Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Old 02-14-24, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts
Re: The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

I thought the consensus on the droids were that they're like toasters. Why would anyone recognize something so common? Would you recognize the toaster you owned right out of college?

Of course, separately that's true, but as milo pointed out Luke + Golden Protocol Droid + feisty blue astromech = shit going down.
The following users liked this post:
milo bloom (02-15-24)
Old 02-14-24, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,330 Likes on 906 Posts

Thanks, Michael. That was a 10-minute rabbit hole of time that I will never get back.

Holy crap there are a lot of Star Wars toasters . . .
Old 02-14-24, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I thought the consensus on the droids were that they're like toasters. Why would anyone recognize something so common? Would you recognize the toaster you owned right out of college?
Maybe, but if I’ve owned a bunch of toasters over the years my first reaction wouldn’t be “I don’t recall ever owning a toaster before.” When someone asks me about an old toaster I may have owned.
Old 02-14-24, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 830 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Maybe, but if I’ve owned a bunch of toasters over the years my first reaction wouldn’t be “I don’t recall ever owning a toaster before.” When someone asks me about an old toaster I may have owned.
Obi-Wan never owned a droid. He had one to navigate his ship, but he didn't own it, it may have been issued by the Jedi council when he needed it. Possession was forbidden.
Jay G. (02-15-24)
Old 02-15-24, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
That's true, but it's still more of an indictment of TLJ that they didn't figure out a better way to get the three leads together sooner.
TFA ending the way it did certainly did no favors for TLJ. Ideally, TFA would've ended with Rey and Luke actually having a short dialogue scene together - the equivalent of the "I want to learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi..." moment with Luke nodding in approval.(end movie) That way TLJ could've picked up several months later, with the plot having moved forward in a meaningful way.
Old 02-15-24, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts

That consensus would've worked if George didn't have R2 save the day as soon as it was introduced and then have Kenobi comment on it.
Old 02-15-24, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 513 Likes on 337 Posts

Valentine's week 1983, my local drive-in was playing Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back on a double-bill. My parents took me to this, but I was 4 years old, and promptly fell asleep. I all I remember is my mother waking me up so I could see Yoda, and I was disappointed, surprised to discover Yoda was an idiot, not at all the way I imagined the character to be based on the action figure I had.

Old 02-15-24, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
all I remember is my mother waking me up so I could see Yoda, and I was disappointed, surprised to discover Yoda was an idiot, not at all the way I imagined the character to be based on the action figure I had.

The following 3 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
IBJoel (02-15-24), milo bloom (02-15-24), story (02-15-24)
Old 02-15-24, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
That's true, but it's still more of an indictment of TLJ that they didn't figure out a better way to get the three leads together sooner.

I wonder if it would have worked for Luke to have sensed Leia's injuries from being sucked into space and grudgingly agreed to go back with Rey and Chewie just to see her, while still pushing back on training Rey.
What actual advantage is there for a Luke/Leia reunion earlier in the film, especially if you just separate them immediately after? You waited 34 years to see the reunion, was it really the additional hour and a half that was an unbearable problem? And again, TFA sets the "problem" up by setting Luke up as a hermit that abandoned everyone, including Han and Leia. TLJ was just working with the cards it was dealt.

It seems like a lot of people's problems with TLJ are problems TFA created, but nobody realized it at the time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
IBJoel (02-15-24), JayDerek (02-23-24)
Old 02-23-24, 09:19 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,015 Likes on 849 Posts

Imo…The Mandalorian is more Star Wars than the 6 new Star Wars movies the preceded it.
The following 3 users liked this post by OldBoy:
Abob Teff (02-23-24), candyrocket786 (02-23-24), milo bloom (02-24-24)
Old 02-24-24, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Imo…The Mandalorian is more Star Wars than the 6 new Star Wars movies the preceded it.
The six Star Wars movies that preceded it:
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story
  • Episode VIII – The Last Jedi
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • Episode VII – The Force Awakens
  • The Clone Wars
  • Episode III – Revenge of the Sith
I liked 3 of those.

Old 02-24-24, 08:20 AM

technically, i was talking about just the Episode movies. but, yours' works too.
Old 02-24-24, 08:48 AM

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,254 Posts

technically, i was talking about just the Episode movies. but, yours' works too.
Oh hey, youre back in this thread! I will take this opportunity to remind you of where we left it:

Quite some theories. Not that you thought of it too much.
Originally Posted by story
Why do you think if Obi-Wan knows and has interacted with R2-D2 and C-3PO in episodes 1-3, how come he doesn’t remember them at all in episode 4?
Looking forward to your response summarizing your own personal thoughts on your original question, thanks!
Jay G. (02-24-24)
Old 02-24-24, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Then it looks like you forgot that The Mandalorian premiered before Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker was released.
IBJoel (02-26-24)
Old 02-24-24, 11:03 AM

whatever. Either way, i said it was just my opinion. that's it.
Old 02-24-24, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The six Star Wars movies that preceded it:
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story
  • Episode VIII – The Last Jedi
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • Episode VII – The Force Awakens
  • The Clone Wars
  • Episode III – Revenge of the Sith
I liked 3 of those.
I'll probably revisit all of those (except for The Clone Wars) before I revisit the Mandalorian which is massively overrated. Season 1 was pretty excellent barring some cheap TV effects and character designs but it's just downhill from there. Season 2 was decent and 3 was pretty damn forgettable. Mando isn't a smart character and does dumb shit all the time for the sake of the plot (dumb tropes 101). That's just lazy writing. Then you have Book of Boba Fett (aka Mandalorian season 2.5) which was fucking hot trash. Mandalorian is fine for what it is, a weekly Star Wars adventure on the small screen. It's about on par with Stargate SG1. Good escapist tv but hardly top tier Star Wars, IMO.
Old 02-24-24, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,801 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
TFA ending the way it did certainly did no favors for TLJ. Ideally, TFA would've ended with Rey and Luke actually having a short dialogue scene together - the equivalent of the "I want to learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi..." moment with Luke nodding in approval.(end movie) That way TLJ could've picked up several months later, with the plot having moved forward in a meaningful way.
I’ve said before that TFA should have ended with Luke tossing the lightsaber away. The fanboys would have imploded
Old 02-26-24, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Received 1,108 Likes on 644 Posts

