DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Finding Jack -- James Dean back from the dead to star in Vietnam drama (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/649042-finding-jack-james-dean-back-dead-star-vietnam-drama.html)

dex14 11-06-19 09:27 AM

Finding Jack -- James Dean back from the dead to star in Vietnam drama

James Dean, who died in a 1955 car crash at the age of 24, is making an unexpected return to the big screen.

The cultural icon, known for Rebel Without a Cause and East of Eden, has been posthumously cast in the Vietnam era action-drama Finding Jack.

Directed by Anton Ernst and Tati Golykh, the project comes from the filmmakers' own recently launched production house Magic City Films, which obtained the rights to use Dean’s image from his family. Canadian VFX banner Imagine Engine will be working alongside South African VFX company MOI Worldwide to re-create what the filmmakers describe as “a realistic version of James Dean.”

Adapted by Maria Sova from Gareth Crocker’s novel, Finding Jack is based on the existence and abandonment of more than 10,000 military dogs at the end of the Vietnam War. Dean will play a character called Rogan, considered a secondary lead role.

"We searched high and low for the perfect character to portray the role of Rogan, which has some extreme complex character arcs, and after months of research, we decided on James Dean," said Ernst, who also produces with Golykh for Magic City Films alongside Donald A. Barton of Artistry Media Group.

"We feel very honored that his family supports us and will take every precaution to ensure that his legacy as one of the most epic film stars to date is kept firmly intact. The family views this as his fourth movie, a movie he never got to make. We do not intend to let his fans down."

While Finding Jack will be live action, The Hollywood Reporter understands that Dean’s performance will be constructed via "full body" CGI using actual footage and photos. Another actor will voice him.

Multiple Oscar nominated songwriter Diane Warren wrote the key song for the film and acclaimed composer Laurent Eyquem is on board to score the film.

Preproduction on Finding Jack starts Nov. 17, with a goal for a worldwide release on Veterans Day 2020. Magic City Films is handling the foreign sales.

The filmmakers are now hoping that the CGI technology used to bring Dean back to life onscreen could soon be deployed on other well-known figures.

"This opens up a whole new opportunity for many of our clients who are no longer with us," said Mark Roesler, CEO of CMG Worldwide, which represents Dean’s family alongside more than 1,700 entertainment, sports, music and historical personalities, including the likes of Burt Reynolds, Christopher Reeve, Ingrid Bergman, Neil Armstrong, Bette Davis and Jack Lemmon.

Added Ernst: "Our partners in South Africa are very excited about this, as this technology would also be employed down the line to re-create historical icons such as Nelson Mandela to tell stories of cultural heritage significance."

Barton added: "Now that we have closed with this iconic figure, we look forward to rapidly closing our remaining actors."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-drama-1252703

Brian T 11-06-19 10:16 AM

Re: Finding Jack -- James Dean back from the dead to star in Vietnam drama

Deepfake movies now. What a surprise. -rolleyes-

Because there were just NO better-qualified, living contemporary actors for a second lead role in military dog movie filming in Cyprus directed by a South African producer with a slew of no-budget sub-DTV crap to his name. It's the role only Dean was born to play.

Sadly, the technology to do this is creepifyingly good now (and dangerous in so many other ways considering the state of contemporary discourse around the globe):

Spoiler:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9NkKj0aNB0s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ho9h0ouemWQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bPhUhypV27w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mabuse 11-06-19 11:09 AM

I fuckin hate gimmick movies.

devilshalo 11-06-19 11:31 AM

Did they not want to cast James Franco instead of spending all this money to create an all digital character?

Mike86 11-06-19 11:53 AM

I think a full film using a recreation of a dead actor or actress is too much. I didn’t mind when Peter Cushing was recreated in Rogue One because it was a small part and fit the film. Feels weird to do a completely original film that stars someone who’s no longer alive.

JoeyOhhhh 11-06-19 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13635833)
I think a full film using a recreation of a dead actor or actress is too much. I didn’t mind when Peter Cushing was recreated in Rogue One because it was a small part and fit the film. Feels weird to do a completely original film that stars someone who’s no longer alive.

Not to mention who died before this war even took place

Draven 11-06-19 12:51 PM

If the family is okay with it and the creators are upfront about what they are doing, I have zero issues.

PerryD 11-06-19 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13635870)
If the family is okay with it and the creators are upfront about what they are doing, I have zero issues.

Who would this family be? I don't think he had children or siblings, and certainly his parents would have to be dead considering James Dean would be pushing 90 now himself.

DJariya 11-06-19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 13635879)
Who would this family be? I don't think he had children or siblings, and certainly his parents would have to be dead considering James Dean would be pushing 90 now himself.

The company CMG worldwide handles the licensing of James Dean’s likeness and IP. They run his official website.

https://www.jamesdean.com

They probably approved this.

PerryD 11-06-19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13635898)
The company CMG worldwide handles the licensing of James Dean’s likeness and IP. They run his official website.

https://www.jamesdean.com

They probably approved this.

