Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
2.44%
14.63%
31.71%
24.39%
4.88%
14.63%
2.44%
0%
4.88%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

You know after thought, I would probably have to change my rating to a 2.5/5. The movie is entertaining but it just fails so much from a story perspective with "We stopped Judgement Day! Oh wait ANOTHER artificial intelligence service will be built that will create a new Judgement Day!" Looks like the true sequel to Terminator 2 is T2: Battle across time. You had Cameron back to direct and write the story and the entire cast as well. Oh and this Pitch Meeting episode is hilarious.

Old 11-04-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I agree with most, a really good action flick but just seems Terminator is the same story all the time. Send something from the future to kill something in the past and send another something from the future to protect the something from the past.

I did enjoy that it answered my question regarding T3 stating three Terminators were sent back in time in case one failed. Like, what if The T-800 from 1984 had succeeded. What would it have done. I guess start a drapery business.

You know, though, after watching this one I really thought trying to go after the tech that created the Terminators is pretty pointless. Why aren't they going after the tech that created the ability to send them back through time. Destroy that shit!

Old 11-04-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I saw it on friday night. Mostly empty theater. I thought it was good but not great. I liked the action scenes.
one question I have (which may have been answered in T2) is why did the Arnie's terminator age and grow a beard? Was it mentioned in a previous movie that terminators age?
Old 11-04-19, 12:00 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I saw it on friday night. Mostly empty theater. I thought it was good but not great. I liked the action scenes.
one question I have (which may have been answered in T2) is why did the Arnie's terminator age and grow a beard? Was it mentioned in a previous movie that terminators age?
The flesh is organic human flesh.
Old 11-04-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
In context, that comparison makes no sense. In Alien 3 you had them kill off Hicks and Newt, having their only appearance be Aliens. It's not like we didn't know John Connor. That character has been in T2, T3, Salvation, Battle Across Time, Sarah Connor Chronicles, and Dark Fate. It's an apples to oranges comparison and the haters are really reaching for something that isn't there.
Only two of those movies count in terms of Dark Fate. The others don't take place in this "universe."
Old 11-04-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Only two of those movies count in terms of Dark Fate. The others don't take place in this "universe."
Nah, screw that. Now they're trying to have their cake and eat it, too. There's been plenty if iterations of JC and that's more than enough.
Old 11-04-19, 04:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i didn't think this was too bad. i mean we saw it all in T2, but the action was solid and the ties to it were good. the whole new Legion/Skynet thing is a little stupid, but it was definitely pretty solid. Hamilton was a little irritating at first with all her grool and drool and quips and stuff, but i guess just genisys of character of what she's been through. still plotholes aplenty...

like why all the Terminators over the years that T-101 helped and she destroyed? who were they after if John dead? and if Dani, why someone never sent back then to save her or if still her, why did it take so long to find her, the technology of the Rev-9 needed to be created or something? i didn't get that whole thing.

and i guess why i asked earlier in other thread why did Connor hate T-101 in the trailer was answered, though the CG of Arnie made him look even younger than in 84, which i think was faux pas, but Hamilton and Furlong was done pretty well.

and that the fate hung in her balance as it did with John makes John's saga a little less impactful (T2, Salvation, Sarah Connor Chronicles), since it didn't matter if he lived or died ever. but, solid action, a little heart, great nostalgia, but definitely and completely recycled from T2. of course the theme song never gets old.

Last edited by OldBoy; 11-05-19 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-04-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

As usual, all the "Best sequel since the first one" hype on Terminator movies wears off pretty quickly once people actually SEE it... They need to put a nail in the coffin of all the Terminator/Alien/Predator failed sequels once and for all.
Old 11-04-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

The biggest problem with the Terminator franchise is that they’ve tried to reboot it way too many times. When the last three films in the franchise all attempt and fail at gaining traction with audiences it’s just wasting time, money, and effort. This is coming from someone who liked this film and in general likes the franchise (including Salvation and Genisys).
Old 11-04-19, 06:26 PM

They’ll milk it to death. What do they care? I’m sure when all is said and done (release, physical release) they may make at least a few bux. There’s hardly any originality when it comes to Hollywood blockbusters. Everyone has seen just about everything. But, they think they may hit lighting in a bottle and may have a winner, if not let’s do it all over in a few years, let’s even rehash the same story from the series best in 2. They don’t give a shit. They’ll pit Terminator, Alien and Predator in next one. You know it’s coming...
Old 11-04-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
They’ll pit Terminator, Alien and Predator in next one. You know it’s coming...
Hopefull they'll throw in Michael Myers and Robocop too.
Old 11-04-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The biggest problem with the Terminator franchise is that they’ve tried to reboot it way too many times. When the last three films in the franchise all attempt and fail at gaining traction with audiences it’s just wasting time, money, and effort. This is coming from someone who liked this film and in general likes the franchise (including Salvation and Genisys).

