Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
2.44%
14.63%
31.71%
24.39%
4.88%
14.63%
2.44%
0%
4.88%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 01-14-20, 08:42 AM

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,090 Posts
Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Draven
Here’s a YouTube clip from a month ago that shows it how you describe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pD2oL_a227k
That clip is weird, though, the sound is all T2.
Old 01-14-20, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by story
That clip is weird, though, the sound is all T2.
I think they are trying to get around copyright. This mashup with T2 shows the same sequence:

They do show John’s blown out chest in the terminator vision bit at the end.
Old 01-14-20, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Yeah, looks like I probably remembered it wrong. I could have sworn there was that first impact blast shown, but it could have just been John dropping to the floor and then the aftermath that followed.

I only have the UHD and not the hardcopy, so can't verify that the disc doesn't also look the same, which it probably does.
Old 01-25-20, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Pretty good (second) reboot for this long-running franchise with some decent action, respectable enough visual effects (some parts looked off, though) and I did genuinely liked the two new cast members while Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger were fine.

That being said, it's also pretty clear this is not a franchise that needed to have gone beyond the two movies (and I might give leniency to "The Sara Connor Chronicles"). The saving grace is that on the technical front, it was an entertaining popcorn flick but like Genysis (which I also liked tbh), not really sure when I would revisit. 3.5/5
Old 02-02-20, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

Just watched this last night. I liked it a lot, but I agree with some of the criticism that it doesn't really offer much new and was basically a retread of the first two Terminator movies. It's definitely my favorite of the post-T2 sequels. Having Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger back was great, and I really liked Mackenzie Davis as Grace.
Old 02-02-20, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
...and was basically a retread of the first two Terminator movies.
This. And it's one of the reasons why I liked Salvation. It was different. Not sure why Cameron signed off on this seeing that it doesn't matter what happened at the end of T2, the future outcome will still be the same. Whether it's Skynet or Legion or whatever else...
Old 02-06-20, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I finally caught up with this over the weekend. As an action movie, it was okay. But as a Terminator movie, ugh. While it was good to see Linda and Arnold together again (the latter actually had some funny lines), it definitely was a retread. I don't like how it totally negated T2 and I don't really buy that a terminator would go on to have a normal human life after it accomplished its mission. Some of the CGI shots of people jumping around were bad. Not Matrix Revolutions-terrible, but they still took me out of those scenes.

Grace Randolph brought up something in her spoiler review, which would've been a no-brainer addition. There is absolutely zero explanation as to who Sarah's military contact is and how they got connected. Why didn't they make that character Miles Dyson's son, since he's one of the very few people who knows about the war she prevented, as well as the reason behind his father's sacrifice? He'd have a motivation to help her. Instead it's just some random dude.
Old 02-06-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

That would've been a great touch. Miles was a fantastic character. However, his family was part of the Sarah Connor Chronicles, so maybe they figured it was a retread of an idea if it ever came up (even though all Terminator sequels are filled with retread ideas).

I totally forgot Dyson was in Genisys as a creator of Skynet along with his son and John Connor, basically.
Old 02-06-20, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

When I saw that her contact was a black actor, I specifically thought he was going to be Miles's son. I was really surprised he wasn't.
Old 02-06-20, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Saw it and thought it was ok. It tried to do something new with Arnold's role post Mission which was interesting...and actually made sense on some level.
Old 03-16-20, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Rented it and I thought it was okay. Didn't really have a issue with John Connor being killed as there are so many other versions where there is a John Connor in the future. However, not sure what is stopping Dani from getting killed at some point after this movie and there being a new savior, thought they might even have Dani killed off in this movie and show somebody else stepping up as the leader in the future.
Old 03-21-20, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Finally saw this On-Demand and I think this is more insulting than The Force Awakens in terms of unoriginality. I'm surpised that Cameron, Linda and Arnold would come back to something like this but it shows that $$$ talks and big paycheck is a big paycheck. And Hollywood shows how out of touch as the whole movie is ALL girl power while they are to sell it to a male dominated audience. That would be like Hallmark movies starting to have explosions and huge action scenes when the majority of people who watch are females like my mom. Message to Hollywood, "Know your audience!"
Old 03-21-20, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

