DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Northman (2022, D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård, Dafoe, Taylor-Joy, Hawke, Bang, Björk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/648895-northman-2022-d-eggers-s-kidman-skarsg%E5rd-dafoe-taylor-joy-hawke-bang-bj%F6rk.html)

dex14 10-17-19 01:11 AM

The Northman (2022, D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård, Dafoe, Taylor-Joy, Hawke, Bang, Björk

BREAKING: Robert Eggers, the director behind the critically acclaimed horror film, The Witch, has potentially assembled a starry cast for his latest project, The Northman, set up at New Regency. Oscar-winner Nicole Kidman, Alexander Skarsgård, The Witch’s Anya Taylor-Joy, Bill Skarsgård, and Oscar nominee Willem Dafoe are in talks to star this film, which is being produced by Lars Knudsen (Hereditary, Midsommar).

The pic is described as Viking revenge saga set in Iceland at the turn of the 10th century. Eggers penned the screenplay with Icelandic poet and novelist, Sjón.

New Regency co-financed Eggers’ soon-to-be-released ghost drama The Lighthouse, also starring Dafoe as well as Robert Pattinson. The black and white feature was named best movie at Cannes’ Critics Week and Directors’ Fortnight by the International Federation of Film Critics.
https://deadline.com/2019/10/nicole-...rs-1202761727/

Decker 10-17-19 01:17 AM

Re: The Northman (D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård (x2), Dafoe, Taylor-Joy

No Stellan, no sale. :mad:

But Kidman and Alexander Skarsgard had great chemistry in Big Little Lies S1. I would love to see them together in something fresh.

devilshalo 10-18-19 01:35 PM

I think this script has been floating around since the mid-90s.

Dr. DVD 10-20-19 10:12 AM

I'm sold

dex14 02-24-20 06:13 PM

The Northman will re-team Eggers with Oscar-nominated cinematographer Jarin Blaschke (The Lighthouse), and Blaschke recently teased the film in a chat with Screen Daily.

He told the site, “It’s a bigger movie than the others. I can say it’s a Viking revenge movie and we are shooting in Europe. It’s dark and unusually violent.”

“I think [Eggers] feels a responsibility to do a trilogy,” Blaschke also noted, suggesting that The Witch, The Lighthouse and The Northman will form a spiritual trilogy of sorts. And that checks out, as Eggers had said something very similar to us last year. He explained, “[The Witch and The Lighthouse] are me trying to commune with folk culture of my past and are me and my brother’s take on New England folk tales. So they’re certainly companion pieces.”

Toddarino 02-25-20 06:36 AM

I know I’m in the minority, but I hated the Witch and strongly disliked the Lighthouse. I’m sure I’ll check this out though regardless. He’s a talented guy, just hasn’t put together an enjoyable film (for me that is).

Hokeyboy 02-26-20 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Toddarino (Post 13692865)
I know I’m in the minority, but I hated the Witch and strongly disliked the Lighthouse. I’m sure I’ll check this out though regardless. He’s a talented guy, just hasn’t put together an enjoyable film (for me that is).

I thought The Witch was mediocre, but I loved The Lighthouse. I don't mind a slow burn as long as it brings tension, mood, suspense, character growth, etc. The Lighthouse succeeded where The Witch didn't, the latter being much less than the sum of its parts. Still, Eggers still makes fascinating movies to watch. I'll be there for this one :up:

DaveyJoe 02-26-20 11:27 AM

Inject it into my veins.

dex14 12-20-21 08:06 AM

re: The Northman (2022, D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård, Dafoe, Taylor-Joy, Hawke, Bang, Björk

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...c0acdda46.jpeg

In Theaters April 22

From visionary director Robert Eggers comes THE NORTHMAN, an action-filled epic that follows a young Viking prince on his quest to avenge his father’s murder. With an all-star cast that includes Alexander Skarsgård, Nicole Kidman, Claes Bang, Anya Taylor-Joy, Ethan Hawke, Björk, and Willem Dafoe.

GoldenJCJ 12-20-21 08:31 AM

Re: The Northman (2022, D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård, Dafoe, Taylor-Joy, Hawke, Bang, Björk

Wow, that looks pretty damn good!

Why So Blu? 12-20-21 12:20 PM

Re: The Northman (2022, D: Eggers) S: Kidman, Skarsgård, Dafoe, Taylor-Joy, Hawke, Bang, Björk

Damn, that looks awesome!

E Unit 12-20-21 12:46 PM

Look like any season of the TV show Vikings. Ethan Hawke as a Viking? Uhh…

Let’s see if they bring out a blood eagle!

Hokeyboy 12-20-21 01:08 PM

Yeah I'm there.

Decker 12-20-21 03:43 PM

It's Assassin's Creed Valhalla : The Movie!

DJariya 12-20-21 03:48 PM

I only watched part of the 1st season of Vikings. Never really got into it and I just had too much to watch.

But, this does look similar to it. Dark, Gritty and violent Nordic war movie. yeah I'll check it out.

E Unit 12-20-21 04:00 PM

Actually, the show of Vikings gets WAY darker than what’s in this trailer. It’s an outstanding show all around. This movie looks and feels like a condensed version, which isn’t a bad thing at all. I’ll give this a watch as well.

Boondock Saint 12-20-21 04:39 PM

Enjoyed Vikings. I'll check this out.

asianxcore 12-21-21 01:49 AM

Looks neat. Björk looks cool.

Will definitely check this one out.

Gunde 12-21-21 04:12 AM

The VVitch is a masterpiece, and while The Lighthouse was a disappointment for me, Eggers is very interesting filmmaker, so I'm in for this 100%.

TomOpus 12-21-21 05:41 AM

Never saw Vikings. Looks like an A24 movie. Might check it out if there's nothing else to watch.

JayTL 12-21-21 10:37 AM

I want this movie inside me right now.

Provide me that warmth, Eggers

dex14 12-21-21 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by JayTL (Post 14028720)
I want this movie inside me right now.

Provide me that warmth, Eggers

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...32a2d84f24.gif

Dr. DVD 12-21-21 09:01 PM

This looks bad ass. I will keep my expectations in check as I know Eggers is a slow burn director and the trailer is probably a bit misleading. Haven't seen Lighthouse, but really enjoyed The VVitch .

Why So Blu? 04-06-22 04:26 PM

Got my tickets for opening weekend in Dolby Cinema. Looks like the madness from Doctor Strange 2 going live today has somewhat died down. Get ye tickets.

dex14 04-11-22 12:19 PM

Reviews are starting to drop: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_northman
It sounds awesome.

There was a pretty good piece on Eggers in The New Yorker a few weeks back: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-go-mainstream

Also, Eggers' early short of Hansel & Gretel was recently put up online: