Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Old 09-21-16, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 742 Likes on 487 Posts
Re: Disney planning more Star Wars movies from 2021 and onwards

^^ since you are counting TV series, there are at least 11 Transformers TV series.
Old 09-21-16, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,347 Likes on 2,138 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
^^ since you are counting TV series, there are at least 11 Transformers TV series.
Oops, good catch. Didn't think about that.

Thanks for ruining my snark, Buddy!
Old 09-22-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 869 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
My only issue is that it took them this long to get this going. I'm 42 years old, sure I've got a good amount of time left in me, but all so many of us ever wanted was more adventures with Mark, Harrison and Carrie while they were in their prime.

And we absolutely need a Spielberg Star Wars movie.
Lucas really stuck it to Star Wars fans after basically going into hibernation after the Prequels. We could have had these films a decade ago with the original cast.

These planned sequels would be far better with younger versions of Harrison Ford and crew running around. Their age kills so many potential story-lines.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 09-22-16 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-22-16, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
obviously they are going to bleed this thing dry. I'm sure a prequel trilogy to the prequel trilogy will happen. As well as a sequel trilogy to the sequel trilogy.
If Marvel can do it, then I'm all in for Star Wars. Bring on as many quality films as possible.

Slightly OT... was watching the PT movies on TNT the last few nights as my son saw them on the guide... Dear Lord they are awful. I know that's like saying "water is wet" but after 15, 16 years they not only have almost no redeeming plot value but the FX are utter garbage.

Phantom, Lucas did us a favor. He was never going to bring us a proper 7-9 trilogy. I'd rather have a passing of the torch than a forced plot with a 55 year old Han rather than a 70 year old Han.
Old 09-22-16, 06:51 AM

Received 4,731 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Knights of the Old Republic is the film I want the most.
Old 09-22-16, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
If Marvel can do it, then I'm all in for Star Wars. Bring on as many quality films as possible.

Slightly OT... was watching the PT movies on TNT the last few nights as my son saw them on the guide... Dear Lord they are awful. I know that's like saying "water is wet" but after 15, 16 years they not only have almost no redeeming plot value but the FX are utter garbage.

Phantom, Lucas did us a favor. He was never going to bring us a proper 7-9 trilogy. I'd rather have a passing of the torch than a forced plot with a 55 year old Han rather than a 70 year old Han.
Completely terrible. I was watching them on TNT as well and actually found Phantom Menace to be more watchable than Attack of Clones. I think Attack may be one of the worst movies ever made. It's Ed Wood level bad.
Old 09-22-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
Completely terrible. I was watching them on TNT as well and actually found Phantom Menace to be more watchable than Attack of Clones. I think Attack may be one of the worst movies ever made. It's Ed Wood level bad.
I trieed watching Phantom and Attack on TNT the last couple of nights,

Aside from Ian McDarmind and Ewan McGregor (and Liam Neeson to an extent), I don't think anyone else (including Lucas) wanted to put any real effort into what they were doing. Yeah, they weren't given much to work with, but dang, at least look like your trying! And the effects, sheesh, the OT holds up much better there too.

As far as Disney going hog wild, I'll wait until after Rogue One and Episode VIII to get excited. Sure, they've held it together with their Marvel franchises so far, but Star Wars is a different animal altogether.
Old 09-22-16, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Only matter of time till this guy's standalone movie

Old 09-22-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts

^The Space Adventures of Gallagher II?
Old 09-22-16, 09:28 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The Adventures of Porkins
Old 09-22-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Lucas really stuck it to Star Wars fans after basically going into hibernation after the Prequels. We could have had these films a decade ago with the orignal cast.

These planned sequels would be far better with younger versions of Harrison Ford and crew running around. Their age kills so many potential story-lines.
Yeah, I don't want to be accused of ageism, I'm certainly thrilled they got the Big 3 back for the new movies, but yeah, not doing a sequel trilogy in the 90's or even at the time he did the prequels was massive missed opportunity. The prequels could have been done at literally any time. The only crossover actor (that showed his face onscreen) was Ian McDiarmid and he could have done it any time.
Old 09-22-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

Although in the 90s, it would have taken a shitload more effort and convincing to get Harrison Ford to play Han Solo again. Especially if it was another trilogy.
Old 09-22-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Lucas doing a sequel trilogy right after the prequels would have been a fucking shit show.
Old 09-22-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I don't want to be accused of ageism, I'm certainly thrilled they got the Big 3 back for the new movies, but yeah, not doing a sequel trilogy in the 90's or even at the time he did the prequels was massive missed opportunity. The prequels could have been done at literally any time. The only crossover actor (that showed his face onscreen) was Ian McDiarmid and he could have done it any time.
One thing I remember reading back in the 80's was that Lucas wanted to wait to do the sequels, because he wanted the Big 3 to be older, so that Luke could take on the Obi-Wan mantle. I think he said it would be at least 20 years. So, we aren't that far off the mark. And, as has been said, any attempt to get Harrison Ford back earlier would most likely have failed.
Old 09-22-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I don't think Rogue One will get a sequel. We'll see.

Considering the (somewhat reliable) rumor that Rogue One ends 10 minutes before the first scene of A New Hope...
Old 09-22-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoboDad

Considering the (somewhat reliable) rumor that Rogue One ends 10 minutes before the first scene of A New Hope...
What about the team of Bothans that get the plans for second Death Star? At least we know the body count would be pretty high.
Old 09-22-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 357 Likes on 240 Posts

Maybe, but the Big 3 would not have done it in the 90s (at least not all 3) and Lucas directing would have wasted having them anyway. I actually think we're much better off the way it has played out, where we can all just ignore that the prequels exist and enjoy the fact that Episode 7 is at least a pretty good movie that has Luke, Leia and Han again.
Old 09-22-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,312 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
I think Attack may be one of the worst movies ever made. It's Ed Wood level bad.
I would watch Plan 9 over AotC any day.
Old 09-22-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 869 Likes on 730 Posts

Attack of the Clones literally put me to sleep the first time I watched it. I never could have imagined a Star Wars movie doing that to me.

I think it's only a matter of time until Disney tosses the Prequels and completely reboots them. That is the standard Hollywood strategy anyway and I don't think anyone holds them in high regards.
Old 09-22-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't think Disney will trash the prequels. There's really no reason to go backwards anymore in the timeline unless they want to go WAY back and do KOTOR timeline stuff. Better to just go forward into the future.
Old 09-22-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a part of me that wishes they would hire someone like Abrams to do re-edits of the prequels. While I can enjoy them, I can't help but feel that George's old skills as an editor are what really failed him there. All three could do with both being trimmed for pacing and having some critical deleted scenes re-inserted. It would give Disney an excuse to put them back in the theaters and maybe soften some of the hard feelings too many people have towards the franchise as a whole.
Old 09-22-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 357 Likes on 240 Posts

There's a part of me that wishes they would hire someone like Abrams to do re-edits of the prequels. While I can enjoy them, I can't help but feel that George's old skills as an editor are what really failed him there. All three could do with both being trimmed for pacing and having some critical deleted scenes re-inserted. It would give Disney an excuse to put them back in the theaters and maybe soften some of the hard feelings too many people have towards the franchise as a whole.
I don't know. I think all the fan edits how there have proven that there is a lot more wrong with those movies than just the editing.
Old 09-22-16, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.... I dunno. Script and directing didn't seem that hot either.

There's some shit acting in them all too.

Disney should just keep them as they are. Whatever that means cuz there's various versions from Lucas.

It'd be against Kennedy's intent into going back to what went wrong. She's about moving on and creating positives. There's no positive in fixing a negative that still would be a negative w/ whatever positives you can fix on it.
Old 09-22-16, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 336 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Knights of the Old Republic is the film I want the most.
...and the film I want least. Well, maybe not LEAST, but I really have no desire to see anything from the prequel era or earlier. I'm not even thrilled with the fact that all the "Story" movies seem to be prequels. I'd rather see stories about other characters going on at the same time as the current Saga films.
Old 09-22-16, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,974 Posts

I can think of a few pre-prequel films that could be interesting.

I'd like to see a film about the Sith before Darth Bane's "Rule of Two" was established. That could be some dark, crazy shit.

A KOTOR or "Tales of the Jedi"-era thing might be good, too. The Dark Horse TOTJ comics started out sort of interesting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.