, though probably not as good as the first one, but the p story felt fresh. Felt like kind of a cop-out that they didn’t wipe out the town as they deserved, but I guess that’s too dark for all the 8-year-olds. I preferred Into the Unknown to Show Yourself—something about the latter’s title words felt awkward to me. Great score overall, though.
Old 02-29-20, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Better than the first film which I found lackluster in almost every area outside the animation, this one had a stronger story and character development and while I can't say there was one highly memorable song, it did flow a bit better in the sequel. ***¾/*****
Old 02-29-20, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

First one was by far the better film imo. This one felt more like an episode of a TV show than a full on theatrical film. The story did however manage to destroy pretty much all the fan theories about Frozen being connected to The Little Mermaid and Tarzan both, lol. It was still a decent watch and my daughter enjoyed it, but the songs definitely didn't stand out like Let it Go did; which may or may not be a good thing depending on how much your kids might've wore that song out several years ago.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-02-20)

Show Printable Version
Email this Page

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.