Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movie do you credit for giving you love of cinema?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-20-19, 06:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 610 Likes on 524 Posts

Star Wars...hands down. it's not my number #. top 10, but this was the spectacle that i saw when wee one and it was just awesome. awesome. it was a spectacle and i think i credit this movie for starting my affair with everything movies. all genres, cultures, etc. i know this one was milky white, but it was the spectacle of it all that started my journey to discovering everything i love now and what may come in future...
Old 11-20-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: What movie do you credit for giving you love of cinema?

Old 11-20-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 310 Likes on 252 Posts

There wasn't just one, but a group of movies that really shaped me...

King Kong (1933)
The Spy Who Loved Me
Star Wars
The Petrified Forest
The Big Sleep
Old 11-20-19, 07:30 PM

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts

I guess there's two ways of looking at this question, the first being, my love of going to a cinema and seeing something on a huge screen with dozens of strangers. The second, more elusive way would be, why do I love 'the cinema' - the art form of visually telling a narrative story. For the first it's probably some stupid early-seventies disaster film like Airport. For the latter, Annie Hall.
Old 11-20-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Kid: Star Wars
Teen: Blade Runner
Adult: Blue Velvet
Old 11-20-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts

This is a tough one. THE SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD (1958) was the first film seen on a big screen that gave me a sense of wonder. But it was the accumulation of so many great movies seen on TV as a child that infused me with a love of movies, e.g. KING KONG (1933), FRANKENSTEIN (1931), THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935), THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933), etc.

But what was the first film where I recognized good filmmaking? I saw a flurry of Hollywood epics and musicals on the big screen when I was ten, including JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, THE LONGEST DAY, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, EL CID, THE GREAT ESCAPE and WEST SIDE STORY, but I think the recognition of the filmmaker's art began a few months later when I saw the following, DR. STRANGELOVE, SEVEN DAYS IN MAY and A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. And then, a year later, HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE, STALAG 17 and PSYCHO. All six of these were in black-and-white, where you can appreciate the art of cinema more closely. I was pretty much aware of directors by then and could name each filmmaker and some of what they'd done. Hitchcock and Wilder were quite well known at the time, as was Kubrick.
Old 11-20-19, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I didnít really get into movies until my early teens. There was a series of movies in the early to mid 90s that made me fall I love with movies.

T2
Jurassic Park
The Rock
ID4

were four of the best movie going experiences Iíve ever had in my life and they created a love of going to the movies which then cemented my love for all things cinema.

They might not be the best movies in the world but they were certainly all awesome experiences.

I could probably throw in Back to the Future 2 as cementing my love for movies as well since it was the first time I saw a movie and then...could...not...wait! For the next installment.
Old 11-20-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 574 Posts

City of Lost Children. Imagination of it has stuck with me.
Old 11-20-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Excellent question. I can't remember if there was a single film that imbued my passion for cinema. I started really getting into film with the horror genre around 1989, then branched out into other genres.
Old 11-20-19, 09:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 610 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Excellent question. I can't remember if there was a single film that imbued my passion for cinema. I started really getting into film with the horror genre around 1989, then branched out into other genres.
any specific horror films come to mind?
Old 11-20-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,053 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Star Wars...hands down. it's not my number #. top 10, but this was the spectacle that i saw when wee one and it was just awesome. awesome. it was a spectacle and i think i credit this movie for starting my affair with everything movies. all genres, cultures, etc. i know this one was milky white, but it was the spectacle of it all that started my journey to discovering everything i love now and what may come in future...
Star Wars is my first thought too, but it's so much more than just a movie it doesn't feel quite right.

I would have to say something like Close Encounters of the Third Kind or Blade Runner fits the bill better. More scifi, yes, but more about exploring story in an amazing setting (I'll admit the story of Star Wars is pretty basic, journey of the hero and all that), but CE3K and BR really went above and beyond with characters and setting and maybe most importantly, music. BR's amazing score and of course CE3K's unparalleled finale with the musical communication.
Old 11-20-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 931 Likes on 651 Posts

Iíll respond to the high-falutiní-ness of the term Ďcinemaí and say Koyaanisqatsi.

Still blows me away.
Old 11-20-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 572 Likes on 353 Posts

While seeing Star Wars in its first run in 1977 at age 6 was a MONUMENTAL development in my love of movies, my love of cinema began at age 11. I wanted to go see anything else but my Dad insisted on taking me to see Seven Samurai at a local art theater.

I was 11. This thing was three hours long, black and white, and with subtitles. And I loved every second of it.

We'd catch every Kurosawa movie we could after that; in theaters, on home video, cable TV... this was the 80s, so the options weren't exactly unlimited. Each one was an event for us. Thanks Pop!
Old 11-20-19, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 345 Likes on 246 Posts

Superman 1978
Old 11-20-19, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts

Iíd say Terminator 2. My dad didnít mind showing me rated R movies, even though I was probably 8 or 9 years old when I first saw it.

I oddly remember thinking T2 came out before T1. Why? I have no idea haha
Old 11-21-19, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't say that they were the best movies of all time but my earliest memory of going to the cinema includes them.
Therefore, credit should def. be given to Mulan and Captain EO.
Old 11-21-19, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,811 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Jaws
Superman
The Godfather
E.T.

Those four I watched over and over again. Really connected with me on one level or another. Not that I didn't like Star Wars, but that just never had the same visceral effect to where I was emotionally connected. Those four above made me actually feel something as a kid and I knew movies were more than just a cool way to spend a couple of hours for me.
Old 11-21-19, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Jurassic Park. I was 5 when it came out and my parents took me to the theater for the first time and it was so loud they had to cover my ears. I liked movies before that but after seeing it i loved movies and what was possible with watching them. i began collecting any movie i could to watch. 25 years later and its the only hobby thats stayed with me.
Old 11-21-19, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Thunderball
Old 11-21-19, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 229 Likes on 179 Posts

It's cliched, but it's Star Wars. After that movie (as a 7 year old), I saved up to buy the soundtrack album, the "Art of Star Wars" book (which included the entire shooting script), and, of course, all the other toys and merchandise. I used to take that book to grade school and show other kids how the special effects were done, what storyboarding was all about, etc. I was a nerd very early in life.
Old 11-21-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 179 Likes on 118 Posts

The Godfather
Old 11-21-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I grew up in a small town with one tiny movie theater. My parents didn't care for going to the movies so my very first cinema experience was when my brother took me to go see Superman II. It was such an exciting experience.
Old 11-21-19, 10:35 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts

It’s Star Wars for me. But I was too young to see them in theaters. Fell in love with them on video. I remember this periodical in the school library, 3-2-1-Contact, and it had an article on the special effects of ESB. That fascinated me. Around 3rd grade I somehow found out that the LA Natural History Museum was having an exhibit about special effects that included Star Wars stuff in addition to stuff from Close Encounters, Ghostbusters, The Exorcist, and Rebel Without a Cause strangely. The first biography of a filmmaker I ever read was about George Lucas.

Then 2001. Seeing that opened me up to the other side of the coin. The esoteric and the ambiguous. It made me watch more Kubrick, which led me to more and more American and European films.

And Walt Disney influenced me greatly.

Last edited by Mabuse; 11-21-19 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-21-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 519 Likes on 380 Posts

Hallween & Jurassic Park
Old 11-21-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Star Wars for me. I was blown away as a child that this amazing world had unfolded before my eyes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.