I think the studio was hoping for a Spider-Man situation, because that series was rebooted twice.to the point where the first three films and the two Sony films prior to Homecoming do not even tie into the current run of Spider-Man films. I am fine with reboots, but as is often the case even if the reboot is a pretty good film (which Dark Fate was, in my humble opinion) it does not guarantee box-office success.

As much as folks would like to roll their eyes at the idea that Spider-Man Homecoming could have bombed, the reality is that there is always the possibility that a film connected to the greater Marvel Universe could indeed be that rare swing and a miss for Marvel/Sony.

I was hoping this film had a chance to become a modest success at the box-office, so there was the slim possibility that a sequel could be greeenlit even with the mandate that it had to have a reduced budget, but it basically straight up bombed domestically and internationally so yeah...we are done with Terminator films.
Old 11-04-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I looked at Arnold's facebook and it looks like he's in Japan promoting the movie. So I guess they are doing some kind of promotional tour. Japan is a small territory, so it's not going to do big business there.
Old 11-04-19, 08:13 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I always wished they went deeper in time to kill the John Connor bloodline... one back to the 1940s or 50s... one back to the old west.... medieval times. Would be interesting to see a movie of this... each John Connor ancestor whooping ass with conventional weapons of the time against a far superior foe... go smaller... more intimate... back to the horror roots... not bigger and louder.
Old 11-04-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TGM
I always wished they went deeper in time to kill the John Connor bloodline... one back to the 1940s or 50s... one back to the old west.... medieval times. Would be interesting to see a movie of this... each John Connor ancestor whooping ass with conventional weapons of the time against a far superior foe... go smaller... more intimate... back to the horror roots... not bigger and louder.
Have you watched Sarah Connor Chronicles? There's a couple of those type of episodes in there.

Old 11-04-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I do wonder if younger generations even care about this franchise like the Gen-X’ers do? Most Gen-X’ers I know have sort of moved on from the franchise as T2 is the peak and the last few movies are one cluster fuck after another. I just know that this movie was not on any of my nephews radar, and only old foggies like me even knew it was coming out. Even if the movie got good reviews, I still don’t think younger generations see it.
Old 11-04-19, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by TGM
And directed by Robert Zemeckis, EP: Spielberg and starring Michael J. Fox as every age of Connor via the new CGI.
Old 11-04-19, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli
I do wonder if younger generations even care about this franchise like the Gen-X’ers do? Most Gen-X’ers I know have sort of moved on from the franchise as T2 is the peak and the last few movies are one cluster fuck after another. I just know that this movie was not on any of my nephews radar, and only old foggies like me even knew it was coming out. Even if the movie got good reviews, I still don’t think younger generations see it.

I think there's some truth to that. The youngsters of today only care about the MCU and stuff like that, but us older folk that grew up with T1 & T2 have a bit more vested interest in the franchise.

Personally, this whole timeline from Dark Fate can be salvaged if the filmmakers/studio partner up with Netflix or another streaming service and expand that way. Let's bring forth "The Legion Chronicles," because I don't see two more feature films in this franchise's future.
Old 11-04-19, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I doubt it. I grew up being obsessed with T2 and a fan in general and even I had no interest in the last three films.

Originally Posted by OldBoy
And directed by Robert Zemeckis, EP: Spielberg and starring Michael J. Fox as every age of Connor via the new CGI.
That’s the first thing I thought of too. I don’t like the idea of Terminators all throughout history.

Every post-T2 sequel seems very limited in imagination. There’s a huge jump from T1 and T2. Skeletal-like steel T-800 and then a liquid metal terminator!
Then T3 was lazy and just merged those two together while adding a flamethrower, buzz saw, and bombers launcher.
Salvation gave us a half human half terminator. Boring.
Genesys was a T-800 and a TX-like terminator.
Now in Dark Fate they’re reusing the Marcus idea and another TX-like terminator.
Old 11-04-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I thought this was pretty fun. The flashback scene with 1992 era Arnie, Linda, and Furlong was super cool. My only issue was that the new villain terminator was essentially a new T-1000 (Robert Patrick's character). Wish they could have come up with something different.
Old 11-04-19, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really think Salvation is quite underrated. Forever before that film a bunch of the fanbase wanted to see the actual war versus the machines play out, and that’s exactly what was delivered with that film.