True, Terminator fans are notorious for disliking heroines.
The following 3 users liked this post by JeremyM:
DJariya (03-21-20), GoldenJCJ (03-21-20), Why So Blu? (03-21-20)
Old 03-21-20, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

^ used my first “like” here.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
JeremyM (03-21-20), story (03-21-20)
Old 03-21-20, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Finally saw this On-Demand and I think this is more insulting than The Force Awakens in terms of unoriginality. I'm surpised that Cameron, Linda and Arnold would come back to something like this but it shows that $$$ talks and big paycheck is a big paycheck. And Hollywood shows how out of touch as the whole movie is ALL girl power while they are to sell it to a male dominated audience. That would be like Hallmark movies starting to have explosions and huge action scenes when the majority of people who watch are females like my mom. Message to Hollywood, "Know your audience!"
uhhh Cameron came up with the story and produced it. And no it wasn’t some SJW statement. Sorry you interpreted that way.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (03-21-20)
Old 03-21-20, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
True, Terminator fans are notorious for disliking heroines.
I knew someone would respond to my post with this type of answer, which shows you misinterpreted it. Nobody has a problem with a great female lead, Sarah Connor was beloved by fans, Ripley was beloved by fans, Princess Leia was beloved by fans. As unoriginal as the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy was, I liked Rey's character and thought Daisy Ridley did a good job. The problem is the movie is ALL female leads and that is what I meant by girl power, so there is not one male character that you can latch onto. Arnold was just important as Sarah Connor in T2 where he is essentially a secondary role in this one (Kyle Reese was a great male character in T1), so the movie is dominated by the new heroin, the female protector and Sarah Connor. THAT is what I meant by girl power trying to connect with a mostly male audience.

Originally Posted by DJariya
uhhh Cameron came up with the story and produced it. And no it wasn’t some SJW statement. Sorry you interpreted that way.
As I stated earlier, I liked the Rey character in the new Star Wars movies so you're taking my 'girl power' comment out of context (which I knew would happen because everyone defaults to the extreme political opinion that my post was sexist). I'm just saying that when you're majority audience is male, those same people like cool male characters. Nothing more, nothing less, I did not once say they shouldn't have a female protagonist, nor they shoud not have any female characters. If that were true, than I never would have loved T1 and T2, I'm just saying to find the right balance.

Last edited by mcnabb; 03-21-20 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-21-20, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I picked up the Best Buy steelbook and did a mini-Terminator marathon that included Terminator 3, Salvation and Genisys. Will need to watch again as I wasn't overly impressed with it but good to see Hamilton and Arnie back at it.
Old 03-21-20, 02:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Dark Fate is proof unless Cameron actually writes the story/screenplay and directs it, his input means very little. Alita is another example. I finally saw Dark Fate as well. My only thought on it was that it was generic, and added nothing to this universe.
Old 03-21-20, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
I picked up the Best Buy steelbook and did a mini-Terminator marathon that included Terminator 3, Salvation and Genisys. Will need to watch again as I wasn't overly impressed with it but good to see Hamilton and Arnie back at it.
I know Salvation wasn’t well received but after seeing the last few Terminator films, I wish they would have continued with the Future Trilogy rather than changed things up fro Genisys and Dark Fate.

I didn’t hate Dark Fate but I’m one of those that hated seeing John go out like that. Genisys is purely forgettable. I hardly remember anything about it.
Old 03-21-20, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Genisys was awesome up to a certain point - when they went from 1984 (good) to Present Day (bad).

The intro was amazing (seeing the T-800 use the time machine), along with the action, music, and John Connor's speech. It was great. Then the BTTF 2 treatment of the 1984 scenes was really fun. And then they decided to go to Present Day, which killed it.

