Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Night Has Fallen (D: Waugh) - S: Butler

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-08-19, 03:04 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Gerard Butler’s secret service agent Mike Banning isn’t retired yet. More features, and even local-language TV spin-offs, are being planned after the success of Angel Has Fallen, the franchise’s producer confirmed today.

Alan Siegel, the president and CEO of production and management outfit Alan Siegel Entertainment, said that the company is looking at a fourth, fifth and even sixth entry in the series, following a trilogy of global successes to date.

Speaking at the American Film Market’s finance conference, Siegel also added that the company is considering selling the franchise IP to international television for spin-offs that could star local actors, and in turn those actors could appear in the upcoming features.

“If we do it in India, the star of that could come into Angel Has Fallen 4. It could be a symbiotic relationship,” he said.

Alongside being Butler’s manager, Siegel also co-runs production company G-BASE with the actor.

Speaking on the same panel, Jeffrey Greenstein, President at Millennium Media, which produces and sells the franchise, discussed how they had pivoted the third entry in the series towards a more character-driven narrative.

“We looked at each other on the third one and we thought we couldn’t just blow up another city,” said Greenstein.

“This time. Maybe next one we will,” added Siegel.

The Has Fallen pics have grossed north of $500m at the global box office, and a big chunk of those receipts have come from international.

China was an important part of the release for the second film, 2016’s London Has Fallen, accounting for $52m of its $143m international gross.

Greenstein said that China is a major opportunity but has become increasingly difficult. The producers are still waiting to hear if Olympus Has Fallen will receive a release slot in the territory.

He highlighted that the franchise was classic AFM fare (star-led action) and that the pics were proof that the traditional pre-sales model isn’t dead.

Evidencing that point, Siegel noted that upcoming Gerard Butler thriller The Plane, which he is producing through his G-BASE banner, has been doing strong business at AFM this year.

Greenstein added that the wider market, even streaming platforms, were all after packages that were essentially theatrical in quality-terms.

“The market demands theatrical product, even Netflix wants the bigger, cast-driven things,” Greenstein commented, but added that the amount of money being offered outside of the indie space was making it increasingly challenging to secure big name actors.

“The numbers that Netflix, Amazon, Disney are able to offer are substantially higher than anyone can on the independent market,” he said. “Talent might have one slot a year where they can do an independent film, and they might want to go on holiday.”
https://deadline.com/2019/11/angel-h...fs-1202781466/
Old 11-08-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
re: Night Has Fallen (D: Waugh) - S: Butler

Mike Banning has fallen, and he can't get up.

Seriously, if they bring Nick Nolte back, I'm on board.

ANGEL HAS FALLEN wasn't great, but I thought it was a huge step up from LONDON HAS FALLEN.
Old 11-08-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm looking forward to the last chapter of the saga;

"Hollywood Has Fallen"
Old 11-08-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

I'm in!

Old 11-08-19, 05:49 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

My Testicles Have Fallen
Old 11-08-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

So China saw London Has Fallen, but not Olympus Has Fallen? Are they too sensitive to North Korea?
Old 11-08-19, 09:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm in!

Why So Blu Has Risen
Old 11-09-19, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Angel has Fallen made $133M on a $40M budget. I think Lionsgate cut the budget on this one compared to London. So it was definitely profitable. I have no idea how they can continue it though.
Old 11-09-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Angel has Fallen made $133M on a $40M budget. I think Lionsgate cut the budget on this one compared to London. So it was definitely profitable. I have no idea how they can continue it though.
I think Lionsgate was just the distributor, so they paid way less than that. Millennium Films financed the film.
Old 11-09-20, 01:29 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Gerard Butler is confirmed for the next movie in the lucrative Has Fallen franchise.

Millennium will launch sales at the virtual AFMthis week on Night Has Fallen, which will see Butler return as Mike Banning, a former Army Ranger who worked as a protective agent for the Secret Service.

Robert Kamen will script along with Ric Roman Waugh set to direct. Producers are G-BASE’s Alan Siegel and Gerard Butler, Eclectic Picture’s Heidi Jo Markel, Les Weldon and Millennium Media’s Jeffrey Greenstein, Jonathan Yunger, and Yariv Lerner. Executive producers on behalf of Millennium Media are Avi Lerner, Trevor Short and Boaz Davidson.
Old 11-10-20, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts
Re: Night Has Fallen (D: Waugh) - S: Butler

Title sounds like some indie drama.