Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023, D: Dos Santos/Powers/Thompson)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 06:44 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

The sequel to Oscar winner “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” will fly into theaters on April 8, 2022.

Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios announced the second installment before the original movie even opened. Joaquim Dos Santos has been set to direct the untitled sequel from Dave Callaham’s script, which will continue Miles Morales’ story.

“Into the Spider-Verse” centered on 13-year-old Brooklynite Morales (voiced by Shameik Moore), who becomes one of many Spider-Men. The movie was specifically created to have a unique look that combined computer animation with traditional hand-drawn techniques.

“Into the Spider-Verse” won the Academy Award for animated feature for Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Its strong awards season included victories at the Annies, Golden Globes, BAFTAs and Producers Guild Awards.

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” which carried a $90 million budget, was an unexpected box office success and wound up grossing nearly $380 million worldwide. The film was directed by Persichetti, Ramsey and Rothman from a screenplay by Lord and Rothman and a story by Lord. Miller and Lord produced along with Avi Arad, Amy Pascal and Christina Steinberg.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/s...te-1203390678/
Old 11-01-19, 06:58 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts
re: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023, D: Dos Santos/Powers/Thompson)

My whole family is in, may even go for it, day one.
Old 11-01-19, 08:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I don’t know. Maybe. The first was just so good. From music to animation. It was special. Who knows? I’m glad more adventures with Miles though...
Old 11-01-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Old 11-01-19, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm down for more.
Old 11-02-19, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Old 11-02-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Sign me up! My Daughter and I loved the first film.
Old 11-02-19, 12:44 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

First film was something magical. I actually wish they'd just leave it alone, but I know that's a pipe dream.
Old 11-05-19, 01:05 PM

Japanese Spider-Man to Appear in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2
https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/11/...se-supaidaman/
Old 11-05-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Far From The Spider-verse?
Old 04-24-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...huffle-1291805

Pushed back to October 7, 2022
Old 04-24-20, 06:34 PM

Eh, if it’s as good as 1st with that fucking kick ass soundtrack that got me into a whole new world of hip hop, great style, story and substance. Really good voice acting. Tell me Post Malone’s Sunflower doesn’t sound like kid who did Miles? then it’ll be more than worth it...
Old 04-19-21, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' Sequel Reveals Directing Team
APRIL 19, 2021 4:02PM by Aaron Couch

Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers and Justin K. Thompson will direct the sequel.

The sequel to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse has caught three filmmakers in its web. Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers and Justin K. Thompson are directing the sequel to the 2018 Oscar-winning film, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

"The crew behind the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse set such a ridiculously high bar, and we're humbled to take on the challenge of charting the next chapter in the story of Miles Morales," the three directors said in a statement. "We can't wait to surprise fans with the wild new adventure we're sending Miles on with his friends, both old and new!"

Even before the original Spider-Verse film opened, THR reported that Dos Santos was directing the Sony Pictures Animation feature. What was unknown at the time was that Powers and Thompson were working with Dos Santos on the sequel.

Dos Santos is known for his work on Avatar: The Last Airbender and Netflix’s Voltron series. Powers is in the Oscars race this year for his screenplay One Night in Miami, which he adapted from his play. His Pixar film Soul, which he co-wrote and co-directed, received three Oscar nominations, including best animated feature. Thompson is a Spider-Verse vet, having served as production designer the original film, with his credits also including Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and its sequel.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the producing masterminds behind the original, return to produce and are writing the script with Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings writer David Callaham. Amy Pascal, Avi Arad and Christina Steinberg are also producing, with Alonzo Ruvalcaba co-producing. Peter Ramsey, who co-directed the original, executive produces with Aditya Sood.

“We are so lucky to have Joaquim, Justin and Kemp on the Spider-Verse team. They are all Super Heroes at what they do and each brings a unique sensibility to the ‘Spider-Verse," Lord and Miller said in a statement. "We are huge fans of Joaquim’s work - he makes his characters so heartfelt and unique, and he can tell an emotional story with an action sequence the way a musical does through a song. Justin is a maverick filmmaker who relentlessly pursues visual innovation and surprise but always in support of the emotional storytelling. Kemp’s work is incisive and ambitious and funny — with a writer’s wisdom and a director’s heart — he just knows what matters in every scene. All three of them elevate every project they take on, and they are certainly raising our game. We honestly just like them and want to be their friends and we’re hoping working on this movie together for the next few years will totally make that happen.”

The sequel has an Oct. 7, 2022 release date.

Dos Santos is repped by UTA. Powers is repped by Gersh, Media Talent Group and Gang Tyre Thompson is repped by VERVE Talent & Literary Agency.
Old 04-20-21, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I worry about too many cooks in the kitchen. I did really like the first, especially in 3D.
Old 04-20-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Big shoes to fill. Big, big shoes.
Old 04-20-21, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

3 more directors and almost two years from now -- should be fine.
Old 04-20-21, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

The first one felt like one of those rare “lightning in a bottle” movies that miraculously turned out really great. I’m not sure I have faith that the sequel will be lucky enough to capture that same magic. I’ll watch it but I’m keeping my expectations in check.
Old 06-04-21, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Issa Rae Joins ‘Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse’ Sequel (Exclusive)
Phil Lord and Chris Miller have co-written the script and are back as producers.