Old 03-21-20, 04:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

since when did Terminator fans not like women protagonists? the franchise is built on it and besides T3 and Salvation has always been a women, mostly Sarah in different incarnations. plus, Cameron used a heroine in Aliens. why no likey in Terminator's?
Old 03-21-20, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I liked Dark Fate as I said back in November. I even bought the 4K UHD disc when it came out week 1. We all have different opinions and I’m not offended that McNabb didn’t like it. I’m just a little confused when he seems to think the movie doesn’t work because it didn’t have a strong male lead for men to relate to. I don’t know I just don’t get that line of thinking. MacKenzie Davis was terrific IMO as the lead. Doesn’t matter what her sex is,

Last edited by DJariya; 03-21-20 at 07:32 PM.
JeremyM (03-22-20)
Old 03-21-20, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
The problem is the movie is ALL female leads and that is what I meant by girl power, so there is not one male character that you can latch onto. Arnold was just important as Sarah Connor in T2 where he is essentially a secondary role in this one (Kyle Reese was a great male character in T1), so the movie is dominated by the new heroin, the female protector and Sarah Connor. THAT is what I meant by girl power trying to connect with a mostly male audience.
Originally Posted by OldBoy
since when did Terminator fans not like women protagonists? the franchise is built on it and besides T3 and Salvation has always been a women, mostly Sarah in different incarnations. plus, Cameron used a heroine in Aliens. why no likey in Terminator's?

If it were solely more female protagonists and one secondary male character I don't think that itself would be a problem. I think that, in conjunction with killing of young John Connor and having him not matter to the survival of humanity, makes it feel more like "girl power" and checking off what they think audiences want, and less like a natural progression of the story.
Person of Color protagonist? Check.
Female-centric cast? Check.
Non-binary/gender fluid-looking protagonist? Check.

Now, that I have a problem with those elements in a work of fiction. But considering that the Terminator franchise is desperate to stay relevant, it comes across like they're trying to hop on current trends rather than tell a great story. Same with Terminator: Genisys. The previous one didn't do big #s. Hey, 80s nostalgia is hot. Lets have it take place in the 1980s! And lets make sure we include all the iconic moments and elements from the first two, because doing something different=bad. T-1000 cop? Check. Father figure Arnold? Check.
And so on, and so on.

Terminator: The Sarah Chronicles on the other hand started out as being more female-led but then got balanced out with the addition of Kyle's brother, which didn't seem intentional. And while I liked Derek Reese, it was perfectly happy with the original trio being the main cast. But overall, it seemed like a more natural progression of the story. Cameron wasn't the first female Terminator, but she was actually a nuanced character unlike the T-X who was actually referred to as a "Terminatrix" in the film, and displayed the ability to enlarge her breasts.

Cameron was also a focus of the series without sidelining the character of John Connor or diminishing his role in the mythos. You could make the argument that T: TSC was hopping on a trend of teen dramas, since it felt like that at times. John and Cameron going to school, will they-won't they get together. But since it was supposed to be a long running show, that took place in the future as well as the present, they had a chance to break out of typical teen drama conventions.
Old 03-21-20, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Just watched this last night. I liked it a lot, but I agree with some of the criticism that it doesn't really offer much new and was basically a retread of the first two Terminator movies. It's definitely my favorite of the post-T2 sequels. Having Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger back was great, and I really liked Mackenzie Davis as Grace.
Quoting myself to say that, really, the best post-T2 sequel is the tv series, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I especially liked where it was headed in season 2. So sad that it was cancelled after that.
JeremyM (03-22-20)
Old 03-21-20, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Because, about five years ago, attitudes have regressed since the 1980s and a certain vocal segment of the population feels under attack and throws a hissy fit whenever they see a hero who isn't a white male. Sarah Conner and Ripley get a tentative pass for The Terminator/T2 and Aliens because they're grandfathered into pop culture, but if those characters were introduced today, they would be met with a stream of white genocide/"save the males" attacks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.