Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Queen & Slim (2019, D: Matsoukas) S: Daniel Kaluuya, Jodie Turner-Smith

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 08:42 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="679" height="382" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G6Th84oGDno" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="679" height="382" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ip3iE416WxE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From trailblazing, Emmy-winning writer Lena Waithe (Netflix’s Master of None) and Melina Matsoukas, the visionary director of some of this generation’s most powerful pop-culture experiences, including Beyonce’s “Formation” and the Nike “Equality” campaign, comes Makeready’s unflinching new drama, Queen & Slim.

While on a forgettable first date together in Ohio, a black man (Get Out’s Daniel Kaluuya) and a black woman (Jodie Turner-Smith, in her first starring feature-film role), are pulled over for a minor traffic infraction. The situation escalates, with sudden and tragic results, when the man kills the police officer in self-defense. Terrified and in fear for their lives, the man, a retail employee, and the woman, a criminal defense lawyer, are forced to go on the run. But the incident is captured on video and goes viral, and the couple unwittingly become a symbol of trauma, terror, grief and pain for people across the country.

As they drive, these two unlikely fugitives will discover themselves and each other in the most dire and desperate of circumstances, and will forge a deep and powerful love that will reveal their shared humanity and shape the rest of their lives.

Joining a legacy of films such as Bonnie and Clyde and Thelma & Louise, Queen & Slim is a powerful, consciousness-raising love story that confronts the staggering human toll of racism and the life-shattering price of violence.

Waithe wrote the script based on an original idea by bestselling author James Frey (A Million Little Pieces, Katerina). The feature-film directorial debut from Melina Matsoukas (executive producer of HBO’s Insecure) stars Academy Award® nominee Daniel Kaluuya as “Slim” and rising star Jodie Turner-Smith (Syfy’s Nightflyers), as “Queen.”

Waithe produces the film via her company, Hillman Grad Productions, along with Matsoukas via her production company, De La Revolución Films. Frey produces via his production company, 3BlackDot, alongside Andrew Coles and Michelle Knudsen.

Queen & Slim is financed by Makeready and will be distributed by Universal Pictures worldwide, with eOne handling distribution in select territories including the U.K. and Canada.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8722346

Opens next week. Currently 100% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/queen_and_slim
Old 11-18-19, 10:16 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Queen & Slim (2019, D: Matsoukas) S: Daniel Kaluuya, Jodie Turner-Smith

Waithe wrote the script based on an original idea by bestselling author James Frey
Caution. James Frey involvement. Watch this at your own risk.
Old 12-02-19, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Thought this was really good, at times great. For me it lost some momentum towards the end, and I was ready for the movie to wrap up long before the movie itself was ready to wrap up so it probably could have used another trip through the edit. I especially didn't like the scenes with the boy, and ultimately thought it was incongruent with the denouement..

Spoiler:
It wasn't an instant photo. The boy's father already wasn't exactly enamored with Ernest and Angela. If the boy died within a day or two, wouldn't that mean the father would have to release it. I think he certainly would seek to blame the two of them over lionizing them. Honestly I thought the point of the scene was made before the boy's death, and the boy's death changed it in a way that messed with the ending.

Oh, and Flea?
Old 04-23-20, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
For me it lost some momentum towards the end, and I was ready for the movie to wrap up long before the movie itself was ready to wrap up so it probably could have used another trip through the edit.
Spoiler:
It wasn't an instant photo. The boy's father already wasn't exactly enamored with Ernest and Angela. If the boy died within a day or two, wouldn't that mean the father would have to release it. I think he certainly would seek to blame the two of them over lionizing them. Honestly I thought the point of the scene was made before the boy's death, and the boy's death changed it in a way that messed with the ending.

I finally got a chance to watch this film this evening and I was about ready for the film to be over
Spoiler:
after Queen & Slim flee from Shepard's garage.

I thought the Cinematography was solid as were Daniel Kaluuya & Bokeem Woodbine's performances.

Might be in the minority but I felt that Jodie Turner-Smith was mostly flat. Most of her lines felt like they were read right off a cue card.

Last edited by asianxcore; 04-23-20 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-26-20, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

A well intentioned film with some powerful moments that starts out great and then turns into a series of heavy handed contrivances.

2.5/5
Old 09-01-20, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Just watched the film on HBO and thought it was involving and thought-provoking. I agree that it could’ve used a little trimming.
Spoiler:
I felt they could’ve cut a couple of the “celebrate life!” moments, which seemed a little incongruous among all the “we gotta move... NOW!” ones.
Old 09-11-20, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

It was ok but way too long.

That love scene in the car while the protests were going on was awkward
Old 03-24-21, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,611 Posts

This is still on HBO Max, but is leaving at the end of the month.

I wanted to see this long ago, but never got around to it. But, finally made the time a few nights ago. I thought it was really good. Some really compelling performances by Kaluuya and Turner-Smith. The marketing for it I thought was strange. It gave me the impression that it had some quirkiness to it. But, it was really a Bonnie and Clyde type film as it was a tragic love story. It also left with you with things to think about. It could have been a little tighter than the 130+ minute run time, but I was never bored. Ending was pretty tragic for the two main characters.