Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Robert Forster dead at 78

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Robert Forster dead at 78

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-19, 08:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts
Re: Robert Forster dead at 78

I always thought, as a heterosexual male, Robert Forster, was one, damn fine, rugged looking man. I could see him as the Marlboro man, which unfortunately that could have killed him.
Old 10-12-19, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

R.I.P.

About 2 years ago, I met Robert Foster after a local screening of Jackie Brown (1997). Such a nice person!

A few years before that, during a Q&A for Maniac (1980) & Vigilante (1982), Director William Lustig called up Robert Forster on his phone at around 11pm. Forster answered the phone and apologized to everyone for not being able to make the screening. He even stayed on the phone for a short time after that to answer some audience questions!
Old 10-12-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I always thought, as a heterosexual male, Robert Forster, was one, damn fine, rugged looking man. I could see him as the Marlboro man, which unfortunately that could have killed him.
After reading your post I just checked his filmography to see if he was in any Westerns as he would have made a damn fine cowboy, especially in his older years. Sadly it looks like he was only ever in one western (out of 186 acting credits!)...in 1968!

Such a shame. What a missed opportunity. Casting him alongside someone like Robert Duvall in their later years could have been a great Western pairing.
Old 10-12-19, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Me as well. RIP Max Cherry...
Yep.

One of things I was looking forward to on the new Disney service was watching the Black Hole again. it's been decades since I've seen it, and I'm sure its awful, but I also knew Robert Forster was the lead so I was still a little excited about it.
Old 10-13-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Medium Cool and Jackie Brown are two of my favorite films.
Old 10-13-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I watched him in "Alligator" (1980) on YouTube the other night in tribute, as it's one of those goofy Jaws rip-offs of the late '70s I've always been curious to see. It's a goofy fun movie, and Forster is terrific in it. He holds you on the screen no matter how silly the story gets. I'm kind of glad he went out on a high with El Camino just having come out, and so many people having him fresh in their minds.
Old 10-13-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

This is just gonna be the golden era where we’ll start seeing all our heroes fall left and right soon enough. Pacino, De Niro etc. just isnt all that far behind.
Old 10-13-19, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I always thought, as a heterosexual male, Robert Forster, was one, damn fine, rugged looking man.
Marlon Brando thought the same of him in John Houston's Reflections in a Golden Eye.
Old 10-14-19, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
This is just gonna be the golden era where we’ll start seeing all our heroes fall left and right soon enough. Pacino, De Niro etc. just isnt all that far behind.
Don't say that. I think my dad is in that age range
Old 10-14-19, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Did anyone know he had brain cancer, or was this a private thing only those close to him knew?

Wow, Peggy Lipton, Catherine Coulson, Miguel Ferrer, and Robert Forster. Cancer SUCKS.
Old 10-14-19, 07:40 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by shannon nutt
did anyone know he had brain cancer, or was this a private thing only those close to him knew?

Wow, peggy lipton, catherine coulson, miguel ferrer, and robert forster. Cancer sucks.
David Bowie!!
Old 10-14-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Did anyone know he had brain cancer, or was this a private thing only those close to him knew?

Wow, Peggy Lipton, Catherine Coulson, Miguel Ferrer, and Robert Forster. Cancer SUCKS.
Peter Fonda

Aging makes you more susceptible to cancer, even if you live a healthy lifestyle.
Old 10-14-19, 09:18 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Peter Fonda

Aging makes you more susceptible to cancer, even if you live a healthy lifestyle.
He was listing actors who were on Twin Peaks who've all recently died of cancer.
Old 10-14-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

It was kept private as far as most know. One of my coworkers met him several times and noticed he stopped making public appearances recently.

As far as Miguel Ferrer goes, he was a heavy smoker when he was younger, that’s probably how he got the throat cancer.
Old 10-14-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
It's gonna be far worse in the music world, where a lot of heroes from classic rock are now in their 70s.
Old 10-14-19, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It was kept private as far as most know.
Actors prefer to keep those diagnoses quiet because it impacts their ability to find work.

Old 10-15-19, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

It was kept private as far as most know. One of my coworkers met him several times and noticed he stopped making public appearances recently.

As far as Miguel Ferrer goes, he was a heavy smoker when he was younger, that’s probably how he got the throat cancer.
I was just wondering if David Lynch knew. He certainly knew about Ferrer, which is why he had such a huge part in Twin Peaks: The Return. David had the crew come in on weekends to film Ferrer's scenes which upset a lot of people because they thought they were placating an actor's schedule - but it was because Ferrer was getting chemo on weekdays - no one knew but Lynch, Sabrina Sutherland, and a couple Showtime execs. The cast didn't even know.
Old 10-15-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Actors prefer to keep those diagnoses quiet because it impacts their ability to find work.
Miguel Ferrer literally worked until weeks before his death on NCIS Los Angeles. I watch the show and he was in horrible shape. Lost a ton of weight and had almost no voice. But, he chose to keep working at the expense of his poor health.
Old 10-15-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Miguel Ferrer literally worked until weeks before his death on NCIS Los Angeles. I watch the show and he was in horrible shape. Lost a ton of weight and had almost no voice. But, he chose to keep working at the expense of his poor health.
That's sad.
You would think that would be a time to spend with family rather than work...
Old 10-15-19, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

He was good on Karen Sisco as well. Jackie Brown is so amazing.