Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Old 05-03-24, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,979 Posts
Re: The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

It's so weird to think that The Phantom Menace came out twenty-five years ago.

The sixteen year stretch between Return of the Jedi and TPM seemed like an eternity.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
Abob Teff (05-04-24), IBJoel (05-03-24)
Old 05-03-24, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's so weird to think that The Phantom Menace came out twenty-five years ago.

The sixteen year stretch between Return of the Jedi and TPM seemed like an eternity.
Well, it was probably because you were younger, and the years didn't fly by quite as quickly.

But also, that's still the longest gap between Star Wars films. The prequel trilogy's first film The Force Awakens came out only 10 years after Return of the Sith. It's an even shorter gap if you consider The Clone Wars movie. We're now in the 3rd longest gap between films, since it's been over 4 years since a theatrical film release, but the glut of TV shows likely means it doesn't feel like that long.

Interestingly, it's been over 7 years since the last Star Trek movie, which makes it the longest gap between theatrical films, but similarly we've instead have had a glut of TV shows to watch instead.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
IBJoel (05-03-24), ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 05-03-24, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewCrew
Reminds me of all of the overpriced crap that was sold when Phantom Menace originally came out. Fell for it then but not 25 years later.
I was so excited when the film was announced and I bought a lot of that crap. I just recently sold off the last of it at a garage sale. I had a couple of boxes full of the unopened figures and other assorted garbage. I didn't fall for it when Attack Of The Clones came out.
Old 05-03-24, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 507 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I was so excited when the film was announced and I bought a lot of that crap. I just recently sold off the last of it at a garage sale. I had a couple of boxes full of the unopened figures and other assorted garbage. I didn't fall for it when Attack Of The Clones came out.
I get a kick out of watching these news reports showing people scrambling to get as much Phantom Menace stuff as they can;

I'm glad I went to check out the movie this morning. I have to give it credit for looking fantastic, not only the creative visuals, but the quality of the projected picture was outstanding.

For all the movie's flaws, the action set-pieces are captivating, and more exciting then I remember them being 25 years ago. I just wish there weren't so many boring scenes dragging everything down. I actually took a break during the political section before the invasion to go for a walk around the lobby, check out movie posters. I felt refreshed when I came back in the theatre and final half hour kicked ass.

It was nice seeing a lot of guys bringing their young kids, I saw at least three five year olds. I found myself very forgiving of Jar-Jar because of how vocal the kids were about their appreciation of him. Clearly the most popular part of the movie for them.

The Phantom Menace is a big time marker for me. In May of 1999, it was the last movie I saw before moving from Ontario to Saskatchewan for 13 years. Now, in May of 2024, it's the movie I've gone to see just before taking a month-long trip back to Saskatchewan for the first time since leaving. I even saw the movie at the same theatre both times. Feels a bit like that Watchmen meme of Doctor Manhattan.
The following 3 users liked this post by Crocker Jarmen:
BrewCrew (05-04-24), ntnon (05-09-24), story (05-03-24)
Old 05-04-24, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,065 Likes on 655 Posts

Happy Star Wars Day!

The following 5 users liked this post by Cellar Door:
Jay G. (05-04-24), Meathead (05-04-24), Spiderbite (05-07-24), story (05-04-24), stvn1974 (05-04-24)
Old 05-04-24, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am going to watch the good versions of the OT today. Han just shot and killed Greedo with Greedo not even getting a single shot off. He also kept his mouth shut and didn't say anything stupid before Han blasted him.
Old 05-04-24, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 940 Likes on 663 Posts

Maclunky!

I've been doing a rewatch in chronological order with my daughter and will be starting Andor soon (finishing up Rebels this weekend). I need to track down the Depecialized Editions soon so she can see the originals.
Old 05-04-24, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,289 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The Star Wars marathons are completely sold out in my area. Anyone here going to one? You know you all want to play hookie from work for 2 days and not tell your wives.

Anyway, The Phantom Menace re-release is tomorrow and AMC is offering this R2D2 popcorn and drink vessel for $50

https://x.com/amctheatres/status/178...ROaaX6I5S_8l2Q
I believe they had that for one of the ST releases . . . I want to say they either marked them down or they were only $30 back then. I was going to use a bunch of my rewards for it, but missed out. Now, I'm not so interested.

I guess I was spoiled by the Dune bucket. How am I supposed to f@#! R2-D2?
Old 05-04-24, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,749 Posts

I saw The Phantom Menace re-release today. Honestly, I can't remember if I saw this in the theater back in 1999.

Anyway, I had not seen it in probably 20+ years. I think the last time I watched it was when I first got the 2-disc special edition DVD that has that 2 hour making of documentary.