BY BORYS KIT
JUNE 4, 2021 1:44PM

Issa Rae is entering the Spider-Verse.

Rae, the star of HBO’s acclaimed comedy-drama Insecure, has joined the voice cast of Sony Pictures Animation’s sequel to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Rae becomes the first addition to the franchise’s roll call that includes Shameik Moore and Hailee Steinfeld, who are reprising their roles of Miles Morales, aka Spider-Man, and Spider-Gwen respectively.

Plot details are being kept hidden in the circuits of a super-collider but will continue to feature an array of Spider-characters drawn across Marvel Comics’ time and space. According to sources, Rae will voice Jessica Drew, aka Spider-Woman.

Lord and Miller are also back as producers, as are Amy Pascal, Avi Arad and Christina Steinberg. Alonzo Ruvalcaba is co-producing.

Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers and Justin K. Thompson are directing the sequel. Peter Ramsey, one of the directors of the first movie, is returning as an executive producer, alongside Aditya Sood.

The sequel has a release date of Oct. 7, 2022.

Into the Spider-Verse, released in 2018, thrust alternate-universe Spider-Man Morales into the spotlight, buttressing him with Gwen Stacy and other-dimensional Spider-people such as Spider-Man Noir, Peni Parker and Spider-Ham. The movie, which won the Oscar for best animated film and became a pop culture sensation, dangled more characters waiting to drop on spider-threads.

Rae is currently filming the fifth and final season of Insecure, the series she co-created and which has garnered three Emmy nominations, including outstanding lead actress in a comedy series. She also has a second season of Robin Thede’s A Black Lady Sketch Show, which she is also executive producing.

Rae, who was last seen opposite Kumail Nanjiani in 2020 action comedy The Lovebirds, is repped by UTA, 3 Arts Entertainment and Hansen Jacobson.
Old 06-04-21, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I liked the first one when I saw it, but I’ve had no urge to go back and rewatch it. Maybe sometime I will.
Old 06-04-21, 07:35 PM

I def have the urge and actually in my queue rn. It was so good and I think highly rewatchable. Even the soundtrack (which I got) is great. Sunflower is probably one of my top ten of all time now.
Old 08-24-21, 11:54 AM

First-look footage of Sony’s upcoming Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 was shown at this year's CinemaCon, revealing the return of Miles Morales and Gwen Stacy. The film is the long-awaited sequel to 2018’s Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, which marked both Sony’s first animated project in the Spider-Man franchise and the first film appearance of the Miles Morales version of the superhero. Not only was the first Into the Spider-Verse a major box office success, it also impressed critics, going on to win the coveted Best Animated Feature Film award at both the 2019 Academy Awards and Annual Golden Globes.

Following the story of Miles Morales, a teenager of African-American and Puerto Rican heritage, the first Spider-Verse film opens with the death of Peter Parker, the original Spider-Man. When Miles begins to develop his own powers after being bitten by a radioactive spider, he attempts to follow in Parker’s footsteps and works alongside other Spider-People from alternate universes. Even prior to the release of the first film, the anticipation surrounding the project prompted Sony to quickly put both a sequel and a spin-off, Spider-Woman, into production.

While much of the Spider-Man buzz surrounding this year’s CinemaCon has focused on the new Spider-Man: No Way Home trailer, the Sony presentation also featured a first look at footage from next year’s Spider-Verse sequel. Descriptions of the footage include a shot of Miles doing his signature jump, followed by Gwen Stacy appearing with a full white mask. Another shot also featured Miles looking at the Spider-Man suit with his reflection showing on the glass in a image reminiscent of the first film.

Currently slated to be released in October 2022, Spider-Verse 2 is set to introduce the Japanese Spider-Man Takuya Yamashiro, as well as Spider-Woman, who will be voiced by actress Issa Rae (Insecure, The Lovebirds). Original stars Shameik Moore and Hailee Steinfeld will also reprise their respective roles of Miles Morales and Gwen Stacy. While the latest descriptions of the new Spider-Verse 2 certainly don’t reveal much in the way of specific story details, there is no doubt that the newcomers to the franchise will make for an interesting sequel.

Considered by many loyal fans to be not only one of the best Spider-Man films, but one of the best superhero films ever made, this latest sneak peek at Spider-Verse 2 will certainly whet the appetites of those who are already hungry for its release. Even the MCU’s Peter Parker, Tom Holland himself, has been quick to praise the first film, calling it, “one of the coolest films I’ve ever seen.” And now that fans know there is new Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 footage out there, they will no doubt be keeping their fingers crossed that a teaser trailer may not be too far off.
https://screenrant.com/spider-verse-...s-gwen-return/
Old 08-26-21, 07:23 PM

Are we going to get a live-action Miles Morales? I would love to see that. Have him appear in last Holland SM and pass the baton and get fresher with an already pretty used character.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (12-07-21)
Old 08-26-21, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

It would be great to acknowledge Miles in the live action films but I’d hate to not have the Into series in animation.
Old 12-04-21, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 12-04-21, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Part One ——— 10/7/22

This teaser has just been released and Spider-Man 2099 joins the party

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.