Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scream (2022, D: Bettinelli-Olpin & Gillett)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 12:17 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Even after the passing of Wes Craven, Ghostface continues to live on.

Bloody Disgusting can exclusively report that Gary Barber’s Spyglass Media Group is currently developing the next Scream, based on the franchise created by Craven and writer Kevin Williamson.

While Craven had directed all four Scream films before his passing, various filmmakers would get behind the camera for a television series that ran for two seasons on MTV and a third on VH1.

All four films remained canon while the series would create its own mythology. It’s unclear if the next film will continue to be canonized within Craven’s universe or be a remake, but we are hearing that, as of this writing, Williamson is not writing the screenplay.

This news isn’t all that surprising being that Spyglass is remaking Hellraiser, Dimension Films’ other property that is being written by David S. Goyer (Blade II, Batman Begins, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice).

How did Spyglass land the rights? Well, as Variety previously explained, “Spyglass Media Group was re-launched as a content company in March by former MGM topper Barber, Lantern Entertainment co-presidents Andy Mitchell and Milos Brajovic and strategic investors Eagle Pictures and Cineworld Group.”

Lantern Entertainment is the company that acquired all of Dimension Films’ assets after the allegations against Harvey Weinstein put the company in bankruptcy.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...eam-exclusive/
Old 11-07-19, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
re: Scream 5 (2022, D: Bettinelli-Olpin & Gillett)

They'd need to be really smart to reboot this...I don't have a lot of confidence. I think they should go with the angle that the characters live in a universe where the Scream movies/TV series exist (you know, like our universe) and play off of that. I'm actually glad Williamson isn't writing - he tends to repeat a lot of his ideas...would like to see a new take from a good writer.
Old 11-07-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Kind of figured it was only a matter of time that this would happen. I’m down for it as I like all the movies pretty well so far (the third is easily the weakest). I watched a bit of the first season of the series, but never finished it and didn’t see the second or third seasons at all.
Old 11-07-19, 09:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Please no stop
Old 11-07-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Eh, I can probably do without Wes Craven, but I just don't think someone besides Kevin Williamson can get the tone right. The TV series wasn't very good, so I hope they find some people who can at least try to capture the "Scream" spirit. But I don't want to see new characters/storyline. That's a different movie. Maybe I can behind it if they keep it in Woodsboro, because at least Arquette would come back. But, I'm not sure Scream is Scream without Neve Campbell.
Old 11-07-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
But I don't want to see new characters/storyline. That's a different movie. Maybe I can behind it if they keep it in Woodsboro, because at least Arquette would come back. But, I'm not sure Scream is Scream without Neve Campbell.
I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree. Campbell has evaded ghostface for four movies and I think we're at the point of ridiculousness/exhaustion to see her being chased by yet another one. A new movie needs to kill her off immediately or (the better option) reboot/have it take place in a world where the original Scream movies inspired a killer to don the mask "in real life." As much as I enjoyed Campbell, Cox, and Arquette in the original series, I think Scream 4 proved it was time to retire those characters.

Honestly, I wish they hadn't killed off Kirby in Scream 4. She was one of the best characters the series produced and I think she could've anchored a new trilogy on her own.

Old 11-07-19, 02:03 PM

I agree that Sidney shouldn't be in it anymore, but I wouldn't want them to kill her off. It can just take place in Woodsboro again (or somewhere else) in a world where the previous films happened. I think, more so than how Halloween 2018 used it, bringing in the true-crime documentary angle could work here.

Having the previous movies be movies within the new one would be too meta, IMO. Though, it worked for me in New Nightmare.

Last edited by dex14; 11-07-19 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-08-19, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

The only interest I have in this movie is coming into this thread right now to say I have no interest in this movie.
Old 11-08-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree. Campbell has evaded ghostface for four movies and I think we're at the point of ridiculousness/exhaustion to see her being chased by yet another one. A new movie needs to kill her off immediately or (the better option) reboot/have it take place in a world where the original Scream movies inspired a killer to don the mask "in real life." As much as I enjoyed Campbell, Cox, and Arquette in the original series, I think Scream 4 proved it was time to retire those characters.

Honestly, I wish they hadn't killed off Kirby in Scream 4. She was one of the best characters the series produced and I think she could've anchored a new trilogy on her own.
There's been some debate over whether Kirby actually died or not, so it's not out of the question she survived. I really liked her, too. My main concern is just wiping out the previous movies like they never happened. I'm not a fan of that at all. I'd accept a Woodsboro story without Campbell as long as it acknowledged the other movies in-universe and stayed true to the spirit of Scream. It would just be weird without Sidney around, but understandable given that she probably would never want to come to Woodsboro again.

The TV series seemed like Scream "in name only" and truthfully wasn't very well done, which is what I'm afraid a movie without anyone from the originals would be...
Old 11-08-19, 12:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

this is just so ridiculous. enough is enough. i mean this series is still pretty fresh. i know first was over 20 years ago, but last was 2011. enough already. especially with this Ghostface character. the character is not very memorable and i have trouble remembering who was Ghostface in each one. i just can't believe or i can and that's what's sad...
Old 11-08-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I didn't bother watching the 6 episode final season (TV version) that aired on VH1 earlier this year. It was burned off over 3 nights, so it couldn't have been good. Did anyone bother with it?
Old 11-08-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I didn't bother watching the 6 episode final season (TV version) that aired on VH1 earlier this year. It was burned off over 3 nights, so it couldn't have been good. Did anyone bother with it?
I saw it. It was really forgettable. For the positives, it had the original mask from the movies and Tony Todd, but for the life of me, I can't even really remember what happened or who the killer was...
Old 11-08-19, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I skipped the final season as well. I actually really liked the first 2 seasons, and it’s been a while, but didn’t it all end on an unresolved cliffhanger? I remember there was like a weird holiday episode or something that aired after season 2 ended, but it didn’t really resolve much. I might be remembering some of this wrong.