Anyway, it was fine and I enjoyed the re-visit. 2 scenes that were great to see on the big screen were the Pod Racer sequence with Anakin and the 2 on 1 light saber fight scene with Obi Wan, Qui Gon and Darth Maul.

After the credits finished, they played a 5 minute extended action/fight scene from The Acolyte that featured Carrie Anne Moss and Amandla Stenberg and then they played the trailer.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-04-24 at 11:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The Cow (05-04-24)
Old 05-04-24, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 507 Likes on 332 Posts

The local performing art centre played Star Wars, and although their seats suck, their screen is huge. I was in the front row (because the bulkhead of a plane, there's room to stretch your legs), and having my entire field of vision filled with the movie was awesome. The most current cut with all the stupid bullshit, but what are you going to do. Great picture, awesome sound. Large crowd sowed up, and they were a responsive audience, the jokes got big laughs. Afterwards, I heard several conversations from young people (teens to twenties) saying they knew all the big moments, but had never actually seen the entire movie before. They all sounded like they had a great experience. What amazed me most was the snack bar, which gives you a pretty substantial hot dog for only $3 (Canadian). Never before have I encountered such reasonably priced theatre food (for contrast, it's $16 for 8 ounces of wine).
Old 05-05-24, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

For poster enthusiasts, Matt Ferguson's Episode I print is available to order through Sunday at Bottleneck. Hoping he gets to continue the anniversary posters.
The following 2 users liked this post by Artman:
Abob Teff (05-09-24), Michael Corvin (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,749 Posts

The Phantom Menace made $8.1M this weekend. For a re-release of a 25 year old movie with barely any marketing other than online, that’s pretty good.
Old 05-05-24, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,186 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
For poster enthusiasts, Matt Ferguson's Episode I print is available to order through Sunday at Bottleneck. Hoping he gets to continue the anniversary posters.
Saw that. I do like his work but not sure if I really want to spend $85 on a poster (after shipping).
Old 05-05-24, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 940 Likes on 663 Posts

Those are cool as hell and I am looking to add a set of 9 SW posters to my man cave but no sense buying one if I can't get the others.
Old 05-06-24, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Received 1,104 Likes on 641 Posts

I went to see Episode I with my wife as her first big-screen Star Wars (and her first time seeing it). She liked it more than any of the original trilogy, so obviously I'm filing for divorce soon.

Anyway, I hadn't seen it... probably since ROTS came out. A few things came to mind:
  • The film looks weird. Some shots have super soft focus, some composites are weird (not bad or good, they just don't look like any CGI composites since), and one or two shots were completely blurry.
  • The Naboo lightsaber duel's choreo is... bad. Or at least it only gets good when it's Obi-Wan vs Maul at the end. Obviously it's been 25 years for fight scenes to evolve, but this relatively simple 2 on 1 has tons of waiting around, stalling to hit a mark, obvious sword positioning, et cetera. I know it's a trained martial artist fighting two actors, but yeah should have gotten a wuxia choreographer. Sorry Nick Gillard (although I don't know to what degree he, like everyone else, was hamstrung by Lucas).
  • Some of the Jar Jar physical humor hit a little better this time around, but the talking was worse than ever.
  • The podrace was cool with the full sound system of a theater.
The following 3 users liked this post by IBJoel:
kefrank (05-06-24), ntnon (05-09-24), story (05-06-24)
Old 05-07-24, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,533 Likes on 4,470 Posts

This is a very old article I just discovered. Man, it kind of ruins Star Wars for me.

ON THE IMPLAUSIBILITY OF THE DEATH STAR’S TRASH COMPACTOR

by JOSHUA TYREE

I maintain that the trash compactor onboard the Death Star in Star Wars is implausible, unworkable, and, moreover, inefficient.

The Trash Compactor Debate turns on whether the Death Star ejects its trash into space. I, for one, believe it does. Though we never see the Death Star ejecting its trash, we do see another Empire ship, the so-called Star Destroyer, ejecting its trash into space. I, therefore, see no reason to suspect that Empire protocol dictating that trash be ejected into space would not apply equally to all Empire spacecraft, including the Death Star.

The Death Star clearly has a garbage-disposal problem. Given its size and massive personnel, the amount of waste it generates — discarded food, broken equipment, excrement, and the like — boggles the imagination. That said, I just cannot fathom how an organization as ruthless and efficiently run as the Empire would have signed off on such a dangerous, unsanitary, and shoddy garbage-disposal system as the one depicted in the movie.

Here are the problems, as I can ascertain them, with the Death Star’s garbage-disposal system:

1. Ignoring the question of how Princess Leia could possibly know where the trash compactor is or that the vent she blasts open leads to a good hiding place for the rescue crew, why are there vents leading down there at all? Would not vents leading into any garbage-disposal system allow the fetid smell of rotting garbage, spores, molds, etc., to seep up into the rest of the Death Star? Would not it have been more prudent for the designers of the Death Star to opt for a closed system, like a septic tank?