Yeah, but the article references "family". I was just curious who they found/bribed to give this project their stamp of approval.

"We feel very honored that his family supports us and will take every precaution to ensure that his legacy as one of the most epic film stars to date is kept firmly intact. The family views this as his fourth movie, a movie he never got to make. We do not intend to let his fans down."

dex14 11-06-19 02:07 PM

The estate went to his father when James died and then the foundation was created, so assumingly someone on his father's side since he is dead too. Not anyone who was a direct relative to James.

Edit: it looks like his cousin runs it: https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...-me-in-picture

GoldenJCJ 11-06-19 02:27 PM

I’m sure it’s safe to say that any “family” Dean has left would be more than happy to sell out his name and likeness for a little cash.

I’m sure Mr. Distant Fourth Cousin Twice Removed is really looking to preserve James’ legacy and integrity.

dex14 11-06-19 02:30 PM

It's his first cousin.

Shannon Nutt 11-06-19 03:03 PM

Hopefully, he looks better than Peter Cushing did in ROGUE ONE.

Brian T 11-06-19 04:01 PM

Considering the "directors" involved (check out their filmographies), and the general shittiness of everything they've made to date, they might as well have gotten James Deen considering how ridiculous this thing will be even if they DO actually make it.

milo bloom 11-06-19 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13635956)
Hopefully, he looks better than Peter Cushing did in ROGUE ONE.

You know, I just rewatched ANH for the first time in a while and I was surprised at how Cushing looked in this and made me realize the R1 portrayal wasn't that bad.
I wouldn't mind if they touched it up along with Leia for the 4k release, but it's serviceable.
And I came here to use the Rogue One example - these are actors already associated the franchise. What they're doing here with Dean is a disgrace. You're telling me of all the thousands of young guys currently waiting tables in Hollywood waiting for their big break, they couldn't find one guy that could hit even 90% of what they're looking for in James Dean?
Barf.

Brian T 11-06-19 09:19 PM

Exactly. This is a gimmick by not-even-D-list filmmakers who have nothing else to sell. IMDb has a budget of $40mil on this thing, which is probably 20x the budget of anything else they’ve done. This little announcement served its purpose, I suppose. It got them coverage in a legit trade magazine and the subsequent media and social media attention, but you’d think they might have waited until they actually had footage of their CG Dean before running to the press.

If they even go through with this, I suspect they’ll employ the deepfake technology in those videos I spoilered in post #2, rather than a full CGI ... thing like they did with Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher in Star Wars. Those were pretty good, but this new technology (which wasn’t around when those Star Wars movies were in production) seems only to require some anonymous actor to basically play the role, perhaps with some Dean mannerisms. and then have his face seamlessly replaced. I think there’s potential for this kind of bait-and-switch to finally move us away from that “uncanny valley” of wholly CGI/mocap humans and towards something far more convincing when de-aging actors or reviving dead ones, but the potential for misuse as the software becomes more affordable is off the charts, and in the case of a sketchy production like Finding Jack, it just seems so pointless.

ytrez 11-07-19 06:49 AM

I'm not a fan of this. Using computer-generated actors takes the artistry out of acting. You can try to simulate the character based on Dean's past performances but the filmmaker doesn't know what artistic choices the real Dean would have made. The Pacino Taxi Driver is well done, but you're still seeing DeNiro's acting under it. The only way I can see something like this working is if you're making an animated film with a character that's inspired by Dean.

MysterioMan007 11-07-19 09:26 AM

Interesting for sure. I don't have any issues with it. I think it's kind of neat in a way. As long as they don't start doing this for every movie, I see no harm.

rennervision 11-07-19 11:16 PM

It's finally time. I want 6 versions of every James Bond movie featuring a deepfake of every Bond actor in the starring role.

Hazel Motes 11-08-19 02:53 AM

I'm surprised Marilyn Monroe, Elivs Presley and 4 dogs playing poker haven't been cast yet.

mndtrp 11-08-19 11:01 AM

I'm in the camp that thinks it's ok for a cameo as an established character in a series sequel, but am completely against what's happening in the OP. Hopefully anyone alive today is thinking about this when they write their wills regarding their legacy.

Mabuse 11-08-19 11:05 AM

Adam Carolla had a good idea on his podcast. He said the rule should be that this type of technology should only be used to tell a biographical story about the famous actor. So a movie about James Dean’s car racing hobby and his final days would be okay, but a Vietnam movie about dogs would not. I think that’s a pretty good rule.

milo bloom 11-08-19 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13636883)
Adam Carolla had a good idea on his podcast. He said the rule should be that this type of technology should only be used to tell a biographical story about the famous actor. So a movie about James Dean’s car racing hobby and his final days would be okay, but a Vietnam movie about dogs would not. I think that’s a pretty good rule.

Considering the source... that's a pretty reasonable take.

GoldenJCJ 11-09-19 10:18 AM

I like Chris Evans’ comparison that you might as well have a computer create another Picasso painting.

That about sums it up for me.