I didn’t really like the movies beyond the first. I know I watched it, but I can’t tell you a single plot point of the 4th one. At least I can remember random little details of 2 & 3. 2 was set in college, and the killer was secretly related to Sydney’s bf from the first movie. 3 was already kinda meta, with them making a movie adaption of the first, and it randomly had a Jay & Silent Bob cameo.
Old 11-09-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The "Stab" movies were my least-favorite plot thread throughout the series. It was just too over-the-top meta and not nearly as clever or funny as it could have been. Especially in part 3, where making movies about the true events became a huge focal point. The only time I kinda-sorta enjoyed any references to"Stab" was in the bizarre opening scene to part 4.
Old 11-09-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I had no idea that Wes Craven had passed away. If this movie happens, they need a brand new cast and start fresh. Don't bring in anyone who were in the previous films.
Old 11-09-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

The MTV series was surprisingly good. I went in with really low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. Only watched the first two seasons, skipped the third because it was a reboot.

I really don't think rebooting/remaking Scream would be a good idea. Rebooting horror franchises doesn't really work. Of the recent Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Halloween remakes, only Halloween got a sequel. Texas Chainsaw Massacre fared a bit better, but the original four films didn't really share any kind of continuity.
Old 11-09-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The MTV series was surprisingly good.
Was it? I watched two or three episodes of the first season and bailed because I got bored and it tonally just didn't feel like Scream to me. Should I give it another try?

Old 11-09-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Was it? I watched two or three episodes of the first season and bailed because I got bored and it tonally just didn't feel like Scream to me. Should I give it another try?
I dug it. Though being a weekly hour-long series, it did tend to move kind of slowly, so if that was your main issue, you might not like it. Tonally, it seemed about right, though. I'd probably give the whole thing a solid "B" or "B-."

By rights, it should have been a disaster.

Old 12-12-19, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
There's been some debate over whether Kirby actually died or not, so it's not out of the question she survived. I really liked her, too.
Bring her back!

Arquette seems interested in coming back. https://movieweb.com/scream-5-david-...wey-returning/
Old 12-14-19, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

No meta - "the first 4 were movies and THIS is the real world!" bullshit. Huge pass if that ends up being the concept.

I saw 4 but I don't remember much about it. Looking at the cast list alone, I think it might be worth checking out again. 2021 will be the 25th anniversary of Scream (crazy). So keep it simple. A new Ghostface shows up and starts terrorizing Woodsboro again on the anniversary. Parody and poke fun at modern horror flicks (Saw comes to mind, found footage, Human Centepede? lol, etc). Let Neve off the hook on this one. Sydney returned to Woodsboro for 4, so she clearly lived somewhere else. Just leave it at that. Have her turn up in a post credits stinger. Hell, since it's been 25 years, Sydney could have a HS/College aged kid in this and could be a red herring as the killer. Also, Sydney being absent could also be a red herring (she's finally snapped and is the killer!). I could see Dewey back in some fashion & maybe Cox.

I don't recall the Kirby character or her outcome but bringing Hayden back isn't a terrible idea. She's easy on the eyes.
Old 03-12-20, 01:16 PM

Discussing Film has learned that ‘Scream 5’ is in development and is targeting to begin filming in May.

‘Ready or Not’ directors Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett will be helming the film. Chad Villella and original ‘Scream’ writer Kevin Williamson will executive produce. William Sherak, James Vanderbilt, and Paul Neinstein will produce the film.

Plot details are scarce but sources say it will follow a woman returning to her home town to try to find out who has been committing a series of vicious crimes. It is unknown if it will follow the story of the past four ‘Scream’ films or pave a new direction for the franchise.

According to Bloody Disgusting, the studio Spyglass will be developing the film, and production companies Radio Silence, Outerbank Entertainment, and Project X Entertainment will be behind the film.

More details to come…
https://discussingfilm.net/2020/03/1...ent-exclusive/
Old 03-14-20, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Well that sounds....exactly like the other Scream movies!
Old 05-06-20, 05:00 PM

It’s hard to imagine a Scream movie without the franchise’s leading lady, but will Neve Campbell be playing Sidney Prescott one more time in the upcoming movie that’s set to be directed by Ready or Not duo Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett? That’s the big question, and Campbell herself chimes in on that this week.

Chatting with YouTube’s Jake Hamilton, Campbell reveals that she’s been in touch with the duo, and conversations about the potential return of Sidney are taking place.

“They’ve come to me and we’re having conversations. It’s a little hard at the moment because of COVID to know when that’ll happen and hopefully we can see eye to eye on all the elements that have to come into place for it to happen,” Campbell told Hamilton.

She continued, “I originally had been really apprehensive about doing another Scream without Wes because he was such a genius and he is the reason they are what they are but the directors have come to me with such a great appreciation for Wes’s work and they really want to honor it and that meant a lot to me.”

“Hopefully we’ll be able to do it,” Campbell added.

It would seem that at this moment in time there’s definitely a role for Sidney in the movie that Olpin and Gillett are currently envisioning, but there’s always the possibility that things won’t work out and they’ll have to go in a different direction. For now, it’s great to hear that Campbell has been contacted and discussions are taking place.
Old 05-06-20, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel like I watched Part 4. I do not remember a single thing from it though. Has that ever happened to you?
Old 05-06-20, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

See post #20

I saw 4 but I don't remember much about it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.