DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/648954-terminator-dark-fate-tim-miller-2019-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 10-27-19 11:10 AM

Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

details coming...

DJariya 10-27-19 04:20 PM

Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Seeing it Friday in 4DX. It’s gotten mostly positive feedback from the early screenings.

OldBoy 10-27-19 04:32 PM

Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

yeah this might be first Terminator movie i see in theater since 3...

Orbi-Wan Techno 10-30-19 09:48 AM

Been rewatching all of the Terminator movies the past couple of days, hoping the doc clears me on Friday (severely broken foot) so I can catch Dark Fate this weekend and write a review.

E Unit 10-30-19 12:44 PM

I just found out last weekend that Gabriel Luna, one of the terminators in this movie, is my second cousin. He's the son of one of my Dad's cousin. Who knew. Will I now watch it? Nope.

DJariya 10-30-19 12:53 PM

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_dark_fate/

68% after 113 reviews. It's holding on to a majority of positive feedback.

My favorite movie vlogger John Campea saw it last night and enjoyed it and he was completely down on the series. He thought everything after T2 sucked, especially Genisys.

For comparisons sake, Genisys in 2015 had 27% after 258 reviews.

Shannon Nutt 10-30-19 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13632420)
I just found out last weekend that Gabriel Luna, one of the terminators in this movie, is my second cousin. He's the son of one of my Dad's cousin. Who knew. Will I now watch it? Nope.

:lol:

Mike86 10-30-19 04:31 PM

I’ll probably go on Friday or Saturday. The trailers didn’t necessarily sell me on the film, but the positive word of mouth has piqued my interest. Plus I’ve seen all the films theatrically since Rise of the Machines so I’d have seen it either way more than likely.

TheGuy 10-30-19 04:57 PM

Saw a preview last night. Was a pretty good action flick. Not without problems, they hit on all the current SJW talking points, and here was a scene where they didn’t age a actor to fit the time frame and it was confusing. Was great seeing Linda and Arnie back together again.

Edit to add:
Spoiler:
Also suffers from the same problem as T2, the new terminator can change into anyone but keeps going back to look like the same person, E Unit cousin, if he was different every time he could just walk-up to his target with ease.

3 out of 5

Edit to add: Linda Hamilton, yeah she is old and looked and sounded old, but I liked that they didn't Sandra Bullock her with tons of makeup, she looked very natural and it was refreshing because I was not thinking to myself "look at all that makeup" during the movie.

Why So Blu? 11-01-19 12:35 AM

Wow, just got back from this and it was the best fucking action movie of the year. It hit all the right notes for me, especially as a Mexican, and having Sarah Connor back was icing on the cake. Yes, she's battleworn, but having them do what they did to John totally caught me off guard. So for those wondering what Eddie Furlong being cast in the film was all about -- it may have just been him doing some mocap for the movie and nothing more.

Arnold was also great and they did a great job of explaining how he's in it. I think folks need to forget T3/Salvation/Genisys altogether. Dark Fate is basically the 3rd installment of the Cameron series. Mackenzie Phillips was also great. I've always thought she was a good actress and quite hot, and she continues the trend of being those things.

I'm hoping this one makes some money, because they do have more story to tell. I'm intrigued by what "Legion" is even though you can see that they're taking the "for we are many" term and running with it. Man, some of the action set-pieces were off the frame! I saw it in Dolby Cinema, but I'll be back to see it again in IMAX.

Shannon Nutt 11-01-19 06:18 AM

I'm with TheGuy on this one...this is just an "okay" movie. The Linda Hamilton/Arnold stuff is great, but Linda doesn't show up (other than quick scene at the beginning that has her younger) until about 20 minutes into the movie and Arnold doesn't show up until the halfway point. The new characters are mostly all uninteresting.

Some of the early action stuff is good, but there's an extended plane/dam sequence towards the end that is way too long and heavy on the CGI - it's also one of those sequences that takes place at night (probably to hide the so-so computer effects), so depending on if your local theater dims their projection lamp or not, viewers may have a hard time making out what is even going on. :lol:

The movie is more or less the same plot as T2 with new characters plugged in, but as I said - they're not nearly as interesting as the two characters we already know.

For entertainment value, yes, this is better than the last couple of Terminator films, but it's not even close to the two directed by Cameron (despite him getting both a story and a producing credit here). It's about on par with T3: Rise of the Machines.

robin2099 11-01-19 01:58 PM

I'm torn on what to think of this. On the one hand, I did enjoy it, but on the other hand the whole thing feels lazy and is basically a gender swapped remake of T1/T2. It just seems lazy and is almost like the filmmakers were saying "screw it noting else worked just do a gender swapped version of T2." I liked the opening and it made me wonder if that was Arnold and Linda, or body doubles. They really treat John Connor poorly though. It was nice to see Arnold back even though he doesnt show up until 3/4 of the movie is over, and I also enjoyed Linda Hamilton being back. Didn't really care for the new characters at all but they aren't awful either. I think the biggest problem is Grace can't hang with Kyle Reese or Arnold, and Dani is just...eh. I also think trying to carry the franchise on the back of the Dani character now is stupid. Action scenes were good but, the finale goes on for too long and could have been trimmed a bit.
So overall I thought it was decent but still nowhere near the first two. It's just another mediocre Terminator movie in the vein of the last 3. I'll probably give it a 3/5. It's worth it to follow up with the Sarah Connor character again but this is by no means the T3 everyone was hoping for. And by the same token, if you do not want to follow up with the Sarah Connor character, it probably isn't worth watching.

brayzie 11-01-19 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by robin2099 (Post 13633722)
They really treat John Connor poorly though. It was nice to see Arnold back even though he doesnt show up until 3/4 of the movie is over, and I also enjoyed Linda Hamilton being back. Didn't really care for the new characters at all but they aren't awful either. I think the biggest problem is Grace can't hang with Kyle Reese or Arnold, and Dani is just...eh. I also think trying to carry the franchise on the back of the Dani character now is stupid.

Spoiler:

Wow, so they killed off John Connor but the Resistance still happens and Dani is the leader. That means there were no real stakes to begin with in T1 and T2 if humanity's salvation isn't dependent upon John Connor being born and surviving Judgment Day. Skynet won and assassinates him before he Judgment Day, but some other human ends up starting the Resistance anyway.

coli 11-01-19 03:15 PM

I really thought if Cameron came back that they would do something new instead of ‘The Force Awakens’ reboot with a new generation of characters. I love T1 and T2 but I’ll skip this one as this sounds like it’s no different than the Sequel Trilogy.

Inhumans99 11-01-19 05:25 PM

I watched it on an XD theater today and it was great. I also was pleasantly surprised with the female John Connor character and would be happy to see her and Linda in another film.

Having said that, unfortunately this is the end of the road for the franchise unless it does insane numbers once out on home video, it may not crack 30m...ouch.

Still, very entertaining film.

dvdjunkie32 11-01-19 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13633452)
I'm with TheGuy on this one...this is just an "okay" movie. The Linda Hamilton/Arnold stuff is great, but Linda doesn't show up (other than quick scene at the beginning that has her younger) until about 20 minutes into the movie and Arnold doesn't show up until the halfway point. The new characters are mostly all uninteresting.

Some of the early action stuff is good, but there's an extended plane/dam sequence towards the end that is way too long and heavy on the CGI - it's also one of those sequences that takes place at night (probably to hide the so-so computer effects), so depending on if your local theater dims their projection lamp or not, viewers may have a hard time making out what is even going on. :lol:

The movie is more or less the same plot as T2 with new characters plugged in, but as I said - they're not nearly as interesting as the two characters we already know.

For entertainment value, yes, this is better than the last couple of Terminator films, but it's not even close to the two directed by Cameron (despite him getting both a story and a producing credit here). It's about on par with T3: Rise of the Machines.

This was my reaction as well. In fact, I dozed off during the plane stuff. I just can't stand movies anymore that go heavy on the CGI. It doesn't make the Terminator feel real or threatening to me. I was pretty into the film during the factory part and the freeway chase season but after Arnie shows up, I started to lose interest. I enjoyed T3 more than this one. At least T3 had an interesting story showing how Skynet started to take over. At least stop repeating the same damn jokes. I can't believe Goyer would think audiences would just love to see another Terminator arriving stealing clothes scene which has been done to death. I did chuckle a bit at the scene playing the Dwight Yoakum song. haha. A call back to one of my favorite parts in T2.

dex14 11-01-19 06:26 PM

I thought this completely sucked. So boring and dull. El Terminador looked like he needed to take a shit the whole time.

This franchise needs to die. It is well past the expiration date.

Mackenzie Davis was the only good thing about this.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13633411)
Wow, just got back from this and it was the best fucking action movie of the year.

No way. It has nothing on John Wick 3. Hell, it isn't even in the same league as Hobbs & Shaw.

dvd-4-life 11-01-19 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13633872)
I thought this completely sucked. So boring and dull. This franchise needs to die. It is well past the expiration date.

No way. It has nothing on John Wick 3. Hell, it isn't even in the same league as Hobbs & Shaw.

Yeah-I thought it sucked also.

Nothing new. Seems like a rehash of the first one.

Linda Hamilton needs to play a grandmother in a movie.

Her voice sounds awful. Does she smoke cigarettes?

The Antipodean 11-01-19 08:22 PM

And... it looks like yet another Terminator flop.
https://deadline.com/2019/11/termina...ce-1202774477/
Oy, let’s hope this gets better. The James Cameron-produced Terminator: Dark Fate is falling below its $30M-$40M projections with an anticipated $28M weekend at 4,086 theaters after an $11.3M Friday that includes last night’s previews.

It's time to put this baby to bed. I'll see T6 eventually but it's hilarious to me that I recall some critics after EVERY one of these movies saying it's the "BEST SINCE T2", whether it's T3, Salvation or Genisys... it's time to let the future rest.

candyrocket786 11-01-19 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13633872)
I thought this completely sucked. So boring and dull. El Terminador looked like he needed to take a shit the whole time.

This franchise needs to die. It is well past the expiration date.

Mackenzie Davis was the only good thing about this.

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/me...gomY/giphy.gif

DJariya 11-01-19 11:44 PM

I just got out of seeing it just now and I thought was quite good. It was definitely better than the last two Terminator sequels. I also thought it was good seeing Arnold and Linda Hamilton back together again. Linda does look really old and her acting was a little rough but it is what it is. But Mackenzie Davis was the highlight for me she was a really good pseudo Terminator/protector. the one thing about Gabriel Luna's Terminator is that he was just basically a slightly upgraded version of Robert Patrick's from T2. Not a lot of differences between the two. except the splitting up feature. I've never heard of the actress who played Daniela but I thought you was quite good for an unknown and had some of the vulnerability from a really young Linda Hamilton. the ending for me works as a series finale so if this is the end I'm cool with it.

And it was interesting that Arnold was basically just a "special guest star" in this one when he was the star of 4 of the first 5 movies.

tanman 11-02-19 12:06 AM

Without spoiling it can someone tell me if it's beneficial to revisit the past movies? Or is a watching the first two 50 times and the subsequent movies just once years ago while only halfway paying attention/groaning in agony enough?

DJariya 11-02-19 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13633995)
Without spoiling it can someone tell me if it's beneficial to revisit the past movies? Or is a watching the first two 50 times and the subsequent movies just once years ago while only halfway paying attention/groaning in agony enough?

You don't need to watch T2 again. If you already know the basic story and how T2 ends, you're good going in cold. And there is zero point watching Salvation and Genisys again. Both have indeed been wiped out from canon.

DJariya 11-02-19 12:23 AM

I thought the 1998 flashback sequence looked really good. I'm guessing they took Linda and Edward Furlong's faces from 1991 and CGI'd them over body doubles and used motion capture tech for the facial expressions.

It was impressive took. I thought I was looking at newly shot footage from Linda 28 years younger.

That was a little cheesy for Cameron to publicize that Furlong was back, but in actuality only as a manufactured CGI flashback.

DeanoBKN 11-02-19 02:29 AM

I thought it completely sucked. So boring, not once did I feel any suspense or tension. The new Terminator was very meh, and this completely made T1 & T2 all feel like it was for nothing.

I tell myself i’m done with this series after every one past 2 but yet again I like to be disappointed. It’s time for it to die.