2. Why do both walls of the trash compactor move towards each other, rather than employing a one-movable-wall system that would thus rely on the anchored stability, to say nothing of the strength of the other non-moving wall, to crush trash more effectively?

3. Why does the trash compactor compact trash so slowly and with such difficulty once the resistance of a thin metal rod is introduced? Surely metal Death Star pieces are one of the main items of trash in need of compacting. It thus stands to reason that the trash compactor should have been better designed to handle the problem of a skinny piece of metal. (And while I hate to be the sort of person who says I told you so, I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that a one-movable-wall system would have improved performance.)

4. Why does the trash compactor only compact trash sideways? Once ejected into space, wouldn’t the flattened, living-room-sized, and extremely solid panes of trash that result from such a primitive, unidirectional trash compactor pose serious hazards for Empire starships in the vicinity?

5. And what of the creature that lives in the trash compactor? Presumably, the creature survives because the moving walls do not extend all the way to the floor of the room, where the liquid is. After all, if the walls reached the floor, the creature would be killed each time trash is compacted. The design employed on the Death Star must allow the organic trash to filter down to the bottom, where the parasitic worm-creature devours it. But what happens when heavier pieces of non-organic trash fall down there? Would such trash not get wedged under the doors, causing them to malfunction? Do stormtroopers have to confront the creature each time they retrieve pieces of un-compacted trash?

6. Why not have separate systems for organic and inorganic waste, thus allowing full compaction of the inorganics and a closed sanitary system for the organics?

7. Why does the Empire care, anyway, about reducing its organic garbage output? Are we to believe that the architects of the Death Star, a group of individuals bent on controlling the entire known universe, are also concerned about environmental issues? Would organic garbage rot in space? So what? Furthermore, why has the Empire gone to the trouble of acquiring a frightening parasitic worm-creature and having it eat all organic trash, especially given the aforementioned flaws in the design of the compactor and overall maintenance hassles?

8. Personally, were it up to me, I would have designed special garbage ships instead of employing a crude, cumbersome, and inefficient (to say nothing of unsanitary) compactor-worm combo to deal with the trash.

9. If the Empire insists on ejecting trash into space, why do they bother compacting it? Space is infinite, is it not? In such an environment, it hardly matters what size the trash is. In fact, a persuasive argument can be made that it’s actually better for the trash to take up more space so that it appears on radar systems as something for Empire ships to avoid. Compacted trash creates smaller chunks of harder trash that would undoubtedly cause serious damage to Empire starships. And needless to say, damage to starships would, in turn, create yet more hassles and headaches for the Empire.

Please understand, gentle reader, I am all for creating hassles and headaches for the Empire. I just doubt that the Empire would have created so many for itself. Q.E.D.

Old 05-07-24, 08:34 PM

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Reminds me of watching Terminator 2: Judgment Day with my dad.

"Oh, diesel fuel would ​​​never blow up like that."
Old 05-08-24, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Received 1,104 Likes on 641 Posts

It is always more important for a story to tell an emotional truth, than a literal one. AKA, don't try to overthink logically about this stuff (especially Star Wars).

Also, ask anyone in the military. There's all kinds of stupid shit, design, and protocols in even the most advanced fighting forces. It's unsurprising that something built as a superwepaon for an oppressive regime has a ton of oversights.
Old 05-08-24, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,218 Likes on 745 Posts

Another edit is coming...

Old 05-08-24, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the trash compactor scene bothers you try watching a military flick with my dad. Four years in the Marines and another twenty-six in the Army and he will make you turn the film off with all of his complaints.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Regarding the trash compactor, whatever they did with their refuse (dump it into space, recycle it, haul if off) they would want to crush it down to the smallest possible size just to make it easier to move it through the massive Death Star.
Old 05-08-24, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,143 Posts

I look forward to a new A Star Wars Story movie that fixes the trash compactor plot hole.

The following 4 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
IBJoel (05-09-24), ntnon (05-09-24), Obi-Wanma (05-10-24), TGM (05-09-24)
Old 05-08-24, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 742 Likes on 487 Posts

Eh, it's just another dumb design decision by the Empire. Done by the same contractors that did the exhaust port.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Cow:
IBJoel (05-09-24), ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 05-08-24, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 680 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Another edit is coming...

Looks cool, but I'm surprised they're keeping the alteration of Hayden Christensen in ROTJ.
Old 05-09-24, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Love keeping the upgraded visuals but things like the Biggs scene actually do drag the movie down. Not everything has to go back in.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.