It was a change in pace from the standard Terminator is sent back in time to kill John or Sarah Connor premise. As far as the human/Terminator hybrid (Marcus), while that’s been done a couple times since that was a different take on a character in the Terminator universe at the time it came out. Bale was decent as John Connor in my opinion. Also didn’t mind Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese, and even Sam Worthington who I’m not a big fan of was pretty good as the Marcus character.

Not a flawless movie by any means but it doesn’t deserve near the amount of hate that most throw at it.
Old 11-05-19, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

In context, that comparison makes no sense. In Alien 3 you had them kill off Hicks and Newt, having their only appearance be Aliens. It's not like we didn't know John Connor. That character has been in T2, T3, Salvation, Battle Across Time, Sarah Connor Chronicles, and Dark Fate. It's an apples to oranges comparison and the haters are really reaching for something that isn't there.
Newt and Hicks should have been used to push the Alien franchise forward after Sigourney Weaver wanted out. That's why killing them off (and Ripley, too, as Weaver came crawling back to franchise and had to be resurrected through a ludicrous cloning plot device) in Alien3 was a bad call.

As far as John Conner in the Terminator franchise goes, big fucking deal. It's not like John Conner is ever going to win that perpetual war with Skynet, and there's so much time travel going on that the franchise is being rebooted with every new project. Kill him off in one movie, and he'll be alive in well in either the next one or the one after it.
Old 11-05-19, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nah, screw that. Now they're trying to have their cake and eat it, too. There's been plenty if iterations of JC and that's more than enough.
Kind of like the people promoting Genisys and now Dark Fate.

NON-HATERS: Genisys is the TRUE sequel to Terminator 2, the previous sequels don't count.

NON-HATERS: Dark Fate is the REAL TRUE sequel to Terminator 2. The previous sequels, including Genisys, don't count.

HATERS: They killed off John Connor in Dark Fate. That's bullshit.

NON-HATERS: What does it matter? You already saw him more than enough in all those previous sequels that don't count.

Last edited by brayzie; 11-05-19 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-05-19, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I really think Salvation is quite underrated. Forever before that film a bunch of the fanbase wanted to see the actual war versus the machines play out, and that’s exactly what was delivered with that film.
They did finally give us a future war but it was a let down. The brief bits we see in Kyle's flashbacks from the '84 film were way better than Salvation. The problems with Salvation's depiction of it were listed in depth in the thread for that movie.

Bale was decent as John Connor in my opinion. Also didn’t mind Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese, and even Sam Worthington who I’m not a big fan of was pretty good as the Marcus character.
And it was underrated?? Bale was "decent" and you didn't "mind" Yelchin as Reese. Not exactly high praise.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Newt and Hicks should have been used to push the Alien franchise forward after Sigourney Weaver wanted out. That's why killing them off (and Ripley, too, as Weaver came crawling back to franchise and had to be resurrected through a ludicrous cloning plot device) in Alien3 was a bad call.
I think the head of Fox was right that story has to be centered around Sigourney Weaver as Ripley. I think it was a bad decision for Weaver to insist that there be no guns in the third film and that they can't go to Earth. But to be fair, none of the alternative scripts/stories for the third movie were that great either.

As far as John Conner in the Terminator franchise goes, big fucking deal. It's not like John Conner is ever going to win that perpetual war with Skynet, and there's so much time travel going on that the franchise is being rebooted with every new project. Kill him off in one movie, and he'll be alive in well in either the next one or the one after it.
Yeah, it's not a big deal. They killed off John Connor in Genisys. And they recycled that idea for Dark Fate.

Last edited by brayzie; 11-05-19 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-05-19, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
They did finally give us a future war but it was a let down. The brief bits we see in Kyle's flashbacks from the '84 film were way better than Salvation. The problems with Salvation's depiction of it were listed in depth in the thread for that movie.

And it was underrated?? Bale was "decent" and you didn't "mind" Yelchin as Reese. Not exactly high praise.
I did also say it wasn’t a flawless movie. It’s not perfect by any means, but is it this horrible piece of shit as just about anyone who’s a passing fan of the franchise will have you believe? No, it definitely isn’t. So in that sense I do think it’s underrated as many people write it off as a bad movie. It’s the one sequel that tried to be different and people still hated it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.