I'll probably revisit all of those (except for The Clone Wars) before I revisit the Mandalorian which is massively overrated. Season 1 was pretty excellent barring some cheap TV effects and character designs but it's just downhill from there. Season 2 was decent and 3 was pretty damn forgettable. Mando isn't a smart character and does dumb shit all the time for the sake of the plot (dumb tropes 101). That's just lazy writing. Then you have Book of Boba Fett (aka Mandalorian season 2.5) which was fucking hot trash. Mandalorian is fine for what it is, a weekly Star Wars adventure on the small screen. It's about on par with Stargate SG1. Good escapist tv but hardly top tier Star Wars, IMO.
For me what works in Mando S1 is that it goes back to when the Star Wars films pulled from various other media to create this (at times) weird hodgepodge. Star Wars is jidai geki + wuxia + westerns + WWII films, featuring characters on the fringes of society, the spirituality of Taoism, Buddhism, and Shinto, and the theme of anti-authoritarianism. S1 was mostly that: pulling from different sources to integrate them into a space opera story. Almost everything else in the franchise post-1999, but especially post-2005, has been about building up these complicated stories and giving context and connecting characters and stuff. Season 2 of course went that route and needed to bring in previous characters and removing the process element to cater to the story element (although I think the episode based on The Wages of Fear was good). I could see the writing on the wall, so I just haven't looked at season 3 at all.

Star Wars should never be getting inspiration from itself, never concern itself with building its "lore". It should always be pulling from other sources as the primary driver of making a new work.

I don't really know how to express it, but it should never "fold in on itself".
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Abob Teff (02-28-24), Michael Corvin (02-26-24)
Old 02-26-24, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Valentine's week 1983, my local drive-in was playing Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back on a double-bill. My parents took me to this, but I was 4 years old, and promptly fell asleep. I all I remember is my mother waking me up so I could see Yoda, and I was disappointed, surprised to discover Yoda was an idiot, not at all the way I imagined the character to be based on the action figure I had.

The Can-View! I've been to that drive-in.

This reminds me that back in the early 80s I cut out and collected newspaper movie advertisements (I had a shitload of Star Wars ones) and kept them in a binder. I wish I had kept it, the one above really brings back memories.

The following 2 users liked this post by cultshock:
IBJoel (02-26-24), story (02-26-24)
Old 02-26-24, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by IBJoel
For me what works in Mando S1 is that it goes back to when the Star Wars films pulled from various other media to create this (at times) weird hodgepodge. Star Wars is jidai geki + wuxia + westerns + WWII films, featuring characters on the fringes of society, the spirituality of Taoism, Buddhism, and Shinto, and the theme of anti-authoritarianism. S1 was mostly that: pulling from different sources to integrate them into a space opera story. Almost everything else in the franchise post-1999, but especially post-2005, has been about building up these complicated stories and giving context and connecting characters and stuff. Season 2 of course went that route and needed to bring in previous characters and removing the process element to cater to the story element (although I think the episode based on The Wages of Fear was good). I could see the writing on the wall, so I just haven't looked at season 3 at all.

Star Wars should never be getting inspiration from itself, never concern itself with building its "lore". It should always be pulling from other sources as the primary driver of making a new work.

I totally get what you're saying and never thought of it that way. Excellent thought process.
Old 02-28-24, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,330 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel

Can we get something even better than the LIKE button?
Old 02-29-24, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Absolutely agree with that too, I love exploring the lore as much as the next person, but if it falls in on itself it starts to feel shallow.

An example would be the ISB meetings we saw in Andor - yes, it gave us a new look into the inner workings of the Empire, but the feel was right out of one of those office dramas with the scheming and the backstabbing. That helped make that show some of the best SW material in ages.
The following 2 users liked this post by milo bloom:
Abob Teff (02-29-24), Paul_SD (05-02-24)
Old 03-21-24, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,792 Posts

https://www.starwars.com/news/skywalker-saga-marathon

If you have absolutely nothing to do this day.

All 9 movies will be screened in a row May 4th at theaters. That is a 20.8 hour marathon.

This will be a Star Wars Day long remembered.

Lucasfilm announced today that in celebration of the 25th anniversary of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, fans will have the chance to experience the entire Skywalker Saga in theaters this May the 4th, also known as Star Wars Day. This includes all nine episodic films in chronological order: Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

In addition, an exclusive look at The Acolyte, the upcoming Disney+ series set during the High Republic era, will be part of The Phantom Menace screenings. Finally, those attending will receive a special limited edition poster. Tickets go on sale tomorrow, Friday, March 22, at 9 a.m. PT / 12 p.m. ET.

We would be honored if you would join us for this rare opportunity to see Star Wars as it was intended: on the big screen!

Last edited by DJariya; 03-21-24 at 03:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
IBJoel (03-22-24), milo bloom (03-22-24)
Old 03-21-24, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts

That sounds like it might be fun to attend, but I'd leave after Return of the Jedi.
Old 03-21-24, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 129 Likes on 111 Posts

This includes all nine episodic films in chronological order

Force Awakens, Last Jedi and Rise/Skywalker don't have any episode numbers in their titles/scrawls. Therefore, they shouldn't count.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.